[Mkguild] Spies and Assassins (7/?)

Azariah Wolf azariahwolf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 04:40:27 UTC 2014

Moving forward...

-LurkingWolf

___

<i>March 4, 708 CR</i>

Lois met the patrol in the armory once again, although the meeting on
this day was a few hours later than it had been on that day.The timing
of the patrol had been carefully arranged to have them arrive at their
destination very briefly before evening, hopefully giving them time to
find their quarry and settle in to observe them before all light was
gone.With a pair of mages along, the deadline was not overly strict.If
they had difficulty finding their targets, they would simply make use of
magic to find their way.

Lois caught sight of the second mage as soon as he reached the room
where he was meeting his companions.He stood near Lucy, speaking to her
quietly, but he was the first of the assembled patrol to notice the
assassin's approach.He had the appearance of a bipedal hound dog, his
body looking much closer to an animal than to a man.His eyes, however,
held an intelligence that no animal could match, and something else as
well.There was an icy depth to the way he appraised Lois.He was not
attempting to discern whether the ermine was worthy of trust; he was
determining exactly how Lois could be used to further his own ends.He
had seen conflict, and quite a lot of it.

His armor was of an unknown design, a strange set of leather that
suggested plate armor by its shape.Its dominant color was black,
contrasting the off-white of his fur, with dark grey cloth of a dense
weave visible between the plates that did not fully meet.It seemed both
secure and light, the ideal combination for a war mage.How much skill he
had with a blade was uncertain, but he carried himself like a warrior,
and the sword at his belt certainly had not come from the Keep's stock.

Lucy and Alex followed his gaze a few moments later, and they each
acknowledged the ermine with a curt nod and a few words.The moondog's
greeting was even briefer, consisting of nothing more than his own name
before he resumed his silence.Lois supposed that the man did not approve
of what he saw from him.There was no surprise there, in all honesty.

With the group assembled in its entirety, Alex wasted little time on
introductions before beginning the briefing.He clearly wanted to begin
the patrol quickly and without wasting time, and Lois could certainly
respect that decision.

"The Wounded Moon lutin tribe has been a thorn in our sides for quite
some time," he explained."Scouts have confirmed their general location,
but Keep intelligence wants more specific details.In order to secure
this information, we have been asked to infiltrate their camp and seize
whatever might be useful, at our own discretion."

"That sounds like a very complicated mission, considering that this is
my first patrol with the Keep," Julian commented.The moondog was
carefully checking the briefing for lies, trying to do so while still
seeming respectful.Lois smiled.A man this careful would be difficult to
deceive.

"Andwyn has assured me of your competence.Staying undercover in the
service of Nasoj since the Three Gates is no mean feat.I do not expect
you to find a covert mission particularly difficult given this
consideration."Alex managed the reply without once sounding untrusting
or deceptive, and the moondog accepted it without further comment.

"Whatever the case, we have a reasonably reliable idea of where the
lutins should be camped.That makes our task as simple as infiltrating
the camp and finding that information."He gave a feline smile."At least
we'll make it look simple."

The cockiness might have been laughable from another source, but Alex
clearly had confidence in his companions.It might have helped that he
knew that Lois would be the only one in serious danger when the time for
action came, but the assassin doubted it.Alex truly seemed to respect
the people he worked with.It meant quite a bit, especially since he had
only worked with one on anything resembling a regular basis.

The lynx asked his companions for questions, but none were
forthcoming.Nothing else remained to be said, and the four left the
armory soon afterwards.

Lois prepared himself for another extended journey.Such times presented
ample opportunities to think, but they were not particularly interesting
otherwise.Unless they met resistance, these journeys also gave him only
a limited idea of how Julian would hold up.He truly wanted to see the
sort of magic that the moondog would deliver, but he doubted that he
would have an opportunity until they reached their destination.

***

The party arrived at Hareford without ceremony before or during their
arrival.Julian, if anything, was disappointed at the moderate pace that
Alex set on the way, and was never more than a few steps behind the
lynx.He also seemed to be the only one that didn't need any time at all
to catch his breath once they had arrived.Lois considered talking to
him, but the moondog found a place to lock himself away soon after they
had been welcomed into the barracks.

Three of them quickly took advantage of the relatively comfortable
accommodations to rest before they headed for the wilds in the north.If
all went well their stay there would be brief, but none of them would
count on that eventuality.Alex left them to their relaxation, however,
and made for the keep at the center of the fortress.He had sent from the
gates to request a meeting with the commander of the fortress, and was
pleased to receive a prompt reply in the affirmative despite the short
notice.

The keep was truly nothing like Metamor's own central edifice.It was a
squat, almost square, structure that dominated the center of Outpost,
its halls quite concrete in their shapes and destinations.This didn't
stop it from being daunting to anyone who had been raised in a more
rural area as Alex had been.He might have been more intimidated by the
corridors had he not grown so used to the halls of the Keep, but he had
long since learned to ignore the foreboding walls and superfluous
decorations that men of taste used to disguise the drab, featureless
stone which formed their homes. He preferred trees to walls any day.

He was not visiting the commander of Hareford to discuss home decoration
decisions, however.He was here to deal with his previous visit, an
experience that now caused him nothing but shame.

The black lion who ruled Hareford met Alex in a small office, rather
than in any sort of audience chamber.Alex had requested a private
meeting.Some things were better discussed between two men.

The black lion was waiting for him, standing with his back to the door
as Alex was ushered in.He smiled at the lynx as he turned.The expression
was very familiar to Alex; he saw it in the mirror with reasonable
regularity.Having a similar face to the mage certainly made
understanding his expressions easier.

The black lion was dressed impeccably, wearing a striking blue robe with
gold trim running along all of its edges.His mane was styled in a way
that Alex suspected had taken hours, with complicated braids and more
than a little jewelry woven into its length.Still, his general demeanor
was personable, and Alex found it easy to return to smile in kind.

"Alexander hin'Valius, I presume?" the lion asked.

Alex bowed low before the commander of Outpost, more out of obligation
than due respect."Yes, sir.Thank you for agreeing to see me on so short
notice."

The lion waved a paw dismissively."My responsibilities are well within
paw, and I had wanted to speak with you as it is.Metamor sent ahead word
of your impending arrival."

Alexander nodded.Although he doubted that another patrol had been sent
with that purpose in mind, mages like Nestorius had ways of
communicating that transcended the need for a messenger.He briefly
wondered what all the black lion had been told, but he quickly put it
out of his mind a moment later.He would discover the truth before very long.

The guards left quickly, leaving the two felines alone in the room.With
other dignitaries, some might have stayed to assure that the lynx did
not try anything, but everyone was well aware that the mage who
commanded Outpost was more than capable of defending himself.As soon as
the door was closed, Alex took the opportunity to state his purpose
immediately.

"Sir, I do not know if you recall the incident as well as I do, but on
the occasion of my last visit, I said more than a few harsh words at
your expense.Although my current mission requires my presence until its
end, I wish to submit myself for discipline upon our return from the North."

The lion laughed, a sincere sound that was utterly relieving to the
lynx's ears.A good-natured smile formed on his muzzle, and he waved to
the lynx as he turned about."Come," he said."I prefer to speak while
walking."So saying, he triggered hidden mechanism in the wall behind
him, and several false stone slid away to reveal a cramped, but
serviceable, passage back into the halls.

Alex shook his head, unable to resist a smile despite the serious nature
of the ongoing discussion."You're sure the guards won't mind?"

The lion shrugged, the bangles threaded into his mane jostling with the
act."What they don't know won't hurt them," he whispered with
conspiratorially.

Alex followed Nestorius out into the halls, and soon the two had left
the keep entirely, the guards at the door of the chamber none the
wiser.Once they were into a more comfortable walking area, Nestorius
addressed the question that he had left hanging as they left.

"I do remember that occasion," he said, turning to look at Alex as they
moved."I was affected by it enough to inquire about it some time later,
and was pleased to hear that your lost party members had returned
alive.Before anything else is said, I did want to let you know how hard
it was for me to deny your request for a rescue party at that time.I am
no military man, and I am fortunate enough to have a family, so the
thought of leaving men to die by my inaction rubs me the wrong way.To
hear that they were alive was very relieving."

Alex nodded his agreement."I was also quite relieved, as a patrol
commander and a friend.One of my men lost a leg, but the alternative was
far worse.Still, I recognize your reasons for refusing to form a search
party at the time, and realize that my reaction to your decision was
unacceptable."

"To be honest, Alex, I would take that sort of radical determination to
save a friend over strict obedience, especially when that determination
is tempered by a wisdom that can see when the alternative is the best
available option," Nestorius opined."Surround yourself with advisors who
can see the other options, and you will be a great commander.The help of
advisors is the reason that I fooled the Keep into thinking I was a
capable military commander for so many years."He cracked a smile at his
own joke, and Alex returned with a smaller smile.

"Despite your reassurances, I still feel as though my actions were
tantamount to insubordination."

Nestorius nodded, but did not immediately respond.He stopped and looked
about the fields that the walls of the fortress encircled.The long
winter had strangled much of the color from the grass, and the constant
march of boots had further reduced the area to dirt and stone, stealing
much of the color from the already dreary environs.Still, the lion felt
a strong pride in the small fortress.It was not Metamor, to be certain,
but it was his home more than the larger Keep could ever be.It was also
his schoolmaster in so many ways.Already a master mage by the time he
had arrived in Hareford so many years ago, he had still learned enough
for a lifetime within its walls.

"I think," he said slowly, quietly, "that it is less important to be
punished in this case than it is to learn from it.Your command needs
you; I meant what I said about your potential as a leader, and to take
you from them for any length of time would be unprofitable.By your
desire to seek me out and not force me to request a meeting, I would say
that you have already shown no small degree of humility, a trait I
myself often lack.Let us call your apology punishment enough for now."

Alex smiled."Thank you for your mercy, sir," he said."I do not know if I
can profess the same amount of faith in myself as you have, but I will
do my utmost to justify that confidence."

Nestorius nodded, then turned to face Alex directly.No one was in the
area, as all the soldiers were occupied either with their regular duties
or training, and so he felt safe in the confidentiality of his next
statement."You can begin by taking care on your current mission," he
advised seriously."Andwyn contacted me himself regarding this patrol,
and whenever the spymaster takes it upon himself to speak with me
directly, it means that he means me to keep a close eye on it.This is
not so much a patrol as it is an assassination mission, am I correct?"

Alex could tell by the lion's tone that he did not intend the question
as a means of confirming a suspicion.He simply wanted to hear what he
knew coming from Alex's muzzle.

"Indeed, sir," Alex responded quietly."One of my men, a man by the name
of Vincent Lois, has some expertise in the area, I suppose you could
say.This mission is his, but of the four of us only myself and Lois are
aware of its true purpose.Officially, we are only seeking information."

"Hiding the nature of a task from the very companions who will help you
see it done is rarely advisable," the lion cautioned in an undertone."I
understand the sensitivity of the mission, but the revelation of its
true purpose at an inopportune moment could easily spell doom for you all."

Alex nodded, sighing as he considered his next words."I agree, but I
fear that any time before the act itself would be inopportune in this
case.One of our companions is in his first mission with us, and I do not
know how far I can trust him.I would question George's decision to
include him in our group so soon, but it would be impossible to leave
him without also leaving our mage, Lucy."

Nestorius nodded gravely."I have no particular talent for foresight, but
everything about this task screams of ill omen to me." He growled low in
his throat."Take whatever precautions you can to see it done, and keep
your eyes open for any chance of escape in the event of discovery.Also,
realize that you have plenty enough enemies in the enemy camp.Do not
make foes of your own men as well."

Alex sighed."I will certainly do everything in my power to avoid making
enemies in the camp," he affirmed."I hope that will be enough to see us
through."

The leonine mage quietly agreed."Now," he said, lifting his voice again,
"we should return to our meeting chamber before anyone begins to
question how quiet our discussions have been."

The two returned to the chamber in relative silence.Alex was relieved by
the first discussion, but speaking of the coming mission had set him on
edge.He had not been comfortable with it since George and Andwyn had
explained its nature to him some time before, and the more he thought
about it, the more nervous he became.He just wanted to finish the task
and return to the Keep.Now more than ever, he missed the presence of
Gerard.The stag was always a reliable friend in even the worst of
situations.