[Mkguild] MK Story Experiencing the Dawn part 1

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Sat Jul 12 22:22:13 UTC 2014

Here is my next Metamor Keep story. This one takes place right after
Catching Up on Old Times.

Here is part 1. Where we see more of Salona as she deals with the world and
the world tries to deal with her.

   Chris

The Lurking Fox

Experiencing the Dawn

by Christian O'Kane

   The private offices of the Head Lightbringer priestess for the outer
Midlands was in a suitably sized room. It was large enough to show the power
and prestige of the position but not so large and overly decorated as to be
ostentatious. In it Valarie Delminie was seated at her desk. As the senior
Lightbringer priestess in the Outer Midlands she was responsible for guiding
the spiritual lives of hundreds of thousands of people. Having been born and
raised in Sathmore coming to the Outer Midlands was a real culture shock.
She had expected that but nothing had prepared her for the almost insane
situation she'd found, especially in Marigund. She had expected problems
with both factions of the Followers and even the Yehudim but nothing could
prepare her for the current problem she faced. Things that had looked so
clear and simple in Sathmore were more muddled and confused here in
Marigund. But how could one prepare for dealing with a sentient, mechanical
animal that was several thousand years old?

   With her in the room was the priestess Azaelle Ferame. This woman had
been born and raised in Marigund and probably understood it far better than
Delminie ever would but even she was at a loss over the automaton Salona.

   "Does the temple have any records of this happening?" Deliminie asked. "I
mean more than what's in here?" She rested her hand on a large wooden box on
the desk in front of her. The container was filled with a wide assortment of
papers, scrolls and notes all concerning automaton magic. She had gone over
every single piece a dozen times but frustratingly, most of it was old and
worn out propaganda speaking only of how 'evil' it was. There was very
little actual information. and there was nothing at all about Madog and
Salona.

   Azaelle shook her head in response. "On this specific automaton. No. What
little information we have on Automatia has already been shown to you."

   Dewlminie pointed to the box. "This is all of it?"

   "When Madog was first uncovered at Metamor Keep, the high priestess there
Raven Blackmane asked us for all the information we had." She tapped the
wooden box on the desk. "The results of that request are in there."

   "How am I to make a decision if I am denied information," the high
priestess commented. "Is there any source we have not tried? What of the
government here?"

   The woman cracked a faint smile. "What they have has already been
included in this report. To be blunt my lady, there is very little chance
any records survived from that era. The Lutins very thoroughly laid waste to
Pintia and it was an uninhabited ruin for seventy eight years." the
priestess answered. "I am surprised anything survived."

   "Have you tried asking the Arenul Ceen?" Delminie asked.

   "Yes, four times and I am still waiting for an answer to my request," she
answered. "I am still waiting for an answer to my request for information
about Madog. That request I put forward thirteen months ago."

   Delminie looked down at the small pile of information on her desk. "Any
answer?"

   The woman shook her head. "No but I wasn't really expecting an answer
from them."

   Delminie shot the woman a questioning glance.

   "The Marigund mages guild and the Arenul Ceen have been bitter enemies
for over a century," the priestess explained. "There is literally no
peaceful contact between the two groups."

   The priestess looked up at the woman. "Did you ask the guild?"

   "Of course. This was before the Automatia department was actually
recognized, but they were very helpful. Gave us some good information. After
we had paid a suitable fee."

   The high priestess smiled and shook her head. "This is a country of
merchants."

   "Do not misunderstand them my lady," the woman countered. "The guild has
always been open and honest with us. It's just that they are always short of
money. They were most helpful in dealing with a some undead three years
ago."

   Her face lit up with surprise and then clouded with worry. "Undead? What
happened?"

   "An unpleasant result from The Burning," the other answered. "Someone
digging a ditch accidently uncovered one of the mass burial pits and stirred
up some undead."

   The priestess sat down at her desk and shook her head. "I never heard
about that."

   "The matter was kept quiet for fear of causing a panic," the woman
answered.

   Delminie sighed. "This country  is always surprising me. There must be
more information about this. Salona and Madog both specifically mentioned
priests and a trial of some sort. That means there must be records of it
somewhere."

   "Agreed, but it's not here in Marigund," the woman responded. "Have you
considered asking Madog or Salona?"

   "Madog is . . " Delminie hesitated. "Madog never gives a clear answer.
Plus it is painfully clear that neither automaton likes any priest or
priestess." The woman rubbed the center of her chest where she had been
struck by a bolt of light from Salona's culua. "Communicating with them is
not an option. At least not yet."

   Have you considered . . . " the woman started to speak but stopped
suddenly.

   "Considered what?" Deliminie asked.

   "Perhaps the Ecclesia might have more knowledge," she said slowly and
carefully. "They are known to collect many books and tomes. Much knowledge
survived the fall in a Follower library or monastery."

   Delmine looked at the women not sure if she should scream in anger or
laugh in amusement.

   The priestess had the cold, emotionless, serious look only a true
diplomat or a librarian could do properly.

   "You are serious?"The high priestess asked.

   "You asked and I answered," she replied simply.

   Several seconds of very profound silence filled the room.

   "What knowledge that is here we have," the woman said breaking the
silence. "Any information that might have survived is liable to be in
Elvquelin and Pyralis and not here. Refugees fled to those places when
Pintia was overrun by the Lutins."

   "I will ask my superiors. They can apply the appropriate pressure in
Elvequelin," Delminie said quietly.

   "That is sure to cause a scandal and a lot of commotion," Azaelle
commented.

   "Agreed," Deliminie answered with a smirk on her lips and a delighted
look in her eyes.

   "You want to cause a scandal?" Azaelle asked, confused and a little
concerned.

   "The order has become too complacent and needs to be stirred up," the
high priestess said in way of answer. "To bring out needed changes."

   "Stirred up?" Azaelle asked with a puzzled look on her face.

   "Look at the Ecclesia and the Rebuilders," the high priestess explained.
"The Ecclesia hierarchy had become complacent over the last few centuries.
And there was rumor of corruption. But no changes."

   "Unfortunately with power often comes corruption and greed," Azaelle
commented.

   "But nothing was done about it in the Ecclesia until the Rebuilders came
along," the woman explained. "Once they started to force change, THEN the
Ecclesia started to talk of cleansing the corruption."

   "That's . . " Azaelle stuttered. "That's an interesting idea."

   The high priestess smiled. Her whole face lighting up with amusement.
"Now you're being polite."

   "My lady?"

   "Change is coming," Delminie said solemnly. "I can feel it in my bones,
as my Grandfather would say. Great changes."

   "And you are trying to force those changes?"

   "I'm trying to control them," she explained. "Before they overwhelm us
all."

   "It is a shame we cannot ask in Pyralis," the priestess asked slowly.
Changing the subject.

   "I am sure the cardinal is applying the needed pressure there," Delminie
responded in clipped tones.

   "Indeed," the woman answered.

   "There has there been no official contact between the Lothanasi and the
Ecclesia?" Delminie asked.

   "No. Officially the two organizations keep a discrete separation. Our
only contact is through the government."

   "What about unofficially? Any discrete contact?"

   "Unofficially?" the Marigund priestess responded. "Nothing."

****************

   "There's nothing left of the bell," Demarest said somewhat amazed. The
head of the Marigund mages guild stared at the place where it had stood, The
bell never had a clapper but it hadn't been intended for anything as mundane
as tolling the hours or summoning people to worship. It had been in the
exact center of the guild's extensive property in Marigund itself and had
been on the nexus of several lines of power. It had been very sensitive to
magic and would make a noise when any magic was used. Most sounds were so
faint as to be inaudible to the human ear and were only recorded by very
special spells. But when the shockwave had hit - the bell had literally been
blasted into dust.

   The fountain was still there and at its center was the empty stone arch
where the bell had hung for centuries. Around it was shattered and torn
trees and a stone wall that was badly battered and half blasted down. All
victims of the bells explosion.

   "How long will it take to make a replacement?" Elizabeth asked as she
stared at the empty arch.

   The guild master shrugged. "Hard to estimate at this point. It will take
a long time to just collect the materials needed. We have to recover as much
of the remains of the bell as possible. But where are the pieces?"

   "It was completely vaporized," Elizabeth answered.

   "A half ton of brass doesn't just vaporize."

   Elizabeth walked over to the stone wall and ran her hand along the side
that faced the fountain. When she pulled away her hand it was covered with a
very fine, brass powder.

   "I was ready for this." The man waved a hand to the crowd of students
waiting behind him. "All right you know your tasks. Let's get to it."

   The students slowly moved up to the fountain with mops, buckets and rags
in hand. "Be sure to clean everything. We'll start at the fountain and work
outwards from there. Miss nothing!"

**********************

   Reactivating Salona had worn everyone out and in spite of the excitement
the group retired to bed. It wasn't till next morning they reassembled to
truly understand the automaton sabercat they had brought back to life. The
group that went to seek the sabetooth included Carlisle and the entire
Automatia dept was Cecelia Armhurst. Although she was the museum curator the
woman was also the senior historian of the guild.

   There was little to mark Thadeus Bevan as unusual. The tall man had hair
that was just starting to gray but his blue eyes were keen and nothing
missed his eyesight. His tunic and pants of dark yellow were not odd in a
place like the guild. Still everyone knew and respected Thadeus. He was the
one called when something odd and unusual happened. This often left him
facing something dangerous made doubly so for being unknown. He treated such
things with the patience of a man working on something that could easily
kill him. Which it usually was. It led him to treating everything with a
slow deliberate patience that also earned him his nickname of Thadeus the
slow.

   It didn't take much effort to find Salona. When they located her what
they did discover was that the automaton was not alone. Also with her were
two men who were standing a short distance from her. They were wearing
chainmail armor. From their belts dangled swords and strapped to their backs
were long bows and quivers filled with arrows. Although both knew some magic
neither was there because of their magic skills. Both eyed the new arrivals
carefully before giving Carlisle a nod of approval. Only then did the group
approach the metal feline.

    Salona sat in front of the fountain that sat just outside the entrance
to the Automaton dept. The fountain had two pools one atop the other and
made of a warm, brown stone that had been carved to resemble flowering
bushes. It was surrounded by flowers and plants that were a riot of colors
and smells. The automaton was sitting and staring at the fountain and the
water that burbled and danced in it. She was close enough to it that the
water was pattering down on her metal skin.

   "I never thought something so simple could be so wonderful," Salona said
without looking away from the fountain. "I missed the feel of water, the
sound of water."

   She stepped clear of the water and shook herself vigorously sending water
drops flying in all directions. The massive, metal feline lay down on the
grass and rolled over repeatedly as she wriggled about. "Grass," she said in
a delighted tone. "I missed the feel of it rubbing against my skin!"

   Salona stood up quickly. There were bits of grass, and dirt clinging to
her still wet skin. "I want to see this world. See it, smell it, touch it
all Everything," she said earnestly.

   "See the whole world?" Misha questioned. "That's going to take some
time."

   "Where do we begin?" Salona asked.

   "Well," Carlisle said slowly. "Right now we are in Marigund city, in the
country of Marigund in the Outer Midlands," Carlisle said. "Specifically
we're in Menomenta Gul which means Magic Crossroads but most people call it
Mage's Hall."

   "It's built on the site of an old Virtut Secturum Waystation," the woman
historian said. "But nothing is left of the Seuilman complex." She pointed
to the center of the garden. "A few years ago we excavated the ruins over
there. We did find some very interesting artifacts."

   "What of the Virtut Secturum itself? Did it survive?" Salona asked.

   The woman gave a shake of her head. "No." Came the answer. "Too few mages
survived but some of their knowledge has. Several organizations claim roots
to it. The Marigund Mages guild here, the Cunaha Rede in Pyralis and the
Arenul Ceen in Elvquelin all have preserved what they could. The Guild
itself here was formed by five of the surviving mages of the Virtut
Secturum."

   "We are in the courtyard which is at the center of the property,"
Carlisle commented as he pointed at various buildings around them. "That's
the school, over there is one of the libraries and the main scriptorum,"

   "How many libraries are there?" Salona asked.

   "One main library but five smaller ones are scattered about the
property," came the answer.

   "And who can access them?" She asked in a cool tone.

   "The main library," the mage answered. "Any guild member has free access
and nonmembers can get access by paying a small fee."

   "A small fee?" She asked. "Only four or five hundred gold pieces?"

   "No," Carlisle answered to angry tones. "One copper a month. Staff,
faculty and students have access for free of course."

   "What about the other five libraries?" Salona asked.

   "Certain libraries have restricted access," Carlisle added.

   "Why?" she snarled. "Why are you keeping knowledge from people."

   "One has a complete copy of Dendru's Pandendrulum," Thadeus commented
calmly. The man standing several paces distant but was intently watching
everything.

   The feline stiffened. "With all the knowledge that has been lost how did
that survive?"

   The woman gave a wry smile. "We're not sure. But it's proven helpful
occasionally. When used with a great deal of caution."

   "It's not our copy that worries us," Thadeus commented. "We are fairly
certain that at least three copies are still out in the world."

   "The Guild takes the collection and passing along of knowledge very
seriously," Carlisle said in a solemn tone. "In the past too much knowledge
was horded and never passed along. The reason Automata fell out of use was
its users refused to pass along their knowledge. And that knowledge died
when they did."

   "We run the largest and most open school in the Midlands," Thadeus said
proudly. "The guild's main purpose is to preserve knowledge and pass it
along to others."

   "I see. And it would explain why there is large crowd of children
following behind us," she said.

   The group looked around and indeed behind them was a large group of at
least twenty children of all ages and quite a few adults too.