[Mkguild] Group picture

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Aug 24 12:31:46 UTC 2014

I agree than a serious tone is called for, though
that doesn't mean that every character would need
to appear dour.  Some of the characters are
naturally more light-hearted than others.   But I
think tone helps us determine better who would
make a good artist.  My preference tends towards
those with more realistic styles, but some of
those artists are simply not affordable,
especially if we want color, for a group picture.

That said, I like the rotation idea, as it
provides us the ability to add more pictures as
time goes on to the rotation.  Perhaps limit each
shot to a certain number of characters, maybe
even related characters, so that we can have
themed shots.  I can see a good shot of Thomas's
household (Thomas, Alberta, Thalberg, Malisa,
Andwyn, maybe one or two more), of powerful mages
(Rickkter, Murikeer, Jessica, Xavier, Thanh, and
a couple others), of powerful warriors (Misha,
George, Charles, Wolfram, Lois, others), of
craftsmen and laborers (Drift, Gordon, Michael,
Lindsey pre-dragon, others), of scholars
(Habakkuk, Jon, Fox, others), of religious
(Raven, Merai, Hough, Felsah, Elvmere, others),
and I'm sure there's tons I'm forgetting.

Now, some cautions:

1. We can easily get too big and never get it
done.  Some of the suggestions I made above veer
dangerously close to this territory because it
would be easy to go over the top and then we find
ourselves with too expensive a mess we could never agree to amongst ourselves.

2. Metamor Keep has tons of characters, some of
them dear to our hearts, but not really seen as
all that important or recognizable to
others.  And with as many authors as we have, it
would be impossible to include everyone who thinks they should belong.

Now, some artists are willing to do huge group
shots, but they do cost and they do take
time.  For instance, here's a group shot with a
bit of a slight fur-cartoon look:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9155245/  And
here's another by the same artist with a complex
background and scene:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/928617/  And to
show how crowded a shot can get: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/95170/

(Note, I hoped to get something from Kacey at AC
but she filled up too fast).  I think her style
is a good one to consider myself.  I am not sure
of her prices though.  There are other great
artists I love out there as well (Caribou and
Heather Bruton come to mind; Dark Natasha is just too expensive!)

Just some of my thoughts on the subject!