[Mkguild] Heading to All Tomorrows (6/6)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Jul 14 20:55:43 UTC 2012

And here's the last part!  Confused yet?

---------

Metamor Keep:  Heading to All Tomorrows
by Charles Matthias

As if waking from a daze, Andares realized that
he was walking through a very familiar forest.
Towering trees surrounded him on every side,
while an almost imperceptible track guided him
through the lush underbrush. And though it was
familiar to him, and he knew he should have been
able to do more than to discern the trees and the
track, he could not identify any details on his
passage. He took a step and seemed to take
thirty. He took a breath and another fifty would
seem to pass. He noted a single tree and a hundred more like it slipped past.

Dreams had meanings did they not? So what did
this passage through his homeland mean?

Andares could not answer that question as his
pace kept him moving deeper and deeper into the
woods until finally the opened out to reveal a
broad array of ivory towers blended with the
trees. Brilliant sunlight streamed through the
boughs to bask them in a warm radiance that
scintillated from each gossamer thread decorating
and supporting those towers. A river wound
through the crevice, and across this delicate bridges stooped.

Surrounding him on all sides at the proper
distance and with the fixed decorum, were his
fellow Åelf. Faces he recognized blended with
more faces he recognized as they welcomed him
back to Ava-shåvais. He felt the singing of songs
echo through the air, while the branches thrummed
with the ancient hymnody. Some spoke to him. He
spoke back. The words made sense at the moment
they were said, but he could not recall them a
moment later. All that brought him to this point
seemed to be swallowed in a fog, as if his very
past were being devoured by some eldritch beast following him through time.

He dimly noted that he was conducted with great
reverence and care to the central tower in which
Qan-af-årael had once gazed at the stars and
there he was divested of his garments and bathed
with oils and fragrances. These scoured all scent
of the road from him, leaving him as delicate to
the nose as a fawn. When they finished he was
attired, almost draped, in fresh robes of vibrant
hues that shimmered in the light. The sword
Anna-ithil-årda was placed back into his hands.
Invocations were made and incense burned. The
light shining through the trees tilted and swung
through the sky as if a great deal of time had passed.

And then he was escorted by those same Åelf whom
he knew but could not name into the tower and
guided up its many long steps. Through the
windows he caught flickers of the spider-silk
thin weave of ivory that clung to the branches of
the tree about which the tower had been built. He
could almost feel it warm with vivacity as he continued upward.

The steps at times seemed to move slowly, and
others they sped past as if time were tumbling
down a hill while branches and brambles caught
its cloak now and again halting its passage. But
all things that fall had to reach bottom, and so
all things that climbed steps must reach the top.
Andares found himself in the top most tower room,
a room decorated on every side by intricate
drawings, each of them some hint to a past event
that had once spoken of the future, a great story
that his mentor had watched and observed and
subtly guided. Beyond a small balcony had a clear
view of the sky. The sky was bright and clear.
There was nothing else to see nor anywhere else to go.

“Your new prison,” a voice seemed to echo in his mind.

Andares gazed into the sky, but saw only a broad swath of blue.

----------

April 29, 708 CR

Not only did Duke Otakar of Salinon not place
Andares and Anefistar in a different prison, but
they were provided no more bedding than had been
made available to Jaime. The small circular room
had enough floor space that both of the travelers
could find a place to sleep, but the meager
blankets that Jaime offered them from the bed
along with their own traveling blankets did
nothing to hide the hard stone beneath them.
Jaime repeatedly offered his bed to Andares or
Anefistar. Andares assured the human princeling
that he could manage the stones better than any
man, while Anefistar resolutely refused to sleep
in any better accommodations than his Yára Cáno.

To make matters worse, according to Jaime, except
for those times when the Duke wished to parade
his prisoner before some distinguished guest in
order to humiliate him, the food that they were
provided amounted to no more than Jaime had been
receiving when he'd had the donjon all to
himself. They split the food amongst them with
each insisting that the others take the larger
share. Anefistar would not under any
circumstances touch his food until his Yára Cáno
had eaten his portion, professing himself no more
than a servant and stubbornly refusing to let Andares behave otherwise.

As if the lack of food and the uncomfortable
stones on which they slept were not enough to
break their spirits, the Duke had the shutters
for the windows removed so that they could do
nothing to stop the constant cold wind that swept
above the castle. Occasionally a warm gust of air
would dispel the ever present Spring chill, but
this was quickly swallowed by another frigid
squall. The blankets they had and the traveling
cloaks they wore protected them some, but only
from the wind; the pervading chill sank into
their bones and made their flesh numb.

One thing that confused Andares was that they
were left their belongings without so much as an
inspection by the guards (all of whom professed
their indignation and sorrow at having to keep
their Yára Cáno locked up as well). Nor was this
because of any traitorous behavior toward the
Duke; Otakar genuinely desired they keep their
things which Jaime explained as the Duke's way of
saying that he didn't believe there was anything
they could do to escape his power.

And in his grasp Anna-ithil-årda glimmered and
throbbed with a deep power that could not abide
being trapped within that cold, lifeless, tower
meant for another. It ached for Andares to carry
it back to the Elderwood that it might aid in slaying those foul beasts.

“You cannot let this continue,” Jaime said softly
as he stared at the same letter he'd been
pondering all week. He never spoke about its
contents or for whom it was from or meant. But it
was always there, and nearly always in the
princeling's hands capturing his attention like a
beloved dream. “I do not know what evil is coming
from Elderwood, but I do know that a good man
does not sit idly by while evil devours the
innocent. If it were within my power, I would
quit this place immediately to come to their aid.”

“They are not your people,” Andares pointed out
as he stretched his sore limbs. He'd only had a
few hours of sleep last night, the most he'd had
all week, and that more from exhaustion than anything else.

“They are not,” Jaime agreed, even as his eyes
cast to the shivering form of the scholar.
Anefistar lay huddled beneath a bundle of
blankets with his beard wrapped around his neck
to protect it. For a pillow he used his traveling
pack, while he kept his back pressed against
Jaime's lumpy mattress. Andares's traveling
companion had his eyes closed but there was no
question by the way he fidgeted that he was awake
and listening. “But they were my wife's people
and that is enough for me. I suppose that does
not make me better than most men; I should care
for them regardless of whose people they are.”

Andares finished stretching his muscles and
settled into a cross-legged position, hands
resting upon his knees, the ivory-handled blade
singing soft, angular words in his lap. “I am a
prisoner here as you are. The Duke has promised
his support in exchange for helping him slaughter
and conquer the rest of the Midlands. Do you wish
me to do that? The rest of your family would fall
beneath the Duke's armies if I were to agree to his terms.”

Jaime tensed and dropped the letter back on the
desk and shook his head. “No, I do not wish that.
But...” his lips continued to move for a moment
but his tongue could find no more words to form.
At last he shook his head, tousled his red hair
with one hand, and then leaned back over the desk
and grunted angrily. “Fine then. Do nothing.
You'll outlive us all anyway. Are we nothing but ants to you?”

“Never,” Andares retorted with indignation. His
nerves were suffering from a strain beyond which
he had even felt in the jungles of Marzac. He
took a deep breath, even as an unpleasant breeze
drifted through the donjon and further numbed his
cheeks. “I have spent nearly the last year in the
company of your kind and have deep fondness for
your people. I would offer my life for my friends
who traveled with me if they were in danger.”

“So why,” Anefistar asked in a voice filled with
a forlorn pain, though he did not open his eyes
nor turn his head in their direction, “do you not help us now?”

His tones grew hard and he felt a curl infect his
lips. “My blade will not taste human blood; not
even from a man as deserving as the Duke.”

Jaime shook his head and sighed, muttering
imprecations to himself under his breath.
Anefistar took a long breath and remained huddled
beneath his blankets, his once ruddy face pale
and pinched. Andares lowered his gaze to the
sword in his lap and ran one hand across the
length of the finely wrought blade, tracing his
fingers down the intricate scroll-work and
characters of his people. The bearer of such a
blade had a responsibility to serve the Lord of
Colours. Qan-af-årael had a deep love for all the
people's of the world, even those who had struck
at the Åelf and drove them from their many homes
across the world. How best was he to serve his
former master? How was he to use this blade?

He pondered those questions for some time as the
morning wore on with only the bleak gray sky
outside which did not even churn or promise an
invigorating rain to mirror their thoughts. A few
birds alighted upon the windows, dancing between
the bars as they chirped and quested after bread
crumbs; but they had nothing left and so after a
few minutes of begging they flew away and left
then in a suffocating silence. Even the sounds of
Salinon that climbed the walls felt as if they
approached from a vast distance that no man could
traverse even if they devoted their entire lifetime.

Noon came and passed with only a slight variation
in their routine. Jaime stretched and did some
exercises to keep his muscles limber; he even
jogged in place for a good thirty minutes, and
then hung by his hands from one of the support
beams overhead, pulling himself up and down to
strengthen his upper arms. He'd performed this
routine every day that he wasn't being treated
like a trained beast on a collar by the Duke, and
just like each previous day, when he finished he
returned to his desk and began reviewing the letter.

The scholar also finally emerged from his blanket
cocoon to do his own stretches before he settled
in a corner as far from the windows as he could
with his traveling cloak draped over his
shoulders and legs, and his pack before him.
Anefistar had taken one of his journals and was
reviewing notes he had scribed years past on the
flora of Dûn Fennas for the sake of keeping his
mind active. However, when he came to a section
describing some of the beautiful wild flowers
that bloomed along the road from Nenuin to Dûr
Cirith, he broke down into tears and wailed as
all of those blossoms in profusions of white,
yellow, pink, blue, violet, orange, and a
thousand other shades gentle and bold were now
laid to waste by the evil of Elderwood stretching out its shadowy hands.

Andares glanced at his own pack and pondered
digging through it to see what mysteries it held
for him that might distract his mind for a time
from his impossible predicament when they all
heard the sound of booted feet climbing the tower
stairs. Anefistar dried his tears and closed his
journal, hastily shoving it back in his pack lest
the soldiers claim it for their own. Jaime folded
his letter and set his prayer book atop it to
hide it. Andares let his fingers wrap about the
ivory handle of Anna-ithil-årda for a moment
before he remembered his vehemence against its
use and deliberately returned it to his hip as he
stood to welcome whoever had come to torment them.

To their surprise, the black-caped soldier who
opened the door was none other than the very man
who'd led them to Duke Otakar's presence a week
ago. His expression was anxious and his brow,
despite the Spring chill, was mopped with sweat.
Behind him they could see several other soldiers under his command.

“Captain Raff,” Andares greeted him as cordially
as his strained nerves would allow. “Whom have you come to collect?”

Raff filed into the donjon chamber, followed by a
full dozen soldiers. He struck his fist to his
chest, and then lowered himself to one knee
before Andares; his soldiers did the same. “Yára
Cáno, we have come to bring all of you before
Duke Otakar. His plans for you are a betrayal to
the Fennasi people and the debt we owe to the
Elves of Quenardya and to the Åelf of
Ava-shåvais. We have come to pledge our loyalty
to you, Yára Cáno, and we swear to you our very lives.”

“To the Yára Cáno!” his men echoed with eager and solemn unity.

“No,” Andares shook his head. “You have a sovereign.”

“He has betrayed our people and yours,” Raff said
with a fierce anger in his words. “He is no
longer our sovereign. We plead you to be the one
to lead us and guide our people.”

Anefistar rose from his contemplation and then
knelt alongside the other soldiers. His weathered
face gazed up at the Åelf whereas the soldiers
all kept their eyes upon the floor. “The Fennasi
have always been better when guided by your
people. We have fallen so far... so far. Lead us
again, we beg you, Yára Cáno. Please! Help us!”

“I will not draw human blood with Anna-ithil-årda.”

“You will not have to,” Raff counseled with a
firm, sweet voice. “Merely assert your right as
an Åelf to the throne of Salinon. It was given by
your people to the Otakar family as a surety. You
can take it back without ever drawing your holy
blade. We are not alone in wishing for your
return. Another two hundred wait in the castle to
be at our side when we bring you to the Duke. His
youngest sons can be trained in your ways and his
eldest can learn meekness in time. Even his grace
may learn it after staring out the windows of
this tower he dared trap you within. And then,
together, we can go to Nenuin and defeat the
monsters coming from the Elderwood once and for all.”

Raff's glance turned to Jaime who alone of all
the humans remained standing. “We can free you as
well, your grace, if you will forgive us for what the Duke has done.”

“I cannot speak for my father,” Jaime said after
a moment's reflection, his eyes casting from
Andares to the captain and his men, “but I will
forgive the Fennasi for my imprisonment if I am
set free.” He turned to the Åelf and added, “I
will pledge my loyalty to you as well,
Andares-es-sebashou, if you will free us from
this tower. If you and your people are as wise as
my wife told me, then...” He took a deep breath
and lowered his gaze, the red hair falling across
his eyes but not hiding the tears. “If they are
so wise as she said, then when I ascend the
throne of Kelewair, I will invite your people to
come and help my land as well. We have suffered war too long.”

“I am not meant for this,” Andares insisted,
though his heart wavered at seeing the faces of
devotion and need all on bent knee before him. He
yearned to help them. Would it be such a terrible
thing? He could travel their roads, rebuild their
cities, and even see his friends again whenever
he wished. What good would hiding in this or any
other tower do him, his people, or theirs?

“You are meant to help others,” Anefistar said
with a gentle confidence. “You cannot do so in this tower.”

“Not in this tower,” Raff agreed.

“You can help no one in this tower,” Jaime added
in that same confident, reassuring voice.

“Break free from the tower,” one of the soldiers
added. “Break free, Yára Cáno.”

“Break free, Yára Cáno.”

“Break free from the tower.”

“Help us.”

“Leave the tower.”

“Bear your sword for man.”

“Yára Cáno.”

Andares closed his eyes, no longer able to
determine who it was who said anything at all.
Those words pounded him, relentless, but also
inviting and full of a dream-like verve. But if
this were a dream, then how could he possibly wake from it?

There was no doubt in his mind that he had to
make a decision now. The time had come to choose
between his imprisonment or deposing the Duke and
taking control of Dûn Fennas for the sake of its
people. He knew that he could do much good for
them and that Otakar was not worthy to be their
sovereign. But was it his place to make that
decision? What of his own people; what would they do in his absence?

It may not help, but there was one thing he could
consult before he making his decision. There was
one scrap that might shed some light on his
predicament, something that he had not thought on
in many weeks as there had seemed no need. Before
his path was straight, but now it seemed to turn
in a new direction and while his heart yearned to
follow that new path because of the many things
he knew he would delight in, it also feared that
path for what it might force him to do.

Bending down, he opened his traveling pack and
began to rifle through the contents, carefully
sorting through his extra clothes until he found
his own small journal that he had faithfully used
to preserve the knowledge that he'd learned on their journey.

“What are you doing?” Anefistar asked.

“We dare not delay,” Raff urged anxiously.
“Otakar is expecting us to bring you to him! If
we are late, he will send more soldiers, and I do
not know if they will be amongst those who follow you.”

“I must read an old letter I was given,” Andares
replied. “It will guide me on the right path.”
And yet, as he flipped through the pages of the
journal, no fire-burned letter fell into his
waiting hands. The letter written by the
Felikaush was missing. He set his journal aside,
and then took each item out of his pack one by
one and made sure that it hadn't become tangled with anything else. No letter.

“How strange,” Andares murmured to himself, even
as the soldiers began to fidget on their knees.
He flipped open the journal again until he found
his entries from the beginning of the year. He'd
copied down what words he could read from
Habakkuk's letter after they'd rescued Lindsey
from the last gasps of Marzac's evil. But to his
great shock, the page on which he'd written those words was also missing.

“This is not right.”

“You have to come with us now,” Raff insisted.
“Yára Cáno, please! We must leave this tower!”

Andares stood back up and then crossed over to
the window, gesturing at the sky whose gray
seemed not so much the presence of clouds as an
oversight on the part of the gods that morning
who had merely forgotten to paint the sky its
proper colors. And then, with the chorus of
voices begging him to come with them blending
into a strange mass of sound and need, that gray
sky began to break apart, a dark midnight
revealed behind with the twinkling of stars
slowly emerging overhead. How long had it been since he'd seen the night?

The Åelf turned around and saw that the donjon
walls appeared to be coated with a variety of
ornate pictures, script, and figures all jumbled
together like a tale unfolding. He could smell
the fragrance of the great forest drifting on
warm currents through the windows, as well as a
melodious and melancholy chant in voices as gentle as glass.

“Where am I really?” Andares asked, even as the
twisting of the donjon seemed to stretch the very
bodies of the soldiers. Where there had once been
twelve soldiers kneeling behind Raff, now there
seemed to be only six, and then only three. And
then as the stone floor seemed to shimmer into
the white ivory he knew was to be found in the
Tower of Colour, the rest of the soldiers blended
into the figure of Raff whose eyes lifted with an almost freakish fear.

“You have to flee the tower if you are to help
any of us!” Raff cried. Anefistar echoed him, as
did Jaime, even as they seemed to come closer and closer together.

Andares took a deep breath and gripped the hilt
of his blade tightly. “Flee which tower? The
Donjon of Salinon, or the Tower of Colour in Ava-shåvais?”

“Does it matter?” Anefistar said as his hands
gripped his beard and pulled taut. “They are both prisons for you, Yára Cáno!”

“One is a prison,” Andares retorted, his tongue
as sharp as the blade. “Only one is a prison! Who are you? Show yourself?”

“I am Anefistar, Yára Cáno!”

“I am Jaime Verdane!”

Andares shook his head, and turned back to the
sky, which seemed to bleed gray into the black of
the night sky, and then break apart again into
the starry void. “Nae! It cannot be both night and day at the same time.”

“You are where you choose to be, Yára Cáno,”
Anefistar replied at last. “Choose to help us,
please! Without you... we are lost!”

“Lost!” Raff echoed with the timbre of a dozen different voices.

With slow deliberation, Andares drew
Anna-ithil-årda and held the blade before him,
the light glinting off the its silvery tang. On
the left side of the blade he could see the
donjon with its cold, gray stone walls, lonely
bed, and barren floor. But on the right he saw
the familiar sanctum sanctorum in which his
master Qan-af-årael had spent his many long years in contemplation.

Whatever was before him wasn't asking him to flee
the donjon in Salinon. They wanted him to flee
the place that his master had prepared for him.

Andares slashed his sword to the left, and that
world, that fantasy in which he had been
swallowed, vanished like a book slamming shut.
The figures of Raff and Jaime withered and were
drawn into the figure of Anefistar who remained
on his knees a moment longer. His body seemed to
draw down the darkness of the skies as if he
feasted upon it. The face twisted oddly and in a
way that Andares recognized though he had only seen it once before.

“You... you are Anef the First. Were you not
freed from Marzac?” He turned the tip of his
sword on the figure who rose slowly, iron white
beard turning a smoldered black as if singed by fire.

“Marzac still holds me. It holds all of us. We
must flee our prisons; you must flee the prison
prepared for you. Go back to Salinon and leave
this prison behind! Go back, Andares-es-sebashou,
or you will be the prisoner of your people for
all time. You will never see anything else again if you do not.”

Andares gazed at the figure of Anef who he'd once
thought his traveling companion and until a
moment ago had been declaring his loyalty to the
Åelf. Now this Anef offered him everything he'd
ever wanted; and all of it meant staying in the
human world. He felt his hand lowering the sword,
one foot lifting to step closer to the shadowed
figure that didn't quite seem able to exist in the Åelf tower.

And then his foot nudged the traveling pack still
at his feet and the journal he'd left lying
there. He glanced down, blinked at it, and the
words that leaped from the page, words he'd
written after a harrowing day when they had come
face to face with an evil they had thought defeated, blistered in his mind.

“Your sword has been of inestimable use in our
journeys, and will strike down an evil that seeks
to destroy she whom I love. But it is also
something that must be passed on to another. You will instead take up...”

Andares put his foot back down, glanced one time
more at Anef who's eyes had also noted the
journal, flaring with an incomprehensible hatred,
before returning to the Åelf with an anguished
plea. “You will only be free,” Andares said as he
angled the blade from his chest, “when Marzac is
gone forever.” He turned toward the balcony, even
while Anef screamed after him. But Andares
ignored the words, knowing now what he had to do.
He stepped onto the balcony, lifted up the sword
toward the heavens bright and filled with the
warmth of the stars, and then began to sing a
song that he knew more by instinct than by
training. Anef's horrible screeching and
protestations battered and tried to distract him
from each cadence, but still Andares pursued his
melody, his lungs squelching every last drop of
air for each note, before filling again for the next.

 From below him him, he could hear a thousand
voices joining in the song. The answering chorus
climbed the tower walls, filling his heart with a
sense of peace that he could not recall ever
having before. For a single moment, he felt as if
Qan-af-årael were there at his side singing along
with him. The rage of Anef, the Marzac beast that
he truly was, dwindled into pitiful bawling and febrile mewling.

And then his song was done. Those thousand voices
continued below him, though with each new moment
they came closer and closer. He knew what it
meant, even if in his lifetime he had never seen
it happen. All of the Åelf were climbing the
tower steps. He turned to face the top of the
stairs, holding out the blade, laying it flat in
both hands. Anef got back onto his knees and
clutched at the hem of his robe, wailing and shaking his head.

“Don't give it up! You need it to free us!”

“It is no longer mine. Another shall wield it.”

“We need you! We need you!”

But he listened no more, and said no more to that
shadow that tugged lower and lower on the hem of
his robe until the hands seemed so small and weak
he could barely feel them anymore. The song of
his people rose up to meet him and he bathed in
the sonorous harmonies as if they were a warm
afternoon rain. By the time he recognized
Tilyå-nou at the head of the procession, Anef was
only a little thing no taller than a rat, now all
black and vicious; yet still its voice penetrated and called to his heart.

Andares held out the sword, even as Tilyå-nou,
one of the most ancient of their race, held out a
long cloak fashioned from weaves of thread in
every color conceivable. The blend was of rainbow
upon rainbow like ripples in a pond bouncing
across each other. Andares lowered his head, and
the elder Åelf draped the cloak over his neck and
shoulders, its heavy embrace billowing around his
sides and ankles, burying the shadow beneath its hem.

And then, Tilyå-nou took Anna-ithil-årda from his
hands and he felt a sudden warmth fill him. The
room filled with light, the shadows banished as
if they had never been, and the voice of Anef as
well as his very presence was silenced as if it had never been.

“Welcome home, Lord of Colours,” Tilyå-nou
intoned in unison with the remaining Åelf who
stretched down the many tower steps.

“And here I shall stay, for all the tomorrows
that will come, until the stars lead me to the heavens.”

“Have they chosen the new bearer of He That Brings Moon to Earth?”

Andares cast his gaze back toward the stars. His
master had spent his evenings studying the stars
and listening to their story. Now it was his turn
to continue that work. And whomever they chose
would be his hand that reached out into the world
beyond the forest. He sighed with a faint sense
of loss, but one that in time would be the balm
that would heal all his wounds.

“Not yet. But they will.” He pulled the colorful
cloak closer and cast one last glance at the
blade now in Tilyå-nou's possession. He wondered
how much of the dreams Anef had shown him were
real and how much illusion to tempt him. “For
there is much that I will need of his bearer.
Care for it well until the stars have spoken their story.”

Tilyå-nou inclined his head in a gesture of
agreement, and then his voice intoned a delicate
chant as he began to back down the steps, each of
the other Åelf also backing down, their feet
moving in unison with one another. Andares sung
the reply that had once come from the lips of
Qan-af-årael before any other Åelf currently
living had even been born. When they were out of
sight, Andares returned to the balcony, the cloak
of many colors spreading around him as he moved
gliding with sublime grace through that ancient
tower. He tilted back his head and gazed upward
at the stars, silver eyes filling with their pristine light.

And there he remained standing as he listened through the night to their story.

----------

END of HEADING TO ALL TOMORROWS

Thank you all for reading this tale.  As a final
note, the Fennasi/Quenardya words I took from an
English/Elvish translator (which is currently
down unfortunately).  The words I used are as follows:

Velelya – Distinguished (Great) Traveler
Heru – Master
Nessë – Youth (young man)
Minassë – City with a citadel and central watch-tower.
Nildo – Literally male friend.
Lindalnér – Minstrel
Yára – Ancient
Apsa – Cooked food
Ishtyar – Scholar
Maethor – Warrior
Nan Tavas – Woodland (used for forest near
Nenuin, the trading hamlet at the fork)
Cáno - Ruler

I hope you have all enjoyed the story!  Please
let me know what you think and whether or not you enjoyed it!