[Mkguild] The Illusive Chain: Coincidence (6/?)

Azariah Wolf azariahwolf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 02:04:53 UTC 2014

-LurkingWolf

___

"I think I may have discovered the subject of my vision," their
commander announced before either of them could ask him."I have need of
a mage, Balrog?"

The disguised lutin gave a nod, while Victor stepped forward."Will my
help be required?" he asked.

Nathan shook his head, though he did offer a smile."I do not believe so,
Victor.Feel free to take some time to relax.I'm certain both you and
those in your company would appreciate it if you could wash the dirt off
the grime of the last few days."This last advice he gave with a wink,
and Vic nodded his thanks as he made for his quarters.Balrog and Nathan
watched him go for a few moments, and then the wolf turned and led the
way through the halls.

"I did not want to confront you in front of Victor, but you know I still
don't like how much you depend on those visions of yours," Balrog said
as they went along.

"You've said this much before, and I have constantly reminded you that
it has only ever proven useful," his commander replied.He spoke in a
friendly tone, but also one that made it clear that he was tired of
hearing the same arguments from his fellow.

Balrog shook his head, running a few steps to close the gap that the
wolf was working to open between them."I would not have such a problem
with following them if they were simply visions, devoid of emotion or
motives, but your reactions always indicate that such is not the
case.You looked devastated when I found you last night, as though your
closest friend had died."

"Indeed, my visions are almost entirely emotion," the wolf
admitted."Rarely are they so much visions as they are foreign emotions
expressing themselves to me from an unknown source."

"That is why I have a problem with this," Balrog insisted."Emotions do
not come from a vacuum.If there is emotion, then there is consciousness
behind it, and if there is consciousness then there are motives.Anyone
whose motives you follow without question can control you, and whatever
foreign entity is the source of those emotions can as easily be evil as
it can be good.Think about it; what emotions did you feel last night?"

The wolf stopped and turned to him, the gaze of his golden eyes stopping
Balrog where he stood.He hesitated for a moment, but did give an
answer."Terror," he stated at length."I felt terror, and then
uncertainty, and finally nothing."

"Very positive emotions, don't you think?" Balrog asked with biting sarcasm.

"Negative emotions do not indicate the presence of evil," Nathan pointed
out.He leaned closer to meet the shorter man's gaze more
effectively."Besides, I think you would be more than willing to go along
if you knew why it was that we are here."

Balrog hesitated, but he decided that it could cause no harm to continue
in that vein."Very well, what is it that requires my aid?"

"They tell me that your friend Lois was brought here last night," the
wolf replied, measuring his speech carefully."Some spell has locked him
into the form of a feral animal, and his companions have not been able
to remove the spell from him despite their best efforts.Of course, if
you are not interested in going along with something you don't
understand, I suppose we could simply leave him in a cage."

Balrog eyed him carefully, seeking any sign of a bluff, but he saw
none."And have you wondered why it would have to do with him?" he asked
calmly.While this news was unexpected and did concern him, he was not
the sort to allow an argument to go to his opponent."You met him once,
on a tourney field, and the your only interaction with him left him so
badly bruised that he had to see a healer.Why would your visions concern
you with his fate?"

The wolf straightened and shrugged to relieve the tension that had found
its way into the muscles of his neck."I am not certain, but they have
come from men I don't know at all previously.In the end, the ability is
supernatural; almost by definition that liberates it from any
subordination to mortal logic."

The shorter man crossed his arms, but he said nothing.While he did wish
to continue his questioning, his concern for his friend was finally
winning out."Very well," he conceded at last."Let us see what we can do
to help him, at least.We can continue this conversation later."

"Very well then.Follow along."He turned and took three quick steps and
was already around the corner as he spoke again."We're almost
there."Balrog sighed and followed.Although he did not look forward to
the thought, he would have to revisit the subject again later.