[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (15 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Sep 28 01:18:09 UTC 2011

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

Berchem had both Anson and Ralph took turns
keeping a close eye on him for the remainder of
their scouting tour through the woods south of
the Glen. James's frustration grew with each
hour, but it was tempered by the knowledge that
come tomorrow he'd be scouting with other
Glenners and could put the little misstep behind him.

And maybe he'd be able to leave the bell behind
this time. Every time he touched its smooth bore
he saw the bunny with gaping blood-smeared holes
where its ears should have been. How could that
have happened? It was just a bell.

Even as they passed from the cluttered woodlands
to the cleared fields of the Glen, his thoughts
strayed back to that moment, a moment that the
object dangling from his hip seemed to throb a
paean to each time he touched it.

But lo, a stir is in the air!

He slapped his hand down on its surface to
silence the voice that resounded within. James
had no desire to find out what was stirring in
the air. Ralph glanced back at him, the vole's
queer nose twitching as he waved a long-clawed
hand. “Is something wrong, James?”

The donkey shook his head and snorted. “Nothing. It's good to be back.”

“Let's report in,” Berchem said with a flick of
his tail. Neither James nor the others objected.
Torches were lit all around as evening closed in
on the forest glen like a fist. James glanced at
the Matthias home, but it was dark within. His
hand curled around the bell's broken lip and steadied his heavy breaths.

Lord Avery's two boys were standing guard just
inside the brewery door. Darien and Christopher
were still a head shorter than their father, and
they still had the characteristic perpetual
twitch common to squirrels, but their expressions
were very serious as they fulfilled the duty
their father bound them to. They scrutinized them
with wide, black eyes, and then motioned for them
to come inside, their tails flicking back and
forth like bees flitting from flower to flower.

Brian Avery was standing over the map as he'd
been the previous night, checking off various
places with the badger Angus. They both smiled
when they saw Berchem and the others approach.
“How did it go today?” Brian asked, his voice weary but brave.

“Nothing unusual,” Berchem replied without much
enthusiasm. “We saw no Lutins nor anyone else for that matter.”

“That's good,” Angus said with a faint smile that
revealed a few fangs along his jowls.

“However,” Berchem added as he glanced back at
the donkey, “James nearly got himself killed when
he slipped on a stone and took a tumble down a culvert.”

Both badger and squirrel turned to him. Lord
Avery frowned. “You slipped on a stone?”

“I didn't see it,” James admitted, grinding his
flat teeth together. “And I wasn't in danger. I
caught some trees on the way down and landed safely.”

His face darkened. “The mountains are very
dangerous, and there won't be trees to catch you
if you stumble.” The squirrel sighed and shook
his head. “I'm afraid I can't send you into those
mountains for now. Get some food and rest. You'll be scouting again tomorrow.”

“But,” James blurted, hands and tail quivering.

How silently serene a sea of pride!

“We'll discuss it again later,” Lord Avery cut
him off. “I cannot do it right now. I'm sorry. Go
get something to eat and some rest.”

James gripped the bell tightly with his right
hand to keep it from ringing in his mind, glared
once at Berchem, then stormed out of the brewery
and into the cold night air. He heard Angus's
brusque voice call after him, but no one followed him into the darkness.

----------

Evening settled around the Glen with a somber
stillness that made Charles anxious. The woods
and snow piles glimmered in the torchlight like a
thousand eyes watching and waiting. Into this gap
Charles and Erick rode quietly, the hooves of
their ponies disturbing the silence as if they
were wandering a graveyard and not the Glen's commons.

He'd not seen the commons so quiet since Nasoj's
attack the previous winter. How barren and
miserable it had become. Everyone hid within
their homes offering their prayers that the
plague would not reach them. Before the only
infectious thing that pervaded the Glen had been
cheer and a leisured woodland pride. If Kimberly
and his children were here, at least he could
have some cheer within his home; but even that would be denied to him now.

They rode Armivest and Malicon to the stables
that Sir Saulius had erected near the Matthias
home. There they tended their steeds and gave
them oats to sate their hunger while they removed
the tack and draped them in blankets to keep them
warm through the night. Neither spoke except to
offer commands and compliments to the ponies.

There were no lights on in his home so Baerle
must not have returned from her patrol that day.
Charles was not terribly interested in going
there either and decided that he would see if he
could find James at the Inn later so they might
share drinks together. But first he and Saulius
needed to report what they had seen and what they
had done with the soldiers from Hareford.

Lars Hasgkenn's brewery was subdued, but compared
to the commons it breathed of life. The twin
squirrel boys Christopher and Darien stood guard
at the door, their bearing serious despite the
faint twitches still visible in their tails and
whiskers. They greeted Charles and Saulius as
officially as their unbounded enthusiasm could
muster before returning to their duties. Beyond
them, both rats saw a handful of the equine
Polygamites clustered in one corner speaking
quietly, while nearby some of the scouts and
hunters for the Glen spoke of what they'd seen in
the land, and in quieter whispers what they'd
heard. Near the bar waited Lord Avery and Angus
the badger. They both half-smiled when they noticed the rats.

“Sir Saulius, Charles, it is good to see you both
safely returned,” Lord Avery said as they
approached. Angus stood for them, but the
squirrel lord gestured for them all to sit down.
“Are you famished? Jurmas has provided an
excellent oatmeal mixed with some of last year's maple syrup.”

“Aye, that wouldst be most agreeable,” Saulius
said with a twitch in his whiskers. “We didst
encounter Sir Dupré on the northern road, accompanied by soldiers of Hareford.”

“They ventured to the west?” Angus blurted in
surprise. The badger's eye ridges lifted
noticeably in emphasis. “They usually do not.”

“'Twas the ram knight's idea methinks,” Saulius
replied with a renewed twitch. “They dost not yet trust him.”

“And we should be wary of trusting him
ourselves,” Lord Avery said with a nod. “Still,
what did you find, and what did the folk of Hareford have to say?”

Saulius regaled them with as many details as
seemed prudent, but there was very little to
tell. Their journey north along the road, and
then to the Gateway had uncovered no Lutins or
bandits of any kind. The hills and forests were
quiet and peaceful as they usually were this time
of the year. Even the folk of Hareford had offered nothing new to learn.

“So, nothing new,” Angus said with a grunt.
“That's probably the best news we can expect for now.”

“Indeed,” Lord Avery agreed with a firm nod.
“Thank you both. Where do you wish to travel tomorrow?”

“South toward Lake Barnhardt,” Saulius replied
with a faint smile. “Then north again the next day.”

“Reasonable,” the squirrel agreed as he rubbed
his forehead with one paw. “Go fetch your
dinners. You've both earned them. A few more
scouts report in and I'll be able to fetch the sleep I didn't get last night!”

“Has there been any news at all?” Charles asked.

“Nothing unusual at the very least. The woods are
quiet but for the animals eager for Spring. I
fear the Vernal celebrations will be quite muted
this year.” He frowned and then added, “James
slipped on a rock today and tumbled down a cliff.”

Charles's heart tensed. “Is he well?”

“He took no injury,” Lord Avery said slowly, “but
I'm afraid I can't risk him going with you into
the mountains, not when he slips like that. We
need men of sure hoof and paw for those slopes.
Another scout will take his place with you, we just haven't decided who yet.”

The rat shook his head and ground his incisors
together. “No. It must be James.”

“He's not as sure-hoofed as you say, Charles. I'm sorry.”

“He is better than you think, and better than
anyone else here in the Glen. Even you, Angus.”
Charles squared the badger with a steely gaze.
His heart clenched and pounded in his chest, and
his flesh simmered as if soaked in scalding
water. “Not only did he survive in the Barrier
Range, but I saw him thrive there. He tumbled a
man off a cliff and took not even a scratch. If
he slipped today then it was only because he didn't have his gear.”

The squirrel shook his head. “But he did slip.”

“And he won't ever again,” Charles said through
his teeth. “Ever. I've spent most of the last
nine months of my life with him by side every
day. If I could only take one other person it
would be him and no other. And it will be him.
Milord, as the head of the Long Scouts here in
the Glen, I have it within my authority to select
whom I will. I do not wish to do that to you whom
I call friend and lord. But please trust my
judgment when it comes to James. He will not
disappoint you. He is the perfect man for this
very important task. Please, trust me, milord.”

Lord Avery glanced at Angus and sighed heavily.
The badger grimaced but said nothing. Avery
turned his gaze back to the rats and spoke softly
but firmly. “Charles, I do trust you. I... I will
place him back on this mission. But if he falls
or puts others in danger again, then he will not
go. And you may speak of the Longs but that will
not change my mind either. Misha can complain all
he likes later. This is about Metamor's safety.
It is too important to worry over bruised pride.
I hate putting it bluntly like that, Charles,
especially with you who have been so loyal and so
valiant, but responsibility for the Glen falls to me. Do you understand?”

He took a deep breath and nodded. “Thank you,
milord. I will go tell him the good news.”

“And let him know that I trust him,” Angus added
with a grunt. “He's a good man.”

Charles smiled faintly. “I will. Good evening,
Angus, milord Avery.” Saulius bowed his head to
the squirrel and the two rats left the brewery
together in search of the donkey and the promised
oatmeal at the lone Inn. The sullen, cold night
outside brooded with unwelcome murmuring.

!DSPAM:4e8275e7131081804284693!