[Mkguild] Family part 3

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Wed Oct 9 02:42:10 UTC 2013

Here is part 3. Again it REALLY helps to have read the Twilight Before the
Dawn story. Here is the link to the Twilight story
http://metamorkeep.com/story/The_Twilight_Before_the_Dawn1.php

   "You are late." Turning to the sound the  saw a man seated at a workbench
nearby.

   The woman didn't speak but glared at him for a moment before she sat down
at the table.  "Do all spies work to a schedule?" She said in clipped tones.

   "I don't like your attitude," he said. "You don't seem to remember the
situation your sister and her family are in."

   The woman stiffened. "I can never forget it. You never let me."

   "Report," he said ignoring the insult.

   "You were correct and we did get to visit the vault," the woman said and
fell silent.

   "And?"

   She didn't speak but just sat there as still as stone.

   "WHERE IS IT?" He snarled growing inpatient.

   "Tol Doron," she snapped.

   He smiled and took notes on a small piece of paper. "We've always
suspected it was in Tol Doron but you've confirmed that. Now where in Tol
Doron? It's a large place and we cannot go wandering around it all ."

   All he got in response was silence.

   "Speak!" He ordered.

   "I'm uneasy with revealing the location of that place. There are things
there that should never see the light of day again."

   "Don't make me repeat myself. Things could get unpleasant. For you and
your family."

  For years since coming to Marigund she had lived in fear. Forced to pass
along every bit of information she had. She was terrified of what would
happen to her family back in Sathmore. Finally she had found something that
scared her more. "They have City Slayer."

   "What?" He asked, displaying confusion for a brief moment.

   The woman felt a cold resolve fill her for the first time in years. "They
have Tanach Terea in the vault."

   He leaner close to the woman. "Do you mean the runic weapon?"

   She made a sharp nod of the head.

   The color drained from the man's face. "Good lord. We never suspected
they had something that dangerous. What are they doing with it?"

   "Nothing," was her answer. "It's just propped up against a wall. The
guild has always claimed that the vault was a storage place for dangerous
magic and evidentially that's the truth."

    "I do not want your opinion," the man snarled. "Just the facts and the
location."

   "Do you really want the location of City Slayer to become public
knowledge?" The woman countered.

   "That is not for you to decide," was the man's order. "I want the
location of the vault and its defenses."

   "No."

   "Your sister's . . "

   Smack! The sound of her fist as it connected with his face echoed loudly
in the room. It sent him tumbling backwards over his chair and sprawling on
the floor.

   "No! I WILL NOT ALLOW THAT EVIL BACK INTO THE WORLD! EVER!" Her face was
a bright red and her whole body was shaking with rage.

   He slowly stood up rubbing his jaw as the hard, stinging pain slowly
subsided. There was muscle and magic in that blow and he understood that if
the woman had applied a bit more of both he would be dead. He did not know
that the woman knew magic. "We. . . " he stuttered. "The Arenul Ceen would
never use that weapon. It's wholly evil."

   The woman had regained her composure and looked far calmer than ever
before. "Are you so sure? What will the prince say when he finds out where
such a powerful weapon is?  I do care for my sister and her family deeply
but I am a woman of the faith. I can never forget the Great Ones teachings.
and that thing runs counter to all of them. Sometimes great sacrifices are
required."

   "It's all academic," the man said slowly. "I'm sure that Demarest is
changing the vaults security right now. I am glad it's not in the city. At
least the guild has the sense to not locate it in a populated area."

   "You had best stay clear of that forest," the woman said. "It's old and
powerful."

   "Elvish?" The man asked.

   "No, something older and more powerful still. To get to the vault you'll
have to defeat whatever calls the woods home. That and the Doron wolves. I
am sure the Arenul can find ways to defeat all the spells and wards guarding
the vault but you will never get past the forest itself."

   "They picked the location of the vault very well," was the man's
comments.  "Just getting to the vault entrance would be a major
undertaking."

   The woman smiled. "Do I sense doubt?"

   The man's face hardened. "No you don't. Answer my question and describe
exactly where it is."

   She shook her head. "You answer MY question. What do you think Prince
Balint would do if he found out where City Slayer is?"

   "That is not your problem," he snarled.

   "Oh yes it is!" The woman leaned forward. "I'll make you a deal. You want
to know about the vault. I'll trade you that information."

   "Trade it for your relatives?" He asked.

   "For ALL my relatives," she answered.

   "Give me the information and we'll consider it."

   She turned her back to the man. "No relatives. No information." Suddenly
she spun around and glared at him. "And no further negotiations."

**************

   "Now I understand where Misha got his habit of throwing a good party,"
Caroline said cheerfully.

   The main hall of Brightleaf manor was a long, wide room with walls
decorated with bright murals of rolling hills covered with beautiful and
tall, majestic trees. The floor was of the finest marble laid out in
beautiful flowery patterns. It was a warm summer evening and the doors to
the garden were open. People moved from garden to hall and back again
freely.

   All of Marigund city seemed to be there as both places were filled with
people dancing, talking, eating. A band played a lively tune from a second
floor balcony as servants passed through the crowd offering drinks and food.
In the garden a small troupe of performers entertained people by balancing
and juggling various items.

   Caroline found herself introduced to a seemingly endless parade of aunts,
uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces. Their reactions to
meeting a talking otter ranged from mildly pleasant to overly cheerful but
most were friendly to one degree or another. She noticed a few people who
hung back or whose smiles were clearly forced. But the Brightleaf's were too
powerful a family to insult so those few acted friendly. Still they were
only a tiny handful of people. She noticed many of the guests wore the
ringed symbol of the Mages Guild. And all of them seemed to have questions
about Metamor, the curse and the Giantdowns.

   "Are they all here to meet me and Misha or just to come to a great
party?" Caroline asked.

   "A little of both," Elizabeth responded. "You two are the talk of the
city. Especially the Automatia department at the guild causing that big
trouble."

   Caroline sighed and nodded. "Madog has a habit of causing a big commotion
where ever he goes."

   "Where is this metal fox?" Rowenna Jr. asked and looked around. "A few
people have asked about him."

   "I'm not sure where he is," Caroline answered. "He usually never misses a
party. He's been very distracted lately."

   "That's understandable with what the Automatia are doing," Elizabeth
said.

   "It must be like him finding a long lost sibling," the elder Rowenna
commented.

   "Madog is hard to understand even at the best of times," Caroline said.
"But he's been even more mysterious and confusing during all of this."

   "I hear you're engaged," Someone said.

   Caroline extended her left hand. On her ring finger was a ring made of
gold and mithril twisting into intricate patterns. It was topped by a
beautiful green jewel that sparkled in the light.

   There was a collective gasp from the group. "Great maker," someone
whispered. "That's your engagement ring?"

   Muriel examined the ring closely. A look of awe on her face. "My son gave
you that? It's beautiful. It's more beautiful than anything the queen
wears."

   Misha never does anything by half measures," Elizabeth laughed.

   "You could buy a small city with that," someone said.

   "So have you set a date yet?"

   "No, not yet," she answered.

   "A June wedding is the best," came the advice. "A beautiful summer day.
with the flowers blooming, the sun shining and the birds singing!"

   "That sounds wonderful," Caroline happily.

   "where are you from?" Someone asked.

   "I was born and raised in Metamor Valley," Caroline explained. "My father
is a master jeweler."

   The woman held up her right on which was a beautiful bracelet made of
gold, silver and jade. "Misha sent me this. Did he make it?"

   Caroline peered at the bracelet for a moment. "Oh yes! That's Papa's
work!"

   The woman broke into a big smile. "That's fantastic. I love this
bracelet."

   Caroline nodded. "Thank you. Dad put a lot of effort into it."

   "If your father is a jeweler how did you wind up as a scout?" She asked.
"I thought you would follow in your fathers trade."

   "My brother did but I've always loved the outdoors," she answered. "I
just didn't want to stay inside all the time."

   "NO! NO! Don't eat that!" Came Misha's voice over the buzz of the crowd.

   "Ah! Madog has arrived!" Caroline said with a mix of humor and stress.
"And he's already trying to eat something."

   The younger Rowenna leaned to one side and peered off at something behind
Caroline. "I see him. He seems to be trying to eat that table Aunt Valarie
gave you last year Grandma."

   "The expensive one, imported all the way from Elvquelin?" The elder
Rowenna asked.

   "Yes Grandma."

   She sighed. "At least he has good taste."

   "No!" Came Misha's voice, tinged with desperation. "Not the furniture."

   Caroline turned to the sound of the commotion and found Misha and Madog
fighting over a table leg which was no longer attached to a table. A good
sized crowd was clustered around the two, watching the antics.

   "Madog. Please come here and meet the family," she said cheerfully.

   The foxes, both metal and flesh dropped the wooden leg and stood up
straight.

   Madog picked up the leg and with it in his mouth happily trotted over to
the group. He dropped the leg onto the floor at Muriel's feet. "I like your
furniture!"

   "So I see," the elder woman said and smiled.

   "Madog," Misha said solemnly. "This is Reuben and Muriel Brightleaf my
parents."

   The automaton fox did a deep bow to Muriel and then the Reuben. "It's a
pleasure and an honor to meet you both."

   Reuben bowed and Muriel curtsied. "It's a pleasure and an honor to meet
you Madog," the man said.

   "He's beautiful," Muriel said and smiled as she gently petted Madog's
head.

   "And so are you," Madog responded. He turned to Reuben. "You're lucky to
have such a beautiful wife."

   The elder Brightleaf put an arm around his wife and kissed. "I know
that."

   Suddenly Madog stopped and turned around and stared into the crowd.
"Sound general quarters. All hands man your battle stations!"

   Before anyone could say anything the crowd parted and a tall figure with
brown hair and dressed clothing that was new but not the latest nor most
expensive fashion. There was a firmness to his stride and a determined look
on his face. In moments he had crossed the floor and up to Misha.

   "KNAVE! VARLOT!" The man cursed and slapped Misha across the side of the
face. "You have wronged my ancestor and my family's good name."

   Misha rubbed the side of his face with one hand. "Who are you?"

   "Sir William Thadius Borrelli," the man answered indignantly.

   "Oh," Misha said slowly then fell silent.

   "You don't know?" The man snarled as his face turned bright red. "You
insult my ancestors honor and call him a fool and you don't bother to
remember."

   "Oh! Misha said with surprise. "The Lord Fool story."

   The man wagged a finger at Misha barely missing his nose. "You will hear
from my Second tomorrow!" Then he spun about and stormed off.

   "I don't think he liked your book brother," Elizabeth said calmly.

   Misha sighed. "Everyone is a critic."

***************

   It was late and the church was quiet. The place was dark and cool. The
only light coming from some candles that burned up near the altar. The
feeble light left the rest of the church in darkness or filled with shadows
that moved about as the candle flames guttered and flickered. The room was
silent except for the faint patter of rain on the windows.

   A few words to the pastor had gotten Misha inside and to have to place to
himself. He silently made his way up the aisle unconsciously afraid of
breaking the silence of this holy place. He finally stopped in front of the
tomb. Misha stared at the slab with its fake human face. A face that hadn't
existed for almost eight years.

   "That was a bad mistake," a voice said.

   Turning to the voice he saw his father standing a few feet away. "It felt
wrong but I did it anyway," he said as he walked toward his son. He stopped
next to him.

   "We all have regrets," Misha said slowly.

   "Indeed." The elder Brightleaf touched Misha's tail. "This was never the
reason for that grave."

   "Then what was?" He asked in cold tones.

   "That damn axe," was the man's harsh reply.

   "The axe?" Misha asked, confused.

   "Twice they came after us," the man explained as he looked at the tomb.
"Trying to kidnap one of the family to hold for ransom."

   Misha sighed and shook his head slowly. "And the ransom would have been
the axe."

Reuben slowly nodded his head. "But with you dead everyone assumed the axe
was lost. Especially since rumors started that the axe was sighted up north.
Did they come after you there?"

   "No," Misha answered. "Evidently the fear of the curse was bigger than
their greed for the axe."

   "That's ironic," Reuben said with a wry smile. "That curse saved us all a
lot of pain."

   "Two hundred thousand lutins have been trying to kill me but not over the
axe," Misha said. "The lutins don't want the axe. Said so several times."

   "The lutins don't want it?" The elder said, surprised. "And people call
them stupid monsters."

   "The Lutins are many things but not stupid," Misha responded. "I have
respect for their toughness and endurance. They are survivors."

   "You haven't brought it here have you?" The man asked with a tinge of
nervousness in his voice.

   "No," Misha said with the shake of the head. "It's in a safe place but I
can summon her if needed."

   "Hopefully you won't need it."

   "She's been both a blessing and a curse to me," Misha said honestly.

   "To the whole family," the elder responded.

   Misha sighed. "I think my time with her is winding down. I think she is
due to rest for a few years before someone else takes her up."

   "I wish Grandpa had never brought it back from the north," Reuben said
coldly.

   "Did he ever tell how he found her?" Misha asked.

   "Repeatedly," Reuben answered and laughed. "But he never told the same
story twice. Hasn't she told you? After all you've written a book on her."

   "No. I've seen a lot of her history but not her time with Great Grandpa,"
Misha paused.  His ear perked up. "Wait. You read my book?"

   "Both of them," Reuben explained. "And enjoyed them both. You're a good
writer."

   Misha stiffened and wagged his tail. Then he wrapped his arms around his
father and hugged him tightly. "Thank you Dad."

   "What will you do about that challenge?" The elder asked.

   Misha shrugged. "I'm not sure. It's been a long time since I've been
challenged to a duel. Have the rules changed?"

   Reuben shook his head in answer. "No. Such things are allowed but it's
considered impolite to do it to more than to draw blood."

   "That's fine," Misha said slowly as he sat down in a pew. "I'm tired of
killing people."