[Mkguild] The Illusive Chain: Coincidence (14/?)

Azariah Wolf azariahwolf at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 03:59:59 UTC 2014

Almost forgot today.

-LurkingWolf

___

"Should we begin?" Balrog suggested."As has been said already, the
longer we wait the riskier this business becomes."

Lucy nodded."Yes, you're right.We'll need most of the floor area for
this; Julian and Nathan, if you would be so kind as to move Lois and the
table to one side?I need to discuss the enchantment with Balrog."

Julian kept an uncertain gaze on Balrog for a few moments before nodding
and walking to the table to pick up the small cage where Lois was
trapped while they worked.He set it onto a nearby chair, and returned to
aid Nathan as he lifted the table and shifted it to one of the walls.

Lucy and Balrog stayed to one side, the young girl quietly discussing
her idea for what sort of enchantment they would need as her companion
listened.The lutin stood beside her, quietly considering her ideas as
she spoke.Alex watched them, clearly impressed by the lack of hesitation
shown by his party's mage.She stood beside the lutin as though he had
never lowered his illusion, speaking with him on thoroughly civil
terms.While the lynx had spoken up on Balrog's behalf a few moments ago,
he still had no doubt that actually conversing with him in such close
quarters would still be difficult.

Balrog was hardly a bystander in the conversation either.Every few
moments he held up a hand to forestall her speech and suggested an
alternative.Although he could not understand their discussion, Alex
could read Lucy's body language well enough to see that almost every
suggestion that the lutin made was a good one.

Nathan and Julian remained by the table once they had finished moving
it, the ermine in the cage to their side watching them in
confusion.Although neither had moved, however, neither had decided to
strike up a conversation with the other either.They stood there, Julian
eyeing the lutin still, and Nathan glancing around the room with no
certain focus.Alex caught Julian's attention and stepped towards the
door, away from the prying eyes and ears of the rest of the room.There
was no need to take the trouble, though; Julian again raised a shield
against eavesdropping as he joined his commander.

"You surprised me," Julian admitted as he faced the lynx."I did not
realize that your trust extended to lutins as well as strangers."

Alex absorbed his newest companion's quiet criticism without reaction.He
wanted to decide the direction of the conversation."I know that you are
used to Nasoj owning the allegiance of every lutin in the North, but
that rank is nothing but pretension at this juncture.Many things are
changing; surely you must know the extent of Nasoj's weakness more than
most."

"Only the man's allies are weak," the moondog cautioned severely."The
man himself has lost none of his considerable power.I tell you, some may
run from him now in fear of another failed engagement, but at the first
word of a battle cry from the north they will turn back as quickly as
they did at the first.The fear he command is the truly dangerous thing
about Nasoj, and the man is more than aware of it.He will allow you to
seek out allies among his subjects without comments, because trusting
them will make you hesitate to cut them down when they rally back to his
banner."

The conviction behind the moondog's words shook Alex's confidence
slightly, but he was acquainted with the responsibility of command, and
knew that he could not show it.He stood his ground, intentionally
waiting to give Julian some time to calm himself.The moondog tried to
maintain eye contact, but he glanced away after a few moments of heavy
silence.He shifted uncomfortably where he stood, putting his paws on his
hips.

"I believe you are earnest in your concern," Alex assured him."You know
far better than I do the strength of our enemy.Although that may be
true, however, I trust these men.If they wished to harm Lois, they could
have done so at any time over the last day.They have provided real help
in your investigation.Now, Balrog reveals this secret, which he knows
could mean his death, without being prompted or suspected of anything."

"He might have been concerned that the attempt to save Lois would have
put him under scrutiny.It could all be a gambit to keep our trust."

"You do not think I have considered that?" Alex asked pointedly."I have
decided to trust them for a variety of reasons, but not the least of
those is that I trust you and Lucy to make quick, decisive decisions
should a threat present itself."

"That is why I drew my blade," Julian insisted.

"I never criticized you for that," Alex pointed out."I merely took the
time to assess the situation myself and decided that he was not
threatening us.You have done exactly what I wanted you to do so far, but
there is danger in remaining so clearly suspicious of him."

Julian snorted and shook his head slowly, but his downcast eyes were
focused beyond the floor as he considered."You want me to make him feel
comfortable," he mused to himself.

"Exactly," Alex replied."I am aware of the possibility of danger here,
but I am also aware that Lucy knows what she is doing.Many hands make
light work; even if he does intend some trickery, Lucy will be able to
see it coming.Until such an attempt is made, I trust her to make use of
a second enchanter to accelerate the process."

Julian allowed himself a thin smile."You're harder to read than I
expected," he admitted.

"This is not my first crisis," Alex pointed out."Be careful, but don't
be obvious about it.For now, strike up a conversation with Nathan.Talk
to him about anything, but keep his focus on you.If something happens, I
will need you to fight him on your own.As Balrog can sustain a powerful
illusion for an extended period, I would be helping Lucy if he tries
something."

Julian nodded."Does Lucy know what you are planning?" he asked.

"I haven't told her about it specifically, but I trust that she knows to
be careful.I may not have worked with her for very long, but I know that
it is dangerous to be on the receiving side of her ire."

"Very well," Julian muttered."I will go to my assignment.I do not know
how comfortable I can seem alongside a lutin, but I will do my utmost to
be convincing."

"Good.If all goes well, perhaps we can teach you that not all lutins are
out for your blood."

The two men ended their meeting, and returned to the room.Nathan was now
sitting on the chair where Lois had been placed earlier, having moved
the cage to sit on the table once more.He looked up as Julian
approached, giving a small smile to acknowledge his presence.

Alex took up his post beside the door.With an undisguised lutin standing
in their midst, he didn't want any visitors to enter unannounced.Balrog
himself had moved to the center of the room alongside Lucy, both of them
holding a small rod of chalk in their hands.Lucy had already sketched
the central circle, and was instructing Balrog as to the pattern of
curves the man's hand would need to trace to join their halves into a
working whole.The discussion was brief, and soon the two were
meticulously fashioning the enchantment with careful hands.Alex
stretched.Hopefully, the process would not take terribly long.