[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars III. Descensum (d)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Sep 17 08:11:17 UTC 2014

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars III: Descensum

(d)

Sunday, May 6, 708 CR

The ground was muddy and the air felt heavy after
the long night of rain. Thick clouds that seemed
at times to only barely surmount the mountains
flanking the valley promised more rain that day
but the morning was clear if cool. They would all
have enough time to return home before the skies
decided to soak their fur with another deluge,
but not if they dallied the morning away.

Charles stretched and then checked his attire for
dirt and stains. He brushed off the dirt from his
breeches and was grateful not to find any stains.
When he looked up, James was there with an intent
gaze, offering the rat his buckler and sword. “Good morning, Sir Charles.”

“Thank you, James,” he took the buckler and
sword, and then leaned the sword against the
wall. There were not many rooms for travelers to
spend the night at the Kingfisher's Brew, the
tavern that Christina and Lester operated
overlooking the lake not far from the barracks,
but they were comfortable and afforded them a
measure of privacy that they could not have
expected in the barracks. Charles and James had
taken their room together, as had Rickkter and
Kayla; Murikeer slept in a room by himself.
Dallar's men stayed in the barracks where they
were most comfortable. For a moment he wondered
if he would see them again before they returned to the Glen.

“Aren't you going to take your sword?” James
asked, staring between the blade propped against
the wall and the rat who'd put it there. There
was a vague look of alarm in his eyes.

“Not to Liturgy. It's Sunday and until we have a
priest in the Glen, this is the best I can do.”

The donkey lowered his ears and then bobbed his
head up and down as understanding dawned. “Of
course. I should have thought of that.” He began
unbuckling his own sword. “I guess we won't be breaking our fast right away.”

“No,” Charlies replied, feeling the donkey's eyes
stay on him the entire time. He walked to the
window and pushed the shutters out, letting the
cool morning air, damp but fresh after the rains
washed all of the streets clean. James was always
attentive, but why so much that morning?

Because you are the only one not yet touched by
Marzac. They will all be watching you, convinced
you are about to fall to the corruption.

He nodded to himself and took a deep breath. “I
asked Master Lester last night when Liturgy is
held here. We'll know once they ring the tower bells.”

“I hate bells,” James muttered under his breath. “Which tower?”

“Baron Barnhardt's. They're still repairing the
old church but it's in better shape than you'd
expect after seven years without a priest and two sieges!”

“That's right,” James nodded as he set his sword
on the bed and then redid his belt buckle. “I'd
forgotten you visited it with the Bishop just before the snowstorm and plague.”

His knees felt weak at the sense of loss and
barrenness that flooded his heart. So close... he
had come so close to losing the rest of his
family, crippled though it was already. He closed
his eyes and whispered a quick prayer for
strength. “Aye. Please don't mention the plague again.”

“It's been gone a month.”

“A month in which everyone manages to find some
excuse to tear me from my family!” He could not
hide the exasperation in his voice. “Misha,
Malisa, Marzac, not to mention strangers with
silly ideas that must be taught anew. Ah, forgive
me. I think I'm still tired from last night.”

“And sore?” James suggested. Charles gave him a
cross look at which the donkey laughed. “Sorry! I
won't mention that again either.”

But the rat felt a lightness returning and a soft
chuckle escaped his throat. “Rick and I probably
deserved it. We...” Both of their heads turned
when the clear ringing of the tower bells tolled,
rolling through the air with an authoritative
insistence as irresistible as the tide. Charles
smiled and stretched his arms behind his back. “It's time for Liturgy.”

----------

The Cathedral in Metamor had been provided by the
Keep itself, although given its many mysteries
there were some who wondered whether it had been
there all along but in wait for the time when it
would be needed. Charles had worshiped there many
times before his banishment to Glen Avery, and
apart from the ancient and vast expanse of the
affectionately named Sundial Cathedral in
Sondeshara – so called because the shadow of the
central spire swept out the hours of the day
along concentric circles marked in the brick for
each of the principal feast days of the year – he
had never seen a church grander in scope or
beautiful in glass, statue, and art.

The church in Lake Barnhardt was large enough to
accommodate the several hundred townsfolk,
farmers, fisherman, and shepherds living in the
surrounding countryside. Despite its vaulted
ceiling and pillars to support the vault that
divided the chamber into three ranks, with side
altars at either side of the arms of the cross
layout, and the addition of numerous tapestries
to illustrate where once frescoes had been
painted but since desecrated, Charles felt as if
he were in a small, modest church. This made the
Liturgy all the more intimate as he could clearly
hear Father Malvin intoning the prayers, even the
ones that were meant to be silent and which he
could never hear Father Hough chant.

That intimacy at some moments helped him feel a
deeper draw to the wellspring of grace that was
Yahshua his true lord and His blood spilled for
the salvation of souls. But at the same time he
felt somehow exposed in that smaller setting
where everyone could see everyone else. Though he
was known to the people of Lake Barnhardt he did
not know them as well as they knew each other. He
felt their eyes like fingers prodding him and
their whispers like needles jabbing him as he passed.

What were they studying? What was there to study?
His eyes ever strayed to the yew on which Yahshua
hung, face contorted in suffering, though no
complaint left those precious lips. A prayer
welled in his heart, eager to understand and
eager for the sort of peace he had once known.
But with so many watching him, he could not
concentrate and the prayer remained hidden
within. He bent as low as he could, kneeling not
so much to worship but to hide from the regard of
others. Even James at his side seemed to take
more notice of him than he did the priest.

Those eyes, those staring, probing, searching
eyes, scrapped him raw like a knife across a
fish's scales. What could they want from him?

Some, your land. Others, your prestige. And the
rest, to hound you until you break.

Charles was so wound tight, so pummeled by
glares, that he missed the Consecration and
Elevation, and had to be nudged by the donkey at
his side when it came time to come forward to
receive the Host. For a moment, kneeling before
the youthful priest – Malvin, though suffering
the same curse as Hough and a hand shorter,
managed to appear as if he were just old enough
to be admitted to orders – he felt a simple peace
and gratitude as his eyes lifted past his snout
to Yahshua nailed to the Yew. By the time he left
the altar railing and returned to his place, his
unease returned. He could not help but notice
everyone watching him as he moved, especially the
ones who weren't even looking at him.

He wasted no time in leaving the little church as
soon as the recession was complete.

You will not get far.

“Sir Charles,” a warbling voice called to him
from the front of the church. The rat turned and
saw a brightly dressed newt flanked by a pair of
ministers and a quartet of soldiers; one of the
ministers was a snake with a flat, diamond-shaped
head who appeared quite uncomfortable even in the
relatively moderate May weather. A human man
dressed in similar attire only a few paces behind
the newt watched the lakeland lord with uncertain
concern. The newt smiled, the effort stretching
his mottled brown and green flesh. Everything
about him had a damp look. “If you have a moment,
there was a matter I wished to discuss with you.”

James paused at his side and lifted his long
ears. He was glad the donkey chose to wait with
him. Still, they were but two in the face of
eight. “I am at your service, milord.”

Baron Robern Barnhardt smiled and with a wave of
plump, sticky fingers, stepped past the soldiers
and ministers on his way down the steps to the
mostly stone road in the center of his lakeside
city. Even the man who had been his wife before
the curses had forced them into chastity did not
move to follow them. Charles could not help but
feel suspicious. Had he been wearing his vine he
was sure it would have twisted to avoid the newt's slimy touch.

But Baron Barnhardt made no move to touch him,
merely gestured for him to walk alongside him
down beside the church where there were fewer
idle eyes. James started to follow but Charles
waved him back. If the baron would leave his
retinue behind, then he would give him the
courtesy of treating with him as man to man.

“Sir Charles,” Barnhardt added more softly in his
croaking voice. Standing at his side, he could
only look at the rat with one of his googly green
eyes. “You have distinguished yourself as one of
the finest warriors in the valley in the last two
years. You are well deserving of your title.”

“Thank you, milord.”

“And it is most agreeable to see another Follower
named a knight here in Metamor.” Barnhardt swept
a bulbous arm toward the church wall and
buttresses. “You are welcome here in my land as
often as you wish to come. I hope we see you and your family more often.”

His family. His heart ached to be with them again. All of them.

Charles nodded and did his best to smile. “You
are quite gracious, milord. This is a lovely city
and I hope we will be able to spend more time here.”

“I am glad to hear it! But,” the newt said, his
wide head tilting toward him, “there is something
distressing me about your knighthood.”

“The fief of the Narrows, perhaps?”

Barnhardt's green eyes and oblong pupils
narrowed. “The Narrows, indeed. That land does
not belong to Baron Avery to dispose of as he
wishes. It belongs to my family. My people have
used it for hunting and herding for generations.
It is unfortunate that he would bring you into the middle of our dispute.”

“I am not interested in your dispute.” Charles
let the smile vanish from his countenance. In its
place hardened a firm moue, with narrowed eyes.
The scar over his right eye folded with menace.
“I swore an oath of fidelity to Baron Avery and
have accepted responsibility for that land. I
will neither forsake nor shirk my duties to this
fief. If you wish to discuss arrangements for
your people to use this land, I am willing to
discuss them. But I am not going to discuss whose
family owns that land. As far as I am concerned
it is now mine to manage and protect.”

Barnhardt said nothing for several seconds as
they continued to walk alongside the church,
reaching the rear and turning the corner behind
it. The church blocked even the impression of the
sun through the clouds and so they were cast in a
permanent gloom that clung to the narrow street
like mold or rot. Charles felt a strange vulnerability.

But the newt's voice was affable, if obviously
disappointed. “You are frank and forthright and
for that I commend you. And for that I am
grateful. But my claims cannot be dismissed by
your oath; I am confident that you understand that.”

Charles took an extra step to hurry them to next
corner. Barnhardt matched him a moment later, his
wide face and oddly malleable lips souring for
just a moment. “Do what you think is right and
proper,” Charles suggested as they stepped back
into the wan light on the other side. “I will do
the same. But until the day that I learn that the
Narrows are not my fief, I will defend them from
all who would despoil them. That is my oath, Baron Barnhardt.”

“I expect nothing less.” The newt flexed his
fingers and his frown deepened. “But for now I
fear you will have to excuse me; even on a day as
damp as this my skin is drying out again.” He
turned to face Charles with both eyes. “I
sincerely hope that when next we speak we will
have more pleasant things to say. For now we know
where each other stands. I bid you a good day and
a safe journey home. Eli's blessings be with you.”

The tone was civil and genuine so Charles could
only respond in kind. He waited for the Baron,
his wife, soldiers, and ministers to leave the
church yard together. The snake minister cast a
look over his shoulder as he slithered across the
tightly-fit stones, but Barnhardt paid him no
more mind. Charles ground his incisors together
and wished he had a chewstick with him. Instead
he bit the corner of his sleeve and gnawed at the
cloth, quickly tearing a gash in the cuff.

James gave him a querulous glance when the rat
returned. “It's nothing to worry about. The Baron
wished to discuss my responsibilities as a knight on the border of his lands.”

“You don't look like you enjoyed what the baron had to say.”

Charles gave the donkey his best smile and
gestured to the road that led to their Inn. “Let
us talk of more pleasant things then, such as
breaking our fast and heading home.”

James offered him no objection.