[Mkguild] June 6th

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Thu Jun 6 17:32:55 UTC 2013

Today is June 6th, The anniversary of the D Day landings in 1944. Perhaps we
can all have a moment of silence to remember the TRUE heroes.

I write this in memory of all those who paid the ultimate price,

Chris

The Lurking Fox

Afterward
-----------------

   It seems strange to sit here and write these words. The visit to the
cemetery went well. It seemed so peaceful, a fitting place for them to rest.
It took all of us to find the right stone. There were so many, too many.
Jessica found it, laughing and running among the crosses reading name. She
thought it was a game. I think John would have liked that. He always loved
kids. Too bad he didn't live to see his grandchildren. His daughter Janet
brought a huge bouquet of flowers and spent a long time fussing about their
placement. Still, after that she stood quietly by the grave for a long time.
Then she presented her own granddaughter to him. "I want you to meet your
great grand child, Sarah Ann," she said.

   Lord but Sarah has John's eyes, and Janet has his voice. Every time she
speaks I hear him and his face comes back to me, as young and alive as ever.
That's how I see him; laughing and joking. I remember how we used to laugh,
and drink and party together, and I remember how he died.  At least it was
quick, painless.

   The faces of all those I left behind come back to me, John, Willie,
Andrew, fat corporal Hernandez. To my children they're nothing but names
carved on stone, but to me they're faces, young faces that will never grow
old. I remember seeing Hernandez screaming with his legs blown off, I see
Andrews body scattered all over the ground, and I remember the shriek of the
shell that killed John. I see their faces again and I wonder if their deaths
were worth it. I cried at their graves and I'm crying now as I write this.
Was it worth it?

   Suddenly I feel the touch of a small hand on my arm. It's Jessica come to
see why Grandpa was crying. She hugs me and gives me the picture she drew to
cheer me up. It's of the flowers at John's grave.

   Were their deaths worth it? Yes. I see my giggling granddaughter wiggling
in my lap and smile. John always loved kids.

   End