[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars III. Descensum (h)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Sep 21 13:13:05 UTC 2014

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars III: Descensum

(h)

Monday, May 7, 708 CR

Charles gestured to the mountains rising up sharply from the end of
the shallow combe into which the Narrows fed. Beside him James
admired the hills and the rocky promontory between the mountains.
"What do you think?" Charles asked him as he shifted about in his
saddle to keep his tail straight. They stood a-horsed on the top of
the southern ridge overlooking the combe and the culvert that climbed
into the mountains. Pines, aspen, birch, and larch clung in patches
to every hillside except for a bare patch of rock thrust outward from
the promontory.

"It looks like it will be difficult to get to," James noted with a
frown. His long ears fell back along his mane. "This looks like a
terrible place for a road." His lips stretched toward the shallow
combe beneath them which ran eastward from the promontory.

"The walls here are shallow enough civil engineers can level this
ground. We shall want to cut these trees back anyway to keep out
brigandage. The wood will be good for homes tools, and fires. The
land can then be cultivated."

"It's going to be a lot of work," James noted, his frown deepening.

"I know. I'm hoping to convince Gibson to come out this way tomorrow
to help plan the work."

"Gibson? The frog? I thought he was just a merchant."

Charles grinned around his incisors and patted the donkey on the
shoulder. "That's the idea. He can help estimate costs. He also knows
a thing or two about good roads and homes so he can help draw up some
of the plans. I can then discuss those plans and estimates with
Julian who can help me determine how to finance everything! But, if
we can find the money, what do you think of that promontory? It seems
ripe for a stone keep to me."

James stared at the promontory nestled at the base of two mountains
and overlooking the end of the combe through the middle of the
Narrows. At one time it may have been a route for water, but now it
was more a shallow ditch that cut across the western half of
Matthias' contested lands. To its north the ground gradually rose
until reaching the towering redwoods of the Glen. To its south the
hills dwindled until they flattened out at the edge of Lake
Barnhardt. After only a month of study, Charles knew that this was by
far the best defensive position in all the Narrows.

He also liked the idea of it being at the foot of the Dragon
Mountains; perhaps later he could ask the stone's permission to shape
it into a home and fortress for his family and those who would come
to live on his fief.

But the donkey could only shrug. "I suppose once you clear out those
trees you can. I'm sorry, Charles, I'm not very good at this."

"You didn't think you were good at swinging a sword a year ago
either," the rat pointed out with a short laugh. James appeared to
blush at the praise. "I want you to imagine this area leveled out and
cleared, imagine it as if you were a rider coming up this new road.
Before your amazed eyes you glimpse the stone wall there sectioned
into an inner and outer bailey, towers spaced so they can see and
reach everything about, with both mountains rising up on either side
like giant ears, and between them a keep standing like a diadem atop
a crown. Just imagine it."

"That does sound impressive, Charles. It will take years!"

The rat laughed again. "As I've promised to Lady Kimberly! She is not
ready to leave the Glen yet so that keep had best take several years
to complete or she'll skin me and use me as a rug!"

The bizarre image made James chuckle with a short bray. But the laugh
was cut short by the sound of something small coming through the
brush to their south. Rat and donkey turned to watch as a lamb, no
more than five months old, ambled out of the woods and began sampling
a patch of clover. James blinked and stared into the woods. "Where
did he come from?"

Charles grimaced and relaxed his grip on the hilt of his sword.
"There are meadows south of here. It must be a Lakelander shepherd."

Scare him away.

He ground his molars together, and dragged his sword from its
scabbard as loudly as he could. The screech of metal startled the
lamb who bleated in alarm and backed up, eyes wide and ears back in
fear. Charles nudged Malicon forward; the pony, uncertain, obeyed his
command and began stomping his hooves.

James hissed in surprise. "What are you doing?"

"Scaring him," Charles snapped. "He needs to learn not to leave his
flock, and that foolish shepherd needs to learn to take better care
of his charges!" He waved his sword in the air and screamed at the
lamb. The lamb bleated all the louder, now too frightened to even
move, little hooves rooted in the clover patch.

"Charles!" James replied, a strange sort of defiance in his voice.
"Stop that! It's just a lamb."

"And it will be a dead lamb if doesn't return to its flock!" Charles
swung one leg across and jumped from Malicon's back. He then jumped
forward, swinging the sword down and to the lamb's side. James also
jumped from his steed, but instead of coming to his friend's aid, he
grabbed the rat by the wrist when he raised his blade again.

"It's just a lamb!"

You are right, but show deference to your friend. The lamb is scared enough.

Charles grimaced but nodded. "You're right. I'm getting a little
carried away." He sheathed his blade and lowered his eyes to the lamb
who still bleated in terror. At least it learned never to leave the
flock again. But what of the shepherd?

As if in answer to his question they both lifted their heads when a
much heavier tread shuffled through the trees and brush, emerging a
moment later. A broad shouldered bull with dark-gray hide, sallow
eyes and a weight of years equal to their own stepped forward with a
crook in one hand and a frightened expression on his snout. He did
not even seem to see the rat and donkey, kneeling down and scooping
the lamb into his arms crooning, "There you are, little Ewar. Where
were you off to? You are safe now."

The lamb continued to bleat for a few seconds, eyes never leaving
Charles as he scooted with his hooves deeper into the bull's arms.
But the bull's gentle stroking along the lamb's back calmed him quickly.

Charles straightened and slipped his hand from James's distracted
grip. "Good afternoon," he said with a nod to the bull who towered
over him. "I am Sir Charles Matthias and these are my lands. Who
might you be, good shepherd?"

The bull had his snout lowered to his chest as he consoled the lamb.
His gaze rose slowly and stared at the rat as if surprised to see
him. "My name is Silvas, milord. This is Ewar. How may we be of service?"

"I suggest you maintain better control over your flock. You are
fortunate your lamb found us and not a wolf pack."

"Thank you, milord." Silvas ran the thick nail of his thumb beneath
the lamb's chin. "Saved a second time."

James blinked. "A second time?"

"Ewar nearly died at birth, milord. But your servant warmed him in
the cold." The lamb bleated contentedly now.

He is on your land.

"These are my lands, Master Silvas. What are you doing here?"

Silvas's reply was bereft of pretense. "Pasturing the flock; I have
always pastured them here in the Narrows. My father did too, and his
father before him." His voice was slow and heavily accented in the
manner of the meanest commoners who had little education and, likely,
even less comport with others to smooth out the roughness of their
speech. The bull, Charles could tell, had shared more words with his
flock than he ever had with people. He replied slowly, confused by
the inquiry as if his presence in the Narrows was as any other rock
or tree; a part of the land. Charles' questions struck him the same
as they may have were he questioning a tree about its presence in a forest.

He is on your land.

Charles grimaced and narrowed his eyes. "Are you a Lakelander?"

"Aye, though I only see the lake when I bring the flock for
shearing." Ewar kicked his legs a moment as if something had startled
him. Silvas frowned and whispered soothing words to the lamb to calm
him. "Pardon my, milord. If you have no need of me, I should return
to my flock." He touched the knuckle of his free hand to his brow and
bobbed his head toward the unexpected visitors.

"These are my lands now," Charles cautioned the bull. "Return to your
flock. We will discuss this again later. Good day to you."

Silvas nodded to them both and, carrying the lamb in his arms,
disappeared back into the woods, lowing a wordless tune to call his
flock. Charles watched him go for a moment before shaking his head
and turning back to Malicon who was also sampling the clover. "James,
is there something wrong?"

"I cannot believe you just did that." The donkey murmured with a
scowl, his tall ears splayed back. Narrowing his eyes James tilted
his head and peered at his friend. "Charles, are you hearing voices."

Nay, of course not.

"Nay, of course not."

"Is there something you can't let go of? Like my bell or Kayla's swords?"

He could not help but think of the vine. But the vine's call he had
resisted. "There's nothing. James, it is not Marzac, if that is what
you fear. I just... I made the wrong choice with the lamb. You were
right, I shouldn't have threatened him; he should have run away
instead of cowering. At least his bleating brought Silvas."

James flecked his lips and lowered his ears, his posture relaxing.
"You scared me." He waved one hand toward the undergrowth through
which Silvas had disappeared. "There are peasants throughout the
land, Charles. They've been here, likely for generations. Before the
Curse, before Nasoj, and certainly before you and Lord Avery's gift
of this fief." The donkey exhorted with a frown. "You should not
mistreat them just because their homestead was already here."

He will tell the others. They will become suspicious of you.

Charles nodded and then lowered his snout at the rebuke. "I had not
seen him during my earlier surveys. I was simply surprised, that was
all. It won't ever happen again." He grabbed the saddle and reins and
hauled himself atop Malicon. "Let us head back for the day. I think
we have been out here long enough."

And all the while they rode back, in silence but for the clopping of
hooves and the snapping of branches, Charles felt the donkey's eyes
boring into him. He simmered and hunched, wishing for some excuse to
make his friend go away.