[Mkguild] Visiting Ancil part 1

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Sun Jun 3 18:17:02 UTC 2012

Here is part one of a story set in Metamor Keep. the archive is here
http://metamorkeep.com/. Feel free to stop by and visit.

Chris
The Lurking Fox

Visiting Ancil
by Christian O'Kane

   It was a small and unusual group that made its way cautiously down the
trail. In the lead was a woman barely five feet tall, thin and looking to be
no more the fourteen or fifteen years old. But looks are deceiving in
Metamor valley. This young girl was actually thirsty two years old and
married with two children. What was not a deception was her missing right
hand, bitten off by a werewolf over a year before. Lisa Ringe had spent many
months recuperating and adjusting to having only 1 hand. After that she
found herself doing less dangerous tasks like commanding the array of
soldiers and servants that guarded and made Long House work. She understood
that her days of going on dangerous patrols were over. Part of her was sad
at that. Lisa missed the excitement but she did not miss the pain, the
numbing cold and the long days away from her family. Now the woman saw her
husband and kids every day. When it rained Lisa could go inside rather than
having to hunker down and just take it. And the best part was each evening
she could share a warm bed with her husband Alec. Lisa turned and looked at
the three people following her.

   Trailing at the rear of the group was a tall, muscular woman. Her brown
hair was cut short and her  body had the trim fitness of a person used to
working outdoors a lot. The woman was carrying a spear that was as long as
she was tall. Lisa caught Georgette's eye and nodded her head. The woman
nodded  in reply. Long years of working together had made their actions
almost instinctive. Lisa had asked Georgette if everything was all right and
the woman had responded that it was. If there was something wrong the spear
carrying scout would have responded with hand signals.

   Walking right behind Lisa was a figure that was unusual even by the
standards of Metamor Keep. He had a humanoid body that was short but well
built. What was truly odd was that he walked on four legs like a centaur and
he had a human like torso but this Keeper also had four arms to match the 4
legs, And where on a centaur there would be a tail there is a huge abdomen
covered with specially made leather armor. His whole forehead is covered
with eyes that look like domes or goggles and that was above a flat face
with two large fangs protruding from it. His whole body was covered with a
bristly brownish-tan fur. Nelis had been given the animal portion of the
curse but one rarely seen - he had changed into a jumping spider. Insect and
spider morphs were rare among Keepers and Lisa knew of only one other
spider. Still as odd as he looked Nelis was an excellent scout and the curse
had actually given an extra set of arms. Also the odd arrangement of his
eyes meant that he could literally look in all directions at the same time.
A very useful thing for a scout.

   Walking a short distance behind the arachnid was a more normal looking
person. A woman of average height and with a slim build. Her sandy blonde
hair hung loose but was cut short enough to keep from interfering with her
sight and hearing. The leather armor the woman was wearing did little to
hide the muscles that showed under her skin whenever she moved. Those spoke
of long years spent exercising. Her tanned and weathered skin told of many
days spent in the wilderness. A fact confirmed by the ease and smoothness of
her movements. This forest was no new, strange environment but an old
friend. One known from long years of close contact. Dangling from her belt
was a short sword in a leather scabbard. On her back was a quiver with a
score of javelins in it. Lisa knew Kelyn and had recommended to Misha that
the woman become a Long Scout. She was delighted to see that Misha had
picked her to try for the Long scouts. But in spite of their friendship Lisa
would not go easy on her friend. The woman had to prove she had what was
needed to be a Long scout. Which was why Lisa and Georgette were out here in
the woods, testing the two new recruits.

   Suddenly Lisa heard a soft chime. It was a clear and crisp sound that
echoed in her ears but did not echo in the woods around them. She turned to
see all of three of her companions standing stark still. She could not guess
what Nelis was thinking as his spider face displayed no emotions but there
was a look of surprise on Kelyn's face.

   "Did I hear a bell in my head?" The woman said slowly.

   "We all did," Georgette responded.

   "It was a sending spell Misha uses occasionally," Lisa added. "To get our
attention."

   "What does that mean?" Kelyn asked.

   "It's a sit and stay order," Lisa explained. "That means we go to the
closest safe hole and stay there till told otherwise."

   Nelis cocked his unusual head to one side. "What's a safe hole?" He asked
as his many eyes glittered at the woman.

   "When the Longs first started we weren't sure that the Keep could survive
another attack by Nasoj," Georgette explained. "So we created a score of
safe hideouts where we could go if the Keep itself was overrun."

   "They're scattered all over the valley and we even have a few in the
Giantdowns," Lisa commented. "But the only ones who know exactly how many
and where they are is Misha and George."

   "So where do we go?" Georgette asked. "What's closest?"

   Lisa pondered for a moment before answering. "Ancil. We can go visit
Ancil."

   Georgette nodded. "Sounds good. It's nice and isolated."

   "Where are we going?" Kelyn asked with a look of curiosity on her face.
"And who is Ancil?"

   The woman smiled. "We're going to visit an old friend." She turned and
started walking up the trail.

   "A real old friend," Georgette responded enigmatically and then she
followed after Lisa.

   "Why are we going there?" The spider asked as he scuttled along.

   "We've been ordered there by Misha," Lisa explained without looking back.
"He didn't give any reason."

   "It could be a test or a real emergency," Georgette added and shrugged.
"We can't be sure but I think it's just a test of some sort."

   "Doesn't it bother you not knowing?" The woman asked.

   "Yes," Lisa answered honestly. "But I know and trust Misha. He has a good
reason to order it. We'll find out soon enough."

   Twenty minutes of climbing up the hill brought them to a pile of boulders
tucked in among a large grove of trees.  Lisa walked up to the boulders and
started to try and move one of the smaller rocks with her one hand.  The
others joined in and soon a small gap appeared between two of the largest
boulders.

   "So," Nelis said slowly as he stared at the dark opening. "This Ancil is
in there?"

   "Yes he's there," Lisa replied. "He likes the peace and quiet. Now wait
here till I check to see if things are clear." The woman got onto her hand
and knees and crawled into the dark opening.

   There was a long moment of silence before she reappeared. "All clear!"
Then she vanished back into the darkness.

   The inside of the cave was dry and warm after the rain outside. The walls
were of rough stone and the floor was as well. Nelis settled down into a dry
spot and looked around. The cave was long and narrow - just wide enough for
everyone to sit side by side with some space between them. The spider morph
noted that it led deeper into the hillside. He also noted no sign of anyone
but themselves.

   "So where is this old friend Ancil?" Nelis asked a little nervously.

   Lisa pointed deeper into the cave. "That way. Go say hello but touch
nothing."

  What little light there was in the cave did not penetrate this far back
and the only light came from the small light stone in his hand. Its thin
light cast shadows that danced around the walls, ceiling and floor. The
light illuminated a figure that rested on a small shelf in front of them.
The figure was curled up and had skin that was browned and shriveled like
ancient parchment. Its hair thin and stringy like the fringe of a rug that
had lain unremembered in some dark corner for far too long. Over it all was
a thick layer of dust that told of centuries of undisturbed rest. He noted a
few clay and wood bowls filled with brown and black lumps and dirt that
might once have been food. Laid out next to him was a long piece of wood,
darkened with great age. Nelis didn't know who this person had been in life
but he had been dead for a very long time. "This is Ancil?"

   "That's what we call him because he reminds me of my Great uncle Ancil,"
Lisa explained. "But he looks better then my great uncle."

    "What's he doing here?" Kelyn asked. The woman was crowded close behind
the spider and was peering over his shoulders. "It looks like he's laid out
for a funeral."

   "It's a burial. We found him three years ago, when we were setting up
caches all over the valley," the woman explained. "Misha says he's been here
at least eight thousand years. Under no circumstances are we to touch him or
even think of touching him."

   "Is he undead? Booby trapped?"

   "No but Misha did put a few spells on to protect it," the Long Scout
replied. "And we have no right to disturb him."

   He examined the ancient body more closely. "It almost looks like he's
asleep. Any idea of who he is?"

   "It does," Lisa commented. "But as to who he is we've no idea. They
didn't leave any name or anything to identify him. What we do know is that
he was an archer."

   Nelis pointed to the piece of wood laying next to the body. "That's a
pretty good composite bow."

   Kelyn smiled and nodded. "It is a good bow but where are his arrows?"

   Lisa shrugged. "They didn't last as well as the bow did."

   The spider morph was silent for a moment as he examined the figure with
the calm look on it's face. "Can he really have been laying here all this
time?" The male scout asked.

   "No telling but he certainly looks old enough," Lisa answered. She hadn't
gotten too close to the body and was standing near the entrance.

   The spider waved a free hand at the body. "How is it he hasn't decayed? A
body shouldn't last like this for very long."

   "They must have prepared the body somehow," Kelyn answered. "I've heard
that in ancient Kkhart they used to mummify bodies and they've lasted for
thousands of years."

   "I wonder what the valley was like back then," he asked. "I wonder what
the Keep looked like."

   "Now that is a good question," Lisa added. "Too bad we can't ask him."
The expression on her face changed to a serious cast. She reached into a
coat pocket and produced a small rectangle of bronze. He noticed that the
piece of metal was vibrating visibly. "Excuse me but that's Misha calling."

*********

   Lisa settled down into a corner of the cave with her back to the wall. In
her hands was the odd piece of bronze. She covered the metal with her hand
and closed her eyes. Soon the sounds of the cave faded to a soft whisper.

   "This is Lisa," The woman said. Using this spell always worried her. She
was always nervous about someone else somehow listening in.

   "Lisa!" Came the excited voice of Misha. The fox who was in command of
the Long scouts sounded more excited than usual. "How are your people
doing?" He asked bluntly.

   "Fine," she responded. "The trainees are coming along nicely so far."

   "Are all of you healthy?" He questioned. "Anyone showing the slightest
sign of sickness?"

   "We're all fine here," she answered slowly, unnerved by her leaders
questions. "What's wrong?"

   There was a moment of silence. "There's no easy way to put this," came
Misha's voice in a calm tone. "It's plague. Many people have gotten sick and
six have died."

   "PLAGUE!" Lisa said, shocked. She leaned back against the wall as a
thousand thoughts and feelings raced through her mind. All she could think
of was her family, Alec, Eric and Lucy.

   "Don't worry Lisa we're taking good care of your family," Misha said
reassuringly. "We have all the families in Long House and all are healthy."

  Lisa tried to relax a little but she couldn't help but think of her
family. "What happened?"

   "We don't know all the details yet," Misha answered. "But I'm not taking
any chances. "You and your team are to stay there and keep clear of the
Keep. At least for the time being."

   The woman nodded her head slowly. "All right."

   "I know this is a lot to accept in one piece," Misha said slowly. "But
we're doing everything we can to help. I'll contact you when I have more
information and new orders. I have a lot more people to talk to so this is
good bye at least for the moment."

****************

   Long House. It was a place that many people talked about but few actually
visited. Until the Yule attack had made it famous only a small handful had
known it even existed. Long house was not an actual house. It wasn't even a
separate building. In reality it was a series of rooms, halls and corridors
in Metamor Keep. But it might as well have been a separate structure. Unlike
the rest of the magic keep where the walls shifted and moved these remained
together. There was only one entrance and it was heavily guarded. Once that
entrance was shut Long House was closed and the entire complex was cut off
from the rest of the Keep.

   Long Hall was crowded. Every adult in Long House was there standing
patiently to find out what was happening. The group was abuzz with rumors
about what was happening outside. In the center of the massive hall a large
brown bear morph stepped up onto a small platform. The ursine was wearing
tunic and pants both of a dark blue color. His shoulder patches had an axe
and bow crossed in white on a background of dark green. On each cuff was a
gold paw print with claws. It marked Meredith Bartelli as an noncommissioned
officer in the Long Scouts. He raised one of his massive paws and the crowd
hushed.

   "As you have probably heard there is talk of plague," Meredith said in a
voice loud enough to be heard by everyone. "Well. It's true. I've talked
with Misha and Duke Thomas and it has been confirmed. At least a hundred
people in Euper have fallen ill and at least five have died."

   The room erupted in a loud buzz of voices. People talking to each other
and shouting questions to Meredith. "PLEASE! Calm down!" He shouted but it
was several minutes before he could quiet the group down and continue
speaking.

   "I do not have any more information but when I do I will pass it along,"
the bear said trying to act more calm and brave then he actually felt. "What
I do have are clear orders from Misha and the Duke. We are to close and bar
the door and go to full lockdown. What that means is from this moment on no
one can enter Long House."

   "This order extends to everyone. No one gets into Long House. Not even
the Longs who are already outside."

   "Even Misha?" Someone asked nervously.

   "Even him. That was confirmed by Misha himself," Meredith responded and
gave a small laugh. "That order includes the Duke as well. Not even Duke
Thomas can come in. This is NOT a decision taken lightly," the bear snarled.
"I don't like hiding from any enemy even something as deadly as a disease.
But we have all taken an oath to protect and defend Metamor and her people.
This plague is just as deadly a threat as any Lutin attack. We are again
playing the final stronghold. Just like during the Yule attack. And just
like in the Yule attack we must bar our door and hold off any attack."

   There was a lot of murmuring in the crowd for a moment. "How long will
this last?"

   "Till it ends," the bear responded simply. He pointed to the one door
that lead out of Long Hall. "Until then that door remains closed."

   The door slammed shut with a resounding boom that seemed to echo all
through Long House.

*******************

   "Plague!" Kelyn exclaimed. "Her voice sounding loud in the tight confines
of the cave.

   "WHAT?" Nelis shouted. "How many people have died? Who died?"

   "Misha said six were dead but didn't give any more details," Lisa
responded calmly.  "He didn't have any more information."

   "How is my family?" Kelyn asked and leaned closer. A look of fear in her
eyes.

   "Your family is fine," the one handed scout replied. "All of our families
are safe in Long House and in good health."

   The whole group relaxed at those words. "The Longs always take care of
their own," Lisa commented. "Even you raw recruits."

   That small joke earned a faint smile from Kelyn. She and Nelis were
veteran scouts with years of experience. So they were far from raw recruits.

   "Any idea how this plague started?" Nelis asked nervously. "Everyone was
healthy when we left."

   Lisa shook her head. "Misha didn't have any details but I'm sure he'll
pass along whatever he does find out in due time."

   "I want to talk to my wife and kids," the spider morph announced in a
firm tone that left little room for debate.

   "So would I," Georgette added.

   "I'll tell Misha the next time he contacts me," Lisa responded.  "That we
all want to speak with our families. Until then we wait."

   "And worry," Georgette added.

*******************

   "I have new orders for you," Misha said in a tone that was far colder and
formal than Lisa had heard before. "The plague is getting worse and the Duke
has ordered a complete quarantine. No one is allowed out of the Keep or
Euper. You are ordered to stop anyone from entering or leaving. You're to
use any means necessary."

   The woman stiffened. "You mean if someone tries to leave we kill them."

   "No," Misha answered quickly then there was a moment of silence. "Well.
Warn them off first. If that doesn't work force them, Only as a last resort
do you attack. But we cannot let this plague spread beyond the valley. If it
does it could spread throughout the entire Midlands and thousands could
die."

   "I understand," Lisa responded with anger in her tone. "But I don't like
it."

   "No one likes this," Misha countered. "But it has to be done. I'll
contact you when I have more information. If you don't hear from me in a
week, consider me dead and Finbar in command."

   Lisa stiffened at those words as it drove home how serious things really
were. "I understand sir."

   "Don't be so glum," Misha said trying to sound calm and confident. "We
have things under control here. Take some time to discuss this with your
people. I'll contact you shortly with more details and orders. Till then sit
tight."

   "Take care of my family!" Lisa said softly. "And give them all my love."

   "I will," Misha responded. And with these words Misha was gone, leaving a
troubled woman pondering his words.

*********

   "They cannot expect us to kill fellow Keepers?" Kelyn snarled and shook
her head.

   "They're friends and family," the arachnid added.

   "Do you want to see the plague spread to the rest of the valley?" Lisa
responded calmly.

   "No," the woman answered slowly. "Of course not but killing Keepers is
wrong."

   "Of course it's wrong but we don't really have a choice," Lisa countered.

  "Everything about this is wrong," Georgette commented. "I want to be home
with my family but I know I'm needed more here. And I know Misha will take
care of my family. He'll take care of all of our families."

End part 1