[Mkguild] Regarding "Covenants"

Hallan Mirayas hallanmirayas at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:12:36 UTC 2013

Addendum: Please note that I am not calling the Tened stupid.  I'm saying that, were this the case, I could easily see the daedra doing so.
From: hallanmirayas at hotmail.com
To: mkguild at lists.integral.org
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:50:16 -0500
Subject: [Mkguild] Regarding "Covenants"

I've given this story a lot of thought, and I'll be honest... I don't like what it introduces.

Setting aside the potential violation of established canon regarding Follower immunity to daedra magic, the sidelining of the Yehudim (the equivalents of the Jews), the implication that not even one Tened buckled under the weight of despair and extinction, and the questionable historical accuracy of an entire ancient world worshipping Eli before the aedra/daedra arrived, I have two big objections.

First and largest, since when does Eli say 'believe in me and follow me, and I will do absolutely nothing'?

"I went before Eli and begged Him to set things right.  He refused,
saying that to restore health to my people would deprive their choice
and faith of meaning.  'What good does it do them to make hard
choices if they know that there is no real risk?'

So choice means slow, painful extinction of an entire race down to the last man, woman and child?  That's not 'risk', that's certainty.  Why aren’t the Tened a byword for absolute
stupidity?  The aedra and daedra have
already shown they are quite good at propaganda.  “We wanted
to help them, but they’d rather follow their own death god.  Eli, if he even exists, wouldn’t lift a
finger for them, even when they begged him.
What an asshole.”  Imagine if, in the Bible, the ten thousand prophets of Ba'al had called down fire from heaven at Mt. Carmel, and when Elijah asked God for fire, he'd said, 'Nope.  You chose to believe in me, but I'm not going to do anything to rescue you.  Even if you are the most godly person on the planet.'

Lastly, do you really want to go there?

"In memory of the Tened, who wouldst not be parted from
the Truth, even to preserve their lives, I Who Am make this
everlasting covenant with the Peoples of Scale and Feather.  For so
long as thou hast no dealings with those who wouldst name themselves
gods in defiance of the Most High, I shall shield thee from their
direct agency."

Do you really want to make an entire race immune
to the aedra/daedra, not because of faith, but just because of random chance of
birth or curse?