[Mkguild] What the Dawn Reveals part 2

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Thu Nov 6 04:04:48 UTC 2014

   Room 322A was located in the area of the guild complex assigned to the
Automaton group. It had many functions including classroom and assembly
room. All the chairs had all been pushed to the corners and out of the way
but the tables and desks remained. Each table and desk and a good part of
the floor was covered with all manner of papers, parchments and scrolls. All
were filled with precisely drawn diagrams and schematics. Misha and Carlisle
were hunched over one of the drawings, examining it intently. They were
alone in the room, everyone else had gone off on different errands. Even
Caroline was off visiting the Brightleaf family.

   "Here it is!" Carlisle said and lightly tapped one section of the
diagram.

   Misha leaned closer and looked intently at the section the mage pointed
out. Amidst the web of lines, rods and gears was a vaguely oval shaped item.
It was completely covered with intricate symbols. "Is there a close-up
drawing of this?"

   "What's the object number on it?" Carlisle asked. Everything on all the
diagrams had been carefully labeled.

  Misha squinted at the numbers and letters embossed on the item in small
print. "ML233571A."

   The man leafed though several pages of a small book before answering.
"No. To get a detailed drawing meant disassembling the entire chest cavity.
And we weren't up to that yet."

   The vulpine muttered several curses in Lutin. Both of them leaned closer
to the drawing.  "Well," Carlisle said slowly without looking up from the
drawing. "It looks a lot like Salona's culua."

   "And Madog's as well." Misha tapped one of the symbols drawn on the item.
"I recognize that symbol. It's an defense enhancement rune, used to protect
against mental attack."

   "So Joeline was right. There was already a soul inside the lion when we
obtained it," Carlisle said.

   "This brings up another, more unpleasant question," Misha asked. "How did
it get there in the first place?"

**************

   Azaelle had never liked using such magic but it was useful especially at
times like this when it allowed someone in Marigund to communicate with her
superiors at the temple in Elvquelin. The spell had encompassed the three of
them. Delminie and Azaelle seemed to be standing in an empty, dark room but
that was an illusion. In reality there were in Delminie's private chambers
in the temple in Marigund. Opposite them was the high priest Cousinea who
was in Elvquelin more than a thousand miles away.

   "SOMEONE PUT MY PEOPLE AT RISK," Deliminie shrieked. Her face was twisted
into a visage of pure rage. "What idiot, what moron went after the deadly
items in the vault? And who attacked the guild Master?"

   Azaelle pondered what the woman was saying. The high priestess hadn't
said some people - she had said HER people. Already High priestess Delminie
had taken the people of Marigund to her heart.

   "This cannot be true," the man countered. If High Priest Cousinea had
assumed that sending Delminie halfway across the continent would see him rid
of her, he was sadly mistaken. Even at a distance she was good at causing
trouble.

   "No it's not true," Delminie snapped. "I just like screaming and
spreading wild rumors."

   "We are all aware that you like screaming and yelling," he commented
sarcastically. "Curb your tongue woman and remember your place. Remember who
you are speaking to."

   Delminie took a deep breath and seemed calm but Azaelle saw the woman's
eyes narrow. A sign that the high priestess was really angry. "Guild Master
Demarest told me that himself."

   "Do you trust this man?"

   The woman didn't answer at first but pondered her answer for a moment.
"Yes. I do not see why he would lie about such things. And evidently this
was not the first time an attempt was made on it."

   "I have never liked the idea of those mages having such evil magic. Even
if they do not use it," the man commented.

   "It must be kept somewhere," Delminie responded calmly. "But now is not
the time for that debate. Someone tried to enter that vault and openly
attacked a guild mage."

   The man took a deep breath. "Do they know who?"

   "The Arenul Ceen, The whole city is saying that."

   He leaned closer to the priestess. "And do YOU believe it?"

   She pondered the answer before speaking. When she spoke it was in a calm
tone and with a serious look on her face. "Yes. Yes I do. Who else would be
capable of the theft?  Who else would WANT to?"

   "Excellent points." the high priest answered. "But we cannot rush to
judgment just yet. Things in the Outer Midlands are always more complex than
they seem. I can think of several people who would want to break into it but
few with the resources to achieve it."

  Delminie gave a wry smile. "So I am learning. The Guildmaster is unhappy
about the theft of the lion but he is truly angry about attacking the vault.
This is very serious. I cannot overstate how serious this is. People are
very angry. If the Arenul were not responsible for this the true criminals
must be found quickly. Before the Guild decides on revenge. And the true
culprits must be found and stopped before they try again."

   "Agreed but do not assume anything. Do not prejudge the Arenul," the man
waved his hands. "Keep me informed of developments. Do your best to keep
things from escalating. Also suggest to Demarest that perhaps the Lothanasi
could help ease their burden in the vault." With that he gave a curt bow and
broke the connection before she could answer.

   The dark room disappeared, to be replaced by a chamber back in Marigund.
The two women were silent for a long moment.

   "I think I know why our hierarchy in Sathmore cannot find the records of
the trial," Azaelle Ferame said finally breaking the silence. "The Arenul
have them."

   Delminie turned and looked at her. "That is a distinct possibility. It is
an idea we must consider. But the invasion in 175 saw immense destruction.
There is the distinct possibility that the records simply no longer exist."
She turned and looked at Azaelle. "Arrange a meeting with the Guildmaster.
Today if possible. I must see master Demarest immediately."

***********************

   It was a very small group that met in the office of the Headmaster of the
Marigund Mages Guild. Just Misha Brightleaf, Carlisle Baldren and Guild
Master Morvyn Demarest.

   "We cannot be 100% certain without examining the item itself," Carlisle
said slowly. "But we are both sure that object ML233571A is a culua and
contains an active soul."

   "A recently constructed one," Misha added in a conspiratorial whisper.

   The Guildmaster stiffened. "Meaning?"

   Carlisle took a deep breath and looked the Headmaster straight in the
face. "Someone constructed a culua and put a soul in it."

   The color drained from the  Headmasters face."Are you certain of this?"

   "Yes," Carlisle answered flatly. "There is no doubt of it."

   The Headmaster shook his head. "This is a complication I do not need. But
it is not unexpected."

   Carlisle shifted nervously from foot to foot. "What do we do now? Do we
tell anyone?"

   "NO!" Both Misha and Demarest said out load and at the same time.

   "We cannot keep this secret forever," Carlisle countered.

   "Agreed," the Guildmaster responded. "But we must go VERY carefully on
this."

   "People are already asking me how someone managed to steal the lion," the
automaton mage commented. "What do I tell them?"

   "Tell them nothing," was the elder mage's answer.

   "And if they persist?"

   "Confuse them," Demarest answered calmly.

   Carlisle looked at the other man, himself confused. "What?"

   Demarest gave a wry smile. "Most people know nothing about Automatia. So
simply lie. They won't know the difference. But for no reason do you reveal
the truth."

   The automaton mage was silent for a moment but there was a confused look
on his face. "So confuse and lie?" He said slowly.

   "The truth is a dangerous thing sometimes," the head mage answered. "And
this one is especially dangerous. This information will be revealed but only
when the timing is correct. But that is a long term problem."

   Carlisle slowly nodded his head. "I do not like lying and deceiving
people. It's against my nature and the nature of the guild as a whole."

   "Understood," the elder mage said. "But we have enemies. And until we can
identify and neutralize them we must act carefully. The truth is so precious
it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

   "I do not like it but I do understand it," the automaton mage responded.

   The headmaster sighed deeply. "First we must recover the lion. Is there
any information on who or what might be in the lion?"

   "He must be a member of the Arenul Ceen," Carlisle said in an almost
offhand manner.

   "Are you certain of that?" Demarest asked. "We cannot prejudge."

   "I have considered it," Carlisle said. "Who else could it be? They are
the only group with the skills and the resources to accomplish this."

   "Do you know the person in the metal lion?"

   Carlisle shook his head. "Unfortunately we know nothing."

   "We know one thing," Misha said calmly. "He must be dead."

   Both men looked at the Keeper. "What?" They said in unison.

   "If he has put his soul into the lion then it means he has given up his
flesh and blood body," the scout explained.

   "That makes sense," Carlisle nodded in agreement. "But as to exactly who,
I'm still not sure."

   "If you can produce a list we will have them all investigated," the head
of the guild answered.

   "All right. I have been thinking on it," the mage answered. "One clue I
do have is if there is a soul in this automaton it would require knowledge
we here in Marigund simply do not have."

   "Who does have such knowledge?" the vulpine asked.

   "I didn't think anyone still had that knowledge," the automaton mage
answered with a shrug. "I have no reference to work from. We literally have
no knowledge of how such a soul transfer would be done. Or even who would
have it."

   "Anyone who does have such knowledge would keep it very secret," the
elder mage commented. "The guild has very carefully avoided researching that
subject. Anything involving souls is very dangerous."

   "It sounds like a religious question," Misha commented.

   "Agreed," the headmaster said. "This is a question we would need to
broach to the four religions. They are certain to have more information on
the subject."

   "How do we do that? Just reviving Salona almost got us all beheaded,"
Carlisle asked as he rubbed his neck with one hand.

   "The head mage gave a shrug and a small shake of the head. "I don't know.
Yet."

***********************

   Mage Rustius Tannonius had a lot to think about as he relaxed in large
bed that graced the apartment he was using for the next few days. He would
have preferred to be at home with his wife and family but in his present
form it was best he stay at the Osto Nolme itself. The vast complex was the
heart of the Arenul Ceen and had plenty of places for a mage to rest and
stay out of sight. At least till he was capable of walking on only two legs
again.

   A full day had passed since the metal lion had arrived and he had been
rudely changed into the form of a Cave lion. Until he could regain his
proper form the mage had to remain unseen.

   The male feline was laying on his back and looked at the new arrivals
without turning over and so he saw the prince and his guards upside down.
"Prince Caranthir. It's an honor to meet you." He started to turn over and
get up.

   Prince Caranthir V. Aegidius gave a wave of the hand. "This is an
informal meeting so please relax. Besides I'm not sure what is the proper
way for a large hunting cat to greet the Doyen of the Arenul Ceen."

   "Thank you," the feline said and relaxed a little but not completely.

   "That is an impressive body you have now." The prince said calmly as he
sat down in a chair by the door. One some twenty feet from the bed and its
feline occupant. "Can you change back to your human one?"

   "Yes," the feline growled. He was in the middle of the bed and settled
into a good sized collection of pillows that looked to be very comfortable.
"The spell involved was not powerful but it is impressively complex. It will
take me a while to unravel and understand it's inner workings. I could just
dispel it but I might want to use the spell again later. Also several mages
and scholars have asked to examine this body before I change back. It seems
this particular species has been extinct for seven or eight millennia."

   "Most interesting," the prince commented in a tone that sounded only
vaguely interested. "When did this happen?" He waved a hand at the feline.

   "It happened the moment I touched the lion," the feline answered. "It
took some effort to disable the spell. It was on the Sabercat and several
members of the Marigund guild were changed before they managed to control
the original spell. It seems they used it as a security measure. And a most
effective one."

   The nobleman took a pitcher off the table and poured some wine into a
silver goblet. The liquid was a dark green. Supposedly created from a
special fungus grown only in the distant south. "Certainly amusing but not
fatal. I would think they would use more deadly protection."

   "Agreed," the cat answered. "I was expecting spells a lot more deadly
than this. It got past my wards before  I was ready. It was a most ingenious
defense."

   "Indeed." He took a sip of the wine and was quiet for a moment. "I had a
visit today from high priest Cousinea today," the prince said without
looking up from the goblet he was holding. "He had some personal comments on
the commotion you created in Marigund."

   The feline mage winced. "That was unfortunate. The guild's security was
stronger than expected. We kept the damage to a minimum and avoided any
unnecessary injuries." His tail was flipping back and forth slowly. "It was
a simple theft. Albeit one of a large object."

  The prince looked up and stared at the feline with an intense glare. "And
was attacking the Guilds most secure vault part of your operation?"

   "Which vault do you mean?" The feline answered slowly. His tail came to a
halt and his body stiffened. "The lion was in a secured room but it was not
a vault."

   "I don't mean the lion. I mean THE vault. Their most secure vault," the
prince snarled, waving his hands. The wine in his goblet splashed over and
spilled onto the floor. "The legendary one everyone is always talking
about."

   "WHAT?" The massive feline snarled. He flipped over and stood up with a
lightning speed that belayed his great size. "The famous vault? The Marigund
guild's vault for its most dangerous items?"

   The prince leaned closer."Yes, that one," came the sarcastic answer.

   As the massive animal slowly climbed down off the bed the prince realized
just how big he really was. The feline weighed more than he and all three of
his guards combined. "Whose stupid idea was that?"

   "You did not order it?" The prince asked.

   "Of course not," the feline mage answered. "Why would I want any of the
obscenely dangerous items in the vault? It is the automata I am interested
in. I have spent my entire life studying automatia. You yourself authorized
the operation with the lion and nothing else. You were most specific on what
we could and could not do. We even managed to limit the damaged and injury.
And no one was killed."

   This was the answer the prince had expected from the mage. "This is not a
rumor or wild gossip. Headmaster Demarest himself helped defeat the attack.
All of Marigund is talking about it. High priest Cousinea personally asked
me about it."

   "Have the Lothanasi officially lodged a complaint?" The feline asked in a
soft tone filled with tension.

   "No," the prince answered. "Not yet. But they are of no doubt that we
were responsible for the attack. And my brother has already asked me to come
and explain the incident."

   "My prince," the feline said slowly and with great decorum. He understood
that in spite of his powerful body and considerable skill in magic he was
very close to being killed. "I do sincerely apologize for any embarrassment
caused by the operation to obtain the automaton. It was more messy than
expected. But I can assure you that never, ever would we have attempted to
enter the Guilds most secure Vault. I am all too well aware of the truly
dangerous items stored there."

   "Someone did," the prince answered coldly. "Someone openly attacked a
Guild mage with the intent to kill."

   "I can assure you my lord that never would I violate the royal decree
against violence towards the Marigund guild," he said solemnly. "And NEVER
would I even consider going after the Vault. There is nothing there I want.
And what would I want with all that dangerous junk? My people and I were
occupied with the theft of the lion. We could not have been involved in
attacking Master Demarest."

   "Then who was?" The prince said slowly.

   The massive feline shook his head. "I do not know my lord but we WILL
find out."

   "Of course. I have launched my own investigation into this as well." The
prince smiled as a thought occurred to him. "But to give you some added
incentive perhaps you should keep that form for a few more weeks."

   "Thank you my prince," the feline said. His true feelings and thoughts
were inscrutable like any feline's are.

End part 2