[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (10 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Sep 21 01:33:00 UTC 2011

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

Darkness fell as Charles and Saulius neared Lake Barnhardt, and with
unspoken agreement they turned to the city by the lake. Neither spoke
during the long ride, and it took all of Charles's frayed will to
keep from losing himself in the unfeeling sanctuary of stone. They
were admitted through the gates which clanged shut behind them
without fanfare, and welcomed back by a bewildered giraffe.

"I thought you were going to Metamor. Weyden saw you heading there
this morning," Larrsen said as strode beside them on their tired
ponies. Even with them mounted, the giraffe was still a few feet
taller than they.

"Then thou hast not heard the news," Saulius said grimly as he bit
the end off his chewstick with a sharp crack. "Metamor doth fly the
yellow flag. 'Tis forbidden to us all for a time."

"Yellow flag?" Larrsen asked in alarm, a shivering thrum echoing
along his xanthous spotted hide. "A sickness?"

"Plague we were told. Struck this morning ere we arrived."

Larrsen ground his teeth together and lowered his head. "We were due
to return there in a few days." Some silent pain passed through his
eyes and then he looked back to them. "How long?"

"None can say," Saulius replied with sour exhaustion. "'Tis plague.
'Twill end when it ends. Until then we can do aught but protect our lands."

Larrsen nodded, expression still shocked. "I had better tell Captain
Naomi. And Captain Dallar. I... come, let me take you to the
barracks. You both look like you've ridden those ponies and
yourselves to death."

Larrsen brought them first to the stables. Saulius bade Charles go on
ahead to the barracks. He made no objection, but allowed Larrsen to
guide him through the torchlight streets of Lake Barnhadt. The
giraffe tried asking a few more questions, but at seeing the rat's
complete and gloomy introspection, kept to silence himself.

It wasn't until they found Jessica who was busying herself over her
notes that the rat finally uttered a word. "Jessica!" He shouted, and
ran into the black hawk's surprised embrace. He held to her, tears
streaming down his cheeks as he pressed his head into her feathered
chest. Jessica could only wrap her wings about the rat.

Larrsen left them with a wordless grunt, and with a flick of her beak
Jessica shut the door. She had never seen Charles like this and her
heart ached to do something. He was bawling like a child. Perhaps if
she made him a child for a time it would be easier for him. She could
do it, but she dismissed it after only a few seconds. Charles might
not appreciate the help.

But the mind of a child would.

Jessica admitted that there was truth to that and was about to craft
the spell in her mind when the rat pushed his head back and began
wiping the tears from his eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. But it's
happened again! They've taken them away from me!"

Jessica let the spell unravel but did not take her wings off his
back. "What happened, Charles? Did something happen to Kimberly and
your children?"

He nodded. "They went to Metamor yesterday to celebrate a friend's
wedding. I received word too late. By the time we arrived at Metamor,
the whole city was under quarantine! The plague, Jessica!"

Her heart stopped for a moment as that single horrible word struck
her. "Oh no!"

"And they're trapped inside and I out! They might catch the plague
and die and there's nothing I can do! Nothing!"

"I'm sure Master Coe and Lothanasa Raven are doing all they can to
stop the spread of the plague. Akkala will help in this."

Charles's face flashed with vicious anger. "Don't say her name to me!
She wouldn't save my Ladero! She can rot in Hell for all I care!"

Jessica squawked in sudden outrage. "Don't you ever speak such
blasphemy to me again! I have never said aught about your Eli!"

Charles's eyes narrowed, the anger still there. "You don't know what
she said to Kimberly after Ladero died. She let him die, Jessica. She
could have done something but she did nothing! Nothing!"

"How did... I did not know. But do not speak evil of her again in my
presence. I will make you a child if you act so childish again!"

He blinked and pushed back through her wings. "You, what?"

Jessica shook her head to dispel the notion of her giving a childish
Charles a lashing. "I'm sorry. Just, Charles, come here. You need
someone to talk to. You need a friend. Please let me be that friend tonight."

But the rat was dubious. "What do you mean you can turn me into a child?"

"Later. I'll tell you later. Show you if you wish. Just come. Your
heart is far too heavy. Share it with me. Please, Charles. We cannot
face these things alone. That's what we learned with Lindsey and Kayla."

His whiskers twitched and ears lowered as the words finally
penetrated. A slow nod overcame his head, and he rubbed the fur on
his face for more tears one last time. "I'm sorry. I almost forgot I
wasn't alone in this."

"Never alone," she draped a wing over his shoulder, heart heavy but
lightened some by his presence. Weyden would understand when he
learned. Charles needed her right now. "Now, share with me. We have
seen too much together, Charles, for you to hold back now. Just this
one time, please."

The rat swallowed and nodded, his long tail curling around his legs
as his eye began to rove for a place to sit. "I'll try. And I'll try
not to get angry again."

"Thank you." She guided him to a place to sit and listened to her
friend and his anguish until all the candles were ready to go out.

!DSPAM:4e793ed849181804284693!