[Mkguild] Tales Of The Transblade Part 1 - Where Life Begins Anew

kyle.vernon at gmail.com kyle.vernon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 10:58:18 UTC 2012

Needs some editing... but.... it's finally done.

Metamor Keep:Tales Of The Transblade by Hawl Tygarus Enroygall aka
Seranima Iris Nichols-Vernon

Tales Of The Transblade - Chapter 1:Where Life Begins Anew

Our tale begins in an old and simple village, back in the days of
yonder, March 13th 708 Christos’ Reckoning to be precise. when the
people were ruled together by Lords and Ladies and lived in harmony
with spirits and magical creatures, but also in fear of dark demons
and blasphemers against the gods. A time of unity with nature and a
time where men were men, women were women, children prepared to take
their roles in society, and animals were animals, of course in one
such kingdom there was considerable levy on that, but we’ll get to it.
As that is not where our story begins!

For far outside the well known kingdom of Metamor Keep, there was a
simple old village of a much lesser destiny known as Cornflower
Village, on a warm spring day, and therein lived a variety of common
folk ruled under a wise old Lord, Lord Frelick Aerolon, a soldier
turned Holy Man turned lord through a bizarre twist of events that he
did not fully understand, but ultimately he didn’t question it, for
the will of the Gods was simply not his domain for Inquisition. Lord
Aerolon was a kind old soul, although getting on in years, a widower,
and with no offspring to look after his town when he was gone, which
could sadly be any day now. Though Aerolon was fair and well-liked by
all his subjects, his town’s Treasury was never exactly anything to
brag about, and with far more powerful members of nobility having a
sizable interest in the village and the fertile cornfields for which
the town gets its name. Currently he was tending to his pet seagull,
and waiting for his Captain Of The Guard to show himself.

“You’re looking well today Locket.” he said, smiling as he scratched
under the bird’s beak, who flapped his wings in agreement. “I’ll let
you out for your daily flight after our meeting with the guard.” Lord
Aerolon let Locket out and held out his hand, which the seagull
latched onto with his talons. The old man turned to face another
“Captain Redblood, you surprised me. Say hello Locket.”

Locket squawked in what seemed like a laugh, Aerolon had raised this
bird from an egg that he had found a year ago and had been quite happy
with the way he turned out. In many ways, Locket the seagull was very
much like a young child to Aerolon.

A tall imposing looking man saluted. “Playing with the seagull again
sir? We have dire news, you have been inquiring about why Seladon has
not left his tower in months. We’ve been able to confirm lately, that
he is no longer with us. The stench coming from his tower the
mortician believed to be from a rotted corpse, indeed is one. I’m
afraid the rumors are true.... he is... no more.”

“My good friend Seladon The Wise is dead? And you’re sure about this?”
The Lord asked, he wsa dressed in monk robes from the Order Of
Ecclesia. Although it had been a long time since his days as a holy
man he kept his robes and liked to wear them in times of deep
meditation, the church remained in his heart a special place. Fredrick
was a balding old man with the smallest amounts of gray hair on his
head, it was nothing really, not even a modest amount remained, the
top of his head was quite visible to elements and subjects alike. He
had a soft demeanor, but one could easily tell by his aura that
although his face was heavily wrinkled, every single one had a long
and rich story to tell.

“Yes my liege, and we owe Mugal to the North East a great debt.
Seladon was a wise man and a great philosopher, but he was also a very
powerful mage. As such he must have had something with which we can
barter to them. Even a trinket could be worth several stones worth of
gold if it’s enchanted properly. Even if it just turns frogs into
salamanders or flavors bread, it would be enough. As such I demand you
give us permission to raid his tower and have his possessions placed
in the treasury!” his captain of the guard said, he was a man in his
middle ages, an angry battle hardened demeanor and a wicked mustache
that said, “I’m bad news, just try it!”

The old lord seemed rather taken aback by this “I’d think you’d know
enough respect for your elders to not demand anything”

“Apologies sire, but the situation is dire, I grew up here and I fear
seeing my home taken by anyone, for any reason. I was born here, and
shed sweat, tears, and blood for this village. It is not much, but it
is all I have ever known.” The Captain Of The Guard stated, a hint of
fear was present in his voice.

Lord Aerolon laughed “Some would call that a problem, but we must
respect Seladon, especially since we don’t know what sort of arcane
alterations he made. You may see a shiny bauble in there worth the
world, but it could carry with it a 3 Day Poison. It’s both far too
dishonorable to desecrate my friend’s home and likely not worth the
risk to tamper with a wizard’s wares. There is not a single man in our
village magically inclined.”

“But what of the shapeshifter in Mugal, he could give us a proper
appraisal! His talents defy all magical knowledge! No one can change
like he can!” The Captain protested, admittedly though he was grasping
at straws, knowing that this person he was describing had a habit of
being the village idiot.

The old man shook his head “He is self-proclaimed, you forget, he is
as powerful as he is fool hardy and full of himself. He could easily
doom us all with a simple mistake, a mistake he would be very
unwilling to admit or man up to. I’m sorry, we’ll just have to find
another way.”

The captain gritted his teeth “But there is no other way, there’s
barely enough food to go around as it is.”

“Things will pan out” The old man stated as he scratched his mighty
beard. “I’m sure of it, God has a way of working things out to those
who are patient and respectful of their elders.”

The Captain gave up, he could thought to himself that maybe the Elder
Lord was getting on in years, but he would not let this old man doom
the whole town, and so he went right to work on developing a plan.
When he came up with a scheme, he smiled to himself. If the Elder Lord
had no plans to raid the tower after all. He’d have no problem doing
it without permission, he’d just have to be a little sneakier about
it. Lying through his teeth, the Captain spoke. “As you wish m’lord,
will that be all?”

“It shall, please heed my words carefully, a wizard’s belongings are
not to be trifled with. You are dismissed Captain Redblood.” The Lord
stated as he let his bird fly from his hand as he called after the
bird. “Be back in an hour Locket, you have to deliver the mail for the
day.”

The captain bowed and “Yes M’lord” and turned around he had a hot
rookie this could be pinned on, and as such he made his way to the
barracks where he encountered several muscle bound men exercising in
various ways near the entrance, they were decked out in full army
ready in case anything went down, everyone looked the same all dressed
up like that. Which was good, it created a pack mentality, the army
was one and together they would triumph over any enemy that dared
threaten the good village of Cornflower, two holding pikes near the
entrance immediately saluted. Although the barracks were small and
only contained around twenty five, almost thirty men, they were
serious about security, and twice as much so as keeping the troops in
shape.

“Jamar, Jerrod, have you seen Cedric lately? I have a top secret
mission for him and him alone, straight from Lord Aerolon!”

“The new guy? He’s not even technically a soldier, nut bar doesn’t
even wear anything past chainmail.  What is he not man enough to wear
armor? What could our lord possibly want with him?” Jamar, spoke with
a voice that was deeply inquisitive, but still quite gruff., he and
his twin brother Jerrod looked almost identical, both were very
strong, very tough, and the very picture of masculinity. The one
difference outside of personality, which were still both similar, was
that Jamar had a beard and no mustache, while Jerrod had a mustache
and no beard.

Captain Redblood shrugged, he was a very convincing liar, especially
when it came to playing dumb. “Not a bloody clue, he said it was
something important that came to him in a dream. Personally I think
it’s another wild goose chase. Our Lord sadly is getting on in years,
just the other day he told me a rumor he heard of a Follower Priest
who was no older than 10. I fear for his declining health.”

Jerrod spoke out “I think someone already told him about it, Cedric
went on patrol around a half hour ago”

Reblood groaned, he had ordered no such patrol, and obviously this
news from Lord Aerolon
was a sham, he had just made it up, but clearly he couldn’t reveal
this to his guards, for he was the captain. If he just casually
admitted that he had just told a lie it would be all over for him as
being the Captain is quite an honor and a very high position, even in
a one horse town like Cornflower, especially if it was also an
admission of placing words within their ruling lord’s mouth. Why, he
would be exiled, or worse!

The Captain nodded and played off the bad news as he decided to go
looking for Cedric. “Wonderful, I expect a full report from him upon
his return. He might just prove his worth yet.” He turned around and
left with an annoyed look and a furrow to his brow that he quickly got
out of.

Meanwhile, a somewhat aged and battle hardened looking man in chain
mail armor, wearing nothing but chain mail and brown linen pants, he
had dirty unkempt blonde hair and smelled of sweat, he brought with
him a satchel of a few supplies and had been doing nothing but
training all day, cycling through weapons trying to find one that
suited him, he was undecided on a weapon specialization, he was okay
with several, but an expert in none. Though Cedric’s persistence in
becoming a true knight was vast and devoted, he had but one problem. A
lack of a testament to his honor, a true chance to prove himself. He
had traveled from town to town, but everywhere he went he found
nothing, but peace. Peace was wonderful, but not for proving oneself a
truly heroic individual. Cedric looked around on Seladon’s lands which
were empty and barren, his lands weren’t that big merely just a few
acres on the outskirts of town, as he saw that he was truthfully and
honestly on his own, but he had to be sure and there was really only
one way to do that.

“The Royal Guard is present, everyone outside!” Cedric yelled, he
waited around for a bit and scanned the area, after seeing no one he
correctly concluded that he was all alone and then went inside. “Good,
I’m not too late.” he said to himself. When Cedric had heard that the
wizard Seladon had finally passed that the guards were planning on ram
sacking it and taking the trinkets for themselves before the Lord
Aerolon could sell Seladon’s belongings. He was no match for the guard
and the morality of selling a Wizard’s Belongings, even if the village
was having financial troubles. They are Seladon’s belongings after
all, and being a wizard surely he had a will. However if they were to
be looted and sold off, there was no reason why Cedric couldn’t get
first dibs. With much caution Cedric looked closely at the door knob,
checking for runes. The door knob was very expensive looking, even
though the tower was old and decrypted the door knob was nice, too
nice, this door knob alone could pay off the town’s debts. The door
knob had several unique looking carvings and was made of pure crystal,
Cedric put his hand almost on the doorknob when he noticed it began to
glow as his hand drew near. Cedric quickly withdrew his hand, he
wasn’t about to let some curse overtake him. Seladon was a very
powerful wizard, whatever this doorknob did to intruders was rather
nasty. Cedric looked around and saw an open window, if he was going to
live a curse free life he would take no shortcuts. The wannabe warrior
came prepared, he reached into his satchel and took out a grappling
hook, whirling it around carefully a few times before letting it go
with a mighty toss, he missed at first, but on his second try he got
it and scaled up the wall, closing his eyes and trying to focus as he
carefully worked his way up the tower. He had to focus and see if he
can feel any magic radiating from the tower. Cedric was not a mage,
but in his years as a mercenary turned guard he had learned to open
his senses and see into the ethereal world. He was by no means a seer,
but it wasn’t blind to magic entirely. He came in through the window
and saw something that caught his eye. He appeared to be in a circular
bedroom with a green sheeted bunk bed that looked like it had not been
used in days, but the bed was of no importance to him, what was of
importance was the presence of a fine sword that seemed to be made
entirely of silver and literally just bursting with magical essence,
Cedric’s eyes bloomed up and he was in awe of its sheer beauty, Cedric
was not a vain man quite the oppisite, he infrequently bathed and his
hygine was not perfect. The warrior often stank of dirt and sweat,
something he’d been meaning to work on as it made nobles unsure of
him. Though this sword was something else, it was the kind of thing
that screamed “You’re in for a great destiny”. Taking caution again,
he shifted his focus to the parchment on the desk just next to the
splendid marvel that was the cutting instrument and began to read.
Many people in Cedric’s age could not, but before becoming a guardsman
at Cornflower Village he was a traveling mercenary and that kind of
work demands literacy so he picked it up as a survival trait and began
to give it a read, the date he couldn’t make out, but everything else
was clear as day.

“Date Feburary 14th, 709 CR

Today I have truly been blessed as I have in my possession the
Transblade, there are dozens of rumors about it and all of them are
equally true as they are equally false. Which is to say there are many
exaggerations, but also several understatements as well. Many
contradicting origins, some involving the Eastern Country of Yamoto,
one involving the ghost story of Shattered Mountain, some involving an
undiscovered land in the south, and even some involving Nasoj’s
Citadel”

Nasoj, Cedric was filled with glee upon reading that word. Killing
Nasoj would be quite the feat, Cedric did not know much about him
admittedly, just that the world would be a better place if he was
dead. He did learn one new thing about seeing his name in written
print, that Nasoj is an anagram of Jason, but he didn’t see how that
helped him in anyway at this juncture at time. Cedric earnestly
continued reading.

“Which as disturbing as they may be appears to ring false as the blade
only seems more suited to helping Nasoj’s enemies as the blade will
only listen to a particular kind of person, the kind of person you
find in abundance of in the distant region known as Metamor.”

This pleased Cedric more, a weapon that could defeat Nasoj? Now that
would grant Cedric quite a chance to accomplish what he had always
dreamed of doing ever since the day he lost his sister forever, become
recognized by one of noble birth for his efforts in cleansing the land
of evil and wickedness and become an honorable knight. Knight nothing,
nay, for such a feat he might be made a Lord, a Count, an Earl, or
even a Duke. Duke Cedric, that had quite a nice ring to it. All he’d
have to do was go to this Metamor place and tell one of the people
there to get the sword to obey him. He honestly didn’t know much of
Metamor, just that the kingdom was supposedly cursed and yet at the
same time that neighboring kingdoms although loathed that place and
made it a point to never go there, or if they had to, never for more
than a week, would pay a considerable number of coin for stories
graced by the quill of their esteemed Writer’s Guild. Cedric, or Duke
Cedric The Valiant as he was humming over in his head, read onward.

“Unfortunately, I have my own curse to deal with. This affliction the
fates have struck upon me, I’ll be lucky if I don’t drop dead, so
obviously, I cannot make the trip to Metamor. A shame, I have had this
plague upon me for months and so far it is only getting worse. It
pains me to even write, I fear that without a miracle cure soon. I
will drop dead. If only I had realized the seriousness of this ailment
when I was still ready for travel. The curse of Metamor has a penchant
for healing incurable diseases, and I’d love to be restored to my
youth. Even if I was forever a child, it would be worth it to smile
and enjoy the sun again. Aerolon my friend, if this is to be the last
journal entry I ever write. I ask you to arrange for the Transblade to
be sold to Metamor Keep, and to keep all of your men from staying
there longer than three days, you may stay longer if you like, but for
God’s Sake, staying for anymore than a week is begging to be cursed.
It is not a curse to be taken likely, although I am wise and powerful
even beyond my many years. Better mages than me have tried and failed
to lift that curse. The blade is of no use to anyone but the Keepers
as they call themselves, and the gold it would bring in would be
enough to make an entire to scale replica of Cornflower with. Way more
than what is needed to pay off the town’s debts, I knew their Duke,
briefly in my younger years, before he became what he is now, he will
give you more than a fair price for anything that can free his people,
even if not from the curse, but from Nasoj. If I die before I present
this, forgive the man who stumbled in my abode if he presents you this
note. For it will be my last request that the blade be sold to
Metamor, and the profits used to save the village.

Grand Wizard Seladon, Cornflower Village”

Selling the Transblade would have him knighted by Aerolon for sure,
the town would be able to expand three times its size if the sword was
truly this valuable. Cedric had two missions to decide upon, sell the
sword and go for the sure thing, or have a Keeper force the sword to
obey him and take the head of Nasoj for his new province of Cedrale.
Cedric weighed his options, on one hand if the sword had such a power
Cedric would become like a god, but Cedric shook his head. Seladon was
dead now, and since this document was his last journal entry it could
be legally deciphered as his last will and testament. Now he could
always discard it and claim he found the sword in a mine somewhere and
none would be the wiser. Regardless of the glory and justice it would
bring to march into Nasoj’s Citadel and be crowned a Duke, Cedric
couldn’t live with himself if he did a deed as dishonorable as tossing
aside the wishes of the dead. He would present this to Aerolon himself
and undertake the mission as Cornflower’s First Ambassador to Metamor.
With a nod and a song in his heart he exited the tower with the sword
in one of the two sheaths on his back and the scroll with the journal
entry written on it, back to Castle Cornflower.

Aerolon was lost in prayer palace guard came to him. “The Rookie
Cedric wants to see you sir. Shall I tell him you’re busy?”

Aerolon opened his eyes slowly and without turning around to face him,
the lord stepped out of trance to tell him. “Send him in”, he said as
he got up onto a small staircase as Cedric came in, with an unfamiliar
sword on his back. The handle looked plain, maybe he had brought it
with him from town. Aerolon was getting old, maybe his memory was
failing him.

Cedric was rather former as he kneeled in respect. “My Lord, though I
am new I must request that I be allowed to partake a mission of
goodwill to the distant province of Metamor.”

Metamor, now there was a name Aerolon had not heard in quite some
time. “I used to live there, this was before the curse. Seladon used
to be obsessed with that place, he always wanted to visit and exchange
notes. We cannot afford transportation to send a man there nor have we
reason, with his passing we have even less reason.”

“Nay, a grand purpose and the solution to our money problems exists
within Metamor Keep, I went into Seladon’s tower and...” Lord Aerolon
shook his head, he thought he had been clear with the captain. It was
painful to do so, but with a heavy heart he beckoned to a nearby
guard.

“Arrest him! I told the Captain no one was to go in Seladon’s Tower,
I’m sorry this had to happen Cedric, the day you had arrived was one
of the happier days of these nearer the end of my life. We seldom get
visitors, especially one as hard working as you.” Aerolon stated, he
seemed legitimately upset at having given this command. Cedric looked
uncomfortable, but not too concerned as a man in more elegant armor
than the ones that the guards in the barracks were wearing held a
spear up against his throat.

“It is by Seladon’s will that I’m here!” Cedric exclaimed moving the
spear away from his throat carefully. His lack of concern was simply
in the note he had obtained at the tower as he handed the journal
entry to Aerolon whose eyes were a glow as he took it. Aerolon began
to read every single word in earnest, overly joyed to feast his eyes
on the quill markings.

“When I had heard you had died old friend I was worried that would be
the last word I’d hear out of you, even this, your last will and
testament makes me feel elated, as though you were by my side once
more. Thank You Cedric, you are pardoned as Seladon requests, but I’m
afraid our Treasury cannot even secure transportation and supplies for
a distance as long as Metamor. I’m afraid we must ignore this request”
Aerolon looked quite upset, his heart was heavy as he sat down and
began to think. “Apologies Cedric, but if only a Keeper could use it
as the letter says. This Transblade is worthless to Mugal or any of
the other towns nearby”

Captain Redblood came in suddenly. “My lord, Cedric has raided the
tower! One of my men saw him come out of the tower with a grappling
hook and some trinkets. I must return them to the tower at once!” he
burst forward and complained, Cedric went before he gave the order and
likely took everything for himself. He was going to put Cedric in jail
and relieve him of anything he took, sell it, and pocket most of the
cash. It was foolproof. Redblood dared all others to prove to him that
a fool could not do it.

“I’m aware Captain. Cedric was just pardoned by Seladon’s last will
and testament, which Cedric was so kind as to recover. Though if he
has anything on him outside of the Transblade, he should relinquish it
over to the captain now.” Aerolon looked toward Cedric “Do you have
anything else Cedric?”

“Nay sir, just the Transblade, it was the only thing I knew for sure
that Seladon wanted out of his tower. Not to mention the only thing I
was sure that wasn’t going to turn me into a newt.” Cedric half-jested

“Seladon was not even a journeyman of Transformation Magic, if that
had happened, I am most certain you would have gotten better.” Aerolon
laughed to himself, Cedric and Redblood looked at one another
wondering where the joke was.

“Sir if it is alright with you, I wish to fund the journey to Metamor
out of my own pocket for the benefit of my Lord Aerolon and the town
of Cornflower” Cedric saluted as he did so, he was not going to let
the chance for a quest worthy of a knight to slip through his fingers.
After all, not only were the prizes grand, but the danger involved was
too. That’s a long distance to travel with highwaymen and cut throats,
from here to Metamor and once he got to Metamor,  Not to mention the
curse would give him only five days, more if he was willing to push
his luck, to reach Duke Thomas, make the sale, and get out. Simple
enough, if the lutins, brutish monsters who were minions of Nasoj, did
not take his life.

“If you think you can afford it, we will make accommodations for you
should you suffer the curse. Provided it isn’t contagious. Though if
the curse should leave you unable to battle, you will be forced into
retirement, although honored for your efforts and the sacrifices
made.” Aerolon nodded. “Captain get Cedric a map and any back up
willing to go with him”

Redblood pondered this for a bit, it could save the town if he was
successful, but this curse business sounds rather nasty and he’d
rather avoid it.

“Sir what are the chances someone outside of Metamor Keep could use
it” he spoke as he grabbed the sword from Cedric’s sheath. Cedric had
a look of fear in his eyes as the Captain took the blade. Redblood
tried swinging it, but the blade lengthened and become very difficult
to keep straight as he looked like a fool trying to balance the damn
thing, the blade became wobbly as the Captain shook and walked around.
Looking like a dancing fool until the blade resumed its normal size
and shape, but this time it changed in texture. The Transblade was now
a far darker color, but more importantly wedged into the floor as
Captain Redblood tried in earnest, but ultimately succumbed to the
futility of trying to lift it. The sword became hot and orange glows
spelled out words, a taunt to the captain who tried to wield it.

“Nice Try Human” Cedric read aloud, Nice and Try red and hot on the
hilt, whilst Human was written on the blade. The sword returned to its
natural state and Cedric sheathed it. “Well I guess that answers that
sir, I shall take it to Metamor post haste!”

“Curious, Cedric are you perhaps some form of Changling? Or an
ex-woman from Metamor?” Redblood pondered, stroking his rather long
beard. He thought Cedric was pretty handsome, could this handsomeness
be from lost fertility?

“Nay Captain, I am a man as you are and it has been that way ever
since my birth. The only womanhood missing in my life is regretably my
sister, whom was captured by bandits when I was but a lad. We had no
father or mother as he went off to war and she died of a plague, with
only me to watch my sister the burden of her loss was terrible, and
that is why I am a guard today sir.” Cedric was serious, the
determination in his eyes and the clenching of his face showed only
the surface of the depths of his loss.

“So melodramatic, and so obvious a lie, the sword obeys you Cedric.
Cedrina was it?” Redblood sounded serious, he was going to find an
excuse not to send any of his men to Metamor nor have anything to do
with that cursed landscape and its equally cursed people.

“I know not what you are getting at, I was born Cedric, and Cedric I
will remain.” Cedric stated, “The sword obeys me only because I give
it no orders.” trying to maintain a heroic posture until his quest
became official, but truth be told, he was getting a little tired of
standing at attention, especially since he had been working out all
day. Though still, to look impressive for his lord he would maintain a
firm and tense posture.

“Hmph, what reason would you have to believe you can go to cursed
lands and be allowed to return just fine without its grasp?” Redblood
inquestioned

“Actually Captain, I have already told Cedric that our town would
accommodate for him should he become cursed as best we could. The
final decision rests with Cedric and Cedric alone.” Lord Aerolon
calmly answered on Cedric’s behalf.

This was true, it did just occur and all parties were present for it,
Cedric saluted. “If it is alright with my superiors, I shall be off to
Metamor to make the transaction.”

Lord Aerolon smiled and nodded, truthfully told he knew that it was
highly unlikely that Cedric would return, but if Cedric felt he needed
to prove his loyalty and Seladon felt the blade belonged to Metamor,
he wasn’t going to stop him. “Cedric, Redblood, you two are
dismissed.” he sat back down on his throne and began to recite a
prayer under his breath. “I shall pray for your success and safe
return Cedric, I wish you luck and may Eli be with you. Oh and do me
one favor Cedric. I had a son who lived in Metamor, before the curses,
he was a battle hardened knight in service to a good man named Lord
Alvarez Loriod. I left before Three Gates and he remained behind. Do
try to find out what happened to him.” Aerolon pleaded much emotion in
his voice.

Cedric saluted a second time. “Yes sir, how will I know what he looks
like, how may I find him?”

“That’s the hard part, as I said, we lived there before the curses and
I took a pilgrimage in the name of Eli before the battle in which
Nasoj put them there. He could be a child, he could any manner of
beast, a mighty dragon, a mere mouse, a cunning fox, a cold-blooded
reptile, or even my curvaceous daughter. So it is hard to say, but he
may answer to the name of Yariv Aerolon. It is a shame you might not
see him in his youth, as he could show you quite a thing or two about
combat.” Lord Aerolon said as he continued. “I have heard no word on
if he perished in the Battle Of Three Gates. I have sent a few notes
back when our town was richer, but I have heard nothing in response. I
am getting on in years. I want to know what happened to my son. I
think I am owed this answer. Seladon is dead, and in a few months I
may follow.”

Cedric nodded, he took family in a somewhat passionate mannerism
mainly because he never knew his family. But he thought that it must
be nice to have one. “As you wish My Lord.”

“Get on the road then Cedric, from here to the top of the Northlands
is quite the journey.” Aerolon said dismissing his buff youngish
warrior and re-entering a deep prayer, this time, for the soul of his
dead friend, for the success of his living friend, and that his son in
whatever life the curse and the Keep provided for him, was happy,
healthy, and alive, maybe if not too young for it, married to someone
who brought joy to his life.

Meanwhile outside of Cornflower was the town of Mugal, and it was an
average day in Mugal Tavern. It didn’t have a fancy name like
“Dragon’s Blood” or “The Ocelot’s Prowl” or anything like that. It was
just simply plain old “The Mugal Tavern” and Klaus was serving up
drinks to his patrons as usual.

A man with glasses and a shirt linen shirt sipped a tankard of Ale
whilst sharing a story he had once heard. “I’m telling you, there’s a
hedgehog that can control the lightning, looks like a Keeper he does!!
With his arms and his legs like a man’s!”

A woman was laughing at this tale dressed like a knight with a sword
on her back, her spear was resting in the corner. “I’ve been to the
Keep, as you can plainly see and there aint nothing quite like that
there Evan.” she said to him.

“I’ve never been myself Alea, Thank Eli! Those furries or whatever ya
call them creep me right the hell out!” the man apparently named Evan
said

“Hey, it’s still me Leo in behind this curvy breasted woman’s body and
don’t you forget it!” Leo commented, half joking, but half serious as
well.

Klaus, the bartender, an younger man, older looking than Evan, but
younger looking than Leo with white hair and noble’s garments sighed.
“Guys come on, this is the fourth conversation we’ve had about Metamor
in just as many days, give it a rest. This is why I don’t mind it when
Hawl gets in here sometimes, he at least changes the subject every now
and then.... Even if it is about how “great” he is.”

Evan laughed “Sorry K, but I swear I’ve seen this hedgehog and he’s
not from Metamor, said so himself, so anyway Leo is it true that the
fairer sex can sense things with Women’s Intuition?”

“No, at least not as far as I’ve noticed, of course, today’s my first
day as a complete woman. My most precious, shall we say dagger, became
lost to me just late yesterday, if you get my implication” she said,
referring to the curse of Metamor. Leo was with a group of knights in
Mugal’s special service. Mugal was a rich and industrious town
obsessed with expanding far beyond its humble beginnings. It was quite
obsessed with making deals with smaller towns to ensure that it could
grow. Mugal had a special service of knights that was sent to look
where ever there might be treasure. Leo was a sole survivor of a group
that had a run in with the lutins that prowled near Metamor. Leo or
Alea was quite lucky to only be missing her gender and even luckier
that Mugal would allow a woman to be a knight, though it was only a
special case as Leo was invaluable and dangerous with spear regardless
of his or her sex. This fact alone made it stupid to bench Leo,
especially after surviving a Lutin Encounter and making it back mostly
intact.

“Hehe, that’s outright wild!” A voice from the back sprang forth,
dorned in a blue outfit with black pants came forth a busty young
lass, a brunette with green eyes and a forked tongue. She ran her
fingers through her hair as she sat down next to Leo. “So tell me all
about this encounter, I’m sure being a woman hasn’t quenched your
appetite for other girls.” this lass put her hands on Leo’s slender
armor clad leg and had her cleavage on full display.

Leo and Evan looked at each other, and then stared at the woman with a
look of absolute annoyance. They said nothing, but the woman into Leo
was getting a little uncomfortable herself.

“What’s the matter chaps? Never seen a woman before? Leo here must
have been terrified when he grew her pair. ” she spoke, but her words
were half-hearted as she chuckled nervously. “hehe... what’s... what’s
going on?”

Klaus sighed, he was cleaning out one of the mugs. “We know it’s you
Hawl. Evan and Leo are just taken aback by today’s performance. I know
you’re not one for subtlety, but come on.”

“My name isn’t Hawl it’s.... grrr” the brunette clenched her shoulder
and quickly shrank her hair and her boobs, she became more youthful,
but far more masculine until she became not a woman, but a man, well
barely a man, he appeared to be just under eighteen. “What gave me
away this time?” Hawl sighed, his clothes were of a special material
and shrank to accommodate his new form.

Klaus sighed, surely no one could be this stupid. It should have been
obvious to anyway, even those unaware of Hawl’s powers that he was not
legitimate. “Okay where do I begin, outside of Leo when she does that
“bimbo” thing, no real woman has knockers quite that ridiculous at
least none without severe back problems. Additionally your hair and
eye color weren’t any different from your usual appearance, and
finally, the most obvious one is that you were openly discussing
lesbianism. Which is frowned upon pretty much everywhere especially
here where most of us are Followers.” No sooner than he had finished
cleaning out the mug that he began to fill it with his finest brew.
“Wow Leo, I don’t know where you’re putting it. You’d think this
little number” whirling a finger in the shape of her curves “would
have taken down your tolerance.”

Leo laughed “Oh come on, you know me better than that, this is my
third pint. I’m not even a wee bit tipsy” it had been known that Leo
as a man could drink anyone under the table, as a woman this appeared
to remain true and if it hadn’t Leo was going to work hard to make it
true, much in the way she was proceeding to tear up her liver by
chugging that pint and wiping her mouth clean, much to Evan and
Klaus’s delight. Hawl seemed unimpressed, but then by people who were
not himself he usually was.

Klaus smiled and then turned to Hawl who was holding his finger up
wanting to be served a  pint. “Get out, I’ve kicked you out at least
fifteen times in the past two months. I thought we made it clear you
weren’t welcome at the Mugal Tavern.”

Hawl laughed “You’re so funny Klaus, and why would you not want me
here to brighten up your day? One pint, I’ll re-feminize myself and
we’ll see which chick can really drink!”

Leo brought her eyes to a close and began rubbing the space between
them with a delicate hand covered by an old blood stained steel
gauntlet. “Hawl I don’t want to have a drinking contest with you. I
don’t want to swordfight you, I don’t want to play darts or pool, I
just want you to go away and never bother me, Evan, Prince Klaus, or
anyone else at this establishment, in fact.” Leo pointed her blade at
Hawl “I don’t even want to see you outside of the tavern either!”

Hawl smiled and instantly took the form of a stone version of himself,
grey and hard as a rock he pounded his fists together. “Bring it
missy!”

Klaus pointed the sword downward, being careful not to cut himself on
the blade. “Hold it you two! I’ll have no bloodshed, or whatever it is
golems bleed in my tavern. As Leo pointed out I’m the Duke’s Son and
she should keep in mind that I WILL report a murder to the
authorities, even if it is Hawl’s!”

Hawl laughed as he slammed his rock hard fists on the bar,
accidentally breaking part of it. “I’d scrub the floor with this
bitch!”

“You? Against the greatest knight Mugal has ever seen? You can be made
of pure mythril and we’d still be celebrating your funeral” Evan
seemed serious, as he was laughing so hard he almost spilled his ale.

“Careful Evan, just because I’m an aristocrat doesn’t mean I can
afford free refills.” Klaus warned before turning to Hawl. “Out, or
I’ll order Leo to place you under arrest for trespassing.”

“Well I WAS going to share with him the glorious cure to his
condition. I’m the only one qualified to lift curses of that nature
after all.” he laughed as his form slowly melted away to the woman he
came in here as, and pointed both of her index fingers at Leo. “Unless
you like menstruating of course, ahaha, I’ll see you guys and Leo
tomorrow when she no doubt begs for me.”

Leo went back to her drink as Evan and Klaus stared at her, even many
other patrons at the various tables who wisely chose to stay out of
Hawl related affairs and ignore his presence starred at Leo. She
looked up at them and just calmly said “Fill her up K.” they continued
to stare, ignoring her entirely. “What?” she asked.

Evan tugged at his shirt’s collar. “Leo, do you like being a girl?”

Leo slammed her mug down silently yet noisily demanding that refill.
“No I miss being able to drown fire ants when I come across them with
my stream of justice, I also hate having to have my armor refitted at
great expense to my own, practically begging the duke to let me stay a
Captain, and seriously. Have you ever tried aiming a bow with
these.... things” Leo motioned towards her chest, even aside of her
Fully Cursed Form she was a little on the round side. “It’s not easy.
I’d go back to being a man in a heartbeat, I miss my balls and I miss
my beard.” the captain rubbed at her chin before rolling her eyes in
annoyance. One could tell she was thinking “Damn Nasoj and his
unorthodox methods, but at least I’m alive.... That’s something to be
happy about and what I’m going to be celebrating every day.”

“Hawl’s an idiot, but the way he goes back and forth through forms
seamlessly, I think he might actually be the one who could reverse the
curse.” Klaus pointed out as he refilled Leo’s mug.

Leo scoffed “This is Hawl we’re talking about, better people than him
have tried and the closest they got was turning a bloke into a beaver
shaped kilt. Plus with the way he burns up his mana supplies, he could
likely only get me half way there before collapsing and what good does
that do anyone. At least my new bits work, something they wouldn’t if
Hawl messed with them. No better leave me this way, this body is a
woman’s body but it can get me, the real me inhabiting it, from A to
B, I can count on it for that.” as she poured yet another pint down
her mouth hole.

Klaus had an idea, but he’d have to wait till tomorrow to strike it
up. In the meantime he’d collect a King’s Ransom like he normally does
when Leo drinks. The curse took nothing from Leo outside of a sense of
pride it seems, but what would it take from Hawl?

The next day was upon Cedric who had awoken and left Cornflower just
this morning. He had stopped in Mugal for some refreshments and to see
if anyone knew just where the hell Metamor Keep was. He had a map from
Seladon’s Tower, but he was not even the slightest bit a cartographer
and thus could not make heads nor tails of it. Cedric was in the well
known Mugal Tavern where he sat down across from someone in regal
armor, Cedric did not want to stare, but there was something off about
this knight. He seemed small, devoid of anything resembling muscle,
and a little too pretty to be a knight. It then hit Cedric, he was a
woman.

“I am not familiar with Mugal’s customs, but I was unaware that any
kingdom employed female knights” Cedric pointed out, hoping to get an
explanation, the entire tavern fell silent and gave him a look as
though he had said something afoul involving the she-knight’s mother.

Cedric could see a vein in her forehead as she looked him dead in the
face “Friend, you had best be rather simple, or new in town. Because
the Duke made it pretty damn clear what happened when we went snooping
around Metamor”

Klaus seemed quite taken aback, two days ago marked the celebration of
Leo’s return, nearly the whole town was celebrating her return and
making jokes about her condition. She seemed fine then, even laughed
along with them at some of them, she said so herself. Her exact words
were “Talk all the rot you want, I’m alive, I’m still a knight, and
I’m back home in good old Mugal. Nothing else matters.” So this
reaction was unexpected.

“I meant no disrespect, My name is Cedric and I’m from Cornflower I
know nothing of this town.” Cedric calmly stated while putting his
finger up for a pint. “Though if you know of Metamor, I must ask if
you can take me there.”

Leo calmed instantly, exhaling a sigh of relief. “I’m sorry I thought
you were Hawl trying to call me out for a duel, I’ve had enough of his
nonsense lately and quite frankly I’m ready to run him through.”

“Do I look like Hawl?” Cedric pondered, upon saying the name he got
the strangest vibes from the Transblade, but could not decipher them
or explain to even himself why he felt them

Leo shook her head “No, but even Hawl doesn’t look like Hawl half the
time, he’s a master of disguise, keeps coming in here and being a
jackass, one time literally. So you want to charter an escort to
Metamor? I’m the woman for the job, but last time I went there my crew
died, their funeral services are tomorrow bright and early, I wouldn’t
miss a chance to say goodbye to them for the world. So it’ll cost you
50 crowns for a round trip.”

Cedric almost lost it himself. “Fifty Crowns? That’s half of what my
entire village owes your duke! I don’t have that much, I’ve never met
a man alive outside of Penny Pinching Miser Tyrants in the guise of
Lords and Counts who had such an amount to spare! You have got to be
kidding!”

Leo smirked, “Well my men were important to me.”

A drunk man in the crowd laughed “Yeah I bet they are!”, Leo ignored
this, she was a woman in a man’s world. They were going to make fun of
her, even if they knew her in the past as a strong man. Unless Nasoj’s
curse was lifted, this was something she was going to put up with
until the end of her days.

“Hit me Klaus” Leo called out to him.

The Bar-tending Prince sighed, Leo was a good friend of his and the
entire town owed her their lives, she deserved better than this. “It’s
on the house, old friend.” Klaus abided by Leo’s request as he yelled
out. “I’M SPEAKING TO YOU ALL AS A PRINCE! Leo’s been through enough,
her whole squadron lost at the hands of the lutins! We’ll have no more
jokes about what the curse did to her or I’m cutting you off! It was
funny when she got here, but let us leave this all behind! This is a
New House Rule! We should be mourning the loss of her men, her
comrades she fought side by side with to defend our way of living. Not
laughing at her! She’s a knight first, a gentleman second, and a woman
last!”

Cedric was touched by the respect Leo’s friend had for her, no what
Leo’s PRINCE had for her. Touched and yet enthralled, that’s the kind
of respect he longed for, the treatment from one of higher blood he so
sought. True it was a tad egotistical, but recognition from one whose
blood was blood from Eli in assurance of the right to govern men. It
must feel glorious.

Leo was tearing up, she wanted to tell herself it was the curse
talking, a misplaced bout of emotion causing her to act out of
character to how she truly is. She had to fix it, if her hormones got
the better of her it would negate everything Klaus had just said. Leo
wiped her eyes and swallowed. “Your Majesty, you did not have to do
that” she said to Klaus.

Klaus went back to washing mugs and sighed. “Yes I did Leo, you cannot
let them walk all over you just because you’re a woman now. Women have
their place in society, and it isn’t as a knight, but you Leo only
look like a woman. People would do good to remember that, and can all
this Your Majesty stuff. When I’m working the Tavern, it’s Klaus or
Barkeep. Besides, it wasn’t so much that he was making fun of you, but
that he was speaking ill of the dead, that is something I would never
allow in this establishment.”

Leo looked off to the side “I’ll keep that in mind” she said as she
downed another drink.

Cedric had to interrupt, he needed to find some way to get Leo to take
him to where he needed to be. “Sorry gentlemen, I feel for your loss
Sir Leo, but it is of great importance that I find Metamor, is there
anyway you could at the very least help me decipher this map?” he said
as he took out Seladon’s Map out of his satchel. “I can’t seem to find
Cornflower on here anywhere.”

Leo scratched where her beard used to be, a force of habit, as when
she was a man she was the proud owner of a great and fearsome bush of
face fur. “Aye, I suppose I can give a few pointers. You in a hurry to
become a lass? There are more reversible ways to become a woman you
know, I mean not many, but they’re out there.” Leo warned
half-jokingly as she leaned over to take a peek at the map and was
astounded. “Well there is your problem mate, this map is ancient!
Cornflower nor Mugal existed back then. Where did you get this map? It
belongs in a museum! Not an adventurer’s satchel.”

“I found it with a very old wizard’s belongings.” Cedric stated “Do
you have a more updated map I could borrow.”

Leo hummed to herself for a second “Alright, five silver, should buy
me a few more rounds.”

Cedric pounded his fist on the table “This is Highway Robbery! I could
get one from the local Scribe’s Guild for a few bronze.”

Leo smiled and waved her finger, a very feminine posture for someone
whose only been a lass for a few days. “Sorry peasant, but the one you
get from the Scribe’s Guild isn’t specifically marked by the Lanceless
Knight herself, the sole survivor of an elite force. You want to
survive the lutins? They’ve got a truce with some of the tribes,
monsters go hand in hand I guess, but a lot of them are still loyal to
Nasoj. Easy enough if you’re used to their brutality, but those that
aren’t. Let’s just say there’s a reason I’m alive at all. Five silver,
and that’s a discount, in the next five minutes it doubles in price.”

Cedric thought it over, he only brought 8 silver, and he so wished he
had saved more of his golden suns from his mercenary days. This as
almost all his money, and he definitely could not afford 10 silver.
Finally he groaned and took the coins out.

“Smart, why does a man like you, with next to no coin need to go to
place like Metamor? I know their Writer’s Guild is legendary, but with
the muscle and grime on you, I don’t take you for the reading kind. So
I’m guessing you’re looking for something.” Leo pondered. “With a body
as well taken care of as that one, I’m fairly certain it isn’t wanting
the curse to make you buff.”

“I have a sword I want to sell them, apparently only a man, or woman I
guess.” Cedric looked over Leo with the very fae of bewilderment as he
added that last bit. “From Metamor can wield it. I hope to sell it in
order to pay off Cornflower’s Debts.” Cedric stated calmly as Leo
handed him the map.

Leo grinned, and began to think. “I’ve been to Metamor before, I think
I’ve heard about this...” she said sarcastically, gesturing towards
her body. “meet me tonight alone and bring the sword. It’s very
important. I’ll be waiting at the Old Oak Tree at the edge of town.
The one with the name of my fiance....” Leo looked at her body, she’d
find the sight a wonder to behold, if it was not her own, and sighed
as fond memories of her and Anna came surfacing. They loved each other
deeply, Leo told her beloved poems she had heard from distant lands,
brought her trinkets from successful voyages, they were to be wed
after he, as she was at the time, returned from Metamor. But because
of the burden she’d have to carry for the rest of her life, it was
never meant to be.

Leo The Lanceless could hear the voice of Anna in the deep bowels of
her mind where the alcohol could not reach, the armored female’s
entire estrogen filled body shook as he could picture her long blue
hair, Leo had never met another woman with blue hair, as she stood
there staring her lover’s old body in the face. “Oh Leo, let’s never
part my love. Through sickness and health, I shall always be your
woman, and you will always be my man, and I know you and your mighty
blade will never let anyone take our joy away.”

Another memory, flooded back as Leo started to frown and sniffle a
little. She remembered just a couple of days ago, a far more painful
memory. “Anna, I’m sorry, the curse got to me. All my men are dead.
You’re the only thing I left.” as she hugged Anna for the last time,
the final touch she felt from her beloved. Anna was very uncomfortable
and shoved her lover aside, she opened her mouth as if to speak, but
merely walked off with a disappointed look on her face. As she saw
Anna literally turn her back on her, Leo saw the shattered fragments
of her soul blow in the wind, and for the first time since she was a
young lad, she began to cry, “Anna, I know I look like a woman,
but.... we can make this work.... My men are all dead, you  and Mugal
are the only things I have left in the world... Of my very being...”
but it was too late, Anna was out of earshot. She clawed a loose
fitting gauntlet into the dirt, which became mud with her tears. Many
onlookers shook their heads. She would have some explaining to do with
the Duke.

Back in the present, Leo felt a single tear trickle down her soft
cheek. She put on a war face and prevented any others from following
from her eyes. The only part of her old self remaining, the fire
inside of her eyes, the burning passion of a man in the middle of a
battlefield. Her face looked like a lion ready to roar as she angrily
lifted her tankard and chugged like she never chugged before. “THE
TREE, WITH MINE AND THAT SOUL-SUCKING SUCCUBUS’ NAME CARVED IN IT!
MEET ME THERE!” she pounded her fist on the bar as she breathed
heavily. Klaus and Cedric starring at Leo as she did so, everyone in
the bar did so too.

Klaus shook his head with a concerned look on his face. “I think you
need to go home and rest Leo. You’ve had enough.”

Leo looked up at the Prince, one of her last living friends and
gritted her teeth. “You’re damn right I’ve had enough!” the half-mad,
half-drunk left. Wobbling a little as her new body wasn’t as tolerant
of her usual brew as the old one was. A few patrons stared at her
armor-coated rump as she left for home, there was one thing she wanted
to do and only one thing. Get home and cry, cry her eyes out. Men
didn’t cry, but she was not a man, anymore. When she got home and
cried so hard that it literally became difficult to breathe. She
thought of something and smiled, she was NOT a woman, she was a boy
and she grew up into a fine man. And men do not get sad, they get
even.

Cedric decided to take this opportunity to order a to go sandwich, a
special they had at the Tavern, it was two slices of bread with
vegetables and meat between them, a queer meal, but oddly refreshing
and wonderful, and continued training in waiting for Leo. Cedric
devoted most of his time to tuning himself mentally and physically to
be a powerful warrior. He decided to jog throughout the town and then
volunteer for some hard labor, helping plow the fields for the summer
crops that would need to be planted soon. people are ecstatic for a
hard working man who works for little to nothing. Cedric found a
couple in need, the man and woman from the bar, and got to work,
insisting on using the most worn, difficult to use, and rusted tools.
It was a rush for Cedric to push his body to its very limits, his body
was something he was proud of. The very picture of strength and
masculinity. If this Metamor place turned men into women, he hoped he
would not have to stay long enough for such a thing to happen.

Hawl walked back up into the tavern, learning from his mistakes of
yesterday. Today he was dressed in less colorful and more casual garb,
he was a he, not a she this time. Today he was blonde, a little less
than handsome, and he had solid blue eyes. He was unimpressive and
called no attention, until he sat near the front and spoke to Klaus.

“Hey there stranger, we normally reserve the front for friends of the
royal family, but they haven’t been around since Leo’s team. Eh I
won’t bore ya with those details.” In truth, Klaus didn’t want to
remind himself that many of the men he was used to serving and calling
comrades were lost to this world. “So can I get you anything? Food,
Beverage? We have a special on sandwiches today they’re the most
popular item for food consumption here in Mugal. Other kingdoms don’t
know about our special method of preparing bread, but my dad, The
Duke, knows people.” Klaus stated, pouring wine for a couple, a woman
dressed in purple and a man dressed in red.

“That sounds great Klaus, can I get one with bacon, lettuce, and
tomato?” Hawl asked

“No you can’t Hawl, get out.” Klaus stated with a sigh and shook his head.

“What gave me away this time?” Hawl groaned, aggravated. He loved
sandwiches and the Mugal Tavern was the only place with them that he
knew of.

“First off you sat up here, where you usually do, you called me Klaus,
a true newcomer who actually didn’t know would not have called me
Klaus, but instead “Your Highness”, “Your Worship”, “Your Majesty”, or
any other of those ridiculous pet names for nobility. Though the
biggest give away was when you just told me.” Klaus ignored Hawl. It
was begining to become a game, whose Hawl and who isn’t? The game was
easy, but still had a charm to it he dared not admit. Though some
guessed when he didn’t have Hawl arrested, which he could have had
Leo, who had left shortly after Cedric had, do at anytime, that he
actually tolerated Hawl to an extent. Many just wanted to see him hung
from the gallows for his trickery, though several, Klaus included,
honestly didn’t mind and decided to let boys be girls be animals. Hawl
was a shapeshifter, no one knew why and he never gave a straight
answer. It was a power he did not use well. Pretending to be beggars
to steal people’s coins, worrying the town guard by turning into a
monster and scaring people around town, giving people a shock by
impersonating notable persons of power and barking commands, turning
into an attractive woman in order to get close to someone who had
something he wanted, spying on people in the shape of a common
squirrel, most distressing was the few times he attempted to commit
acts of adultery by pretending to be husbands and wives of the town’s
more attractive citizens, although fortunately for him no one had
anything outside of rumors to prove this otherwise he would have been
publicly executed, that was one game the transforming youth did not
play often. Nothing Hawl did ever really exceeded the level of a
boyish prank and even the adultery he did not ever actually go through
with, his conscience would not let him go through with it, the worst
he managed to do was a stolen kiss and some light touchy feely, he
felt remorse for even thinking about it and went out of his way to
make it up to those people. Even he knew that was a very wrong thing
to do. Hawl was not a man of Eli, but even he sought forgiveness from
the local church for the attempt. Several people’s heads spun as Hawl
had always been an opponent of religion.

“Oh come on K, why do you got to be like that?” Hawl asked “I’m
famished and my gold is good!”

Klaus sighed “Hawl, you’re a menace to society, your hatred of Eli
disturbs many rational people, your tales of sexual deviancy are never
in good taste, you never pay your tabs and still owe me much in coin,
you don’t stop impersonating people for personal gain, you’re an
annoying braggart who never shuts his trap, you’ve added onto other
people’s tabs by pretending to be them and ordering the most expensive
things off the menu, which caused a rush of greedy people claiming
that they were actually you when they ordered the good meat the other
week, and the list just goes on.”

Hawl gulped “Hey man, I don’t hate Eli, I just don’t think he’s the
only path to spiritual enlightenment. Eli’s pretty cool, I like
reading the Canticle!”

The entire tavern turned and faced Hawl, whispering amongst
themselves, the two heard one of them say “He’s a heretic! I bet he
knows daedra personally!” and another person respond with “I bet
that’s why he can change his shape like that, he must have sold his
soul!”

Klaus raised an eyebrow “Okay, what’s your favorite teaching of Yashua?”

Hawl stared dumbfounded for a second and after a few dull moments have
passed, all eyes on him. The young, but grey haired barkeep just
staring at him, sighing, before finally saying “We’re waiting” he
said, before Hawl turned around and proceeded to exit the bar “Thought
so” the barkeep stated

Hawl clenched his fist, which reshaped itself into a misshapen claw
like hand. Hawl couldn’t control his power sometimes and it was prone
to causing him to change shape when emotional. He stomped his first
and turned around again. “You know what! Your self-righteous bullshit
about Yashua, Eli, and the Canticle have taken it’s last toll on my
nerves. I don’t even know what I did you displease you people!”

Klaus looked down and shook his head in sadness, Hawl had been known
for negative opinions on The Ecclesia, he didn’t have much tolerance
for Rebuilders either, but he never voiced them this loudly, he’d need
to punish Hawl and do it now! Hawl made a fool of himself often, but
he managed to pay his taxes and stayed mostly within the confines of
the law if he did break the law, the legal system of Mugal definitely
wasn’t aware of it. Though the claw and his distressing choice of word
meant he’d have to do something. “Is that a threat?”

Hawl looked at his scaly pink hand. “No, I can’t always control my
powers. I don’t really know why I have them. It’s just something
that’s been with me all my life.... but I meant everything I said.
This mysterious force that I, and I alone wield makes me a far better
messiah than Yashua ever was, really you should all bow down before
me. I can just make myself younger and live forever, I’ve done it
before and I’ve lived for thousands of years.” Hawl was of course
lying about this.  He couldn’t back this claim up at all, but he was
counting on no one in the Tavern asking him too.

Klaus raised an eyebrow “That is a very disconcerting thing to say,
and most unfortunate, I’m sorry Hawl, but the penalty for sacrilege,
blasphemy, and treason, are all the same....” he said in a grim
depressed voice, almost swallowing his tongue as he braced for his
next two words.

Hawl was grabbed by two guards, they weren’t pretty like Leo, they
were gruff men decked in armor and gave him a dirty look as they did.
Many people were starring at Hawl, several were spitting their
beverages and dropping thing on the floor, a tavern wench actually
dropped a stack of plates and just froze there.

Prince Klaus put his left thumb down and gave the guards a very
serious look “...Public Execution, May Eli have mercy on your soul,
for when noon comes tomorrow, our guillotine, will not.”

Evan smiled and laughed as he got up from the bar with drink in hand,
few people hated Hawl more than he, and he took great pleasure in the
news as he waved a pint in front of his face “One last drink old
friend?” he chugged the beverage in front of him quickly before he
could answer and wiped the froth from his face. “Too bad”, he sat back
down after gesturing over his neck with his finger.

“Is this real life? Right now?” Hawl pondered this for a bit outloud,
clearly worried for his health, he had screwed up countless times, but
never this much, thinking of something he smiled and finally said. “I
can turn to steel and dull the guillotine’s blade. How about instead I
prove my divinity?”

The whole crowd gasped again, Evan just laughed and drank from his
mug, shaking his head. Klaus however smiled, he liked Hawl’s charm and
felt he was nothing more than a misguided youth throwing a temper
tantrum, he would see how this played out the worst case scenario was
the same as the best case scenario. Hawl would buy some time and give
Klaus one last comedy performance he could remember him by. The crowd
was even more shocked by Klaus’s next words.

“I’m listening” he said as he gestured to the guards to let Hawl go.

Hawl held up his mutant claw hand, which was now two claw hands, they
looked very much like rat paws, only for a much larger and more human
looking creature than a rat. “Alright everyone, I offered to cure Leo,
but she refused. I truly am the cure to the blight that no mage has
ever been able to remove. The Curse of Metamor, there wouldn’t be
anymore Metamorphing going on over there. I’d dare say they’d even
want to change the name of the province to Metaless!” Hawl was good at
jests, he needed to tell one here to reassure his own mind, not just
to win people over.

Everyone just looked, and pondered this. “What do you mean she refused?”

Hawl simply explained it “I told her I could cure her, she said that
she was fine being that way. I guess she has a man she fancies or is a
little too fond of putting on small skirts and skimpy outfits and
playing games in a mirror, I mean, who that can turn into a sexy babe
isn’t? Of course, the man thing could be valid, I’ve had sex as both
genders and let me tell you. Sex as a woman is like the hammer of
Suspria shocking pure bliss into your very being.” He could and should
have explained it simpler than that, a lot of people looked disgusted,
Klaus actually banged his head on bar in response to that,
interesting, imagery.  Hawl would have to quickly turn things around
if this farce was too work, and grossing the crowd out any further was
sure to make heads roll. The young man was very visibly sweating and
clearly losing the crowd. “I mean how about that Leo?” he feminized
his features, but not too much, that shapeshifting ability was a big
drain on energy and he had done it a few times more today than he
should have. Hawl had large exaggerated feminine breasts and a girly
face as he jiggled his bosom. “Look at me, I’m Leo, and I’m so manly
and strong!” Hawl leaned forward, showing a little cleavage as his
size changing shirt allowed. “Teehee”

Many in the audience found this in poor taste and those that did find
it funny were holding their breath due to Klaus’ new house rule he had
announced earlier today, regardless of Leo’s behavior, he was beloved
by the people and insulting him was almost as bad as insulting Eli,
plus the boob act was off-putting to most, especially after Hawl
implied he used to it to participate in acts of bisexuality as many in
the town, and the land in general, did not believe same sex relations
was that good of a thing.

Klaus was beginning to regret letting Hawl defend himself and was
about to have him taken away when a miracle intervened, a random man
in the audience asked him the one hundred gold coin question. “Why
should we care if you can cure the curse of Metamor Keep? We’re in the
deep Southlands, and Metamor is so far to the north, it would take a
week on horseback to get there! That curse can’t touch us. It is of no
concern”

One of his mates spoke up with him “Yeah, just haul Hawl off to the
stockade and let those freaks be.”

Hawl laughed, he couldn’t help it, as Hawl and haul were pronounced
the same, but he quickly stopped and told them something alarming.
“True, Mugal is in the Southlands, which are these lands, and they
happen to be located in the south, while Metamor is so far to the
north that it’s even north of the Northlands. Which is a lot of north
I know, but I’m hearing that some people in the Northlands are looking
a little younger than they were the other day, and it’s not the snake
oil salesman finally peddling a ware that works. That families have
lost a kid, but gotten a new pet, that siblings have different mothers
and father, but I’m not talking about divorce or re-marriage”

“Wha are you playing at daemon?” a woman with a thick accent asked.
“Wha’s zat got to do wif anythin’?”

“What I’m saying is the curse isn’t staying put, it’s expanding and
growing! If you don’t reverse a curse, the curse gets worse and sings
a new verse in which you now carry a woman’s purse!” Hawl explained,
gesturing with his paw-hands, bringing them to a ring and moving the
ring outward. The rat-handed, large breasted, young man of course had
absolutely no idea if this was true or not. He had merely read a story
once in which curses got worse the longer you went without correcting
them, but it was a story, not a book by a mage. Authors tend to have a
knack for getting details about magic wrong or sensationalizing it to
make stories seem more exciting, for the most part he assumed it
false, but ultimately did not know nor did he care, what mattered was
how much did the possibility of a town full of people like Leo
bothered the people who had his fate in his hands.

Evan elbowed Klaus and snortled “Try saying that five times fast!”

Klaus chuckled along with Evan and as though whole Tavern erupted in
panic and argument. So many voices.

“He’s bluffing! He’s got to be, Duke Thomas has court mages to keep
the curse in line! That’s why they ain't all fully animals and tots!
There’s no way he’d let that happen to outsiders”

“He let it happen to Leo, I bet he’s had a cure the whole time.
Probably keeps in in a vile of pure emerald he dangles from his equine
neck! Just to taunt people with! I bet his subjects kiss his hooves
just to beg him for it! He didn’t cure Leo as a warning to the rest of
us! All love the Horse King or be forever cursed!”

“What man would stay such an abomination willingly?”

“A cruel vicious tyrant who likes the monster on the outside as much
as the monster on the inside! He probably had his way with Leo before
she left!”

“Nonsense, Leo came back not realizing the curse was on him. Once it
starts it finishes you know.”

“Maybe that’s how he got her to agree, made it a partial cure, one
that wears off after so long, that’s why he came back a man and slowly
reverted back to what that jackass made her, but only to ensure she’d
get her way back to his bedside. I mean where is she now? Does anyone
know? Making her way back to ol Ass Grabbing Tom most likely. I spit
in his general direction for this.”

“Well good for him, he can be a blackmailing rapist stallion tyrant if
he wants, but we’ve got to get Hawl to end that curse once and for
all. I don’t want a damn tail!”

“Hey no worries, with as much of a pansy as you are, I think you’ll
wind up like Leo.”

“Is this really the time for jokes? The forces of hell could be
crawling at our doorsteps”

“WE’VE GOT TO MOVE MUGAL FURTHER SOUTH!, There’s no way Thomas would
let Hawl cure the curse if it’s all true”

“I bet he’s lying! Just kill that boobied boy and be done with this!”

“We’ve got to try! something, anything!”

They bantered on and on for what seemed like hours before Klaus
screamed at the top of his voice, causing Hawl to cover his ears, as
he always detested loud or high pitched noises.
“ENOUGH! ALL OF YOU! Stop! We cannot make empty accusations about
their Duke or any foreign diplomat, it reflects poorly on all of us as
a whole, no matter what has happened to the province, we must still
respect it as a nation with it’s ideals, especially since they aren’t
attacking us.”

This answer did not satisfy as a man from the crowd burst up
immediately with a protest. “Not yet they aren’t! I say we issue a
preemptive strike and not give them the chance! You know damn well
other towns will thank us for it!”, there was applause from one half
of the room and dead silence from the other.

Klaus groaned, a true man does not promote war, he arises to stop
wars, and he needed to quell this now before anyone got any bright
ideas. “However I am prepared to send Hawl there to see if he can
dispel the curse. If he is successful all charges against him will be
dropped and he is in temporary exile until such a period of time has
passed in which Metamor is cursed no more. Even if we could attack
Metamor successfully, Nasoj would focus his attention towards us
instead.” Though he was proud of Hawl for finding a clever way to save
his own skin and prevent the prince from having to issue his first
real execution order, he was still reasonably concerned, especially
since his father was a very greedy man who was known to attack others
for their gold.

Evan sat back and sighed, taking smaller sips from his frothy mug. He
was smarter than people gave him credit for, all everyone needed to do
was shut up, forget about the curse, and go home while Hawl was killed
and the world became a better place for it. He could see this nonsense
for what it was. Hawl just finding ways to beat around the bush and
avoid punishment. No one else was being reasonable and he just had to
scratch his head at this idea of the Duke of Metamor being a tyrant,
as he had heard several stories before Leo and his now deceased crew
went to Metamor in search of glory and they all seemed to paint the
stallion as a reasonable, whatever you call those things, who was
always just and fair.

Another one of the men in the Tavern screamed “Bullshit! Hawl’s
basically a child and obviously lying, I bet he’s cursed right now.
How do you explain how he knows Nasoj’s old spell is growing stronger?
Look at his hands, or should I say paws? If that’s not him turning
into the dirty rat he really is, I’ll eat my hat!”

Evan looked to Hawl and scratched his head, eventually asking “Yeah,
why do you have rat paws anyway?”

Hawl looked at his hands and tilted his head confused. “You know,
that’s a very good question, the answer is....... Actually I have no
idea” he really didn’t know, when he was emotional his powers
activated and there seemed to be no correlation between the specific
emotion he was feeling and the form taken.

The man who promised he’d eat his hat spoke up “Yeah, the curse is
right outside our homes, these are our last days of humanity, manhood,
or adulthood. Enjoy them while you can!”

Hawl laughed as Klaus began rubbing his forehead in sheer anguish
trying in vain to think of a way to end this torment that he had so
foolishly allowed to have started. “Don’t fret, I’m immune to the
curse. True I have picked it up, I didn’t want to alarm you so I
pretended it was nothing, but it’s really no concern. Honestly! I
liked how they looked, that’s why I didn’t cure myself.” Lying as he
went along, he put his hands in the air for all to see. “Hare today!”
he said as he placed his paws behind his back and closed his eyes
focusing the last of his mana on the paws. “Gone tomorrow!” Hawl had
two human hands once again. Much to the bewilderment of everyone
present in the Mugal Tavern.

“Well I’ll be damned” Evan said as he everyone stared “He.... HAWL CAN
CURE THE CURSE, SOMEONE FIND LEO!”

Klaus whispered in Evan’s ear “Hawl was never cursed, don’t be so
easily fooled. Keep it under your hat, please, for my sake at
least.... also rabbits aren’t rats... he knows that right”

“Actually I’ll tell him later, when I see him this morning. Let’s let
him have one last night of being a wench, give him sometime to reflect
on this ya know..” Evan stated, unconvincingly, but the crowd seemed
to buy it.

Some people actually threw themselves at Hawl’s feet, bowing and
thanking Eli for his presence. “Death To The Horse King!” a man yelled
“Let’s have a feast in honor of Hawl, The Bastion Of Humanity! We can
have him lead an army and wipe out those sons of bitches!”

Klaus wished he had never allowed Hawl to act as his own defense, if
only he’d just killed him or if he had done this in a smaller area
with less people to get all group-thinking. Word travels fast, and he
didn’t want people thinking or talking ill of other towns or provinces
without evidence of misdeeds. It was a good way to die, but he had to
throw a party for the hero. Especially since people lined up to start
buying food and drink, some for Hawl. He told the man “There will be
no army, we have no proof outside of hearsay from a drunken teller of
boasts and tall tales that there are any evil intentions from Duke
Thomas”

The man who suggested Duke Thomas was of vile character spoke up
“They’re still unholy abominations that walk the Earth against Eli’s
will!”

Klaus sighed as he had other workers take the rush of orders, he
walked from behind the bar and stood next to Hawl. “What do you know
of Eli’s Will, Putting words in the mouth of the divine would be the
end of us all. For all any mortal man knows, any curse expansion going
on could be Eli’s will, maybe he’s tired of humans like you running
their damned mouths! Besides, like you said, they’re unholy
abominations. And before that they beat the all-powerful wizard trying
to conquer the world with two thirds of their militia almost
completely out of commission and the remaining one third more
physically equipped to be prostitutes than soldiers. Do you really
want to try fighting them now that they’ve got sharp claws and fangs?
Could you bring yourself to slaughter a child, even if he was chanting
a spell in the language of Nasoj?”

Hawl was laughing at Klaus’ comments and his good fortune. He’d get
enough R&R to refill his mana drive and then he’d be scot free, he
loved psychology, now the entire town would be seeing him as some form
of chosen hero, at least for a few weeks. Klaus beckoned him and
stated something to the crowd “I’m going to speak with the chosen hero
for awhile you all, party.” his voice seemed to have a great deal of
annoyance to it.

Klaus and Hawl entered a back room and the white haired prince decided
it was high time he punched Hawl square in the jaw. Which he did, Hawl
reeling back in pain as he spat blood out. “Where the hell did you
learn to punch like that?”

“Where the hell do you get off doing.... Whatever the hell it is that
occurred tonight!?!” Klaus asked, sighing as he explained “Look I know
you were just trying to save your own neck, but what am I supposed to
do. These people are screaming for blood! I’m their prince! If I don’t
do something my dad will, and even you know how he is.”

“Well when I get to Metamor.....” Hawl started to say before he was interrupted.

“You’re actually going? Yashua’s Beard! I thought you were going to
transform and maybe take a new identity You do realize that if you
can’t cure the curse you may actually have to live there, for the rest
of your life.” Klaus pointed out “Amongst beasts and freaks!”

“I’ll be back, Mugal is the only home I know, I’ll be back after a
while. I should be fine in Metamor, I mean, I’m a freak myself” Hawl’s
tone suddenly became serious, but quickly shifted back to normal.
“But yeah it’s fine, I’ll just send a message stating my progress in
Metamor and when my power CAN cure the curse. I’ll be back. If I
can’t. Well chances are it’s not even expanding. I just have to wave
my hand, say some hocus pocus and see if I can get a hoof stamped
letter declaring the Duke doesn’t want to attack Mugal.”

Klaus looked at him angrily “Oh hell no! That’s not how we’re doing
this! You’re going to actually make a breakthrough. Come back here as
your normal self after a month, with an escort from Metamor and a
signed letter, and I’ll believe anything you say. I’ll arrange a cart
to take you straight there. Return without these things and I’ll not
only grant you a full pardon. I’ll do whatever you want.”

“Free drinks for life?” Hawl asked, tilting his eyes in sinister
contemplation “If I can cure the curse of Metamor.”

“Fine! But if you can’t, you are never to return to Mugal unless the
fate of the world depends on it!” Klaus stated, finally taking time to
catch his breathe. “Leo will be coming to check on your progress when
we find him again, so do not think you can ditch Metamor Keep, he
can’t be cursed twice. You are being exiled TOO Metamor. And she will
make sure you stay INSIDE Metamor until it is done.”

“Fair enough. Odd request though... prepare me a cart, I’ll rest for a
bit, to regain my power.” Hawl stated “I’ll be out of your hair soon
enough.”

“Good, by the way some strange men in robes were asking about you
earlier.” Klaus casually stated. “Said you owed them.”

“What do they want now!?!?” Hawl asked, grabbing his biceps and
shivering, as if he were cold. Carefully scanning the room, his eyes
quickly filling with terror that few men have ever had the punishment
of ever coming to know. He dared not blink, fully believing that
anything in this room could potentially be the very instrument of his
ultimate destruction.

“You simply must stop jumping at shadows, they’re likely no one of any
real interest or reason to get worked up about.” Klaus re-assured, his
own emotional state retaining at best a calm and patient demeanor, at
worst, someone getting very annoyed with Hawl’s shenanigans and very
eager to see him leave to somewhere he was not likely to return from.

“Then what are they after? Did they say what they wanted?” Hawl asked,
still feverishly looking around the cold dimly lit backroom of the
Mugal Tavern. He had actually morphed away his eyelids to prevent
himself from blinking, even by mistake. Until he was absolutely sure
that he was carefully and snugly nestled into the purely figurative
giantess’ bosom of safety

“I asked them because I knew you would react like this. The Flesnoirs
are not real, Hawl, they’re just a story. They don’t exist. The man
just wanted some money you owed them. I said I’d tell you when I saw
you again.” Klaus said, but quickly become flustered as he noticed
that Hawl was continuing to ignore him.

“Look I’ll take care of it, I just want you out of here. If you see
them, tell them I have their money” Klaus tried assuring, but Hawl
still couldn’t focus on anything except his own worry.

Finally he turned to Klaus and spoke with a calm, focused voice that
had more thought in it than it needed to. “I need a disguise.....
Klaus, Let me rest up a bit, then I’m going out as a rat.” Hawl said,
recalling the rat claws he had earlier.

“Why?” Klaus asked with all frustrations gone, transmogrified into
curiosity and surprise.

“Because if I look like I’m from Metamor, people will be interested in
getting me back home and out of their hair.” Hawl said with his
confidence restored

“Of course, that’s the normal reaction to seeing a talking rat......”
Klaus said, at this point having given up on Hawl, going so far as to
muttering the following under his breathe. “....You’ll be dead within
a week.”

It was nightfall and Cedric was just given a few bronze coins in
appreciation for his labor by the woman in purple and man in red from
the bar, he insisted he was in it for the work and not the money, but
they insisted he was at least worth a few bronze. The blonde haired
man in his mid twenties decided he would now go to the Oak Tree and
wait for Leo, which he did, passing by several large lovingly crafted
wood houses and guild halls. They were of fine quality, the finest
Cedric had seen in quite some time.

Sight seeing would have to wait though, he had to finish his quest
into the thrice cursed kingdom and start upon a path that would lead
to him becoming the very thing he wanted to be. The would-be knight
eventually found the tree near the north eastern edge of town, the
tree was mighty and made of oak. Carved into it was a heart with an
arrow through it that read. “Leo + Anna”, a romance that had Cedric
wondering if it still rang true. He took out the map and sat down, he
should have checked it sooner. There were markings in red pointing to
various Lutin Hideouts, warnings about staying on the path, and
special notes to help one recognize the difference between Lutins and
Keepers. As far as Cedric knew all the curse did was turn you into a
woman or a man if one was already a woman, so he was not sure what the
negative stigma was about. True, a woman was meant for keeping house
and birthing young while a man was meant for hunting and keeping safe
his loved ones, but a curse could excuse one for acting out of turn.
Cedric studied his map for some time, he estimated he could be there
in a fortnight on foot, and a third of that time by horse. Eventually
an hourglass figure clad in full metal gear walked forward, obviously
Leo.

“So whoever you are, I hope you brought the Keeper’s Blade” she said
“There’s talk of a cursed sword that steals a man’s very soul, but as
I am no longer a man. I must help you transport this blade.”

Cedric unsheathed the transblade, looked at it, put it back and
unhooked it from his tunic, which hid his chainmail chest plate. “This
is the Transblade, but Seladon’s Letter said it was known by many
names. Is this the one of which you speak?”

Leo beckoned the blade handed over with her right hand, to which
Cedric obliged, and handed it over. Leo took the blade out of its
sheath and felt a surge of energy flow through her, it felt so great
that it literally sent a wave through her whole body, knocking her
helmet off and making her long white hair stand literally on end.

“Woah! This feels incredible! I’ve never felt a surge like this....
aaahhh” her voice contained traces of euphoria and ecstasy as she
began to glow blue. Eventually it died down and her hair fell facing
the ground again, she rubbed her head. “That felt good, ooooooh felt a
little too good” the blade had excited the curse.

The woman in her was beginning to surface, the lustfulness associated
with the change had kicked in. Leo’s willpower was not enough to
contain it, she became dangerous and had an itching to appease the
sexual tension gripping her, but there was other ways of exciting
one’s passion. Leo wasn’t into men and she was by no means a rapist,
so she looked towards her blood lust which had made her infamous on
the battlefield.

“Thank you whoever you are, thanks for the blade” she said, gaining a
big toothy smile as she swung the sword and having it instantly taking
the form of a katana, a sword from the east known for being quite
sharp. She swung it down and then pointed it at Cedric threateningly.

The attacked ambassador thought about fleeing. “Nay!” he cried in his
head, he had to get the Transblade back, his mission demanded it. In
place of a fight or a surrender, he decided it best to go with
beseeching her to retain her senses. He was not sure about fighting a
woman, even if she was a he prior to this meeting.

Cedric brought his personal sword to her head, pointing it
threateningly and being sure to speak in a clear firm voice. “Lady
Leo, you aren’t feeling well. In light of your condition, I am willing
to accept your surrender, the return of my blade, and a refund with
interest on the map you sold me as reprimand for your crime.”

“Don’t talk such rot!” Leo said as she smiled in triumph, twitching a
bit as her breasts grew larger, her face more youthful, her hair much
longer, and her child-bearing hips more ready for their intended new
purpose. She was pretty before, but now with these and other not so
subtle edits she looked like a Fertility Goddess, it was the curse,
the blade had brought out the worst of it in her. Cedric however had
no way of knowing that and was left confused, though most others would
have been more aroused by this display of enhanced femininity. There’s
an old saying men have about a woman’s wrath and it goes something to
the effect of “You’re cute when you’re angry”, as cliche as it sounds
it was certainly the case here. Cedric could not see in Leo’s face a
warrior with a passion for battle, set off to strike, but instead the
facial features of a young girl in her late teens, adorably annoyed.
The curse wasn’t completely disguising her though. One had to be
observant and actively searching for it to see it, but it was there.
Present only in the eyes of a man who had seen war, passions truly
laid in the hearts of battle hardened men, the passion to live and die
by the blade. Not the sort who rises to stop wars from happening. No.
The kind who would go utterly insane from the idea of a world that
would always remain at peace. The kind that would deny immortality as
it would invalidate the need for courage or valor. The very man you
would never want to trust or associate yourself with nor the kind even
the suicidal would be afraid of having as one’s enemy.

“I beg your pardon?” Cedric asked confusedly and taken aback somewhat
by the sudden transformation. He blinked once before Leo lifted the
Transblade and began to slash at him, Cedric blocked and parried with
his blade and then kicked at Leo’s leg, but Leo would not have it as
she quickly regained her footing. Cedric was left on the defense as
Leo’s blows were very fast and very deadly, having already cleaved the
nearby oak tree’s branches considerably. Cedric was sweating as all he
could do was defend himself as Leo smiled and swung like a madwoman,
laughing as she did so. Something was very wrong with her and Cedric
didn’t have time to think about what.

He cried, knowingly in vain, but his main motivation was one born out
of fear “Leo! You have no ill affairs with me.” the panicked male
cried out as he struggled to defend himself from the vicious
assailant. He would dare not let up before she did, lest he wish to
experience all the meat be carved off of his bones like a freshly
roasted pork before a king’s fancy feast.

“.....” Leo said nothing as she continued to swing wildly. Cedric ran
to the right, wishing he was the kind of warrior who put stock in
shields. He managed to break away, receiving quite the shock when an
arrow whizzed past him. When he looked back towards the direction of
the shot he saw a Crossbow pointed at him. “I won’t miss this time...
It’s going to be fun watching your brains leak out of that thick skull
of yours.”

Cedric whirled his sword around in front of him, spinning in a
rotational direction. It was a risky move and very unlikely to work
though it did. The fates smiled upon him as this tatic worked long
enough for him to manage getting close enough to grab Leo and push her
into the tree, then pulling her close to headbutt her. Knocking her
out. He then grabbed the Transcrossbow which flashed the word “SORRY”
on its loaded bolt. Cedric placed the crossbow in his bag.

“At least this makes you lighter.”  Cedric said, calmly

At that moment a carriage passed by and halted containing a creature
who looked like a man, if his father happened to be an albino rat, he
was dressed dark nobles’ clothing, and smiled. Speaking with a hint of
an archaic accent.

“Halt Driver! I wish to congratulate this particular traveler on his
conquest.” he said as he turned to Cedric. “You have vanquished Leo. I
was never noted as one who cared for his particular character.”

Cedric swallowed “I apologize....” he was very afraid of this creature
and the soulless red eyes he was starring at him with. “But she had
attacked me....”

The rat smiled “You heard him Driver. Our friend here is quite
innocent of any charges of murder. Now, finish him companion of mine.
Leo shall not bother anyone again. It is only just that you do to him
what she tried to do to you.”

Cedric looked to Leo and back to the rat. “I apologize Were Rat, but I
cannot kill a woman. However  I must ask, from where do you hail. And
where are you going?”

“As a fellow sufferer of the blight that is the curse of Metamor, I
must please inquesition that you kill her immediately. At her core she
is all man, believe me. I have seen others like her.” The rat had
requested, the driver looking at him and shaking his head. “Oh don’t
give me that look. Klaus never said that Leo had to live.”

The driver smiled “Then Klaus can’t keep tabs on you in Metamor, I
like the way you think kid. Cedric, hurry up and waste her already.”

The rat panicked for a second “Why would anyone be keeping tabs on me?
I merely wanted to be with my brother, and that’s it.”

The driver laughed nervously “My mistake, it’s that exile who he’s
keeping tabs on.”

“Right yes, she was watching Hawl, I’m not Hawl.” The rat nodded,
though his face wasn’t fooling anyone, he was very scared.

“Metamor!” Cedric stated “You must take me with you...... Pardon, how
did you know my name.”

The driver thought for a second. “Overheard your name in the tavern.
You’re transporting the Transblade, you were talking to someone else
about it. Didn’t see them though.” he looked nervous as Cedric nodded
in agreement, the driver breathed a sigh of relief quietly to himself
though no one else saw of it. “You can come with us provided you kill
the she-knight.”

“If she were a man, I would consider it. She is not. I won’t, and I
will not allow you to kill her either. I will not take her back to
town, but if she dies out here, it won’t be by my hand.” Cedric
insisted “Now will you offer me passage on your cart, or am I hoofing
it? I have a map that can show us where the lutins hide”

“Come aboard regardless, we could use a skilled warrior to deal with
those green little shits anyway.” the older looking driver, wearing a
black robed outfit much like the rat had stated, his voice was very
cold, even more so than the rat’s.

Cedric did so and handed the map to the driver, after of course,
stopping to take what he felt Leo owed him out of her bag, and not a
shilling more. The rat and the man looked at each other and laughed
for a bit, and then traversed forward after Cedric got onto the cart.
“You two, your black robes and cold expressions. Are you from
Sondeshara?”

“If we were, you wouldn’t want to ask us that, free survival tip for
you. But we’re not regardless.” The man driving the cart had said.
“I’m just an innocent cab driver, names Rergoez. The rat’s name is
Gabe.” Cedric thought the name was a little familiar.

The rat spoke up “Gabriel Locke to be precise, it is possible you may
have heard of my brother, Gregg, a famous stableman, where I am from,
which is Metamor. I am visiting him, I was away on business.
Necromancer you see, very dangerous, very secret. Try not to ask
anymore questions about me.” sounding incredibly shady and uncertain
all the while.

“I’m Cedric Bariclauph, Ambassador from Cornflower to Metamor.... and
I never asked, though if you are a Necromancer. I must ask if you can
tell me something about the spirit realm.” Cedric seemed eager now
“It’s very important to me, and I’ll give you anything you want!”

“Try getting the Transblade from him, being a Keeper, it would be
rather useful to you. It’s supposed to grant powers to those of
altered shape, and who knows. They say it has roots from Metamor, it
may hold.... sentimental... value.” The driver seemed to pause as he
said it. Keeping his face purely on the road.

“Excellent idea!” The rat stated as he closed his eyes and chanted for
a bit. “What do you need to know Cedric?”

“....I can’t give you the Transblade, but I’ll share some of the
bounty I get from selling it with you.” Cedric stated “But please, I
want to know, is my sister Claire still amongst the living?”

“Simple, yeah Claire Bariclauph, she’s totally dead... yes, very
mystical diagnosis. Very powerful, very magical.” Gabriel had stated,
seemingly scattered brained, the driver said nothing to him and just
shook his head slightly, but not enough for Cedric to see it. “Now, I
can bring her back to life, but will cost exactly one Transblade.” he
noticed Cedric’s heavy face and began speaking again. “We cannot put a
price on our sisters now can we? I have one back in Metamor, her
name’s Tiffany, delightful young hyena. I’ve had to bring her back
once. Complicated ritual really.”

“Alright, but not until I see her alive.” Cedric stated, “Then and
only then will I pay you.” he folded his arms and gave Gabriel a very
sincere look that let him know he definitely wouldn’t budge on this,
the rodent opened his mouth to say something, but placed his paw in
his muzzle.

“Yes of course......” Gabriel stated “I would not dream of ripping off
a brother in the large dream that forms the game of life. We are all
truly one as they say. Rergoez, I’ll be taking a little ratnap, wake
me up if I’m asleep when we get there.”

“Yes Sir Locke, as you wish, Cedric..... will you be doing so as
well?” Rergoez asked, not taking his eyes off of the road. Cedric was
very tired as he had traveled so far and trained so hard, not to
mention having just fought for his life, so against his better
judgment he nodded and then nodded off. “Do you wish to have a bite to
eat before nodding off. I have some turnips in my pocket.”

“More of a meat man myself, but, a future knight must learn never to
turn his nose at hospitality. I shall take your offer.” Cedric stated
as Rergoez handed him three turnips which Cedric downed before
stopping to tell him “Thank you Rergoez. If we are attacked and I
fall, take the transbla...ade.... and.... yawn. Run.... I’m more tired
than I realized.... Good Night Rergoez and Sir Locke.... good
night...” he said as he conked out.

Rergoez laughed to himself “Nighty-night, sleepyheads.”

The two woke up with their cart stopped, Rergoez was nowhere to be
found, Gabriel was tied to a nearby tree, thumping his tail against
the bark. He panted a bit as he called out for help. Cedric appeared
to be still sleeping. The rodent was beginning to think that the
Cedric had died. “Well, I’m fucked....” he said to himself as he
resigned to his fate, licking the roof of his mouth as it was tired of
screaming for help, he had been awake for a few hours and screaming
his head off ever since. “CEDRIC YOU LAZY LITTLE SHAVED MONKEY, GET
THE HELL UP RIGHT THIS INSTANT!” he yelled one final time in vain.

Cedric did hear him though, but he could, not get up, his mind was
awake, but his body wasn’t obeying even the command for his eyelids to
open, he struggled, but it was hopeless, all of his strength focusing
on keeping himself alive, he was breathing, but barely, his organs
desperately wanted him to slow down and shut off, like a tattered
machine. He filled his head with pictures of shame. Lord Aereolon
looking down on him with a frown, Captain Redblood shaking his head no
and saying “I knew the rookie wasn’t up to the task.”, and finally of
the bandits who had took his sister giving him lewd gestures and
smiling with their rotting teeth as they drug his sister away.
“Claire’s coming with us shithead!” they taunted. Cedric found it
within him to pound his fist, open his eyes, and inch toward Hawl, he
was indeed still in his chainmail, which added a considerable amount
of weight to him. But he did not care as the image of his young sister
being dragged away as she kicked and screamed for her dear brother to
help her, and him being able to do nothing, but watch as they threw
her into a fire and watched her dance around as she cooked to death,
flesh becoming charred and blackened as her tears mixed with blood and
trickled down her cheek, drying immediately as they did so.

Gabriel shook and shook, but couldn’t get free from the tree he had
been tied too, on top of that he couldn’t stop licking his incisors as
he chomped in the air, the rat in him had been applied far better than
he had suspected. “Damn it! And did I have to be THIS accurate.......
Bloody fangs....” he said, “Two problems and no solution for either...
the rope, and the teeth...... Oh decided to move have we Cedi?... What
are you so down about? I’m the one bound to an oak and unable to
relief the suffering in my teeth with no obvious way out of either!”

Cedric groaned as he drug his body across the ground with just one
hand, the rest of his body unable to do much of anything. “Cla.....”
he managed to groan

“Cla?” Gabriel stated as he tilted his head, and tried cutting at the
rope with his incredibly long tail, smacking at the rope. “Very
helpful.... Why did I have to become become a rat anyway? There was NO
REASON to become a rat, could have been a woman. You wouldn’t have
laid there if I was a woman or maybe better a cat that could cut
through this, or a dragon that breaths fire. Fucking anything but a
rat! Oh for Eli’s sak! GET UP CEDRIC!”

“Ire.....” Cedric mouthed, moving towards where the cart was heading.
“Must.... save... Claire...” he groaned, his body showed no signs of
returning to life, but his spirit was burning bright.

“Gabe first Mister Hero! I need to chew and I need out of this rope
either untie or let me chew on your arm. Whichever one you pick, do
something!” Gabriel exclaimed, kicking at the tree with his hindpaws,
scraping them against the bark.

“Chew..... the rope.... you.... idi...oit...” Cedric passed out for a
second, his burst of courage no match for the poison that had been
flowing through him at this moment in time. In a flash, Cedric was no
more, gone from this Earth he was as he conked out, the last bit of
life in him fading slowly. He was gone, not completely, but he was no
more.

Gabriel looked annoyed, he pouted and turned his head sharply
downward. “Right... I... knew I could do that, I just didn’t feel like
it... Because shut up! That’s why!” he said as he went to town,
chomping and chomping at the ropes, nibbling as they gave way and he
was freed. Falling to the grass he rubbed his muzzle. His teeth
relieved and free, he chomped at the air and cracked his neck and jaw
by paw. The rat smiled and giggled as he literally spun in place.
Feeling much, much better than he had before. He looked over to the
now deceased bodybuilder, walking up to him and kicking him “Cedric,
please get up. Our beasts of Burden are gone and so is our driver.” he
turned Cedric over and began stomping on his stomach. “I need a
bodyguard you slothful bastard, I am alone, a single rodential soul
lost in Eli knows where and you’re the only pretty boy hero who can
get me out of here, you’re damn cute though.... hmm” he said
scratching his chinfur “.....if you won’t get up for me I know someone
you will get up for, maybe even get it up for.”

Cedric saw himself in a strange clouded landscape, and saw a bearded
old man with a bright kingdom behind him, the kingdom was glorious,
like nothing Cedric had ever seen before. He saw the man standing in
front of a Golden Gate, and before Cedric could say a word the man
shook his head. “Earth still needs you Cedric, it’s time to wake up.
Something you ate did not agree with you.” he had said, as Cedric felt
the clouds he was standing on give way and himself fall to the Earth,
and into his own body.

Cedric found himself snapped back into reality, seeing a ravishing
young maiden in a corset, and a short skirt. She was monochrome in
color as she appeared to be some form of skunk, or tiger maybe, as the
stripes would reveal. Cedric wondered just how far they were from
Metamor to see this creature. At first he thought the curse only made
people into women, but apparently it did this too. Cedric stopped to
say something to her, but vomited onto the dusty trail, having the
turnips he had eaten come out of him, he then stood up proudly,
feeling far far better than he had before. He blinked uninterested ay
the skunk-tiger’s ample bosom in his face as she leaned to get a good
look at him, and wiped the vomit from his mouth before giggling and
telling her. “I’m sorry that was an impolite thing to do in the
presence of a woman.”

“Quite alright darling, I did just have to resurrect you. You were
barely alive, so it was just a matter of pushing the poisons out. At
first I thought you were just sleeping, but then when you would not
wake up and I smelled the poison on you. I have smelled that poison
before... twice in my life...” the beast maiden said as she looked to
the left thinking to herself quickly. “Anyway we’re very close to
Metamor, Re... I mean, your cart seemed ransacked, the horses and
driver left.”

“That’s impossible, by foot it’s a fortnight, by cart a many days
journey, I’d have to have been out for three days at the very least.
Gabriel, the rat who was here....  He was the one who chewed through
that bit of rope by the tree over yonder”  Cedric questioned as he
pointed to a few trees nearby the road, focusing in particular on the
one that had discarded bits of rope surrounding it.

“Ah yes Gabriel, friend of mine, he likely had a spot of lunch at the
Blind Pig or whatever it’s called. Well, it is possible that the man
driving your cart was from one of the Southland Mage Clans. Possibly
the Cult Of The Flesh, or the Flesinoir judging by the scent of the
cart.” The skunktiger said,
“So how about you and I walk around the forests Cedric?”
“Cult of the..... Wait, how did you know my name?” Cedric had asked,
originally wanting to ask one question, but found the second one more
important. As a strange animal woman was trying to seduce him and
although he wasn’t buying into it, people seduce because they want
something. It happened before to other men on many of his escapades as
a mercenary, but he never let it happen to him.

“I read your mind and saw that your name is Cedric, you’re a warrior
with a dead sister named Claire, and you carry the Transblade.” The
woman said to Cedric, he noticed that she seemed to list these things
as opposed to say them with any clear sign of emotion. The lack of
empathy in a seductress talking about a dead sister was a good sign of
a novice, but that wasn’t the only thing he noticed. He looked her
over for any signs of weapons, but found none, he decided to tackle
her and looked quite angrily into her eyes. She smiled at him “You’re
a bit forward, I like that.” she said with a large hint of lust in her
voice as she stroked his dirty long blonde hair, she had some
difficulty in doing this as it was quite knotted.

He breathed heavily “You’re not my type Gabriel!” he yelled as loud as
he could. “What do you know about the cult of the flesh?”

“I HATE YOU ALL! YOU ALWAYS SEE ME! What’s the point of these powers
if you can always tell......” Gabriel screamed before melting away her
form into that of a young adolescent  human male with light brown
hair. “My name’s Hawl Enroygall of Mugal by the way, there’s no Gabe,
he’s just a character I made up. Quite popular, see I perform
sometimes with my crazy powe....”

Cedric decked Hawl right in the face, Hawl wanted to cry, he’d been
smacked around a bit, but not this hard. That was a full on punch with
full intent to kill. The dirty haired warrior wanted to try again, but
felt a deep sadness, it seemed to come from his bag as opposed to his
being, but it pained him more than anything he had felt in his life,
save for the seizure of his sister. “I’m sorry, but, you do not joke
with me about my sister.... I...” he shook his head and helped Hawl up
“What do you know about the Cult Of The Flesh? I’ve heard of it
multiple times, whispered as a rumor. You’re the first person to tell
me that it exists for a fact, not to mention you’re a shape shifter.
The legends spoke of that being their research’s goal/”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. Those nut jobs have been
bugging me for the past eight years, which is basically as far back as
I can remember. I tried telling people, but does anyone listen to
Hawl? Ha, is the Pope a Lothanasi? Does ice burn? Of course not.
Fortunately they seem to be gullible and love experiments. For a pint
of rat blood I got one to abandon the chase for Hawl and give Gabriel
a ride to Metamor. Hehe gullible little shit.” Hawl laughed to himself
as Cedric helped him up.

“He is less foolish than you may believe or did you not notice how he
poisoned me and left you to die on a tree.” Cedric thought to himself
for a second and found amusement in this. “Ha a rat who doesn’t think
to chew through his bindings or a man who forgets that a rodent is
capable of just that. I don’t know which is more thick headed. Come
Hawl if you will, I have no desire to remain in cursed territory for
too long.” Cedric stated as he looked at the cart and then walked into
the direction it was facing.

Hawl decided to come with, not wanting to take his chances with any
Lutins in the area. The two remained silent as Cedric looked very
determined. Using none of their time to take in the scenery, none of
the trees or wildlife. Hawl did look around curiously, not enough to
study it, just gazing about. Truthfully he was frightened and trying
to distract himself, the cult of the flesh, he had lived in their
shadow and they had always been watching him. He never knew what they
wanted, but it had something to do with him, well of course it did. If
it didn’t involve him they would not care about him and thus he
wouldn’t know of them. Hawl had asked about them, but he was ignored
by all. They swore the infamous Innsmauz was just a children’s story
that he read far too much into, but Hawl knew there was more to it.
Something between the lines no one else noticed. He would often
transform just to get away from them. Were they friends? He did not
want to take the chance that they were not. He thought to himself for
a second and realized something he deemed quite important to the plan
of his temporary bodyguard. “If you’re going to Metamor to give them
to the Transblade, shouldn’t you go get Rergoez. I don’t think its
worth the Duke’s time or a curse to be empty handed, just saying.”

Cedric smiled “This is why we must smile upon small miracles. Young
Hawl” Said individual looked at him strangely as he got a crossbow out
of his bag, deciding it best not to hold the weapon by its handle,
something that struck most as evidence of incompetence, but his
natural youthful mindset left him in a state of awe as he looked it
over, or maybe it was something more. He wasn’t sure why, but he knew
he was meant to have this crossbow. This crossbow wanted him to have
it, he would leave with it. Hawl was transfixed and nothing could pull
him out of it as he snatched the crossbow from Cedric’s hands and
proceeded to run off with it. Cedric did a double take as he realized
what just happened. He tried to hold on to it, but he just felt it
slip away, he felt no desire to hold onto it, even though his entire
quest and his big shot at knighthood lied within it. He stomped his
booted fit and gave chase, but Hawl had already shifted again, turning
into one of the forest’s many lutins.

“RAT! I bet Gabriel was your true self!” Cedric called angrily, but as
he chased Hawl he found himself attracting unwanted attention as there
were other lutins hiding in the forest, these ones born that way. He
was taken by surprise and was quickly tackled to the ground by one as
he was chasing the thief. Two others walked up, Cedric looked at them,
none were Hawl, but the one lifting his crude and short blade whilst
sitting atop his chest was the one he took the most issue with. Cedric
punched him in the face and proceeded to wrestle the sharp jagged
dagger he had been holding from him, but he could not over power three
lutins with this weapon as they proceeded to beat him mercilessly. He
tried swinging the knife blindly, but to no avail. Cedric began to
ball up in pain as even his hardened body was no match for their group
assault a he began to kneel over and accept that he might not get up.
The pain didn’t bother him as much as knowing he had failed
Cornflower, he had failed himself, he failed Metamor, and he failed
his long departed sister. Having overcome poison and an elite knight,
who although was a woman, perish the thought, but a knight
nonetheless.

Suddenly though he heard a female voice call out “GET OFF OF HIM YOU
REJECTED MUTANTS!” as an old battleworn pike was thrust into the skull
of the creature, Cedric looked behind him as a being who appeared to
be half woman and half ferret, having grayish fur, and both of her
eyes a seperate color, the left red, the right black, pushed down on
her pike’s handle and threw the deceased behind her, quickly affixing
the weapon towards the two remaining attackers. “I’m feeling generous
today, leave the human alone and go crying back to Nasoj or get maimed
by a girl, an average day for lutins I know. Sorry I can’t mix it up a
little.” she said in a combination of anger and snide, holding her
pike in an offensive position shaking her head, keeping her eyes on
the two remaining.

The lutins paused for a second, feeling fear by this ferret’s mere
aura alone, the way she handled herself, and the death of their
comrade, they looked at each other and nodded, springing themselves on
her. “You chose poorly.” she said with mock disappointment as she
impaled one lutin through the stomach and kicked the one behind her.

Cedric coming to his feet and gaining a second wind, shoved the one
not impaled to the ground and began smashing his face in with his
fist. “It’s not nice to attack a lady. Especially if she’s asking you
to leave. Where is your honor you filthy animal!?” he cried out, the
ferret gave him a dirty look as she kicked the lutin off of her pike
and went to ask Cedric something, but she turned around and threw her
pike at the previously impaled creature who got up and went after her.
Some creatures just can’t learn, and now this one was dead, the ferret
got him through the heart.

Cedric got up after he was certain he had beaten the lutin to death,
and turned to face the ferret. “Thank you Sir Rodent, I owe you a
great deal of thanks and apology. I am most sorry for that filthy
animal comment. I meant you no insult, the fight was in me and that
slipped out.”

The ferret smiled “I’m not a man, as you can plainly tell from my
physique.” she turned around and grabbed her pike from the dead lutin,
it had a few feathers from a red cardinal near the pointy end, which
resembled a trident. The red cardinal’s feathers seemed far large,
Cedric pondered if they had came from a creature who was half-human,
much like herself, only a bird instead of a ferret.

“I’m sorry, miss, I just assumed you were under the curse, especially
since you fight so well for someone of your sex. You may want to leave
before it claims you. I’d hate for your beauty to be tarnished.”
Cedric stated, smiling and looking the ferret over. He had to admit,
this animal woman was kind of cute. Not his type, but still a pleasant
thing to see after almost dying. “Can you point me towards Metamor
Keep or, better yet, where the lutins are hiding out at. There’s one
with something I need to show the Duke Of Metamor.”

The ferret laughed “What you think all we do is change sex?”

Cedric tilted his head. “Well, I’m not entirely sure of this Metamor
place, I don’t know much about it. From what I had heard I assumed it
turned men into women and women into men, and merely had a high
population of were-rats.”

The ferret shook her head, but couldn’t contain her laughter “I was
never a man, but I was all woman at one point. The curse has me be a
ferret from here to the grave, don’t mind it really, it does make me
look cute and I do think that tail’s a nice touch, but I would kill
50,000 lutins in a single day to be able to eat salad again. Carnivore
ya know. Anyway I can take you to the Duke, he’s a black stallion,
since you’re still human, male, and over 14 he’ll take seeing you as a
high priority. Sides, I’ve always wanted to meet him myself. Saw him a
few times when he was human, but never really exchanged words.”

The two began walking. “So the curse turns you into an animal, but I
had heard from some people in town that people could, that men could
become woman and...”

“Yeah and women men, like my folks. You said that already. There are
three curses, one at the first gate that made men women and women men,
the idea was to make our boys into sex slaves, and our girls into mad
rapists. Gotta admit, that one amuses me quite a bit, but they don’t
think it’s funny. Some say that’s the worst one. Then at the second
gate everyone became a baby, not many people like that still alive, at
least, out of those who were here for it, but they’ve aged up a little
since then, none past puberty though, and finally at the third gate
well, animals. I think the idea was food for the lutins and for Nasoj
to ride the Duke Of Metamor like the horse he became. So, don’t call
anymore girls sir unless they’re adult humans or the apothecary,
actually no I wouldn’t call Pascal a sir.” the ferret said.

Cedric nodded “I think I got it, that sounds like it’s hard to get
used to. I take it you were born here, must have been hard getting
situated into the new swing of things.”

“I was here for the attack, I was born in the Northlands and lived
there with my brother until I was kidnapped by bandits, an older
couple, the man a knight, took me in. They didn’t have any kids of
their own and couldn’t really have any either. So, they raised me like
a daughter. I’m kind of glad I got separated from them during the
attack. I’d rather not have been in the first gate.” The ferret
shuddered “I don’t want to be a man. I’m fine with the fairer sex, I
think it’s a good fit for me. Plus it doesn’t help that shortly after
we had a new lord, cause the old one got drunk and killed himself, and
the new one, his former wife if you could believe it, was just
completely obsessed with gender. I mean it’s a good thing daddy moved
us away from that lunatic or....” she noticed Cedric seemed uneasy and
stopped talking. “Is something bothering you?”

“Yes..... You said you were kidnapped by bandits, is your name Cl..”
he was interupted by two incredibly stunning female knights standing
in front of a gate.

“Did you find this man out in the woods Claire? He does not seem
familiar, you told him about the curse already right?” one of them
said, as Cedric’s jaw dropped.

“Yes, yes she did! I need to speak with your Duke, we need to launch a
scouting party in the forest, the sword my Lord wanted me to sell to
you was taken by a lutin....” Cedric said before the woman infront
shook her head.

“Any sword you wish to sell could not possibly be more important than
the Duke’s men’s lives. I’m sorry merchant, please leave the cursed
area before you become like us, or Claire here, or perhaps a toddler.
Either way, it’s not something you want for you would never be able to
leave Metamor.” She spake.

“Alright then, I need to speak with Claire anyway, in private.” Cedric
said, greatly disheartened. He hoped to himself with all his might
that Hawl would have a change of heart and come back to return the
Transblade, but he knew there was as much chance of that as of the two
she-knights sprouting wings and singing a song in tribute to a muffin
someone had dropped in a lake.

“Oh?” Claire said to Cedric as the two walked away from the entrance.
“Well, what about?”

“Listen Claire, I used to live in the Northlands, but I left the day
my sister was kidnapped by bandits and taken further north. I always
thought she was dead, but.... I know there’s no chance in the world
that you could possibly be her, but a part of me would like to think
that it’s two big of a concidence that two girls named Claire could go
missing in the same part of town.” Cedric said, looking Claire over.

A tear was forming in Claire’s eye as she threw her pike down, and
hugged him, as hard as she possibly could. “Oh please Oh please, tell
me your name is...”

“Cedric Bariclauph...” he said as he looked down at Claire with a smile.

Claire began crying her eyes out and burying her head in his chest “Oh
brother, please! Don’t leave me! I can’t lose you again.... Oh by the
Gods, if this is a dream don’t wake me. PLEASE tell me you’re cursed,
please tell me you’re slowly turning into. I don’t know an aardvark or
something. So that we can be together again, just like before our
mommy and daddy died.” finding a little extra strength and practically
squeezing Cedric in half, but that was okay with him as he brushed
down her headfur and smiled. Being re-united at last, something he
never thought would happen till he died.

“Claire, it’s tempting, you are all I have ever wanted to find. But I
cannot, I am trying to become a knight and if I allowed myself to be
turned into a woman or a child, it would never happen. You’re a ferret
though, maybe you can give me the pike, help me track Hawl, get the
Transblade back, and you can write to me when the Duke uses it to beat
Nasoj and turn you back to norm...” Claire’s tears stopped and she
became angry, Cedric’s words were halted with a shove and a slap,
leaving claw marks in Cedric face, which bled a little.

“YOU WHAT? GIVE YOU MY HUSBAND’S PIKE, WHICH HAS BEEN IN HIS FAMILY
FOR GENERATIONS? JUST SO YOU CAN WALK OUT ON ME!” Claire yelled,
folding her arms. “I can’t believe it.... I hope you get lost in the
woods looking for your damn Tradesblade or whatever and become as
childish on the outside as you are on the inside. Little Brother!”

“You’re overreacting, does your husband know that you have his pike? I
don’t know what the laws and customs here, but weapons are intended
for men. Your nose is more well tuned, if you let me have the pike, I
could use it better. If you sniff for a rat or a skunk-tiger thing, we
can find Hawl, bring him before the Duke, and I can sell the
transblade, become a knight, and I’ll come back up to visit you, maybe
show you around my new hometown?” Cedric tried calming Claire, but
this only made it worse.

“Visit me? So you are just using me, your ONLY LIVING RELATIVE so you
can leave again, I think I deserve my own brother. I learned to use
the pike to get revenge on those foul things for keeping you from me.
Before the curse I was planning to go back to our home and look for
you, but then I got all fluffy and people down south aren’t exactly
open minded! I don’t mind being a ferret, I actually kind of enjoy it,
but I do mind being kept from the ones I love! I deserve you Cedric,
please don’t lock your only sister in a Keep.” Claire pleaded

“Claire, you’re being selfish and unreasonable, you and your husband
can come live with me in my new hometown when I become a knight and
we’ll be together forever! Just help me find the Transblade, and when
this is done, you and him can come with me, and you will apologize for
taking his pike.” Cedric pleaded, half ordering.

“I’M BEING SELFISH AND UNREASONABLE!?! Well isn’t that just the pot
calling the kettle black? You don’t seem to realize that I’d be burned
to a stake for being a “demon” or “devil”. Plus you’re actually
considering leaving me here, just so you can get a fancy title and
laugh about your ferret sister, just another freak in Metamor!” Claire
screamed “Bye Cedric, I don’t want you to turn into a child. But I
don’t want to see you again, just leave and never come back. I know
you wouldn’t anyway.”

“Claire I’m begging you.” Cedric stated, his voice sounding stressed
“Look Lord Aerolon said that if I became cursed he’d let me live in
Cornflower, the same would apply to you. Besides, it was his best
friend’s last request that I sell the sword to Metamor.”

Claire looked down at the ground and scratched her arm. “Aerolon?
Cornflower?..... Grandpa.... Alright Cedric you when, my dad would be
devastated if he found out I didn’t help out his father when I had the
chance. Alright Cedric, I’ll help you....”

Cedric smiled “I’d stay if I could.. but wait...” something clicked
about her words. “Lord Aerolon is your..... grandfather?”

“Yeah Dad say he hasn’t spoke to him in years, it probably has
something to do with him being a woman now.... He doesn’t like to talk
about it.” Claire picked up her Pike “Look Cedric.. I...” she shook
her head, he was still willing to abandon her for a title, but then
again, this was her only brother. “Nevermind I still need time to
think” and beckoned Cedric to follow her.

Cedric and Claire walked back into the forest, but they didn’t get too
far before Claire stopped for a second. “Okay yeah I definitely smell
a bunch of animals, and a lutin, definitely alone” she sniffed the
air. “Wolf, Skunk, Tiger, Rat, Lutin, and some sort of lizard. I’m
going to hone in on it. Take my pike, not because I believe in your
sexist policies.” she sounded very condescending near the end there.
“But because I can’t hold it in my other form.”

Cedric took the pike and looked confusedly at Claire. “Other form?”

Claire was in the middle of shrinking and becoming more feral in
appearance. “Yes, it will be easier for me to track, keep the lutins
off of me if we run into them. When I’m fully a ferret I won’t be able
to talk, but I can still understand you. If you need to speak to me,
just say so.” she said before a small feral ferret poked out of a pile
of her clothes on the forest grounds and ran forward, Cedric followed
behind.

Meanwhile, around the ruined cart where Cedric and Hawl were bound the
black hooded Regorez  could be seen groveling before two men, one
dressed like a noble and the other of a dark complexion, shorter than
the noble, and dressed in a beige garb, he had the clothes of a
commoner but the demeanor of a monster. He gave Regorez a mean gaze
that the man fearing for his life tried desperately not to look at.

The man dressed like a noble kicked dirt in Regorez’s face. “Look I’m
normally a very calm person, but. You know we needed a shape shifter
unspoiled, and you brought him to Metamor Keep. Do you even think
Regorez? Did it not for one second occour to you that he could be
anyone or anything. This thrice cursed land is the Hide and Seek
Capital of the world.”

“Well look we’ve been tracking Hawl for sometime, he doesn’t know
anything about blending in, just find the weirdo and ya got him.”
Regorez re-assured.

The noble buried his face in palm and breathed heavily. “Regorez,
Regorez, Regorez. I’d expect this level of incompetence and stupidity
from Hawl. But you? This is unfathomable.” the nobleman walked back
and forth, pacing as he thought. “Well you’re just going to have to
find Hawl.”

“You got the Transblade, that’s all you need right Prince Malakai?”
Regorez asked, trying to find some way to remedy the situation and
avoid punishment.

“This hunk of metal? It’s worth a few scraps of silver at best.”
Malakai threw the sword of Cedric blade first into the ground where it
stuck much like the sword in the stone from some legends. “We need the
father and the son for our little, party, we have neither.” Malakai
responded as he began humming to himself. “And with the curse, the son
may become damaged goods like his father.”

“He could be anywhere though.” Regorez pleaded “Please ya gotta let me
go, this place is cursed.”

“Yes” Malakai hummed to himself some more, as he closed his eye in a
brief meditation. “But that’s not my problem, besides you’ve only been
here a few minutes. It takes the curse a week, plenty of time to
remedy your mistake. I cannot believe you actually drove all the way
out here, and in the most conspicuous garb imaginable. My wrath upon
you shall be great”

“Oh please your highness, you’ve got spare me. Give me some test to
prove I’m not a failure.” Regorez begged.

“As you wish.” Malakai smiled as his humming stopped and with a sudden
motion with his palm held out and exclaimed “i' umartempla amin yamen'
lle tenna' i' nessa wanwa”

Regorez saw a bright flash, and suddenly all colors trailed before
him. In his mind’s eye he could see the glowing shackles placed upon
him, when he came to he looked about and to him it appeared as though
the province was sealed in a glass dome-like structure, he ran a few
feet until he saw the edge. He banged on it for awhile and started
looking very worried. then confused as Malakai and his assistant
passed through it like it wasn’t there. “Impossible! How did you...
I’m dreaming. You did not just summon a shroud of glass and then pass
through it.”

“Quite possible I’m afraid. The curse is an interesting piece of work,
were it not in effect this spell would not be doable. Leave with Hawl,
I’ve got dues to pay. If I find him first, I’ll lower the shields.”
Malakai The Noble walked towards the Castle in the distance. “Stay out
of sight, the shield plays into my gambit. The dungeon will be a good
place to look for him.”

“Follow to the Keep and no further, remember I don’t know you and you
don’t know me.” Malaki pleaded “and modify your garb. You’re
incognito, so don’t look like it.”

Regorez tugged on his robes which immediately took the appearance of
simple commoner’s clothes. He had thought about disguising as a
soldier, but he just did not believe he’d have the curves or youth for
it.

Malakai did something similar those his nobleman’s garb was now a
pretty dress, very lovely, a red one with a short pink skirt, the
assistant, Zhyx, following his master’s cue had turned his robes into
a purple velvet dress with a long green skirt. Regorez laughed at the
two crossdressing men. “Do you realize how ridiculous those look on
you?”

Zhyx shot Regorez a cold look as Malakai smiled. “To you maybe, but to
the Metamorians I’m just another innocent woman afflicted with Cursed
Maleness, just like any other woman with Suspria’s Spell upon them...
Besides, in a week, I may have the figure for it.”

As they approached the gates, they noticed a couple, a male human and
a female ferret, go into the woods. Regorez recognized the man as
Cedric and had a panicked look to his face. No, he wouldn’t make
things worse for himself. Just keep his mouth shut, and Malakai might
not be as lenient as he was, afterall. If the Curse of Metamor was the
absolute worst his prince was going to do. Than he was going to count
his blessings, in the Cult Of The Flesh, there were far worse things
to become than an animal. “So you’re... going to take it then?”

“Yes! Me and Zyhx both! We’re Prisiroe, a little change is nothing to
be afraid of. Besides it’ll do wonders for my studies.”

“Yeah, but into a woman?” Regorez said, looking uncomfortable.

“Please, I live in a cave with a bunch of psychopaths. Why should I
even care? I could be a toddler and it’d still be great for my
research..”  Malakai assured.

“Good point....” Regorez said as he reflected on things, he wasn’t all
the way in with the Cult Of the Flesh or Flesinoir as they were called
amongst themselves. Really he was just a fetch guy, an average joe who
knew too much and found himself in the way of indentured servitude
disguised as membership. He knew little of the spells and almost none
of the philosophies. Driven primarily by fear, well fear and a good
number of
Human brother and ferret sister ran through forests, the lutin corpses
from earlier were bypassed, none were in the area, these likely made
good warnings for the others. Lutins were blood thirsty, but not as
stupid as several Keepers took them for, they knew to stay out of a
place where it was more likely than not that they’d die at the hands
of a powerful warrior or mage. Cedric kept his eye on the ferret, and
kept telling himself that this was indeed his sister. The half-human
he could almost grasp, that didn’t matter as long as she was Claire
and of sound mind, but this ferret? No matter how you look at her,
this was a beast, an animal, a thing crawling on all furs driven by
pure instinct, and yet. This was his flesh and blood sister. Cedric
got the feeling that by this day was over, he’d see more than he’d
ever in just one day than he had in his entire life. He had so many
questions for Claire, what of this insane lord, did he still rule? How
did it feel to be the way she was now? Were her second pair of parents
treating her right? Why did the son of Lord Aerolon hide from his
father for so long? These and others he wanted desperately to ask, but
now was the time nor place, especially since in her current state
there was no way for Claire to answer.

Eventually the two came across an empty campfire, Cedric was curious
as his animal sister came to a halt and held up a paw signalling stop.
She sniffed in the air for a bit and shook her head, growing and
becoming more human in size and shape, forcing Cedric to cover his
eyes. “Claire you’re naked! Can’t you go behind a tree to do that?”

Claire laughed and turned to face her brother “Furcoat, I’m never
naked.....” she appeared to be right, after taking another look Cedric
noticed that Claire’s gray fur covered most of her naughty bits, save
for her rump, which was likely why she turned around. “There are more
shape forming clothes.... but I admit I wasn’t wearing any today.”

“So you always expose yourself? Oh sister... I think this place is bad
for your head.” Cedric said sounding heavy hearted. “Okay.... well....
now what”

“Oh come off it Cedric. What kind of harlot do you take me for? I just
didn’t think I’d change today that’s all. Now listen, I took human
form...” she said sounding anxious.

“Human? But I see a ferret still. Is there something I’m missing.”
Cedric said, closing his eyes, not wishing to see a naked sibling. “Or
are you still.....”

“Close enough to human, look the point brother dearest is that whoever
I’m smelling should be up against that tree, but there’s no one
there.” Claire said walking up to a nearby tree. “Yeah, all my senses
tell me they should be right here.” she rubbed against its bark, she
felt something odd, but she was also pushed back as a large lizard
like man wearing leggings, a solid gold ring upon his finger, but no
pants, and a vest that exposed his bare chest to the elements, had
suddenly materialized in front of her.

Cedric instinctively reached for a blade upon remembering he didn’t
have one, he rushed at the creature who was already climbing up the
tree. The creature looked toward the nude Claire with a perverse smile
“Nice ones mam!” he called out to Claire who covered herself with her
arms and glared at the bipedal reptile, upon closer inspection he
appeared to be some kind of chameleon.

The human began to angrily climb after the chameleon, which an annoyed
Claire did effortlessly and using her righteous ferret fist she
knocked the lizard out of the tree onto his back. “Okay, I didn’t
think this through as well as I ha.... eeep.” the chameleon noticed
there was a pike pointed at him by a very angry man. “Cedric! Buddy
it’s me Hawl! I saved you from the poison remember!?”

“That’s the reason you’re still alive.” Cedric warned “On your feet,
and don’t think about re-forming yourself to get out of this. I will
pierce your flesh and have your heart impaled and this pike, it’s
stolen, so I have a good mind to pour the blood of a thief to restore
its honor.”

“It’s not stolen...” Claire commented

Hawl thought about assuming a form with skin so thick the spear-like
weapon could not pierce him, large and powerful, like a dragon. Then
realized nothing was stopping him, so he tried ordering his body to
sprout wings, but his flesh refused to obey, he tried to force it, but
it only gave him a headache. He simply had used his ability too many
times, he should have realized from how tired he felt, he had been up
against the tree for a quick power nap.

“Where is the transblade young trouble maker?” Cedric demanded with a
harsh and serious tone as he grabbed the chameleon tightly by the
wrist.

“I don’t remember.” Hawl responded, a lie, Cedric could tell by the
way Hawl’s eyes shifted to the right as he said it, as such the unable
shape changer received a mighty blow to the stomach, causing him to
wince in tremendous agony, nearly tearing up from the force. Perhaps
the human put too much strength as he nearly ruptured the poor
reptilian’s stomach. Cedric needed Claire’s help to get Hawl to his
feet.

“Oh don’t worry I’m sure the Dungeons of Metamor Keep can help you
remember.” Cedric said, jabbing Hawl a bit with the bussiness end of
his sister’s pike. “You’re not going to escape me this time or the
next time I catch you, I’m going to make sure you require a medic to
mend your broken back in addition to a sentence.”

Hawl was quite worried and understandably so, as the big blond wall of
muscle was painfully jabbing him with a very sharp stick, he was not
sure which jab was going to be the one where Cedric lost control and
broke the skin and so was quick to comply as they walked towards the
entrance of the forest of they used to track Hawl. Claire resumed her
ferret form and climbed up a tree, from where she jumped down and
hitched a ride on her older brother’s shoulders. This action uneased
him though he was too focused on Hawl to let it do so for long. A
smile was actually brought to his face by this as he began to ponder
the adorableness of having a sister that was also a ferret.

Hawl looked back and decided to make some pleasant conversation. It
was pure luck, sometimes talking won people over, and others, it just
made things worse. Hawl knew how to guide people, and at the same time
he also knew how to pick the wrong things to say. “Huh, you know, it’d
be very easy to take that rat of yours and pretend she’s trained.
Maybe put on show, make some copper. Know what I mean? It’s money for
nothing, let’s go try it out!”

Cedric put on an angered scowl and smacked the brownish lizard over
the head with the business end of the pike. “This is my sister we’re
talking about!”

Claire smiled, and although no one was looking it was one of the most
cherished smiles for as goofy and forced as it appeared to be. The
mind behind the smile had forth the images from her childhood, where
she dreamed of seeing her brother again. A Valiant Knight on a horse
who had risked life and limb to find her again and fulfill the vow he
made to their birth mother to always protect her. Though he was
accusing her of acting out of turn, it was simply from being unaware
of the customs of this land. Afterall, only Metamor was anything like
Metamor. It was a small act of compassion, but enough to quell her
anger.

Cedric grabbed Hawl’s arms as he saw a set of clothes for a young
woman, knowing these to belong to his sister. Cedric pushed Hawl
towards a nearby tree and used his large body to block any view past
him Hawl might try to gaze at.

“What’s the big idea, blondie?” Hawl said, somewhat in jest. “Are you
trying to kiss me?”

“Claire... please get dressed, and then I’ll...” Cedric thought about
his next few words carefully, and thought that if he wanted to salvage
any relationship with his sister he’d say a few words he really didn’t
want to say. “Give you the pike back.....”

Hawl struggled to watch Claire get dressed with some excitement, he’d
never seen a furry babe before, he’d been one true, but it was
different when the view was the form of another and not his own. His
eagerness to see Cedric’s altered beast of a sister in her, most
natural state, was ended when Cedric nearly broke his nose, or seeming
lack of one, with a well placed punch square in the middle of his
reptilian face.

“GAAAHHH... What the hell!” Hawl cried out as he grabbed his face as
his cold red blood trickled down his face.

Eventually the trio found themselves at the gate to Metamor,
returning. “Lady Knights, it may please you to note that I have found
both the Transblade and the fugitive who took it from us. Now may we
see the Duke?”

“First off the proper title for my rank and status is Dame, not Lady,
that would be as if I called you a Lord if you were a knight.” The
more serious of the two knights stated, her hair was the color of the
snow that in Metamor was still beginning to melt, in wonderfully sharp
contrast to the more friendly and far less professional attitude to
her black haired companion.

Cedric nodded “I’m sorry Dame Knight, I’m not exactly used to military
officials of your, persuasion .”

The other of the two amazonian knights, this one with black hair,
laughed “Yeah, we get that a lot. I think the only thing we hear more
often is. “What’s it like?” then just stare awkwardly and run up the
curves of an imaginary maiden. It’s a drinking game at this point!”

Hawl had his interest piqued. Though he had used his powers to become
one multiple times, he never had the perspective from another on this,
and he was certain that the other male in the group was curious.
Though most of all it was a good distraction from him to give some
additional time to think and recharge his powers. “So, what IS it
like?”

Cedric gave him a look and stated the facts as he knew them. “You’ve
been a woman before. I’ve seen it....”

Hawl shrugged “Yeah, but it’s always nice to get a second opinion.
Different strokes for different folks ya know.”

The more chipper of the two knights laughed, grabbing her head as she
shook it. Quickly regaining her posture after receiving a stern look
from the other knight. “Sorry Mam, it’s just we’ve heard that question
three time today! And two from people who’ve been women before. I
think it’s a record!”

Cedric and Hawl exchanged looks upon hearing this. “Describe them!”
they said simultaneously. Claire was thrown off by this.

The bubbly raven haired Knight scratched her lack of a beard, likely a
force of habit that never quite managed to die down. “Well they looked
like Southlanders, one was a mysterious looking guy dressed in linens,
and two former maidens of Metamor. Said they had lost touch with their
roots, well one did, the other was very quiet.”

“As for the Duke, well, Ordinarily you’d have to make an appointment
and then wait in an inn for a summons. “ The more serious of the two
Knights suddenly spoke up, Cedric was about to raise an objection when
she added on. “Even with our enemies to the North in decline since
Calephas’ death, he has no shortage of work and is usually very busy.
But please take comfort in the knowledge that he always makes it a
point to get to any outsider business before the curse claims them.
Daughters becoming Sons is not a good way to raise our reputation with
the rest of the midlands.” The She-Knight said, Cedric looked at Hawl
and then looked down, he was about to open his mouth to talk when the
woman continued speaking. “However! Since you have a prisoner on you,
he will need to be sentenced. Sooner rather than later. My associate
shall send for Dame Seranima and she will escort you to the Duke’s
Chambers so that this criminal may be properly sentenced.”

The more friendly of the knights, saluted in acknowledgement of the
order and was off to fetch her sister in arms.

They waited around, Cedric keeping a stern eye on Hawl, Claire ready
to strike with her pike the second he thought about taking a hike.
Cedric had felt like asking the guards, who clearly knew Claire seeing
as they had hailed her as such earlier, if the pike was a usual thing.
He was certain it was, but a part of him still wanted to hear that it
wasn’t. Maybe if he stuck around long enough to meet the husband, but
to ask now when Claire was just starting to trust him again would seem
foolish. He’d rather his sister take a man’s profession, than to
despise her older brother who had done his best to protect her when
they were children. To think that she would still be human if he was
successful, if he was a philosopher he would take this moment to
ponder how every action or inaction, failed or otherwise can have
permanent and unthinkable consequences.

“So Claire, do you like it here in Metamor?” Cedric asked, trying to
strum up a conversation.

“It’s alright, it’s been different a lot different since Nasoj
attacked, especially for mom and dad, I mean, wow, that was a head
trip for awhile. We used to get more traders coming in before, they
still come by, but, they’re a little scared of the place now.” Claire
responded, breathing deeply as she tried to remember the last time she
actually saw one before remembering she saw some leave behind a few
guys when the plague struck. Content in her thought she continued
“Still, can’t complain, aways a guard on duty when you need one,
plenty of food, plenty to read thanks to our Writer’s Guild, plenty to
do thanks to suicidal lutins, it’s a peaceful life.”

Cedric looked at her oddly, he was having a very hard time grasping
that his sister was a pike wielding maniac.  “Right.... why do you
hunt lutins Claire? It’s not very womanly to kill people.”

“Those things aren’t people brother, they stole from us, and what they
took we could never replace.” Claire said coldly, her eyes drifting
downward, she looked very upset with her large frown, but smiled as
she took another look at Cedric and suddenly hugged him, much to his
confusion. He could become the Cedrina that Captain Redblood talked
about for the rest of his life because of the curse and he was certain
that he would still never understand the female mind.

The stern she-knight agreed “You weren’t here during Three Gates
Cedric, they killed everyone at the first gate, everyone knows that
infants can’t defend a nation, but no one should see it first hand.
The lutins are monsters! Taunting us with their curse immunity,
killing people, kidnapping, lutins never mate consensually and
sometimes they breed with humans....” Claire hugged her next, seeing a
single tear forming in her eye, all present understand what she had
been implying. Even Hawl felt sorry for her as he reflected back on
his attempts at rape himself, though he meant to do so under false
pretenses and not force, it was still wrong and he was ever so glad
that he had changed his mind at the last second every time.

The chipper knight returned with another she-knight who was dressed
less masculine than either of the other two, her leg armor resembling
more a skirt and offered little in the way of protecting her long
thick gorgeous legs. She graciously curtsied towards the trio.
“Greetings travelers, I am Dame Seranima Eloniv, I assume the ferret
and chameleon fell to the curse and you as well, used to be a woman,
yes?

“We’re not royalty.” Cedric said “And that is the second time I have
been accused of being a woman. I try to be humble, but what exactly
about rippling muscle gives off this air of femininity?” Cedric
realized he should probably bow before the soldier even if she was
wearing a skirt. “Forgive my rudeness, but it is of great importance
that I see your Duke before your statements of my womanhood ring
true.”

“And I live here.... I’m Claire Flameheart, was Claire Aerelon during
Three Gates.” Claire corrected

“Oh that’s right you’re Itamar’s wife. I was at his wedding, how’s the
old bird doing these days?” Seranima asked

“Pretty good, gave me his pike and a feather of his for good luck, we
should get moving, we do have a criminal to be sentenced.” Claire
suggested, Sera nodding and gesturing that they move with her and with
that they were through the Gate.

Cedric and Hawl’s eyes lit up “Woah!” they both exclaimed in unison,
Claire and Sera smirked “Newbies.” they replied in unison.

Many had seen Claire before and called out to her. Claire waved back
shouting “Hi, Hello, How Ya doin’, Chin up Kag and say hi to Cheep for
me.”

“You know everyone? How? This place is huge!” Cedric asked in awe of
his sister’s popularity amongst the armed forces of Metamor Keep.

“Good thing it is too! You would not believe how often we get
newcomers, it’s almost like people WANT to get transformed!” Seranima
added.

“Eh well brother, I go on patrol all the time, I got picked for it
once, and then I just went out and volunteered after I found what a
great stress reliever it was to jab the pointy end of a large stick
into those, things. There’s also a few humans out there, I don’t like
killing them as much as I do lutins, so I usually try to let others
handle it.” Claire said.

“Good Lord!” Cedric cried out “You’ve killed your own species!?!
Former species I admit, but still!!” he didn’t exactly like the
de-humanization of lutins having ran mercenary raids with a few of
them and judging them to be alright people if not a tad barbaric.

“Yeah, it’s the law around here that every able bodied individual
regardless of who or what they are has to defend the Keep from bad
guys. I was picked for patrol duty, and I really liked it. They’ve
literally gotten everyone to do this, bakers, high priestesses, heck
even the old Writer’s Guild Headmaster, course it turned out he was a
Sondeckis could through solid stone, but honestly who saw that
coming!?” Claire informed. “They’ve wanted to officially join the
military, but I’ve turned them down, I prefer to be a freelancer
Ass-Whooper!”

Cedric shook his head, so it wasn’t Claire’s decision to become a
warrior after all, when he finished talking this over with the Duke,
someone was going to require a boot remover for their poor royal
stallion ass.

“So what are you folks here for? Besides the criminal.” Sera asked,
giving a glance to Cedric who seemed lost in thought and Claire who
was jabbing Hawl lightly with the pike. To make sure they were
following as closely as she believed they had been.

“My name is Hawl” The Chameleon corrected, standing still for a brief
second before Claire smacked him on the ass with the blunt end of the
pike.

“Move it scaley!” Claire insulted in a raised force, Hawl closed his
eyes not being one for loud noises.

“Besides Hawl” Sera added somewhat cheerfully.

“I am an ambassador from the Southland Town of Cornflower who wishes
to sell the Duke a weapon known as the Transblade” Cedric boasted “I
have heard that in the hands of a Keeper it can ease your troubles.”

“Transblade eh? Lemme guess it’s a blade, and it transforms?” Seranima
asked before adding bluntly “Neat, but as for “Easing Our Troubles”
you’ll forgive me if I have no confidence about that.”

“How did you know the power of the Transblade, Dame Seranima Eloniv?”
Cedric asked looking dumbfounded “Have you heard of it before?”

“Not really, and please, just call me Sera, it’s a lot easier on the
tongue.” Sera pleaded “It just seemed obvious, I mean, I’m a
transgender and it’s because I’ve been both sexes in my life. So I
figured a Transblade would have to be a blade that transforms.”

“Well aren’t ….aren’t... we smart?” Hawl asked, his fear evident too
much in his snide for it to be appreciated by anyway, them getting
much closer to the castle.

As they approached the Keep and guards of various genders, ages, and
species eyed the group, they knew immediately it was an uncursed
human, Cedric’s demeanor was far too convincing and his garb betrayed
any dormant feminine tendencies, causing everyone to be curious. Was
the new guy going to stay? How would he transform?

A kid no older than 3 looked up at the rhinoceros Kag, “I bet you a
silver he’ll be young like me! I bet I’ll have a new playmate! We’re
overdue for a new Age Regressee”

Kag shook his very large and gray head. “Naw, the curse has a sense of
humor, look at his manly strut, I wager a silver to say he’ll become a
woman.”

Sera suddenly looking determined, mainly because it was a good posture
to have amongst royalty. Speaking up in a triumphant voice towards the
ceiling, she made her requirement known. “Kyia! We need to see a
throne room.”

No sooner had she said this had they suddenly found themselves at the
end of a long hallways, much to the dumbfounding of Cedric and Hawl.
“Everytime!” Claire said, looking to the two men.

“What magic is this?” Cedric said, looking around the general area,
having sworn he had just stepped into the Keep and yet had somehow
found himself at the end of a long hallway.

“The land changes shape based on request and its own whim, why do you
think we call ourselves Metamor?” Seranima said in a bit of a
show-boaty tone. “Before the curse I mean....”

“I can see why Nasoj was so into this place... I’ve never heard of
such latent power.” Cedric exclaimed as he continued to look around,
seeing a table with a vase on it that he swears wasn’t there a second
ago. Not as impressive as a teleportation, but enough to keep him on
his toes.

The throne room's inside was large, luxurious, and full of the various
court members, all of them easy to spot out in a crowd. There was a
large lizard man, a she-hawk in enchanted robes, and a duo of a
porcupine woman who appeared to be made of rubber and a smiling red
panda chewing on a bag of candy discussing alchemy together. Though
the most important people in this room were of course Duke Thomas
Hassan The V, his crocodile aide Thallberg, and the Horse King’s
masculine dressed human daughter Princess Malisa.

Though everyone seemed busy, Duke Thomas himself was lounging about
whilst Malisa herself seemed lost in a book, not a very good one it
seemed as her eyes showed dull apathy. “Gee, it sure is boring around
here.....” she said, directed to her adopted equine father.

“Malisa my boy.” The Duke stated, raising a goblet of wine from his
throne, looking rather uncharacteristically apathetic himself. “This
peace is what all true warriors strive.”

Malisa read further in her book, humming as she looked through it, it
had been a spell book, but one that barely caught her attention,
before looking up the black stallion and stating “I just wonder what
Nasoj is up too.”

“I wonder what’s for dinner.” Duke Thomas asked, having a rare break
from the constant worries and troubles that seemed to befall the Keep.
Looking around the expansive throne room, admittedly feeling a tad
guilty about his lack of tasks. Surely there was something somewhere
he could do.

Malisa closed her book and smiled. “Wonderful, I’m so hungry, I could
eat a.....” however she found her smile and sentence were interrupted
by various gazes from the animal keepers standing around having
suddenly dropped their conversations and wishing her the best choice
in her words.

The former Prince Matthew looked around and without missing a beat
said. “A very large and fair amount of food.”, the animals afterward
returned to their business, and suddenly had it interrupted again by
the opening of the main door.

In walked the knight Seranima, who curtsied shortly after waking in.
”Someone from outside the cursed area has business he wishes to
discuss with you. He is an ambassador from the Southlands.”

Duke Thomas was taken aback, but regained himself quickly and nodded,
“The Southlands? That’s quite a distance to be seeing us. Send him
in.”

Seranima called them all in, Cedric bowed before the black stallion.
Though he resembled a beast more than a monarch, one must always pay
their respects to the King of a faraway land. Claire curtsied like
Sera had earlier, whilst Hawl just stood there thinking. “Duke Hassan,
my name is Cedric Bariclapuh and I have traveled a great distance and
nearly died from poison in order to present you with Hawl The thief
who stole from me and attacked me and my sister the cursed ferret
Claire, in addition to offering a partnership between our people.”

Tom scratched his chinfur and spoke with an elegant and regal voice,
trying to put his best hoof forward. “Claire is your sister? You’d be
honored to know that she has fought very valiantly for the Keep. I’d
be proud to have such a good protector for our land for a sister.”

Cedric seemed uncomfortable, “I wanted to talk to you about that, but
that can wait, I wish to present you with a criminal and a legendary
sword your people can use known as the Transblade. All we ask is that
you help pay the loans that our village of Cornflower owes to the town
Mugal.”

The Duke’s interest was piqued. “Transblade? I’ve never heard of such
a thing, I’ll have to ask some of our Southland experts about it, but
consider my interest piqued nonetheless.”

Claire spoke up, looking somewhat concerned “Well your majesty, we
don’t actually HAVE the Transblade. Hawl here” she gestured towards
the chameleon. “took it and isn’t telling us where he hid it.”

Duke Thomas gave Hawl a stern look. “Is this true?”

“You don’t understand Duke, you’re very handsome by the way, always
loved horses. Worked on a stable myself once. Kind of wish I was one
myself.” Hawl pleaded as he change his form into a similar one to the
one held by the Duke.

Everyone jumped back, not since Jon had they see a Keeper change
animal forms. Jessica The Hawk rubbed under her beak and said a single
word. “Curious....”

“Spare his majesty the flattery and answer his question!” Thallberg
the Alligator Steward coerced.

“No! I was just sight seeing when this crazy muscle bond idiot and the
ferret jumped me. I think your kingdom owes me an apology! I don’t
even know about a transblade is!” Hawl fibbed, gaining a few dirty
looks from people who obviously did not believe him.

Thomas shook his head no in sheer disbelief “Claire is a trusted
warrior of Metamor, I don’t believe that she’d just outright lie.
Though it is your word against hers, is there any proof of Hawl’s
misdeeds?”

Cedric spoke up “How about the fact that me and Hawl traveled here and
only now have I seen that golden ring he’s wearing. Anyone whose body
has been altered from their original shape can turn the Transblade
into anything! I’ve seen it.”

Hawl stepped away from Cedric in a panic. “My father gave me this
ring! How dare you insult my family heirloom!” he found him stepping
away from everyone who could take the ring from him. He started to
run, but he was grabbed by the red panda who was next to Pascal.

“Let go of me, you I have powers you couldn’t understand you furry
little bastard!” Hawl warned, the red panda shook his head and pulled
him over to Duke Thomas, who demanded he remove the ring. To which
Hawl responded “But it’s a family heirloom! Nothing magical about it!
This is an outrage.”

The Duke pointed out something that seemed obvious to anyone paying
attention. “If it’s really a mundane ring, then I won’t be able to
change its form.” he said as he held out his hoof.

Knowing that he just got himself in a corner, Hawl tried a desperation
maneuver. Even he knew how stupid the words about to come out of his
mouth were. “Umm... mwhaha! I am the Evil Overlord Nasoj come to
conquer Metamor Keep, all shall bow before me! I stole the Transblade
as only it could defeat me, you have no hope Keepers!” immediately
these words were regretted as everyone gasped and had their eyes grow
wide, Sera had the most reation as she grabbed Claire’s pike and
pointed it at Hawl’s neck.

“Why does everyone want to take my pike!?!” Claire pouted.
Sera looked upon Hawl angrily and gave the most angry looking smile
she could muster. “No wonder you can shapeshift like that! You can
control the curse! Well, the time for tomfoolery is over now you
monster! You shall die here where I was reborn!”

“Wait wait! I am the great and undefeatable Nasoj, so I’m going to....
cure the curse!” Hawl said, realizing it was probably a better idea to
be considered a thief. “The one time someone believes my lie....”

Thinking quickly The Red Panda grabbed Seranima and held her back.
“Sera stop! What happened at three gates was tragic, but we don’t know
if he’s the real Nasoj!”

Thallberg scowled, giving the evil eye to Hawl “That doesn’t matter!
If he’s dumb enough to pretend to be Nasoj in front of the Duke, he’s
too dumb to live anyway!”

“Let go of me Xhyz! Thallberg’s right he needs to pay!” Sera argued,
trying to fight his way out of Xhyz, The Red Panda’s grasp. Cedric,
Claire, and the others just watched, not sure what to do, completely
lost at this turn of events.

Xhyz and Sera fought one another for awhile, no one sure what to do,
when suddenly Cedric decided to speak up before some one got hurt.
“He’s not Nasoj! He’s just an idiot, trust me, I’ve traveled with him
all the way up here.”

Thomas and Thallberg looked at each other, confused about what to do,
true the real Nasoj wouldn’t be dumb enough to walk in here unarmed
and without an army, but at the same time, they couldn’t take a risk
that this might be the real deal. He got off the throne announced
“Look this is all really confusing, keep Nasoj here in the throne
room, me and Thallberg need to talk about this in private.” and went
into a different room entirely.

Meanwhile Sera calmed down, and Xhyz thought it wise to let go off
her, which turned out to be a partial mistake as Sera threw down the
pike and jumped on Hawl and began yelling in his face whilst punching
into the stallion in disguise over and over with gauntlet clad hands.
“DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU DID TO HIM!?! All the guilt you put me
through!” she cried out as Cedric and Xhyz pulled the enraged Dame
Knight off of the shapeshifter.

After a few minutes the Duke and his aide returned to the throne room
to see Sera fighting with Xhyz and Cedric whilst Claire removed the
Transblade Ring from a bloodied up Hawl who laid on the floor,
everyone looking, people in the crowd murmuring, pondering whether or
not Hawl and Nasoj were the same person and what the Duke should do,
some voted execution, some voted that they ignore the Nasoj bit
entirely.

“Can we leave you people alone for a minute? Stand down and stop your
bickering.” Thallberg barked as the Duke walked in behind him.

“What Thallberg means is that we’ve decided that we will surrender to
Nasoj, if he can revert a Keeper back to one of our normal states!”
Thomas announced.

Hawl smiled “Smart horse! Alright to prove that I’m merciful I shall
cure Dame Seranima!” he put on a dramatic pose with his hand on his
hips as he cast his hand out, focusing his energy. He did possess the
power to change others, but it wasn’t very effective nor did he use it
very often, but his own Kingdom? Hot damn, he’d have to try. The crowd
was now at the edge of disbelief, the curse lifted? Nasoj ruling the
Keep? It was impossible!

One of the Keepers, a kid, in the room cried out “No! We need to kill
him now! We’re all doomed if he can do this, What is the Duke
thinking?!”

The Horse King put up a hoof as if to silence the child. “Trust me on this!”

Seranima spoke up in refusal. “Get another test subject! I’d really
rather that I stayed a wom.........” Hawl ignored her entirely and put
his magic to work and Sera began to feel tingly, all over.

Sera began to shiver and then suddenly made a grab for her stomach
which she felt beginning to turn. Very rapidly, she became quite sick,
the world spinning all around her until suddenly she puked out her
guts for a few minutes. Many had been calling to get her some help,
Duke Thomas had already ordered Xhyz to find a medic. “Oh for Eli’s
sake... someone help me....” she cried out before throwing up one more
time. After a good puking session, she looked back up, having a thick
full beard which she scratched curiously, only to have it fall off
when she tried.

“Are you okay?” Pascal the Rubber Porcupine asked of Dame Seranima.
“That looked nasty, but I think I have just the brew to fix you
up..... If you don’t mind having a frog tongue for awhile...”

Sera shook her head no “Thanks Pascal, but no thanks I think I just
need to lay down for awhile. I’m already feeling a little better
actually, thanks though. If anyone needs me I’ll be in my room.” as
she left the throne room, holding onto her stomach.

Thomas sat back down on his throne. “Do try to feel better.” he said
to Sera before turning and calling out to Hawl. “Well, it Looks like
you’re not really Nasoj after all.

Thallberg walked right up to Hawl and angrily looked him in the eyes.
“Well that’s one charge you got off of.”

Cedric rubbed his head, not sure what all had just transpired.

“He is a thief though!” Claire said as she swung the ring like a
sword, causing it to change into that shape instantly into a blade and
then handed it to her Duke to have a look.

“Thank you Claire. Cedric, we have never heard of the Transblade nor
have we had much luck with Southland Magic in the past. So if you want
any negotiations to take place we must ask that you allow us to have
our mages study this first.” Thomas offered. “I realize this isn’t
ideal, but that’s the best I can do.”

Cedric pondered this for a second, he didn’t want to risk a curse, but
at the same time he was promised living quarters in Cornflower even if
he was altered, and knew in his heart that he could not fail his quest
out of fear of one measly curse. After much thinking he finally
accepted the Duke’s terms. “I don’t have any other choice your
majesty. I’ve come too let the curse scare me from this much needed
union.” he finally answered.

“Don’t worry, we’ll try to have the studies done before the curse can
claim you. I doubt your hometown would be pleased if we allowed their
ambassador to return younger than he left.” Thomas assured.

Cedric bowed one more time before he left, somewhat troubled by his
want to study the blade, though he understand why, they were cursed
once before they wouldn’t want to risk another one, plus if the Duke’s
men could really work that fast then he would have nothing to worry
about.

“Well I’m not Nasoj, so I’ll be going now.” Hawl said as he proceeded
to try and leave with Cedric, only for two gender morphs to point
blades at him, taking orders from a hoof gesture the Duke made.

Thomas called out to Hawl and his knights. “Maybe not, but you are
still a thief, a liar, and have attacked an ambassador. We only have
one place in Metamor for people like that. Take him to the dungeon.”

“For how long? Cause I’m not actually cursed....” Hawl asked a little
scared, he had never actually been in jail before, nor did he know
what the curse would do to a shapeshifter.

“I wouldn’t count on being out in time for the Summmer Festival.”
Thomas said ominously as Hawl was dragged kicking and screaming by two
of the Amazonian Knights.

Cedric and Claire walked outside together, unsure what to make of
Hawl’s trial. “Well, that was something...” Claire said, somewhat
dizzy from the whirlwind of the throne room.

“Well, that takes care of Hawl I hope.” Cedric said, also unsure what
to make of things. “He’s not Nasoj, but still, I hope the Duke does
something to help him reform. He didn’t strike me as evil, just very
daft and lacking in good judgment.”

Claire smiled “Well, we’ve got a little bit of catching up to do and
the couple who adopted me have had a spare room forever.” she said,
before hugging her brother, glad to have calmer moments to spend with
him.

“Thanks for the offer, but remember, I’m only staying until a deal is
struck, I have no interest in being cursed. I’ll try to visit though.”
Cedric warned. “I’m sorry for the drama earlier before we were chasing
Hawl, I’m just amazed you’re alive.”

Claire shook her head yes “After that incident with the bandits, I was
worried I’d never see you again. I’m just grateful for one more day.
My new mom and dad live in Lorland, but that’s part of Metamor and not
too far from here if you’d like to meet htem”

“I would love to meet the mother and father who cared for you after I
failed.” Cedric said, for once in his life, knighthood didn’t seem
that important to him. Though they had only one day to spend together,
Cedric knew he was going to make, the most of it.

The two siblings marched towards Lorland, He didn’t think it possible,
but Cedric had a family again. A Cursed Animal Family, and only for a
day, but a family nonetheless.

To Be Continued!