[Mkguild] A question of money exchange

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 20:59:24 UTC 2014

Well, each culture or kingdom may come up with its own trade valuation system - i.e. coins or something the equivalent thereof.
A chain is perfectly viable, except for the fact that is a PITA to remove and add links.  If there's a gap in the link to hook them together there is always the risk of the whole thing collapsing.

You're better off with beads on a thong/lanyard, even if they are *big* beads.  Native americans used such as a trade system in the past, though the value of the item was often up to the judgment of the individual with whom they're being traded.
One guy might be willing to trade a goat for an abalone bead, where the other guy doesn't much want abalone so is willing to part with a chicken for it.

So, let's say each link/bead is a set weight (rather than size), let's just take ounce as a standard measurement, or grams, either way.  Since I understand ounce I'll work with that:  Each gold coin is roughly 1" in diameter and 2mm thick, with huge variances under the ancient coinmaking processes.  So let's estimate each one to be 1/4 to 1/3 ounce.  A few of these will add up quickly to some considerable eight around the neck.  Silver and copper are also very heavy malleable metals... and these are being worn around the neck...
A commoner might not have a problem with ten copper and a couple silver... but what about the guy buying for the Keep's larder?  He'll about lynch himself with money if he's not careful.

So, beads will still have to be weighed, and there's no really convenient way to determine the purity of a given metal - in particular gold which is often adulterated to increase it's weight without adding more gold.  It's a complex system, but there's more than enough room in the setting to handle different monetary exchange systems.

Alright, I've done the calculations.