[Mkguild] Midwest Furfest- I should have asked this earlier

Hallan Mirayas hallanmirayas at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:37:48 UTC 2014

Thank you all for your concern.  I'm okay and now home.  Below is the post I made on the Cross Time Cafe discussion forum:

This was not a non-issue.  Let me repeat that.  It was not
 a non-issue.  My friend and I were up late talking when, over the sound
 of the room fan, I started to hear what sounded like a warning siren.  I
 know the warning siren of the Hyatt O'Hare very well thanks to prior,
extremely unpleasant experience, and after turning down the room fan and confirming that it was indeed the warning siren, I
immediately went into evac mode.  The siren at the time was still just
in part of the hotel, and I did -not- want to be near it when it started
 wailing in the room.

Stepping out of the room, I was immediately
 struck by a strong chlorine smell, and a staffer working his way along
the doors (pounding on them and telling people to wake up and get out
NOW) yelled at my friend and me to get outside and get some air, because
 there was a chlorine leak.  This was very clearly no drill.

As I
 was leaving the hotel, I saw people dealing with the effects of
chlorine exposure, being treated by paramedics.  Once outside, we were
ordered to the sidewalk, then across the street, and then the convention
 hall across the way was opened for warm shelter, because it was
-really- cold, and lots of people did not leave the hotel prepared for a
 long wait.  Into the convention center we went, and once I met up with
some friends, several of us laid out our coats on the floor and went to
sleep until the all clear was given.  Midwest FloorFest, as one
particularly witty person put it.

The staff did a fantastic job, and they make me proud to be in this fandom.

I'm
 going to reserve judgement on the powdered chlorine bottle that turned out to be the source of the event, because
there is not enough information yet known.  I hope the cops catch this
person.