[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (25 of 27)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Oct 16 20:34:55 UTC 2011

I have returned safely from my trip and will
finish posting this tale within a couple of
days.  Thank you everyone for your patience and a
big thanks to Hallan for his betareading.

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

March 12, 708 CR

Angus stretched and smiled as he stared out
across a clear morning lush with fresh white snow
and brilliant blue sky. Just as they'd hoped
there was not even a hint of cloud anywhere and
the wind had died to the faintest of feathery
breezes. Even the snow, despite the violence with
which it had whipped them yesterday, was only a
few inches thick on the ground, and along most of
the rocks had been blown free. It would be a beautiful day for climbing.

“Well,” the badger said with a grin that revealed
his sharp fangs, “it looks like we have good
weather today. Let's have a quick bite and get on our way.”

James attached his hoof shoes and looked up,
casting a quick glance at Charles and Baerle who
were similarly attiring themselves in their
corner of the cave, “If we're going to go in pairs, who goes with who?”

Angus took a few steps back down into the cave
until he came to the remnants of their cookfire
and started going through his gear. “Since we
have to protect each other in case of falls, it's
best to judge by size. That means James you come
with me, and Charles goes with Baerle.” The
donkey ground his teeth and flicked his tail
once. It wouldn't matter in the end anyway.

“Which flank should we take?” Charles asked as he
slipped his boots and tightened the laces.

“The northern pass is a narrower along several
stretches. You two would handle that easier than
either James or I.” Angus dipped one claw into
the pile of ash and drew a mountain on the stone
floor and then two paths around it. “We walk for
about an hour more through this valley, and then
there will be paths as we leave and start up the
mountain. You two will take the right fork and
James and I will take the left. By mid-afternoon
we should reach the other side. When you reach
the small grove of trees on the other side, wait there for us.”

“Or meet you there,” Charles added with a nod and
a tap of his chewstick against his teeth. “How
many more talismans should we see on the slope?”

“Two more,” Angus tapped positions on the path
about a third of the way around the mountain from
either direction. “And there are cracks all over
the mountain, so even if we need to take shelter we can.”

“I guess that's it,” James said, standing up and
hoisting his pack. The bell thrummed against his back. “Let's get going.”

Baerle looked at him and blinked. He could never
turn away when she gazed at him. “Didn't you want something to eat, James?”

The donkey smiled to her and nodded. “Of course.
A little something before we go.” A few more
minutes delay wouldn't matter. “So, what do we have?”

----------

Jessica was roused from sleep by the squeaking
voices of two young squirrels. Darien and
Christopher stood just inside the door , long
tails twitching with every flick of their
whiskers, as they warned her in louder and louder
whispers that it was time for her to get up. By
the time they were speaking in normal tones, she
had enough energy to blink open her eyes and push herself into a half crouch.

“It's morning, Mistress Jessica,” Christopher
said with a eager twitch to his jowls. “Father asked us to get you up.”

Darien held out a small covered basket. “We brought you fresh sausage!”

She still felt very groggy and so decided to cast
a simple little spell to try and clear her mind
and renew her energy. Something using the
hyacinth. She let her gaze settle on the two boys
and she chuckled under her breath. “Thank you,
both. Now if you put the sausage down, I'd like
to try a little spell on you two.”

“Will it hurt?” Darien asked with wide eyes and alert tail.

“Not at all. Just hold still.” She could only
truly reach out for the hyacinth when casting
magic, and this was a perfect excuse. A little
bit of fun that the boys could tease each other
about later. Even with her mind still darkened by
sleep's cold grip, she was able to craft the
spells, the same spell she had placed on Berchem.
As soon as she reached for the hyacinth's power,
she felt her own body begin to sooth and clear.
And when she placed both incantation on the boys,
she felt as fresh as if she'd just enjoyed a long
glide through crystal clear air.

Darien and Christopher squeaked in surprise as
their posture changed, features softening even
underneath all of the fur. A faint suggestion of
femininity dented their chests. Both of them
looked at each other and then themselves in
horror. “Oh yuck!” Darien exclaimed in a higher pitched voice.

Christopher echoed her now sister. “Girls!”

“Change us back!” Darien begged.

“You can leave Darien like this as long as you
change me back,” Christopher suggested with a cackling laugh.

“No!” Darien pipped. “Change me back and leave Christopher like this!”

Jessica stretched as she stood and squawked in
vivacious pleasure. “Just a little trick, that's
all. Now, let's get you two boys right again.”
Jessica reached out her wing claws and severed
the cords of magic between the little squirrel
girls and the hyacinth. Within a few seconds both
of them were once again the rapscallion boys of the Glen.

“Now,” Jessica said with a faint laugh, “I can
trust you two boys not to tell anyone about this?”

“I'm not telling anybody!” Darien said with an
emphatic nod. Christopher bounced his head up and
down like only a squirrel can.

“Good, now go and tell your father that I am on my way.”

The two squirrel's almost scampered over each
other as they pushed out the door, bounding on
all fours down the hallway in their enthusiasm.
Jessica's beak broke into an avian grin. How she loved those boys.

She took the basket in one wing claw and after
tossing aside the little cloth on top, she
scooped up the trio of sausage links and gorged
them. They were made form elk meat, thick with
salt, and entirely scrumptious. She'd have to
remember to ask Jurmas the Innkeeper who made them.

Once finished she carried the basket down to the
Inn's common area, left it on the main counter
with one of the servants, and then headed
straight down the stony path toward Berchem's
burrow. The morning was crisp and clear, with a
warmth that spoke clearly of Spring. What little
snow had fallen the night before was already melting.

Lord Avery and Alldis were waiting for her
outside Berchem's home. The door was swung open
and she could see a faint shimmering of light
from the fire within reflecting off the wooden
roots framing the door. Both squirrel and deer
turned to greet her with warm smiles. “Are you
feeling better?” Lord Avery asked. “Erica told us what you saw last night.”

“I am much better, milord,” Jessica replied with
a slight bow to the squirrel. “How is Berchem?”

“Almost catatonic,” Alldis grunted and waved a
long arm toward the door. “Jo cannot even get him to take his broth anymore.”

“Then there's no time to waste,” Jessica said with a sigh. “Is Burris here?”

“In the room waiting for you,” Lord Avery said
with a long chittering sigh. “We'll be here.”

Jessica swept down the steps and saw that the
skunk had been placed on his pallet again;
otherwise the small home was in much the same
condition that it had been the night before. The
lines of powder she'd painstakingly erected were
gone, consumed in the last moments of the spell.
With what she intended, she wouldn't need them now.

Burris leaned over the skunk, offering short
incantations to try and relax the skunk's
muscles, but nothing seemed to be working. Jo
fretted over the kettle with her latest batch of
broth, but her bowl sat untouched next to the
skunk's head. His jaws were clenched together so
tight that they were actually bleeding. And more
blood was dribbling out his ears.

“Oh thank Akkala you're here!” Jo exclaimed when
she saw the hawk land in the center of the room.
“I can't do anything for him anymore.”

Jessica glanced at Berchem's constricted face and
felt her stomach tighten. She had seen men die in
battle, but never a death so slow or so painful
as what the irascible skunk now endured. “A
powerful sleep spell might work, but after what I
saw last night, it might not.”

“Do you really think the magic of Marzac is
involved?” Burris asked as he stepped back from the pallet.

“It felt like it,” Jessica said in a harsh
whisper. “I'll know for sure in a moment. Don't
interfere. This is going to be risky.”

Burris and Jo both moved to the other side of the
room while Jessica took the two steps to the
pallet and bent over the skunk. Berchem had
curled into a fetal ball, his tail wrapped up
beneath his head like a pillow. His claws were
digging into his chest fur, but not yet fierce
enough to draw blood. Jessica swallowed,nervous,
and let the veins of magic come to life around her.

The knot in Berchem's head had tightened further,
drawing more and more magical threads into its
weave. The threads passing through his body but
not yet drawn into the knot were dwindling; she
counted less than thirty left out of the hundreds that ought to be there.

Jessica could still feel the energy from the
hyacinth. Normally she only applied it to her
curse changing spells, but given what had
happened the last time she'd tried this on
Berchem she knew she couldn't take the chance of
her spell becoming so tightly embedded into the
skunk that she couldn't remove it.

Instead she crafted a very simple spell that
bound the skunk's ears to her own, and with the
hyacinth grounding her, she brought the spell
into contact with the knot. A simple matter of will opened the connection.

And she was slammed against the wall as a huge
bell tolled above her louder than any dragon's
roar or even the inferno that had engulfed
Marzac. The aural concussion made her try to
scream, but she couldn't even hear anything but
that ever renewing resonance of that vaulted
bell. Her eyes filled with a vile black shadow
that coalesced into the shape of the bell,
vaulted and terrible. But not one bell, nine
bells in a grid, carillons coming into focus and
resolving from some leftover malice that now
clung to Berchem's mind and fed from it like a
leech. Swollen and engorged, the bell smashed its
bulk with every peal that made her fear her bones
were going to melt into jelly.

After only the seventh peal, Jessica was able to
grasp the spell connecting her to Berchem's mind
and she ripped it apart. If not for the strength
that flowed from her hyacinth, she knew, even as
she fell to the floor gasping and watching drops
of blood fall from her beak, that she would have died as surely as the skunk.

Jo was at her side with a small cloth gently
dabbing the blood smearing her black feathers.
“Are you okay?” she whispered as if from miles away.

“No,” she replied with a gasp, startled to
realize that her own voice was just as remote.
How badly had just those few knells hurt her
ears? “I heard it... I heard the bell in his
mind. It is Marzac. There was... there was a
carillon of nine bells in one of the rooms at the
Chateau. They're what's caused this.”

“Are you okay?” Lord Avery called down the steps
as Burris and Jo helped Jessica get back to her feet.

“I will be in a moment.” Jessica said in a clear
voice. Already her hearing was coming back, but
her ears still stung with the faint tremor of the
ringing. “It's one of my friends who did this.
Charles or James. I don't think any of the others
have been through here since the plague.”

Alldis grunted. “It's James. I checked all the
Polygamites, but none of their hooves match what
I found. And James has been carrying around a bell he made a few weeks ago.”

Jessica breathed heavily, gathering her strength again. “Where are they?”

“In the mountains,” Lord Avery replied as he
offered the hawk a hand to help her climb out of
the skunk's burrow. “It'll take days to find them.”

“I can fly there today,” Jessica said. “if I can
find them I can warn Charles and we can put a
stop to this. Once we destroy that bell, Berchem should recover.”

“What should we do until then?” Jo asked.

Jessica sighed as she glanced back down into the
home. The skunk still lay curled into a tight
ball, his face more pained than even an expert
torturer would seek. “Do whatever you can for
him. I don't think he'll last another day.” She
turned to Lord Avery and met him with intent
eyes. “Where exactly are they going? Who is with them?”

“Angus and Baerle. They went into the mountains
just south of the Sea of Souls. I can show you a map.”

“Thank you, milord, but that won't be necessary.”
Jessica spread her wings and leaped into the air.
Beneath her she heard the squirrel shout
something, but the words were lost as she
ascended up through the trees. She winged to the
northwest, heart pounding with every flap, her
focus sure. How she wished she'd asked the Glenners to wake her earlier.

----------

The left fork ascended in a series of switchbacks
up along the mountainside before striking in a
wide shelf coated in fresh snow along a gentle
slope that would be covered in scrub in a few
months. They had been walking not even an hour by
the tie they took a short break to stretch their
legs after the climb. James set his pack down on
a rock and sorted through it until he had the
bell in hand. Angus stood a handful of paces
ahead of him, surveying the path and the sheer
face of rock descending down into the valley.

“I know you wanted to go with Baerle,” Angus said
quietly. “Next chance I have, I'll make sure you have some time. I promise.”

James cupped the bell in hand and turned toward
the badger, taking each step carefully. “You do? Why?”

“Both Charles and I have seen the way you look at
her,” Angus replied as he continued to note the
precipice and the path ahead. “She's had a rough
time with men in the past, so don't let her
manner fool you. If you truly like her, she'll come around.”

James licked the back of his lips and took
another step, the bell thrumming in his hands.

Tolling.

“I do like her,” James admitted. “So why do you keep pairing her with Charles?”

Angus half-turned to glance at him, then shrugged
as his eyes wandered to the clear sky. “Well, I
wanted to talk with you a bit, James. And I was
hoping Charles could talk to Baerle. I've seen
the way she looks at him, and it's not helping our friend.

“She doesn't love him,” James insisted. Only a few more paces left.

Angus scuffled the snow and grimaced. “Perhaps
not. But... there's one other thing I wanted to
let you know, James. It's been a little over a
year now since I started teaching you. And I have
never been as proud of a pupil as I am of you.
You are one of the most capable men I've ever
known, James. I mean that. In another year you'll
be leading scouting teams, and maybe more. But,”
he turned away from the precipice and grabbed his
gear, brushing it free of snow. “But for now, I
hope that you have some luck with Baerle. She's a good woman.”

James licked his lips and lifted the bell up over
his head. “I know she is. Thank you for telling
me this, Angus.” The badger started to turn when James swung down hard.

Tolling!

The bell landed solidly in Angus's forehead. The
badger flinched backward for a moment, and then
his eyes rolled up in his head and he collapsed
into the snowbank against the mountainside.

That my tone should be tuned to such solemn song.

So mournfully – so mournfully, that the dead may feel no wrong.

James stared at the unconscious badger for
several long seconds before shaking his head.
“Nay, he wanted, he wanted me to be with Baerle.
He promised me. I'll make him forget. Two accidents is too much anyway.”

Nevermore.

“Too much,” James repeated, before bending down
and scooping the snow, piling it in heaps atop
the badger's body to make sure he didn't freeze
to death. Once he'd covered all but his snout,
James hefted his pack over one shoulder and
started back down the trail. He kept the bell in
his hand, which throbbed and warmed him with
purpose. He exulted and felt so alive as he
nearly galloped down the switchbacks. At long
last, it was finally time to rescue Baerle from that rat.

----------

Once she cleared the Glen treetops, Jessica
followed the line of mountains, climbing high up
to where she could see over the nearest peaks.
The air was cold, but he feathers kept her warm.
To make things even easier, she shrank into her
pure hawk form which was well-suited to such heights.

After spending almost eight months traveling with
both Charles and James, she knew them very well
and not just their physical appearance. The way
the Curse attached itself to each of them was
also an old friend of hers. And as a Sondecki,
the rat's magical essence moved in very peculiar
ways through his body, circling an inner
inaccessible core of power like a whirlpool. Once
she was close enough it wouldn't be hard to spot either of them.

Jessica opened her vision to the streams of magic
but saw nothing unusual. Disappointed but not
surprised, she kept on flying toward the mountains and the sea beyond.

----------

Angus woke to a horrible headache and a slight
ringing in his ears. His chest seemed very heavy
and cold too. He blinked open his eyes and tried
to lift an arm to brush the snow from his face,
but his arm didn't want to move that easily.
Shaking his head back and forth, he blinked and
glanced down at the mounds of snow resting atop his entire body.

“What in all the hells?” he blurted and groaned.
It didn't take him long to dislodge the lightly
packed snow, and soon he stood and brushed
himself off, shaking his body to loose the
stubborn flakes. He put one paw to his head and
took several deep breaths. The top of his head
stung with a fresh bruise. And the ringing in his
ears, though light, did make him a little wobbly on his footpaws.

But, a warrior of as many years as he was never
disoriented for long. He scanned the snow nearby
but saw no sign of blood or even of a struggle.
The only prints marring the pristine surface were
his own and the hooves of his friend James. Only
James's tracks returned the way they'd come.

“What's going on here?” he muttered under his
breath. He grabbed his satchel, and pulled out a
pair of long swords. He strapped these to his
back and then slung the satchel over one
shoulder. After adjusting the straps to keep them
from jabbing or slipping, he started back down
the trail. He followed James's tracks, wondering
and wary. But no matter what had happened, he'd be ready for it.

----------

The first of the two talismans on the
northwestern face of the mountain was nestled
within a large fissure of basalt interwoven with
granite. The black basalt had worn away between
the shelves of granite on either side creating a
natural alcove that arched closed above them like
a pulpit. This pulpit overlooked a vast
congregation of brush and conifers in the valley
between the mountains, as well as further in the
distance highland dells that would be teeming
with mountain goats in a few weeks.

Charles could easily see the Lutins attempting to
cross those gentle slopes, but not this mountain.
A rock ledge offered them a winding path that
kept more or less flat as it meandered around the
slope. The recent storm had covered the path in a
layer of snow at least a hand deep, so they kept
their pace a slow one to be sure that they did
not slip. One fall and they would tumble down a
sheer ledge of exposed granite for a hundred or
more feet before impaling upon the tops of the trees.

Despite these obstacles, both Baerle and Charles
found it a very easy climb. He cautioned the
opossum several times not to become confidant but
to focus on stepping with care and precision. The
confidant climber was the dead climber, a fact
that she knew all too well from scaling the trees
of the Glen. But she never chided the rat for his
caution nor remind him of her expertise.

And Charles appreciated that. The comity that had
existed between them for nearly their whole
friendship had always been a source of pleasure
to him. And they had to keep it that way.

Baerle positioned herself next to the five-bladed
talisman nestled in the pulpit and turned to the
rat who stood a pace back where the granite wall
began. Wordlessly he handed her one of the
pouches with Burris's magical concoction, and
then licked the back of his teeth as he watched
her spread the paste across each blade.

“Baerle,” he said softly, eyes ever on the fresh
sheen of white snow perched over head, “there's
something I've been meaning to ask you for a while.”

She turned her muzzle to one side while smearing
the paste across the top blade. Her gray snout
brightened with the talisman's orange glow. “What is it, Charles?”

“I've wanted to ask this for a very long time,
but circumstances, and... and my own fears and
sorrows have kept it from my tongue. But here we
are, far out of reach of any in the Glen, and
there's no better time for me to ask it.”

Her face seemed to draw tight as if expecting
some vicious blow. “Charles, what is it?”

He gazed firmly at the opossum, noting the way
her ears folded back and her bright pink nose
surmounted a snout filled with sharp teeth. But
his regard settled resolutely on the one blue eye
turned toward him and with heavy heart he brought
to life the thoughts and feelings that had
battered around inside of him for over a year. “Baerle, do you love me?”

Baerle swallowed and her one hand wrapped about
the base of the talisman to hold herself up. She
trembled. Her face lowered, eye looking anywhere
but at him. Her muzzle parted to speak, then
closed, her other paw wrapping tight about the
fur lining of her jerkin. In a quiet voice she
said, “Please... don't ask me that.”

Charles kept his eyes riveted to her, a fact that
her wandering eye tried to avoid but could not.
The words were now free and could not be taken
back, and so neither would he back down. “Baerle,
I must know. I have so much more to say, but...
until you tell me, honestly, what is in your
heart, I cannot say more.” He swallowed and then
added, “If I did, you could never answer me honestly.”

She took a deep breath, her eye moistening. “I... I can't.”

Charles almost reached a paw out to her, but kept
them fixed at his side. “Baerle. I have to know. Do you love me?”

With a deep gasp, and a pained expression, Baerle
swung her snout so that both blue eyes, watering,
met him. “Aye! I do love you, Charles. I have not
stopped loving since I met you. But... I'm
trying... I'm trying so very... very hard to let
you go. For Kimberly. Because I love her more as
my sister than I love you. I know it. I can't
break that. How could you make me say that? How could you do that?”

Charles took a careful step back, putting one paw
on the cold stone wall. “Because as long as we
said nothing, there would always be that
possibility between us.” He lowered his eyes and
ground his teeth together. “There were a couple
moments in the last week when I was tempted... by
you. And many more before that.”

The anger in her face began to ebb as she
breathed slowly, her white fingers uncurling from
the talisman's base. “Then... you did love me?”

“I do love you, Baerle. But I can never love you
as you deserve.” He lifted his snout again, and
took a deep breath. “I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. You deserve to know.”

She swallowed and nodded, lifting one paw to
brush back her tears. “I... I... I don't know what to say.”

“Do we need to say anything more?”

She blinked and brushed her face with both paws
before heaving a long sigh. “I don't know. I
thought I was cursed; I spent the last year in
love with a married man, wondering and hoping if
I could accept just being his mistress. And a
part of me thought I could. But... nay.” She
looked away and pressed her face against the rock
wall and shuddered. “Why can't I love right? Why
can't I love someone who will love me back?”

Charles stepped forward and put a gentle paw on
her shoulder. “You are loved, Baerle. And I
believe that there is at least one man who loves
you and would want you as more than just a
dalliance, and even more than just a dear friend.
I believe he loves you as you should be loved; if
only he would have the courage to say it.”
Charles resisted the temptation to lift his
chewstick to his incisors and added, “And I'm
saying this partly for his sake. If he doesn't
see that you are still in love with me, maybe
he'll have the courage to admit it.”

Baerle turned slightly, blinking, bewildered. “Who?”

But he could only shake his head. “That's not for
me to say. But I believe it to be so. Baerle, you
are very dear to me an I want to see you happy. I
cannot do that. And it's time we stopped dancing
around it. You are meant for another. And I don't
want to be in his way anymore. And I don't want
to be in your way anymore either.”

She swallowed and slowly began to nod, turning to face him. “I'm sorry.”

“There's nothing to be sorry about,” Charles said
with patient gentleness. His own heart ached, but
it would heal as well. “Let us say no more now.
When we get back to the Glen, well, if ever you
need to talk, I will listen. I will just listen.”

Baerle stared at him for several seconds before
flinging her arms around his back and lifting him
off his feet, iron shoes, pack, and all. He
gasped in surprise, and then wrapped his arms
about her back, hugging warmly if not with as
much need. She put him back down a moment later,
and with her eyes still running but her snout
broken into a faint smile, she managed to say,
“Thank you, Charles. No more then. Dear friend.”

He smiled back and then gestured to the talisman.
“Well then, dear friend, shall we finish up here and move on?”

Her paws lingered at his sides a moment longer as
she took several deep breaths, her smile
steadying and touching her eyes anew with each
one. “Okay,” she said at last, her voice soft but
no longer shaky. There was a confidence in it
that knew it would feel better in time. Her smile
dimpled her snout, and then she turned back to
the talisman and picked up the pouch of the woodpekcer's strange paste.

Charles stretched and felt a vast wave of relief.
He'd finally managed to get through that and it
hadn't hurt as much as he thought. He still felt
an agony, an almost emptiness in his heart, but
it wasn't Baerle causing that. And he felt an odd
sort of throbbing in his ears and mind that
swelled into a lancing pain. He brought both paws
to the side of his head and winced wondering where that had come from.

“Charles?” Baerle asked, glancing back from the
back of the alcove in worry. “Are you okay?”

“Something...” he muttered as he looked up, a
rumbling sound joining the sonorous throb. His
eyes widened in horror. “Stay there and hold on!”
He shouted, even as he tried to focus on sinking
his body into the rock. Above them the wall of
snow had broken free and was tumbling down the mountainside toward them.

----------

Mountain climbing had never been so easy. With
the iron bell gripped tightly in his right hand,
James scaled up the side through the fresh-fallen
snow as if he were taking a stroll through the
Glen commons. He ascended with a speed and a
surety of balance that would be the envy of a
mountain goat, rising up above the path where
Charles and Baerle trod. Neither of them would
have been able to see him through the glare of
the midday sun, but he could clearly see the path
below and the paw prints they'd left behind. Very soon he would see them.

Though the clapper did not strike against the
side of the cracked bell, he could feel its
tolling reverberating up his arm, around his
heart like a hummingbird flitting from blossom to
blossom, and then to his mind where it resounded
expectantly like a hunter waiting for the game to
come. The donkey breathed with that rhythm, the
colors of the sky dimming to an iron gray as cold as the mountains.

The minutes fled from him in a torrent. The cold
air wrapped about him, permeating his fur-lined
coat, and sinking into his flesh. Beneath his
hooves the snow parted to be met by the rock
beneath. This he pursued until the path reached a
small ledge overlooking a crevice of basalt
through the mountainside. A few dozen feet below
him he could see the talisman. And standing there
just beneath him was Baerle and that rat. He had
his filthy arms around her and she him.

“Nevermore,” he muttered, lifting the bell over his head.

That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.

“Nevermore,” James said again, lips quivering with each syllable.

Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore.

“Nevermore!”

Till the dirges of his Hope that melancholy burden bore.

“Nevermore!” James swung the bell downward
striking the rock with its bore. The tone that
bellowed forth shook the mountain. His eyes flung
their rage at the cowering rat as the snow around
him thundered down the mountainside with the voice of the bell.

----------

At least three miles ahead across the mountains a
brilliant plume of light smeared with a darkness
unfathomable erupted. Jessica's chest tightened
and she beat her wings even harder as she could
see with her natural vision half the face of one
of the mountains begin sliding down.

It had begun. Whatever James was going to do, he'd already started.

She hoped she wouldn't have to kill him to stop Marzac's evil.

----------

Angus's head still hurt, but he'd been in worse
shape before. The ringing in his ears had grown
ever so slightly in its intensity as he traced
James's path back down the side of the mountain
until they came to where their paths had forked
that morning. The donkey didn't follow Charles
and Baerle along the northwestern flank of the
mountain, but struck out on a higher route that
quickly ascended across almost sheer rock. Angus
scratched his head and shifted the swords against his back.

He knew that James was a skilled climber, but
even the donkey wouldn't have been able to scale
that wall without first chiseling hand and hoof
holds. Something else was going on.

He grunted as the ringing in his ears pressed
further against the inside of his head. He
growled low in his throat, and then blinked open his eyes in horror.

Angus stared down at his paws, touched his ears,
folded them against the sides of his head, and
snarled. The ringing. Strange, even inexplicable
behavior from James. It was all connected.
Somehow, he didn't know how, James was
responsible for what happened to Berchem, and now
he was going after Charles and Baerle.

The badger straightened his gear and started
rushing down the path after the rat and opossum
when a loud rumbling began shaking the mountain
beneath him. He'd heard that sound and felt that
shaking before. His heart beat with every prayer
he could think of to every one of the Pantheon.

He didn't know anyone that had survived an avalanche. He hoped he soon would.

!DSPAM:4e9b3ff9220551804284693!