[Mkguild] The Illusive Chain: Coincidence (1/?)

Azariah Wolf azariahwolf at gmail.com
Wed May 28 02:49:19 UTC 2014

After struggling with this for quite a while, I am finally ready to
start posting the parts to this story.  Sort of inspired by Matt's own
style, the parts of The illusive Chain will be posted consecutively for
each individual chapter, or Link.  This is not only copying Matt, it's
also just due to the fact that this story will require a bit of effort
to follow, and I would do no one any favors by spreading the pieces out.

-LurkingWolf

___

The Illusive Chain

Link 1: Coincidence

<I>March 5, 708CR</i>

The silver light from the full moon emerged from behind the clouds once
again, lending an eerie silver glow to the white powder and leafless
trees that made up the forest.Across the quiet expanse of forest that
surrounded the Keep, a trio of men moved along with surprisingly little
caution.The snow muffled their footfalls, and the promise of the end of
another stressful patrol had removed perhaps a little of their
caution.One form moved ahead, showing both speed and stamina as it
crested one rise after another, barely slowing even as the man's
companions fell further and further behind.

Balrog gasped out a gust of steam as he pulled up short after another
rise, squinting at the form of their leader as he extended his easy
lead.He was joined a moment later by the last of his companions.The
young man was one of the lucky age-regressed Keepers who could assume a
more mature age than most.As he stood beside the disguised lutin, there
was little difference in their heights.There was a clear difference in
their maturity levels at least; Balrog, even shrouded in an illusion,
showed the effects of dozens of years of battle.The spells he had
designed to disguise his body exaggerated those old wounds to cover the
maze of tattoos that helped him maintain his vital illusion.The young
man off his right shoulder, however, was a stringbean, permanently
trapped as a boy who would never quite manage to mature into a man.His
skin was marred by a few pesky scars, but not a one of them had been
caused by weapons.It quietly gave testament to how close his apparent
age was to his actual age, and made it clear that he had not been in the
field for long.

That was not to say that he was a burden to his patrol.The quiver of
javelins that he carried on his back had been used to great effect not a
month prior.That day he had put a pair of the deadly instruments to
their fullest use.The thin-bladed scimitar on his right hip had been
similarly bloodied in that battle, though only once.That he had done
most of the work in killing a band of five mercenaries that the group
had encountered on patrol had certainly raised Balrog's already high
opinion of the boy.

The young human smiled and clapped a hand on Balrog's shoulder."Getting
tired, old man?"

Balrog could barely manage to laugh convincingly."The commander is
setting an uncomfortable pace this evening," he grumbled.

"When does he not?" was the rueful response.

"Better catch up with him before he notices that he's lost us," Balrog
said, getting his legs moving once again.

His fellow groaned before following, but move he did."I could go for a
good drink after this patrol."

The disguised lutin did manage to laugh at that."You know you're not old
enough to actually have what I could honestly call a good drink," he
pointed out.

The boy shook his head as he matched Balrog's strides."And how is Donnie
going to verify my age?I tell you, if you are old enough to be Cursed,
you should be old enough to drink the hardest liquor that the Keep can
buy.I'm fighting for the Keep's defense; if I'm old enough to die on the
battlefield I should be old enough to drink myself to death."

Balrog shook his head with an amused smile."Vic, at your age I would not
be so hasty to try to kill myself regardless of the method.With people
like Nathan setting a sprinter's pace in a marathon, the world needs no
help finding ways to kill you."

Vic shook his head, but kept moving.They had almost completely lost
sight of the patrol commander, save for a few fleeting glimpses as the
man darted expertly from shadow to shadow.His black fur aided him
greatly in his attempts at camouflage, although his almost rushed pace
complicated that matter more than a little.

A few moments later, however, the man disappeared completely.This sudden
departure from the norm encouraged Balrog to increase his own speed.The
commander's attitude always leaned closer to the dramatic than the
stealthy, and the thought of this backfiring was hardly new to Balrog's
mind.If Nathan had managed to run into the teeth of an enemy party
without the aid of his companions he would no doubt be able to hold his
own for some time, but the disadvantage of numbers would be concerning.

His worries were assuaged moments later as he saw the man again,
silhouetted against the trunk of a large tree, looking at his
surroundings in a way that almost seemed distracted.His black fur,
touched by the light of the full moon, looked closer to silver, and the
strange design of his clothing, which mixed white, grey, and black in a
chaotic patchwork, was easy to lose against the background of snow and
trees.Balrog kept his pace up, and soon had reached the quiet wolf.

"Commander?"Balrog moved up next to the patrol commander, gasping for
his breath."Is something wrong?"

The wolf turned to look at him, but he didn't speak for a few moments.By
the time he did, Vic had come up alongside the two of them, looking
confused but clearly more focused on catching his breath than on asking
about the reason for the halt.

"Something's wrong," the wolf finally said.

"Do you know what it is?" Vic asked.

The wolf began to cast his gaze across the snow again as though
considering his answer."I'm not certain, it's just...It's only a
feeling, I do not know what it could mean."

Balrog rubbed the back of his head."Nothing specific enough to act on?"
he asked, almost sounding hopeful.

The wolf dropped into a crouch and closed his eyes as though
concentrating on something important.He hesitated again before saying
anything further."I don't know what this is, but it's too strong a
feeling to ignore."He bounced on his paws for a few moments, pressing
his palms together before him and rubbing them back and forth."I don't
think we should go to the Keep."

Victor groaned and kicked sourly at a drift of snow."Any chance you
might be wrong?" he said in almost a requesting tone.

The wolf shook his head slowly, but surely."Hareford," he muttered.

Victor groaned outright and began to march around the area in
frustration, grumbling about missed drinks and warm beds.Balrog decided
to continue the conversation."Why Hareford?" he asked."The Glen is
closer by several hours; even Lake Barnhardt is a shorter journey.Is
something happening at the Outpost?"

The wolf remained silent for a few more moments."I don't know," he
finally stated."That's as much as I can divine from what I have been given."

Balrog chuckled bitterly."What good is being psychic if you can hardly
understand your own visions?" he remarked.

The wolf stood and favored him with a sympathetic smile."You know that
as well as any of us Balrog.It is confusing, yes, but when has this
ability ever proven less than helpful?"He turned and took a few steps
towards Outpost, and away from the Keep."There must be something
important at Hareford.We'll find out what when we get there."

Vic still looked sour to the idea, but he knew better than to make it an
issue.He nodded to the commander and stood up straight."Commander, could
we at least find time for some rest?I do not know if I could remain
alert for the entire journey."

The wolf nodded."Of course.We'll find a more sheltered area and take a
few hours to camp.I'll take first watch; perhaps having some time to
consider will reveal why we are needed in Hareford."

The trio turned back to the north, the black wolf taking the lead once
again.Victor looked at Balrog in exasperation, the older man giving him
an understanding smile. The boy responded in kind, and the two of them
once again moved to catch up with their commander.It seemed that it
would be a longer night than they had originally expected.