[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars III. Descensum (j)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Wed Sep 24 00:52:31 UTC 2014

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars III: Descensum

(j)

Tuesday, May 8, 708 CR

It was midday before a pair of wagons arrived
from Metamor bearing his companions on the
journey to Marzac. In addition to Jessica and
Kayla there was Rickkter whose expression at
being carted for five hours was as sour as swamp
water, and another skunk whose expression
couldn't have been happier. In fact, Charles
recalled, he had never seen the archer Berchem
with as broad and genuine a smile as he bore now on his return home.

Charles, James, and Garigan met them in the
commons. The rat smiled and waved as they rode
in. James waved as well until he saw Berchem; the
donkey then scowled and crossed his arms. “Too bad, they fixed him.”

“You know he'll never go near Baerle again,” Charles chided gently.

“That doesn't mean I have to like him.” James dug
one hoof in the soft earth. “Or forgive him.”

“You don't want to be the jealous man the bell tried to make you either.”

James lowered his ears at the rebuke, but after a
moment to stew he began to nod his head. “In
sooth.” And then more quietly he muttered, “He'd better not join us.”

Berchem and Rickkter took the lead on the horse
drawing each wagon while Jessica and Kayla rushed
to greet them. The hawk's golden eyes sparkled
with delight and she enfolded the rat and then
the donkey within her wings, beak rubbing against
their snouts in a warmth that she did not usually
express. “It is so good to see you both again! I
cannot tell you how much I owe you both. These
last few days... it is like I am newly hatched!”

Charles laughed as he picked out a black feather
that had caught in his mail shirt. “I do not
believe you were hatched a first time.” Both Garigan and Kayla chuckled.

“How are you doing, Charles?” Kayla asked as she gave him a quick embrace.

“I am feeling all right. It is good to have my
friends here in the Glen for once! Now you know
what James and I feel like every other Tuesday having to trek down to Metamor.”

Kayla cast a glance at the raccoon leading a
horse and wagon toward the Mountain Hearth. “And
poor Rick has to return in a few hours! It's why
we opted for two wagons. Jessica and I plan to
stay the night and return in the morning. Where's Murikeer?”

“At the Mountain Hearth seeing to a private room
for us to meet. We should join him there once we're ready.”

Berchem angled along the commons so that he came
a short distance from them. His smile faded some
when he saw the donkey, but he quickly returned
his glance to the rat. “Sir Charles, I have you
and James to thank as well for my rescue from my own stupidity.”

“All gratitude should go to Weyden,” Charles
replied with a shake of his head. “In sooth we did very little that day.”

“He has my gratitude and more. As do you both.
Forgive me for what I have ever said about either
of you.” The skunk lifted his gaze to James and
his eyelids lowered in shame. “And anything I
ever said about Baerle.” He grimaced and cast his
eye down. “Or did to her.” His long,
monochromatic tail danced behind his head a
moment, assaulting them with the faintest whiff
of his potent musk. “Sir Charles, where might I
find Baron Avery? I wish to return to service
here; I expected to see him on our arrival.”

“Baron Avery is up north in Hareford discussing
defense of the northern woods and the Gateway
with Nestorius and Sir Dupré. He should be
returning late tomorrow or Thursday morning if it rains again.”

Berchem nodded. “Jessica, Kayla, I will secure
the wagon and horse and then I will journey to
Hareford myself. Thank you for allowing me to accompany you back.”

Jessica extended a wing toward him even though he
was well out of reach. “It was our pleasure,
Berchem. Travel safely and may all the gods smile
on you.” The skunk smiled, nodded his head to
them, and continued after the raccoon.

James scuffed a hoof and glowered after him until
Garigan nudged him in the ribs. The donkey brayed
in surprise, and then turned to their friends and
stammered, “Well, um, I'm sure Master Muri has a
room prepared for us. You must be, uh, famished
after your trip. Master Jurmas makes excellent
food and should have some prepared too.”

Kayla laughed and gave the embarrassed donkey a
hug. “Lead on then. It is good to be together again.”

As they walked Charles cast a sidelong glance at
the glowering raccoon. “Rick, why didn't you mask
him?” He asked in a quiet aside when they were
closer. Rickkter glanced up with a twitch of his
ears and one eyebrow. “His scent?” Charles cupped
his paw over his nose, the acrid scent still
hung, subtly in the air. The raccoon's eyes glinted with pure mischief.

“What, you think I didn't?” His ringed tail
twitched and flicked and the gleam of sharp teeth
flashed past the gray and black fur of his
muzzle. “At least, for our benefit, if a little
does get past the spell now and then.”

Charles blinked as he stewed on that for a
moment. “You masked him for us, but not himself?”

Rickkter shook his head. “Nope. He can stew in
his own stink, as far as I care. At least until
he's far, far downwind and the spell fades.”

----------

While the extensive caverns in which Lars brewed
his many beers, ales, and wines were more fitting
for clandestine encounters, there were a few
private rooms in the Mountain Hearth that were
far more comfortable, well-lit, warm, and easier
to find. Murikeer, who was very good friends with
the proprietor of the Inn, and James who worked
for him a few days a week, had no trouble
arranging for the use of the most private. They
had only to shutter the windows and cast a few
incantations to keep their words from falling on idle ears.

James and Jurmas brought platters of food for
them to enjoy; once the clopping of Jurmas'
cloven hooves receded down the hall, Rickkter
shut the door and barred it with a quick spell.
“There, now we won't be disturbed.” The raccoon
glowered at the rat who sat down in the center of
the long table and sampled a wedge of cheese.
“So, what's this I hear about you showing signs of Marzac?”

It was a misunderstanding.

“It was a misunderstanding,” Charles began after
setting the sharp cheddar down on his plate.
Garigan sat next to him on his right with a warm
concern in his face. James stood on the other
side of the table passing out plates and bowls
for everyone. Jessica perched next to him and
across from Garigan, while Kayla sat on the other
side. Murikeer reclined at the rat's left with a
warm biscuit in his paws, which his one eye
studied in between glances at Charles.

And a mistake on your part.

“And a mistake on my part,” Charles continued
with a long sigh. “Yesterday, James and I were
exploring the Narrows, the strip of land between
the Glen and the Lakeland that is my fief. While
there we encountered a young lamb and no sign of
any shepherd. I dismounted, drew my sword, and
proceeded to frightened the creature.”

You hoped to alert the shepherd with its cries
and to teach it never to leave its flock again.

Charles grimaced at the look of shock in both
Jessica and Kayla's eyes. Rickkter narrowed his
while Murikeer merely twitched the tip of his
striped tail. “I hoped to alert the shepherd with
its cries, which is exactly what happened. I also
hoped to frighten it enough that it would learn
never to leave its flock again. That remains to be seen.”

“Seems like an effective tactic to me,” Rickkter
mused with a grunt. Kayla jabbed him in the side with a claw.

“That's a horrible thing to do to a poor little lamb!”

“Lambs that wander away get eaten. He's lucky it
was Charles who found him and not some wolf pack.”

“I said the same thing yesterday,” Charles noted.

Murikeer grinned, little fangs revealed beneath
his jowls. “Is the world coming to an end or did
you two just agree about something?”

The raccoon grimaced but made no rejoinder. “I am
merely saying that it does not sound as if this
is enough to conclude Charles is under the sway
of Marzac.” His eyes narrowed as he turned on
Charles. “But it is enough to give us pause.
Threatening a lamb, no matter how good for it,
does not seem your way, O rat knight.”

They would not trust you anyway. You are the only
one who has not been corrupted. They expect it of you.

“I'm the only one here, of those of us who
journeyed south, who hasn't felt Marzac's touch,”
Charles pointed out as he picked bits of cheese
loose from the wedge. He rolled a morsel the size
of a knuckle back and forth between his claws.
“Anything I do, any lapse of judgment I make, any
of it, is going to be suspicious. Maybe I just made the wrong decision.”

“Perhaps,” Jessica said with a slow nod. She
offered Kayla an avian smile when the skunk cut
free a bit of freshly cooked salted beef and set
it on her plate. “But we have to be sure. We've all felt what Marzac did.”

“Most of us,” James corrected.

“Most of us, aye. We felt it. We know how
horrible it truly is. It's going to poison your
mind against us and everyone else close to you. I
know I didn't trust any of you by the end; I
thought I knew better and yet I still fought when
you tried to stop me. If Marzac is corrupting
you, then it will convince you that we cannot be
trusted. Please, Charles. Trust us.”

She's right. Tell them everything.

Charles popped the cheese in his snout and
nodded. “You're right. And that means first I
need to apologize to you, James.” He turned to
the donkey and gripped his shoulder with a warm,
humble smile. “I was irritated by your concern
the other day. I thought you were being overly
nosy and suspicious of me and I let it get the
better of me. Please forgive me. You were just trying to protect me.”

James's ears lifted in surprise, and then lowered
a little to either side, dark eyes relaxing in
delight. His supple lips spread with aplomb and
he gripped the rat's shoulder in his hoof-like
hands. “Forgiven, Sir Charles. I am honored to be
your friend. You were there for me when Marzac
tore my soul apart. I'm here for you.”

“Thank you.” He tightened his grip and then
turned back to the rest. “I suppose I should say
that there is a weight on my heart that has not
gone away ever since we returned. My boy Ladero.
He was a Sondecki like Garigan and I, and I told
you all many times on our journey to Marzac how
much I looked forward to training him in the
years ahead. But I am not alone in suffering. My
wife still weeps for him too. The night we
returned she wept for him. It is... it is a terrible thing to lose a son.”

He felt a tear dripping down his cheeks. He
rubbed them with his sleeve. “Forgive me.”

Kayla stretched out one arm and laid her paw on
his. “We understand, Charles. It is terrible.”

“Is it tempting you?” Rickkter asked, his eyes
focused on him and at the same time turned elsewhere. “Your dead son, that is.”

Charles shrugged. “Trying to undo his death is
exactly what Marzac would want me to do. I cannot change the past.”

You have said enough to assure them. Let them debate amongst themselves.

The rat took a deep breath and then picked up the
wedge of cheese. “Well, that's all I can think to
say. Have you been studying me magically?” This
he asked of both Murikeer and Rickkter.

The skunk nodded, his snout set in an unpleasant
moue. “Studying and finding nothing.”

“We saw nothing on anyone else either,” Rickkter
pointed out. “It doesn't mean anything.”

Charles ate the cheese quietly as the mages
discussed ways they might test for the taint of
Marzac. Both Jessica and Kayla offered their
opinions on what the taint felt like while they
had suffered it. Charles listened carefully to
their description of a presence that had
inhabited them, one that counseled at first and
then controlled them so that they surrendered
their very will to that other. Kayla shuddered as
she recounted the voice of the dead dragon calmly
and with a faux warmth that had seemed so real at
the time persuaded her to give up more and more
control of her own body until she was a prisoner
of the dragon within a cocoon of scaly flesh
taking her life from her. Jessica admitted that
it wasn't until the very end that she realized
that the hyacinth itself was talking to her and
guiding her steps; the more she relied on it, the
more she did exactly what it wanted.

“James,” Rickkter said as he chased a bit of beef
around his plate with his knife. “You are closer
to Charles than any of us. Is there anything you
have seen him particularly attached to lately? Is
there something he cannot give up?”

The donkey pondered that while the rat kept quiet
and unobtrusive. But his friend could only shake
his head and then shrug. “I cannot think of
anything, but he's never been very attached to
anything except his family and the vine.”

“Where is the vine?” Kayla asked, noting for the
first time that its curling leaves were not poking out of his tunic.

“Against one wall of the stables,” Charles relied
after swallowing a sip of mead. “My stables that is.”

“When was the last time you had the vine on you?”

He frowned and tapped his chin with his claws.
“At least two weeks ago. I thought about bringing
it with me a couple days ago, but I thought it
best to leave it where it is lest it act as a
focus for Marzac's taint like Rick's swords,
James's bell, and the hyacinth were.”

“And your family?” Rickkter pressed.

“I visited Ladero's grave this morning. The first
time I have done that in a couple of weeks too.
And as for my wife and my other children, I would die to protect them.”

They asked him a few more questions about his
family. The raccoon posed the most impertinent
questions but with the threat of Marzac hanging
over his head Charles was not going to object to
them. He did his best to answer how he felt and
the longer the conversation lasted the more at
ease his friends appeared to become. Both Kayla
and Jessica looked uncomfortable with some of
Rickkter's questions, and even Garigan simmered
at their implications. Eventually Murikeer held up one paw and shook his head.

“I think that's enough. We aren't going to learn anything more today.”

Rickkter bobbed his head a few times and then
skewered the last of the beef with his knife. His
eyes narrowed as he sniffed the morsel a few
times. “I'm satisfied anyway. I don't think the
corruption has a hold of you yet, Charles. But
that doesn't mean we let our guard down. It could come at any time.”

“Agreed,” Jessica squawked, her eyes intent as
she studied the rat. “I don't see any of the
darkness on you, certainly not what I saw in
myself in those final moments before we destroyed
the hyacinth. If it is there, it is quiet.”

That is good. But if you start hearing voices you will alert them.

“That is good,” Charles said with a relieved
smile. “But if I start hearing voices I will
alert you all!” He sighed and shook his head. “I
don't want to suffer what you each endured.”

“I didn't really know I was hearing a voice
speaking to me until the end,” Jessica cautioned.
“It could already be speaking to you and you might not even realize it.”

They ought to be able to magically see that by now if it were truly happening.

“You ought to be able to magically see that by
now if it was truly happening,” Charles replied
with a slight shrug. “But maybe even there Marzac
can hide.” He put the last of the cheese in his
mouth, chewed with his molars, swallowed, and
chased it all with a long draught of mead. “Well,
what are we to do about it? Rather, what do you
intend to do about it? I think the best thing for
me to do is to continue with my duties as if nothing were amiss.”

“And it probably is,” Rickkter agreed though he
could not dislodge the grimace on his snout. “As
for the rest of us... James, Garigan, Murikeer,
you are closest and I hope you'll keep an eye on
the rat – Ow!” He glared at Kayla who'd jabbed
him in the side before continuing, “Keep an eye
on Charles and let the rest of us know if he does
anything out of character. I have only a little
time left before I must return to Metamor. Muri,
if you do not mind, I would rather enjoy a brief
tour of your new home on my way out.”

Murikeer blinked and rose from the table. “I'd be happy to show you, Rick.”

Together the skunk and raccoon left the room,
with the Kankoran casting a meaningful glance
over his shoulder at the rat. Kayla chased after
him a moment to give him a little kiss on the
cheek before the two embraced. Once the two mages
had left and Kayla returned to her place, Charles
leaned back a little on the bench with a smile.
“So, is there any news of our other friends?”