[Mkguild] A question of money exchange

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 23:42:53 UTC 2014

If the links had a smaller diameter they could all be put on a lanyard without being linked - making them into flat beads for all intents and purposes.  This works better than a linked chain that has to be broken, and then reassembled, for every darn purchase.  Size only becomes important in smaller denominations - i.e. 'change'.  Gold and silver would go by weight and have more varied appearances than copper or tin.

And copper, in that time period, is no easier to smelt than silver even if it is easier to find in quantity.  So making solid copper or alloyed copper currency would actually maintain a decent value.  Having for the most part expanded beyond the bronze age there would be little call for bronze, thus lessening the value of copper and tin overall.

Steel, on the other hand, would be a powerful and viable currency.  A kingdom that could forge high quality steel or better yet vanadium steel would be set to become a Power to contend with - like Metamor with their mithril.

Perhaps this distant kingdom might want an exchange more like:  Gold, silver, steel, bronze, iron, copper, tin?

And then we get into even more complex currencies that can only be refined by magical means (simple or complex) such as Mithril.  What other materials would require magic to refine from ore to product?  The discovery of that metal in quantities sufficient to mine can, and will, turn Metamor into a world dominating power within a century (at the slow rate of information and trade expansion in a trade wagon era)... if it's not beset upon from all sides for its riches.

tl;dr: The links don't weigh that much, but they're bigger than I expected.  100 links is really long, and they might be difficult to take apart.