[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars III. Descensum (e)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Sep 18 20:41:25 UTC 2014

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars III: Descensum

(e)

Sunday, May 6, 708 CR

On returning to the Inn, Charles and James gathered their things and
their horses. After a short meal of plank-seared fish they bid
farewell to their friends, none of whom had yet returned to Metamor
along the soggy and mud-ridden roads, and then joined with Murikeer
the mage who was also on his way back to the Glen. The three of them
rode out of the Barnhardt gates beneath a gray sky. The city and the
surrounding lands were quiet with all the Followers safe in their
homes for their Sunday rest. The loudest sound was the sucking mud at
their horses' hooves. Even the song of birds was muted as if they
warbled from beneath the lake instead of flitting from tree to tree
at its shore.

Murikeer was content to ride in silence as Charles would have been,
but James seemed to feel the need to fill the air with his
discommodious discourse. "Do you think we'll arrive at the Glen
before the rain soaks us to the bone?"

The skunk lifted his monochromatic snout, while like-hued tail bushed
behind him from the dampness in the air. "Last night's storm is still
in the air, but it may spare us yet. Yonder trees will provide some cover."

Charles nodded as they followed the road up the slowly rising slope
into the hills overlooking the lake. Fields stretched on either side
with farms and flocks, while forests penetrated from the cracks in
the hills. To the east the land did not rise with the road but rolled
gently beneath a canopy of trees beginning to grow their summer
green. By the time they reached the Glen the land would fall away
sharply to the east, but for now the tops of the trees were still above them.

"Did you sleep well, master Murikeer?"

"Bad dreams did not trouble my sleep, if that is what you mean."

James's ears lowered, while Charles frowned. The skunk's words seemed
to suggest that something else had bothered him. Though his wife knew
Murikeer better than he, he'd never known the talented young man to
be evasive in his speech.

"I still see the bell sometimes." The donkey's expression was filled
with a loathing and an anger that only a man besotted and betrayed
could understand.

"Did you see it last night?" Charles asked. He hadn't recalled
hearing the donkey toss or turn.

"Aye, but only once. I don't know when it was. I laid staring at the
ceiling for an hour, I think, before I fell back asleep." A
self-conscious look of embarrassment filled his eyes; he flecked his
supple lips as if cursing himself. "But they're just nightmares;
they're nothing you need frighten yourself over."

"Marzac should frighten us all very much," Murikeer pointed out. "Is
it possible the bell is not wholly destroyed?"

"It didn't feel the same." James' ears bobbed from the back of his
head all the way to their tallest pose and back again before falling
lazily outward from the sides of his head. "When I saw it before I
was enchanted by its power and by its claims to want to help me.
Now... now it feels like a menace thwarted but with no more power to
do me harm. It's like a lone Lutin screaming from the other side of a
gorge; there's not a lot it can do except give voice to hate."

"Let us hope then, that you are right." Murikeer blinked and stared
at the end of his snout. Charles narrowed one eye, and then felt a
drop bounce off his ear, cool and wet. He folded his ears back close
against his head and lifted his snout to the sky. James and Murikeer
followed his lead.

"I fear we are not going to escape a drenching. Those trees ahead
should give us shelter, unless some spell of yours can keep us dry."

Murikeer stretched one paw out to test the air while shaking his
head. "I cannot keep all the rain out, but beneath the trees I should
be able to spare us what slips through their boughs."

"Then let us make as much haste as we dare." So saying, Charles
nudged Malicon, encouraging the pony to walk a little faster through
the muddy hillocks in the center of the lane. James and Murikeer fell
behind him along the somewhat drier path where wagon wheels had not
churned the earth. The patter of rain drops brushed snout, ears,
tails, and steeds.

--------

The morning rain did not even last an hour, but the trio waited it
out beneath a copse of trees at the top of a hillrise. Lake Barnhardt
was not quite a mile to the south so they spent the time hiding
beneath a spell of the skunk's to keep them dry as they watched the
rain lather the lake. It rippled beneath the gentle pelting from the
skies, rocking the many boats who still plied her waters. But the
shower was over soon enough and they continued on their way, slow as
it was through the muck and fresh mud.

By the noon hour they reached the lands that Baron Barnhardt claimed
as his own but which belonged to Charles to administer. A grim smile
played across his snout as he swept one arm across the vista to their
west. Short cliffs rose to the north, while rolling hills framed the
entrance to a combe that spread out as it neared the mountains. The
deepening gloom of the sky made it difficult to see the mountains,
but he knew they were there.

"This is now my land. One day I will build a fortress here and
merchants from Metamor will find safe passage all the way to Hareford at last."

"That is rather ambitious," Murikeer noted, riding a little closer to
get a better view. "I thought you loved your home in the Glen."

"I do." Charles leaned back in the saddle and then repositioned his
tail with his free arm. Malicon's slow but heavy gait rocked his tail
back and forth atop the pony's flanks. "But this is my responsibility
now." In a quiet voice he added, "No matter what Barnhardt thinks."

"Is that what the Baron was arguing with you about?" James asked, his
eyes searching the land that now belonged to his friend.

"Aye. He still claims it belongs to his family. I am sure at some
point that this matter will go before Duke Thomas to be resolved. I
am confidant that his grace will recognize my claim."

No one could deny your claims.

"I have heard a little of this dispute," Murikeer cautioned, laying a
conciliatory paw on the rat's arm. "It has persisted for as long as
any Glenner can remember. I do not think it will be resolved in one
day." Charles glanced down at the slender fingers resting upon his
wrist, each tipped with a narrow but surprisingly stout claw in dire
need of a file's touch.

"Probably not," Charles admitted, frowning at those claws when he
considered that his own were very similar, and in a similar state of
roughness. Surveying his property had lent him to use his claws,
rendering them ragged, but he imagined that Murikeer had less cause
for his claws to be in such a sorry state. "But after all I have done
for Metamor, I cannot imagine he would not recognize my claim."

"For Baron Avery, to whom you have sworn your sword." The skunk
tightened his grip reflexively as his mount swayed to step over a log
fallen across the trail. Charles felt the touch of sharp claws
pressing into fur. With a short twitch he pulled his arm free and
then let out a hiss when, as he had feared, sharp claws and soft
flesh disagreed with the motion.

"Ahh, ouch! Ware your claws!" He drew in his injured wrist with a
glare down at the welling of blood from the small gash. "You've cut
me, Murikeer."

The young mage's ears backed in consternation as he, too, gazed at
the dark blood staining Charles' fur. "Forgive me. I still tend to
forget how sharp my claws get if I don't file them regularly."
Murikeer produced a white cloth from his satchel and reached for
Charles' bleeding wrist. In softer words the skunk added, "I fear you
are too confidant; the tangle of claims on this land is thick and his
grace may be loath to offend his vassals by choosing against them. I
am just advising you be cautious and restrain your confidence and
your ambition. Please, let me clean that for you."

Charles relented and allowed the skunk to dab the small blot of blood
at the top of his wrist. The wound stung, but it was no more serious
than the many cuts he'd received just from forging paths through the
tangle of trees and culverts on his land in the last month. When the
skunk was finished cleaning the wound, he wrapped the cloth around a
small stone and returned all of it to his satchel with a care that
seemed unusual.

You should worry about what mischief Murikeer intends. He's
suspicious of you; they all suspect you. They are wrong, you are not that weak.

Charles ran his furless fingers across the wound and scowled for a
moment before turning his gaze back to his land. "Your concern is, I
confess, well-placed. But until I hear otherwise from Duke Thomas, I
must do what I know to be right and proper, and to fulfill my duties
to the land I have been granted as my fief. Have you not also begun
to repair and rebuild the place that Baron Avery bequeathed to you?"

"That is different," Murikeer noted with a faint laugh. "No one else
claims my lands as their own."

"We shouldn't argue," James suggested, head tilted back and gazing at
the sky. The clouds above churned and continued to darken. "We're
going to get more rain soon."

Charles noted the sky and twitched his whiskers. "Then let us
continue. My lands can wait for another day." Murikeer offered no
argument. Holding one hand to his satchel to keep it from bouncing he
urged his mount to a quicker pace. A shimmer hung in the air above
them coaxing the patter of drizzle to fall a short distance away from
them as they followed the flanks of the young mage's mount. The
sucking of mud at hooves and the heavens grumbling was all they heard
for the next hour.

--------

The rain returned in earnest shortly before they reached the Glen,
shrouding all but the nearest trees behind a gray, hissing pall that
not even Murikeer's magic could entirely keep at bay. His magic was
aided by the limbs of the trees towering overhead to shield them from
most of the downpour but they were still damp by the time they
dismounted and went their separate ways. James asked the rat if he
needed him for anything but Charles demurred, assuring him that he
just wanted to spend the rest of the day with his family and that,
the skies depending, they could resume their exploration of his land
on the morrow.

He stabled Malicon and took a few minutes to clean some of the mud
from his pony's hooves and hocks. Thankfully the hay and oats he'd
stored there the day before were still fresh. While Malicon
gratefully sated his hunger, Charles removed his gear and cleaned
them as Sir Saulius had taught him. He felt some measure of peace in
the performance of such simple acts. Being a knight meant that his
was a warrior's life and a leader's life. He did not need to skulk in
darkness nor pass unnoticed in the brush. But he did need to have a
union, a partnership even, with a horse.

That thought made him smile and step to where Malicon fed. The roan
pony lifted his head and stretched his neck toward the rat, a
confident gleam in his eyes. Charles stepped closer with a pleased
laugh, wrapping his arms around the pony's neck even as his long head
pressed into the rat's back. "Thank you, my friend. I should go see
my family now."

Malicon whickered and lipped his shoulder, biting him there
affectionately. He gently pushed the pony off and then stroked one
paw down his neck a few times. "Enough of that now, Malicon. We will
ride again tomorrow."

His pony did not make him linger any further and so Charles braved
the rain one last time, racing from the stables to the door of his
home between the roots of the redwood. He felt the squish of mud
between his toes, and felt it sink beneath his claws. But the warmth
beyond his door made him forget such discomforts immediately.

"Charles, your home!" his wife exclaimed with delight as she stood up
from her needlework beside the hearth. A pleasant fire burned within
casting a burnished glow about the room. Four of his five children
scampered about the floor in some game of their own devising. The
fifth was not there. His heart shuddered and his knees trembled as he
remembered that his fifth would never be there. How could he have
forgotten that?

You never were able to say goodbye.

Charles pushed that thought aside to bend down and scoop his four
living children in his arms as he stood in the doorway, rain slashing
behind him and soaking his tail which had not yet slipped through. A
chorus of delighted squeaks filled his ears and he nuzzled each in
turn, whiskers amidst whiskers, their bright eyes filled with his face.

"Oh, I am so happy to see you all!" he exclaimed as he lifted them
off the floor in his arms. Their legs and tails dangled in the air,
the latter trying to curl about his chest as their feet dug into his
wet tunic for some purchase. "My you have grown so much since I saw
you yesterday morning!"

"Get the monsters, Dada?" Erick asked with an excited squeak.

"Did you?" little Charles chimed in, paws gripping his shoulder with
a boisterous energy.

"Aye, we defeated the monsters and kept everyone safe. They made a
satisfying whump when they hit the floor! Which is what I'm going to
do to each of you!"

They squealed excited delight as he swung them down toward the wooden
floor quick enough that their head and ears almost brushed the
elk-skin rug at their feet. Tails prodded his chest and sides as they
frantically sought purchase. He slipped his arms back and dropped
them one by one onto the floor from the mighty height of a single
hand. As their tail and rear struck the rug and warm wood beneath
they offered another excited squeak that would have made a normal
human's ears hurt. But for rats it was just one more chorus of family life.

"Dada, my pretty dress," little Bernadette said, even as she lay on
her back, paws gripping the edge of the green kirtle she bore. Little
Baerle bore the same kirtle in blue. His two of three sons were each
wearing short leggings that came to their hocks, with loose-fitting
tunics that they would grow out of over the next few months, both of
a similar plain brown fabric.

"Oh it is very pretty, Bernadette," he replied, leaning forward to
apply a gentle kiss with the top of his snout atop her head. He then
turned to Baerle who had rolled into a seated position, little paws
holding the tip of her tail as if it were a stuffed doll. He stroked
the back of her head and then kissed her too. "And you look very
pretty too, Baerle."

"I love you, Dada," Baerle said, her soft blue eyes filled with joy.

Charles felt as if he should burst into tears. His children loved him
dearly and he them. It ought to be enough to sooth the loss of the
one, but he knew his arms could hold more, his ears should hear more,
and his heart should capture more than just the four before him. He
hid the tears that wanted to blossom from his eyes by grasping all
four of his little ones remaining in his arms again and hugging them
close. "Oh, I love you all too!"

Of course he heard Kimberly rise from her needlework, but he still
enjoyed the gentle touch of her hand on his back, the soft prick of
her claws, and a hush of her breath against the back of his ears.
"Welcome home, Charles. I will bring a wash basin for your muddy paws."

"Thank you, my lady. And something hot to eat. All of this rain has
chilled me."

Kimberly brushed her snout against his and he leaned into the touch.
Then she patted their children on the head before making her way to
the kitchen. Charles set his children down again and leaned back to
keep from toppling his muddy paws and ankles onto the clean floor.
"Now why don't you fi... four go and find a place to hide. Once your
mother has helped me clean my paws, I am going to come find you!"

They squeaked their delight at the idea and scampered off around the
room and then up the stairs toward their rooms. He took a deep breath
and laughed. Only yesterday, for a few hours, he had been nearly that
young in body and mind. A bit stronger still thanks to his Sondeck,
but just as mischievous and prone to trouble. At least his rump
wasn't sore from the spanking anymore. That would be a trifle
embarrassing to explain.

Kimberly returned a moment later carrying a small basin filled with
water and a towel over her shoulder. He sat down and dipped his feet
in the water, scrubbing the mud from his toes and claws, then dried
each with the towel. She watched him and in a quiet voice asked, "Why
were you needed?"

"Jessica planted a hyacinth; the corruption of Marzac nearly took
her. But we arrived in time, the hyacinth was destroyed, and all is
well again. We couldn't be told why we needed to come or we would
have forgotten to do so. That was the power of the hyacinth. But it
is gone now."

"Marzac. I hate that place. It has done such terrible things to us."

Its power is broken now.

"Its power is broken now," Charles said with a quick nod. "And for
that we can all be grateful."

She sighed in relief and wrapped her arms about his chest. Her head
rested on his shoulder. "I feared for you."

He sighed with a smile and put his hands on her arms and held her
close. "I am fine. I fear always for you and our children when I must
go. I will make sure you and they will always be safe."

"We are safe here at the Glen," Kimberly replied, an unasked question
in her voice.

"I know. But I have my new lands to tend. One day we will live there,
and I will make sure that we will all be safe there too."

She smiled and stroked one hand down between his ears. "Go find your
children before they get into mischief. I will ready you something
warm to eat."

He pulled her into a tight embrace and then the two of them stood up
together. "I love you, my lady."

"I love you too."

They held each other for a few more seconds before they stepped
apart. Kimberly opened the door and flung the muddy water out of the
washbasin, before shutting it and carrying basin and towel back to
the kitchen. Charles stepped toward his armor tree and removed the
sword at his side, though he would wait until he had rounded up his
children before removing his mail shirt.

"Here I come!" he shouted up the stairs, taking them one at a time,
left hand brushing along the wooden wall, eyes bright with the game.

Remember, you only need to find four children, not five.

He nodded to himself, his smile faltering a moment as he climbed the steps.