[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (6 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Sep 8 23:03:41 UTC 2011

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

March 3, 708 CR

A few trees were sporting buds that would soon become bright pink and
yellow blossoms, but most were still locked in winter slumber around
Metamor. The air was warming as Spring beckoned at the gate, but snow
lingered everywhere in defiance of the calendar. Kimberly tilted her
snout up into the air for the tenth time resisted the temptation to
draw currents of flame to bring even more warmth to her and her
children. With the roads cleared, they were no longer gliding across
the distance on sleighs but enduring the bumpy road and the long five
hours stretch from Glen Avery to Metamor. It did not take long before
the chill of the day seeped through their blankets and into her fur.

Her four children did not appear to mind. They played a game of tag
in between the dozen barrels of wild oats and roots, cloths, and
other odds and ends that the merchants of the Glen were sending to
Metamor. Goldmark was still in his six-limbed form, and all four
lower limbs were sprawled across the buckboard as he drove the team
of horses along familiar roads. The easternmost expanse of the Dragon
Mountains rose up to their right, majestic and clear. The Barrier
range hunched in the distance to their left, just visible through the
hazy midday sky. The nearer they came to Metamor Keep, the nearer
those mountain ranges grew. After two years, they were still
impressive, even if she didn't notice them as much.

"Looks like we'll be there soon," Goldmark said as he half turned
back to her. "I have to take the barrels to a few merchants around
Metamor. Where do you want me to take you?"

Kimberly looked up and smiled at the towering citadel standing proud
on the northern bluff of the rise in between the mountains. "To the
castle," she replied. "Or as near as you can come. We'll be staying
at our rooms in the Long House."

Goldmark nodded. His ears twitched as little Baerle squeaked when
little Erick accidentally stepped on her tail. A smile creased his
muzzle. "Only place safe for them?"

"It's the best place," Kimberly admitted. Her eyes strayed to the
road along the river and sighed, drawing the blanket tighter around
her chest, tail tucked closed to her legs.

Goldmark caught the glance and frowned. "I did think we'd see Charles
riding back north today. Perhaps he's been delayed? Another order
from George maybe."

"I knew this would happen when I married him," Kimberly replied with
a long sigh. "He cannot be home every night. It's just..." She didn't
even want to think of the possibility of her Charles having to leave
on another eight month long quest. The first had been so sudden and
painful, not even a chance to say goodbye; a second would devastate
her. And the children... how could they cope?

The other rat seemed to understand and after gently patting her on
the shoulder and meeting her gaze with one of sublime confidence, he
returned to tending the horses, leading them around the hill to
Euper. Kimberly turned her attention to her children and watched them
play, not a one of them worrying that they wouldn't see their father soon.

Tonight, if not tomorrow. Kimberly assured herself of this as they
continued on their way.

----------

It was another hour before they finally climbed out of the wagon.
After passing through Euper, they ascended the hill into Keeptowne
where Goldmark bypassed the merchant's district to avoid being drawn
into any length negotiations with merchants either seeking his wares
or his services. He was given permission to approach the castle, and
so only a few minutes later was able to leave Kimberly and her
children at the Ivy Causeway. They gathered their few things and
stepped through to the comparative warmth of the castle.

The air was still cool inside, but the many flambeaux helped to sooth
her flesh, fingers and toes especially. "Now stay close until we
reach Long House," she told her children who stared in wonder at the
storied halls. All four of them kept close to her, two on either
side, girls to her let and boys to her right. They gawked at several
larger Keepers as they passed, but she didn't see anyone she recognized.

It took only a few minutes of walking to reach the familiar entrance
to the Long House. A quartet of guards flanked the entrance. She knew
two of them and they were delighted to wave her and the children
through. Beyond, Long House was full of activity as always. In one
corner she saw Meredith practising his crossbow while a still-human
scout she didn't recognize challenged him with long bow. A trio of
Keepers chatted amongst themselves as they cleaned the floors and
walls with feather brooms. The only banners on display were those of
the axe and bow.

The children kept close to her as she headed toward the side passage
leading to the family quarters. Her focus was so intent she didn't
notice the fox Misha leaving his office to come greet her. But her
children did. "Misha!" "Misha!" "Misha!" "Misha!" They ran forward,
falling to all fours to scamper faster as they raced toward the fox.
Misha's eyes widened and he braced himself. They jumped onto him,
holding legs and middle as they hugged him and shouted at once. He
laughed and fell back on his tail before rolling onto his back and
trying to hug them in turn.

Kimberly, sighed and then laughed as she chased after them. When she
got within a few feet she stood with paws on hips and scowled. "Is
this how we greet your father's friends?"

The children whined a moment but eventually climbed off of Misha and,
lining up, lowered their heads respectfully. "Good afternoon, Master
Brightleaf."

Misha, still laughing, rolled back onto his paws and tousled their
headfur. "So formal! Ah, welcome to Long House again. To what do we
owe the pleasure?"

Kimberly smiled to him. "Bernadette's oldest boy Richmond is getting
married. Charles and our family were invited to come celebrate."

At the mention of her husband's name, Misha's ears lowered and his
tail wagged anxiously. "Ah, well, yes. Charles should be about
finished up with the patrol George set him to. I can have a message
sent to find him to let him know to come here."

Kimberly's smile widened, revealing more teeth than just her
incisors. "Oh thank you! I did leave instructions for him in case he
went to the Glen, but I'm sure he'll be most upset if he has to ride
up there and then all the way back here just to find us!"

"That he would!"

"Master Misha," little Bernadette cooed in a plaintive voice. "Could
you please show us the battlements again? I want to tip the cauldron
this time!"

"No fair!" Erick stammered and squeaked. "You tipped it last time!"

"No I didn't! Baerle did!"

"Did not!"

"Dit too!"

Misha waved his paws in the air. "You can all tip the cauldron! You
each get one turn!" He looked to the mother but she smiled and nodded her head.

Little Charles perked up. "Will there be boiling oil in it this time?"

The fox yipped a laugh. "We'll see about that."

Kimberly set her pack down and smiled to him. "Could you see to them
for a little while? I want to go check on Bernadette and see if she
needs any help."

"I'd be... happy to," Misha replied with a strained laugh. He glanced
over his shoulder at the big bear. "Hey, Meredith. How would you the
most dangerous assignment of all?"

The bear glanced at the fox and the four rat children who were held
back from climbing all of him only by their mother's presence. "I
already have children," Meredith shouted back with a hearty laugh.
"But I suppose I can help you manage this mischief."

The fox breathed a sigh of relief, and turned back to Kimberly.
"We'll make sure your things are in your rooms. It's good to see you
again, milady." He clapped his paws together as the bear approached.
"Now come on, children. Your uncle Meredith and I are going to show
you the battlements and the cauldron and... and some other things!"
They squeaked their delight and after one last look at their mother
to make sure everything was all right, they scampered after the two
Long scouts.

Kimberly, secure in the knowledge that all would be well, left to go
find her friend.

And, hours later, when Misha, finally managed to leave the children
in Meredith's capable paws, completely forgot to send the promised message.

----------

Macaban had servants bring the two knights and their squires steaming
cups of cider to warm them as they commenced rounds of the many
fields and farms of Lorland. Charles clutched his and let it warm his
paws and his snout first as they gazed across fields left fallow the
previous year. Already farmers were busy keeping the fields clear
from snow and checking the soil to see how well it was thawing. In
another few weeks they would begin planting crops for this year.

The farmers spoke confidently of good weather and good harvest,
hopefully of the new priest, Father Purvis, who'd just begun his
duties a few days ago and was now busy visiting all of the Follower
families in Lorland, and speculation about when the newly married
Duke would sire an heir. The last topic seemed to amuse Sir Egland
but he wouldn't quite say why that was so until they were alone again.

Sir Egland gazed at his friends and a twisted look of mirth graced
his cervine muzzle. "The Lady Alberta is a dear friend of mine, and
once a knight of Yesulam."

"And a Steppelander," Saulius reminded him with a bit of pride.

"Oh, aye, very much a Steppelander," Egland's grin lifted his ears.
"When we both first came to Metamor, Alberta, then Albert, pondered
what sort of steeds he might be able to sire with so fine a blood as
the Hassan." He waited a moment as their eyes widened. Saulius
guffawed. "Well, she's going to find out one day!"

Charles laughed and resumed blowing on his cider. But he stopped and
stared at the distant road. What looked like a long train of wagons
were passing by. He gestured with a nod of his head. "That's a rather
large caravan. It looks like at least twenty wagons. Rather colorful
too it looks like."

The others turned. Intoran frowned and shrugged his shoulders. Egland
pondered them as if he thought he should know them. Saulius gaped,
and the rat scrambled at his side for something that wasn't there.
After a moment he turned to Egland and held out one paw. "Quick! Thy
spyglass, Sir Egland!"

Intoran dug the brass spyglass out of Egland's saddlebags and passed
it to the rat. Saulius turned it back and forth in his paws for a
moment before lifting the narrow end to his right eye, and squeezing
the left one shut, tilted the larger end to bring the wagons into
view. He tightened the focus a little and then squeaked in surprise.
"Magyars! What business hath they in Metamor?"

"Magyars?" Egland bleated, sitting a little taller in his saddle.
"Alberta told me of them. Tricksters and thieves she said."

"She hath spoken rightly!" Saulius replied with bile. "But harmless
so long as thou dost keep watch o'er thy wares. And thy children!"

"Do they really kidnap children?" Intoran asked, ears quivering in
sudden anxiety.

"Not often," Saulius admitted as he lowered the spyglass. He huffed
and sagged in the saddle. "But I hath heard of it many times."

Charles narrowed his eyes and gently stroked Malicon's mane with one
paw. Under his breath he muttered, "At least they aren't likely to go
to Glen Avery."

After putting the spyglass away, Sir Egland gestured to the forest to
their north and the fading sun. "Let's finish up our rounds. We can
thank Macaban. If we're lucky, we'll reach Metamor tonight."

Saulius cast a quick glance at Charles and then nodded to the elk.
"My squire and I will spend the evening at Lake Barnhardt before
pushing on to Glen Avery tomorrow morning. Do tell the Watch to keep
a close eye on the Magyars."

The elk laughed and nodded. Charles sipped his cider before giving
Malicon a gentle nudge with his hind paws. They set off a trot across
still hard earth, the warm steam washing across their faces and
filling them with the powerful aroma of apples.

!DSPAM:4e694bd6197281412310228!