[Mkguild] Part 2 of Changing Fortunes

Daniel Michalek supernova619 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 14:05:44 UTC 2012

Here's the second part of my story. Again, comments appreciated.

KillerNarwhal

Cheep woke up in a small bed of furs on a pallet in a moving wagon. The
large man sitting on a bench next to him with a lantern noticed his
stirring, and said, “Ah, you’re awake. I was afraid you wouldn’t make it.
I’m sorry your friends didn’t. No, the last one didn’t survive either; he
lost too much blood. We buried them where they were while you were
unconscious. Your wagons were all burned and nothing salvageable was found
except what you were carrying; they must have set fire to your wagons at
some point during the fight. But enough bad news. You need to rest still.
We’ll reach Ellcaran by tomorrow; I don’t know where you were planning on
going, but the boss won’t feed you for free if you decide to travel with us
for a while. I’ve bandaged your wounds, so you should be fine but for a few
scars.”

Cheep sat up and winced, noticing all the strips of linen wrapped around
injuries on his arms, legs, and chest.

“Who were they?”

“You mean to tell me you came through here and didn’t know about the
Reapers? I’m surprised you were able to defend yourselves at all. Odd,
though, that they should be this far south; they usually only prowl the
Southern Midlands. They must have attacked because of your small group.
Apparently they mistook you for a merchant caravan; they wouldn’t have
gotten much even if they got away.”

Cheep got up and sat by the fire with the massive guard.

“We were used to fighting off bandits in varying numbers; they aren’t
usually well trained. Those… Reapers… someone should hunt them down and
kill every last one of them.”

“Don’t think it hasn’t been tried, kid. Anyone powerful enough to beat them
can’t find them.”

“Oh.” Cheep remained silent for a minute. “Now what?”

“We drop you off in Ellcaran and hopefully you can find your way wherever
you’re going from there.”

“But I don’t know anyone or anything in Ellcaran; I’ve never been there
before. Although I guess I don’t really have a home or any better place to
go. We were just traveling performers. They were all the family I had.”

“Well, sorry to hear that, but the only way you’re staying with us is if
the boss hires you or something. He may be kind, but he doesn’t take
hitchhikers. Can you fight? Wait, that’s a dumb question; I saw you myself,
taking on two of those Reapers at a time. I’ll put in a good word for you
if you like.”

“I… I guess I could do that. That would be very kind of you. I… I think I
need to be alone for a while. I… miss Borin…” He looked away with a pained
expression. “My best friend. He was killed first, too. Got hit with an
arrow in the throat. He didn’t even get to fight back…”

Cheep continued mumbling to himself as he slumped back down to the pallet.

“Poor kid.”

When dawn came, the man found Cheep curled up in fetal position, looking as
if he had been weeping. He shook him to wake him, and told him the caravan
would be leaving in a half-hour and he had best be ready to travel soon.

“I will be ready,” he said with a look of resolve. “Crying won’t do me any
good now. Where is my pack?”

“Right here. I kept it for you.”

“Thanks… it’s all I have left of my family… real and this one.”

“Where are you from?”

“I don’t even know. My parents died when I was only six, and all I have of
them is this little monkey. I was shipped across some sea and was forced to
live with cruel people who treated me like a slave until I escaped. Since
then I have lived with my friends and brothers, my fellow performers… but
now they’re gone too.”

“Hmm. I used to be performer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.”

“Really? What did you do?”

“I used to dance, for a local group of entertainers in my village. Then
raiders came to our village. We fought back, but the price was high. A
quarter of the village was dead. So, I did the only thing I could to
support myself after I healed: serve as a guard for a caravan. The boss
pays us well, so I have no complaints. My knee still hurts some mornings
though.”

“You? *Dance?!* … I mean, I’m sorry… I guess our stories aren’t that
different though, are they?”

“I guess not. But you still need to talk to the boss to see if you can do
the same.”

At that, Cheep decided he would go talk to the merchant. He was the only
one in command of his life now. True, there were no cruel masters anymore,
but he had no real friends and only one acquaintance here. He decided it
was probably better to move on than to brood over what he wished would have
happened, because the past was unchangeable. The future, however, was like
putty: it had only as much potential as he gave it. So he walked up to the
lavishly dressed fat man on the lead wagon and declared his intentions.

“Ho ho ho, so you think you want to help protect my merchandise? What makes
me think I can trust you? Can you even fight?”

Cheep huffed. “I thought I’d already been through this. I have nothing
left. No home, no family, no friends, and the only possession I have is a
little jade monkey statue. I know several styles of fighting and am willing
to bet I can best any of your men in single combat. This is my only hope. I
have no life.”

“Ah, don’t be so uptight, lad. I just want to know what use you would be to
me. I know very little of you at this point. Hmmm… Interesting thought
though… How’s about this: you can fight Kag and if you win, you have a job.
I pay guards one gold sun a day. Deal?”

“Kag?”

“You spent all that time with him and never even learned his name? Hrm,
well, I guess it doesn’t matter that much. Do we have a deal or not?”

“Deal.”

“Fabulous! I’ll get things ready.”

The fat man drew a big circle in the dirt with sticks and waited as the two
combatants prepared.

“So… your name is Kag?"

“Short for Kagmer. Kagmer Quarr. Nice to meet you.”

“Uhh… Chip’ang Koniko. Likewise, I guess. You want to use weapons or just
hands?”

“Either would be fine. I’m already pretty confident you’d win by
maneuverability if I used my sword, but I’ll leave it up to you.”

“You’re just trying to be nice.”

The man pulled his claymore from the gigantic sheath on his back. It was
taller than Cheep by at least a foot and wider and thicker than his open
hand, with a mirror-polished silver blade and black leather handgrips.
Cheep blinked in surprise, not having noticed something so huge before only
because it was behind an even larger man.

“Fists then?”

The man resheathed his gargantuan weapon.

“Fine.”

Cheep and Kag stood at opposite edges of the circle and faced each other
after removing all weapons and armor, each getting into his own unique
fighting stance as the other men stood around outside the circle talking
and laughing. Most of them had made bets on who would be the winner and
they were all in a good mood, both at the prospect of some entertainment
and from the libations they were pouring down their throats. The merchant
yelled cautions of not drinking in excess at them, but for the most part
they just laughed heartily and ignored him once his back was turned,
continuing to cheer for their favored contestant. The merchant gave up and
stood at the edge of the circle and acted as judge, declaring that the
first to admit defeat would lose.

The two challengers shifted to the left and right, trying to determine what
the other was capable of and what they would do. Kag was simply a wall of
muscle and bone, towering over most other men, especially Cheep, and
probably outweighing him by at least double or even triple. Cheep on the
other hand was a lithe, agile fighter who bounced back and forth on the
balls of his feet to distract his opponent and mask his intentions of
motion. The cheers grew in volume and rowdiness as Kag finally made a pass
at Cheep. The younger man easily avoided it, turning a cartwheel and ending
up behind Kag for a moment before the big man turned to block the attack he
expected. An attack came, but not the way he expected: Cheep launched
himself into the air and flipped once before landing balanced on his
opponent’s head. Kag brought his arms up in surprise and tried to knock him
down, but Cheep was too fast. He once again leapt, this time from a
precarious balance atop the giant’s head, and struck him in the back with a
fist as he landed back on the ground.

Kag didn’t seem to have been fazed at all by the blow, even though it would
have easily felled a smaller man in pain, so Cheep froze in shock that
anybody could just* take* that kind of punishment. This gave Kag the
advantage, as he was just now getting the hang of Cheep’s speed and could
follow his movements. He struck out with a quick but weak punch (at least
for him), and this time Cheep was unable to recover in time to dodge it; he
flew back a couple of feet and landed on his back in the dirt. He quickly
shook his head to clear it and got back up; thankfully his opponent was not
really trying to win, or he would have taken better advantage of the
opening and pummeled him down further. Kag let him get his balance back
before closing the distance between them once again. Cheep decided it would
be wise to change his strategy at this point; there would be no quick, easy
victory against this juggernaut. Instead of going for more powerful attacks
and leaving himself open afterward, he threw many little jabs at weaker
points, trying to wear him down. Then he remembered vaguely something about
a knee injury and decided to save time and energy by attacking his leg
joints. Kag had not expected to fight this wiry young man and soon realized
his mistake in mentioning his knee when he noticed that Cheep ceased all
other attacks and concentrated on hitting his legs to try to drop him. He
tried to swing in wide arcs to make him back off, but it was no use. The
lithe fighter simply dodged around the massive arms being swung at him and
struck again. And again. Finally, he dodged one last time around another of
increasingly desperate and ineffective swings and delivered a roundhouse
kick to the back of Kag’s knee.

Kag grunted in pain as his leg buckled and he toppled to the ground. He was
barely able to break his fall before Cheep’s hand came down in a swift chop
and tapped his throat just hard enough to make him cough hard and show that
the blow could easily have crushed his windpipe if Cheep had had that
intention.

Kag smiled even while rubbing his throat as he sat up and said, “Not bad,
kid. Not bad at all. I submit.” The men cheered, and some groaned as they
fished out their wallets to pay their comrades and scowled at their bad
luck. The remaining wine quickly disappeared as the men reluctantly
returned to their duties now that the entertainment was over. The smiling
trader made his way over to Cheep, who stood awkwardly, unsure of what to
do next.

“It looks like you now have a job, young man,” the rotund retailer said,
extending his hand.

“Thank you, sir. Are you sure you’re alright, Kag?” Cheep said as he shook
the man’s hand.

“Fine, fine. Just need to get my bearings back.” Kag massaged his bum knee
as he slowly got to his feet. “You sure know how to pack a wallop. Just how
do you do that, anyway?"

“It’s all in your head. You just sort of imagine that the obstacle is just
thick mush, and you need to continue driving through it… and stuff…
Actually it’s more complicated than that, but I can’t explain it very well.
Sorry.”

The heavy man interrupted. “Well, that’s all fine and good, but you two
need to get cleaned up and back to the wagons. You both have duties to
attend to now, so I expect your full efforts at everything I tell you to
do. Kag, would you find – what was your name, lad? Cheep? – find Cheep some
armor and a sword and show him the business? Good to have you, lad. We’ll
be leaving for Ellcaran bright and early tomorrow morning, and after that
we will head toward Metamor.”

“Metamor? Where’s that?”

“Oh, dear me. This far north and you haven’t heard of *Metamor*? How did
you get here without somebody mentioning it? Anyway, Metamor… I should give
you a proper warning before we get there, as you may be a bit, well… *
unsettled* at the sight of the Metamorians, or Keepers, as they call
themselves. They have… well, some unusual characteristics, shall we say.”

“How do you mean?”

“Well, how can I put this?... I guess I could just tell the whole story. A
few years back, there was this wizard-“

“A wizard? Like those guys who do weird things with magic?”

“Don’t interrupt, lad. Yes, a wizard, named Nasoj. This particular one was,
and still is, quite evil. He tried to take the castle at Metamor by
storming it with an army of Lutins and other monsters, like trolls and
ogres and-“

“You-”

“Don’t interrupt! -and even some evil human mages. He cast three curses on
the three gates of the Keep in the hopes of getting rid of all the human
defenders by turning them into bimbos, babies, or animals. And it worked
too, but only for a short time. You see, Metamor had wizards of its own,
who were frantically trying to undo the curses as their soldiers dropped to
the ground in piles of clothing and armor, to all fours or paws or just on
the ground in a very inappropriate manner indeed. They only half-succeeded,
meaning the cursed humans were either very young, or switched genders, or
became part-human part-animal things – many of whom found themselves with
new built-in weapons like sharp teeth and claws. Nasoj’s forces were
beaten, driven back into the Giantdowns by a lot of odd-looking soldiers in
ill-fitting clothes, and Metamor won the battle! Ha ha. But at a high
price: many had died, and those that survived had new bodies they needed to
get used to, as well as many dead to bury and many homes to rebuild. Also,
it seems that the Curses stuck to the land; now, anyone that stays in the
valley too long is struck by the Curse, which will turn them into one of
the three forms. They are still human on the inside if not the outside, but
most people outside the valley think they are demons or something. They
can’t seem to accept the idea of a fox-man, or a beauty who used to be
male, or a child who will never grow up. So I will warn you, try not to be
too freaked out when you see them. They are just normal people that have
had something very unusual happen to them. They do not appreciate being
treated as freaks.”

“Umm… wow. You know, if I hadn’t been attacked and nearly killed in the
last couple days, I’d probably think you were pulling my leg. But I can see
you’re completely serious… Just… wow… Now I can’t wait to see them.”

“I think you’ll still gape and gawk and look quite funny when you see them.
But now, on to Ellcaran!”

The venture into the large city was relatively uneventful, but the merchant
had apparently made a good deal of money, as he paid the guards a bonus and
let them go off for the night in shifts. They were quite pleased with this
arrangement, but Cheep didn’t understand how his employer could keep his
hired men in line enough for them to be any use. When he asked the chubby
man about it, he chuckled and replied, “Well you see, it’s like this: I’ve
been doing this for years. I have had dozens of different men in my employ,
and if I’ve learned anything about people this whole time, it’s that men
tend to be more loyal to an employer who will treat them well. Let me ask
you this: would you be more likely to want to defend a *friend*, who is
your beneficiary, or some stingy old miser who only gives you your
insufficient wages unwillingly because he needs you badly?”

“I think I understand. I have never really had wages before; I always sort
of lived meal to meal, letting others deal with money. It’s kind of
troublesome. I assume you mean that one gold a day is more than what most
people I could work for would give me?”

“I try not to make assumptions about people I know nothing about; it’s bad
for business. But I think you are right. Anyway, I really am glad to have
you.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“No need for the sir. You can call me Vardemertigantrufalmorandaman. That’s
short for-” He glanced at the confused look of incredulity on Cheep’s face
and then burst out laughing. “Ha ha ha ha! Ho ho! Hee hee hee. I got you
there! The look on your face- Aha ha ha!”

Cheep just stared at him until he regained his composure. Still wiping
tears of mirth from his eyes, the pudgy purveyor of goods looked back at
him and giggled, “You don’t seem to think that was all that funny. My name
is really Mortimer Stumpleton. You can call me Morty. Or Volde Mort, if for
some reason that strikes your fancy. My father’s name was Vold.”

“Huh?”

“Never mind. It’s another joke. Just call me Morty.”

“Okay then, Morty. Thank you for the generosity.”

“You’re quite welcome. Let’s be off then.”

They left Ellcaran after restocking supplies and set out on what ended up
being a terribly boring trip. Absolutely nothing happened except travel and
the standard eating, drinking, guarding, sleeping, and walking. Cheep had
not known it was possible to be so bored, but Kag just took it in stride
like he did everything. The others responded to the boredom in a variety of
ways ranging from moping to filing the time with coarse jesting and singing
rude songs. Morty occupied himself the whole time by taking inventory on
his goods, counting his gold, and making plans for trading at Metamor and
beyond. Days and weeks passed in the same fashion, and Cheep reasoned that
Kag had been right about the size thing: The Reapers must not have attacked
because they had such a large group of obviously armed men. After the
two-month long extremely boring trip, they finally passed a sign warning
them that the land they were entering was cursed, which had a depiction of
a fox, a human infant, and a woman of generous proportions. Soon their
caravan was stopped by a small group of soldiers who looked to be scouts;
the most noticeable thing about them was that they were all amazon-like
women, the most beautiful Cheep had ever seen. Kag noticed his expression
and told him, “They used to be men, you know.” Cheep’s cheeks flushed a
bright red as he stopped staring at the female warriors and looked around
awkwardly. The amazons asked the men at the head of the caravan where they
were headed, and they replied they were going to Metamor to trade. The
women tried to convince them that they didn’t want to continue down this
road, until Morty spoke up.

“Good afternoon, ladies. I appreciate your efforts, but I already know what
to expect at Metamor. I know you are trying to dissuade us from being
surprised at the animal people and spreading rumors of demons, and that you
used to be men. Now, will you permit us to continue on to Metamor? I would
like to spend as little time traveling and as much time trading as possible
while in range of the curse.”

The amazons looked surprised for a second, and then relaxed. “You know you
can only stay for a week before risking the curse, right?”

“Yes, we know, actually it’s closer to two, but we plan to leave the area
as soon as we need to. Being changed isn’t so much of a curse in my opinion
as it is interesting, but most folks further south would disagree, and that
makes business very difficult.”

“All right then, you may go. Lorland is a few miles up the road, and the
Keep is a few beyond that.”

“Thank you.”

The convoy started moving again, Cheep’s interest growing as they drew
closer to the cities he was told were filled with animal people. He looked
about eagerly, and almost as soon as they finally came in sight of a few
towers well behind the high walls, his eyes were not disappointed. He saw
an ox man pushing a wheelbarrow full of firewood back from the nearby
woods, who was greeted as he passed by an eagle woman who was tending a
small garden.  As he looked out across the wide fields, Cheep saw many
figures in the distance, working their livelihood from the ground. They
passed Lorland and continued on to Euper, which they reached in a little
more than an hour. As they approached the gates he noticed the smell. He
sneezed at the sheer *power* of it: a strong mixture of various animal
musks and excrement. They passed into Euper and he noticed that many of the
sidestreets were made of dirt- or worse. A window opened on the second
floor of a shop and a llama woman called out “Ware below!” and dumped a
bucket of foul-looking and -smelling liquid onto the roadway. Thankfully,
his caravan was travelling in the middle of the street and they were not in
danger of being splashed by the vile liquid. They moved through Euper,
stopping at a couple of shops to supply the shops with raw materials Morty
had been contracted to bring them. They eventually left the city, noting
that the high stone walls looked much older around Metamor than Euper.
Cheep cleared his nose of all the unsavory odors left as they breathed
cleaner air. He wondered aloud at the sudden drop in unpleasant odors, and
Kag explained that Metamor had an extensive sewer system while Euper had
only minimal plumbing. As they moved through the new set of high walls to
the old ones, the Keep came into view, and Cheep and a few of the other men
gasped in awe at the beauty and magnificence of it. The sun was just
beginning to set as they rolled through to the gates, creating a long
shadow that stretched miles from the Keep to the east. The guards let them
pass after they explained their intentions and showed their goods, and they
rolled into Keeptowne just as the marketplace was starting to close up for
the day.

They arrived at a sturdy-looking inn and made arrangements for spending the
next few days there. The weary travelers, both the men and the horses, were
eager to rest. The men all sat at tables in and ordered their favorite
meals as Morty saw that the horses were stabled and fed behind the inn.
Cheep asked the waitress, a girl who looked about ten years old, what was
on the menu. She replied, well, we’ve got stew that everyone seems to like,
and you can get it with or without meat. My daughter is turning out to be
quite the cook.”

Cheep looked confused. “Your daughter? How-”

The girl laughed. “You’re new here, aren’t you? I may not look it, but I’m
old enough to be your grandma. The whole ‘age-regressed’ thing isn’t so
bad, even when you have to get used to people mistaking you for a real
child all the time. Yes, I am the owner here, and I have a daughter who
does the cooking. She used to be my son.”

Cheep just sat dumbstruck for a while, and then looked up when she cleared
her throat and said “Oh yeah, I was ordering stew, right? With meat,
please.”

“Got it. It will be right out.”

Cheep, Kag, and the other hired men enjoyed the hot, savory stew as they
talked and laughed, and some quaffed steins of ale.

One of the guards was telling a joke.

“And then he said, ‘That was my sister!’”

Cheep’s eyes widened and he blushed amid the raucous laughter emanating
from the other guards at the bawdy joke. Kag looked at him sympathetically
and said, “Yeah, sorry about them. You get used to it after a while.” Cheep
nodded and still looked embarrassed. He had never spent much time with
anyone inclined to that sort of behavior before, and still couldn’t help
but be shocked at it. Most of the guards were getting sleepy and a few were
slightly inebriated by then, so they started heading off to their assigned
quarters to sleep for the night.

While inside the city, Morty didn’t need the full complement of guards to
watch the wagons the whole time, so he let them go off and enjoy
themselves, spending their wages as they saw fit, though occasionally they
took a shift or two to help Morty with his goods. Cheep followed Kag
around, and as the larger man had been to Metamor once before, he knew his
way around to some degree. For the most part, Cheep studied the vast
diversity of people’s forms, especially the animal morphs. He had never
imagined anything like it, and he eventually built up the courage to ask
one giraffe man he saw what it was like.

“What’s it like? Being a giraffe, you mean? Not as different as you might
think. I mean, yes, I have to eat more vegetables than I used to, and food
takes longer to get to my stomach, and doorways are sometimes a problem,
but it’s not bad. I kind of like being able to see above the crowd all the
time.”

“What was it like to change? I mean, did it hurt or whatever?”

“No, I just woke up one morning with yellow fur and spots, and the next day
I was taller and my neck was longer, and a few days later I was as you see
me now. No pain, just, well, weirdness. That my body was changing.”

“Cool. I hope I didn’t offend you or whatever by asking.”

“No problem. I meet people new to Metamor all the time. Don’t worry about
it. Just so you know, though, I know of other Keepers whose transformations
weren’t so painless. It’s different for everyone, I guess.”

Cheep thanked him and continued on his way.

Over the next few days, Cheep saw most of the shops in Keeptowne, including
a jeweler’s run by a badger, a glassblower’s run by an elephant, a bakery
run by a capybara (that had bread that smelled more delicious than any food
he could remember; he enjoyed it so much that he wound up spending large
part of his wages there), and many others that sold everything imaginable.
He was enjoying himself immensely, and a grin of delight crossed his face
as he saw a group of people dressed in bright multicolored clothing (that
seemed to be made of nothing but patches, but whose faces looked cheerful
nonetheless) who were entertaining the crowd by juggling small wooden balls
and doing all sorts of tricks. Some were flipping and tumbling, some were
twisting their bodies into positions he had not previously thought
possible, and one was dancing in a way that made him blush when he saw her.
A strange but happy melody floated across the entire square from a group of
the performers who played flutes and drums and other musical instruments.
Kag noticed his interest and offered, “Those are the Magyars. I don’t know
if they’ve ever come to Metamor before, but they are a sort of nomadic
people who live in wagons and perform for people in the villages they visit
to earn their living. Come to think of it, they live quite a bit like you
did before signing on with Morty. Only they have the reputation of stealing
what they feel they deserve from the towns that don’t give them enough.
Some say they steal children too, but I think they leave home like you did.”

Cheep looked on with interest, and wandered closer. At one point, a ball
thrown erratically by mistake flew straight for his head, but he managed to
catch it before it gave him a black eye. He was suddenly very glad of his
training with the acrobats. The Magyar who had thrown it apologized for the
accident and complimented him on his reflexes as Cheep tossed the ball back
to him. Cheep’s eyes started to tear up at the thought of his old friends
who he would never see again. He shook his head and tried to think of
something else. Now the Magyars’ juggling became more intense, balls flying
from one juggler to another and another and then back. The balls flew high
into the air at times, almost lost to sight against the blindingly bright
background of the spring sky, only to be caught by a skillful hand and sent
elsewhere at dizzying speed. The crowd oohed and ahhed at the spectacle,
which gradually grew more and more impressive until at some unknown signal,
all the jugglers caught all the balls at once, some with two or three balls
in one hand, the music drew to the end, and the performance was over.

Cheers rose from the crowd as they applauded, and all the Magyars bowed.
Cheep and Kag tossed a few coins at the tip cloth on the ground in the
middle of the entertainers and made their way back to peruse a few more
shops before returning to the inn they were staying at. When they arrived
just before dusk, the merchant met them outside and told them that they
should be ready to leave before the end of the next day.

“Before we go, you really should see the Keep proper. It is not something
that should be missed.”

“That sounds great. It looks magnificent even from a distance. I can’t wait
to see it up close.”

“That’s not even the most interesting part. I would tell you, but it’s
easier to show than explain and I want it to be a surprise anyway.”

“What is?”

“It’s a surprise. If I told you, it wouldn’t be. Now go to sleep. You’ll
see it soon enough and we have a long trip ahead of us.”

!DSPAM:4f96b34564145126175762!