[Mkguild] A little story

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Thu Apr 5 04:20:52 UTC 2012

OK! Did a short story today - it has no bearing on MK but I wanted to share
that with everyone.

Chris

The Lurking Fox

   The press briefing had already started by the time the last reporter
filed into the hall. The lights had been dimmed and she had to find her seat
in the half darkness. At the far end of the hall was a stage upon which was
a lectern behind which a figure stood The screen behind it had a large image
of a DNA helix and the word Regenesis.

   "I want to thank all of you for coming today," a voice over the public
address system. "In spite of the recent troubles here. My name is Dr Phyllis
Arvidsen head of project Regenesis. I would just like to reassure everyone
that things here are fully under control and you are at no risk."

    "The aim of project Regenesis was to recreate the extinct species that
have vanished from our world," the woman explained. The figure at the
lectern waved a hand at the screen behind her. The lettering there changed
and was replaced by the image of two birds. "We are all proud of our
Passenger pigeon and Dodo bird. After that we turned to more ambitious
subjects."

   There was a murmur group the audience. But a wave of the hand from the
speaker quieted things down. "I cannot go into the technical details of how
the procedure works but we were using advanced methods to alter the DNA of
subject animals to a new form."

   "You were changing something into something else," a voice called out
from the audience.

  "Yes," Dr. Arvidsen replied. "That leaves out a lot of details but it's
basically correct."

   "So what went wrong?" Another voice in the audience asked. "Why did you
wind up closing an entire 20 acre facility and declaring it a level 7
contamination hazard?"

   "Things got out of hand," she said with a touch of humor in her voice.
The figure behind the lectern stepped away from it and into the light. The
massive animal sitting there had a large powerfully built body with short,
but heavily muscled legs. A large feline muzzle had two large curved teeth
jutting downward.

   "As you can see," the sabertooth tigress said. Her voice carrying a
slight lisp due to her new, longer teeth. "Our attempt to recreate a
Smilodon fatalis succeeded. Just not as we had planned."

The end

!DSPAM:4f7d1dad277231577645215!