[Mkguild] Family part 1

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Mon Oct 7 08:14:33 UTC 2013

This story has been a long time in writing! It takes place at the same time
as the story Twilight Before the Dawn. It was supposed to be a part of it
but it took me forever to finish it. It digs into his family and his recent
past and his more distant past.

   Here is the link to the Twilight story
http://metamorkeep.com/story/The_Twilight_Before_the_Dawn1.php

  I hope you enjoy it!

   Chris
   The Lurking Fox

Family
by Christian Okane

   The trip from Metamor to Marigund had been long but in many ways it
wasn't long enough. It gave Misha too much time to think about his family
and what lay ahead. The only member of his family he had talked to in five
years had been his sister Elizabeth. He wondered how would his family react?
Time and distance can strain and break up a family. Worse still were
unresolved differences. Why hadn't they contacted Misha? They knew where he
was. Why hadn't HE contacted them? A thousand different excuses ran through
his mind. Once they had seemed important but now they felt trivial.

****************

   The grounds of the Marigund mages guild hadn't changed in the years since
he had last been there. He found himself looking around at everything as he
and Caroline walked.

   "Misha!" Someone called out. Misha and Caroline turned to see a small
group of people heading towards them.

   In the center of the group was a tall woman whose long, brown hair fell
loosely to her shoulders. The red dress she was wearing had white and gold
flowers all over it.

Walking beside Elizabeth was man dressed in a tunic and pants that matched
his wife's dress in color but without the flowers. He was some six feet tall
and towered over the crowd.

   Misha brightened immediately as his tail wagged happily. "Liz! Verner!"

   Misha hugged Elizabeth and his brother in law.

   "Welcome home!" Verner said sincerely and hugged him.

   Thank you!" Misha said softly. "It's good to be here." He pointed to
Caroline. "And this is Caroline, my beloved."

   The man bowed to Caroline. "It's a pleasure to meet you!"

   Elizabeth wrapped her arms around Caroline and hugged her tightly. "Hello
and welcome! I'm sorry we missed your arrival."

   "No problem," Misha answered. "We arrived sooner than expected. And I'm
glad you got my message."

   Verner pointed to the two young women standing with them. "And these are
Heather and Brianna, our daughters."

   Brianna Lumas was only slighter shorter then her parents and had long,
dark brown hair that framed a bright and smiling face. her green eyes seemed
to miss nothing as she looked at her legendary uncle. Her body was stocky
and had an edge of muscle and refinement that told of her exercising and
working out.

   Heather was taller and slimmer then her older sister. She had hair that
was a dark blonde in color that was tide back in a pony tail. Her blue dress
and gold filigree along the edges. On her right shoulder was the gold,
interwoven rings symbol of a Mages Guild member.

   "Where will you be staying?" Verner asked.

   "The guild has an apartment for us," Misha responded.

   "You're always welcome at the mansion," Elizabeth said.

   "I know," Misha said slowly. "But not now. Not yet."

   Verner nodded. "I can understand that. But don't forget."

   "I know but . . " he hesitated. "I  . . . need time."

*************

   "Where are we going?" Caroline asked as they walked through the maze of
city streets.

   "You'll see," he said mysteriously.

   The buildings suddenly stopped and the street opened up into a long, wide
park. In front of her were a pair of massive stones. Each of the two
standing columns were at least 25 feet tall, five feet wide and weighed at
least twenty tons. She looked to the right and left and saw similar arches
marching off in both directions as far as the eye could see.

   "What are they?" Caroline asked. "They remind me of the Gray column back
in Metamor Valley."

   "They do look like it," Misha responded.

   She walked up to one of the standing stones. "Who made them?" the massive
column loomed up over her like a storm cloud threatening rain. The stone was
gray and showed little weathering in spite of its obvious age. She noticed
that the column closest to her had symbols carved into it. Caroline didn't
recognized the but they looked vaguely like musical notes.

   Her fiancé shrugged. "No one is exactly sure but probably the elves.
Touch one of the symbols. They're safe."

   She gave him a puzzled look and placed her hand on one of the symbols.
There was a loud chime like the ringing of a bell. Caroline jerked her hands
backed in surprise. "What?"

   Misha gave a yip of laughter as his tail wagged back and forth. "This
column is named Linduinal. Which means musician."

   Caroline touched the column again this time on a different symbol, one
below where she had first touched. She was rewarded with another chime but
this time deeper then the last one. She laughed out loud with delight.

   "The tone changes depending on where you touch it."

   She spent some time producing sounds from the stone. "Why were they
created?" Caroline asked as she made more music.

   "No idea," was her lover's reply. "If you ask people that you'll probably
get ten different answers. They're called "Celile al Laniun. Which
translates as Husband and Wife," Misha explained.

   After a few moments of exploration Caroline understood the symbols and
the soft tones of a song wafted up through the air. The simple notes from
the stone and the musician rang loudly in the park. People stopped and
turned to the source and soon a crowd had gathered round.

   Caroline saw none of the crowd. All her attention was focused on the
pillar and her music. She moved with an increasing confidence as her hands
found the right places almost without her guidance. The notes danced and
lilted through the air and people found themselves leaning closer to catch
each note.

   Those listening tried to indentify the music but none could agree on
exactly what it was. Some claimed it was something they fondly remembered
from childhood, yet others claimed it was Elvish or Seuilman. Several people
closed their eyes so they could concentrate solely on the wonderful sound.
Others had pulled out paper and pen and were frantically trying to copy down
each note. One young woman held up a small rectangle of brass and wood. The
magic in the item was diligently recording every note for posterity.

   The last notes seemed to linger in the air for a long time after Caroline
had removed her hands from the stone.

   There was several moments of pure silence before people started to clap.
For the first time Caroline realized they were not alone. She looked around
with her eyes wide. There was at least two hundred people watch and
cheering. "Wow!"

****************

   "Welcome to the Marigund market," Misha said as he waved his hands about.
The two were standing in the middle of the street in the midst of chaos. The
street was lined with warehouses and stores that were all open with people
buying and selling. The streets were lined carts and wagons, all piled high
with things. Everywhere she looked Caroline saw people talking, trading and
bargaining.

   "What can you buy here?" she asked.

   "A better question is what can't you buy here? If you can't buy it in
Marigund; you can't buy it anywhere. All trade going to or from the Outer
Midlands must pass through Marigund," Misha explained. "And the city rests
at the point where no less four major roads come together. Trade has always
been a major factor here. Probably always will be."

   "And I thought the market in Euper was crowded," Caroline joked. "Does
this place ever quiet down?"

   "It's midday in the middle of the week," Misha explained. "And the
busiest part of the trading week. Things do calm down at night but no, it
never actually shuts down."

  They walked through the crowd ignoring the hawkers and sellers all vying
to sell them something. None of them seemed to care that that their buyers
weren't really human. What mattered was they were well dressed and obviously
had lots of money to spend.

   They turned down a side street which quickly became narrower as the
buildings crowded closer together.

   "Where are we headed?" Caroline asked.

   "To see a true master craftsman," Misha answered. "And to show you a
little mystery."

   After several minutes of walking the two came to a halt in front of a
tall, half timbered building. The beams were painted black and the walls in
between painted a dark blue. The sign over the door read "Sir Thomas Hodkin,
Royal Bowyer," in gold letters on a dark blue background.

   Standing at the door was a tall, heavily muscled man wearing full,
chainmail armor and holding a large bow. On his back was a quiver with a
score of arrows in it. "I'm sorry by Sir Hodkin is not seeing visitors
today," the tall guard announced solemnly.

   "I have a gift for him," Misha took the bundle and slowly unwrapped one
end revealing a wooden bow that was covered with painted and carved
decorations. Caroline recognized it as a Lutin made bow. She was sure all
the carvings and decorations identified which tribe had made it but Caroline
couldn't tell without a closer inspection.

   The man took one look at the bow and his eyes went wide with amazement.
"Step this way please!" He said and ushered them through the door.

   Inside she found a workshop alive with people working at a score of
different jobs. Most were sitting at workbenches carving and sanding long,
thin pieces of wood. Someday those pieces would be powerful long bows. In
the back she saw three man carefully shifting about more wood carefully
sorted and stored on racks and shelves. All of the work stopped for a moment
as the workers stared at the new arrivals. An older man with brown hair now
graying tapped on a workbench with a large file and all the people got back
to work. Even so she saw many of the people casting furtive glances at her
and Misha.

   All of that was lost on Misha who walked to the far wall where a
selection of bows hung on display. He pointed to a bow that was mounted just
above eye level. The otter stepped closer. Caroline was no expert on
longbows but her family had been in the valley for centuries. That meant she
knew a lot about the Lutins whether she wanted to or not. The bow he was
pointing to was a little over five feet long and was made of several
different types of wood and other materials bonded together. It was, like
all things Lutin highly decorated. All the exposed surfaces were either
carved, painted or both. Various tufts of fur, feathers and unrecognizable
bits hung from it. But for all the decorations the weapon looked strong and
well made. This was no decoration but a real killing weapon.

   "Is that a Lutin bow?" Caroline asked.

   "It is and what can you tell me about it Carol?" Misha asked playfully.
"Who made it?"

   "You're the Lutin expert my love," she said and wrapped an arm around
him. "But I see wolves all over the bow." She gently touched one of the
tufts of gray fur tied to the end. "And that is wolf fur. This is a Wolf
rider bow!" She turned and looked at Misha. "A Wolf Rider bow here in
Marigund? How?"

   "It's been here since my ancestor killed the Lutin who was wielding it in
228CR," a voice said.

   Both Keepers turned to the voice and Caroline recognized the man who had
tapped on the bench earlier. Up close she could see he was wearing an apron
of expensive leather. His brown hair was graying with age but his face was
bright and energetic. He smiled broadly.

   "Sir Thomas Hodkin," Misha said and bowed deeply. "It's a pleasure to
meet you! My name is Sir Misha Brightleaf." He patted Carol on the hand.
"This is Lady Caroline Hardy. My Fiancé."

   "Misha Brightleaf?" Hodkin asked. "I thought that you were dead."

   "Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated," Misha responded.

   "You're from that keep up north by the Giantdowns?" the bowyer asked as
he pointed off to the west. "The one with all the silly looking people."

   Misha laughed. "I've been described many ways including ugly and an
abomination but never silly."

   The man laughed. "I've been creating bows for kings, nobles and wizards.
Those are some truly strange people. A little fur is nothing. And besides,
you brought me a gift?"

   "I thought it would make a nice addition to the one you have." Misha
explained. He reached into the quiver on his hip and pulled out a dozen
arrows. All the projectiles were as richly decorated as the two Lutin bows.
"And some matching arrows. Both from the Wolf Rider tribe."

   Thomas took the arrows that Misha offered and examined them. Then he
looked at the bow Misha had brought and examined that with the careful eye
of a skilled bowyer. "The core is a wood I don't recognize."

   "It's Althan wood," Caroline explained. "It only grows in the Giantdowns.
At least I've never seen it anywhere else."

   Thomas looked at the otter for a moment and nodded. "I would like to get
some of this wood to try it out." He returned to examining the bow. "I also
see horn, sinew, leather, and antler. Please tell me that leather and bone
isn't human."

   "It's not human," Misha answered. "But I don't know what it's from. It
might be from any of a thousand different animals. The Lutins have their
faults but they always respect the dead."

   "Never mind the Lutins and their composite bows. Mine are made from the
finest yew wood," the bowyer commented with pride. "For over two hundred
years a Hodkin bow has served the royal family. Can you afford my
workmanship?" the bowyer asked.

   Misha nodded slowly. "What if I can give you two  hundred board feet of
Althan wood in exchange for a bow for Caroline and myself?"

  The man smiled broadly. "You're a Brightleaf all right. Make that three
hundred and you have a deal." He extended a hand.

   Misha grasped the man's hand in a firm shake. "Deal."

****************

   It was the type of religious structure common in Marigund. The tall stone
walls and thick doors were plain and devoid of the decorations usually found
on such places of devotion. The interior was as ornate and bright as the
exterior had been drab and dark. Large stained glass windows threw a riotous
kaleidoscope of colors over everything.

   "It hasn't changed in all these years," Misha said as they walked up the
aisle. "It looks the same as when I was here as a child." There was a warm,
soft tone to his voice that told of pleasant memories. "We used to come here
every Sunday for services."

   Misha pointed to a corner of the church. "George says it's over there."

   "I thought your family had their own chapel? Caroline asked as they
walked up along.

   "We do but that's out in the country," he explained. "Here in the city we
use this place. I remember thinking the services were so boring."

   In a moment the two reached what they were after. Caroline had to admit
to herself that it was a very fine tomb. It was tucked into the back corner
of the church, near a side altar and had a full length effigy of its
occupant laying on top of the slab. The dark, gray, stone figure was of a
knight in full armor, complete with helmet, sword and spurs. “Herein lies
Misha Brightleaf, brave soldier who died defending us all. 673 - 699,”
carved on the edge of the slab. A grand place to be interred for eternity.
When Misha had said that his family had killed him off she never truly
understood that until just now. Standing there looking at the tomb of a
person who was still alive and well confused her. Made her angry. Unwilling
to admit, even to themselves that their son had become some sort of furry
monster they had declared him dead.

   Misha just stood there staring at the tomb his whole body shaking. She
reached out and lightly touched him on the arm. He jumped and when he looked
at her it was with eyes clouded with tears of pain and anger.

   Without a word she wrapped her arms around him. He pressed his head into
her arms and cried.