[Mkguild] Asleep, Awake, Adream (1 of 2)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Dec 20 18:40:16 UTC 2015

So somehow despite surgery, a two-year old
daughter, and a full schedule, I managed to write
another Metamor Keep story!   And marvel as I keep it under 10,000 words!

I want to thank Ryx for proof-reading this for me
and for the use of his characters.

Part 1 of 2.

Metamor Keep: Asleep, Awake, Adream
by Charles Matthias

May 13, 708 CR

Charles could not sleep.

He tried several positions, snuggled beneath the
warm quilts with his wife, but none could silence
the mix of euphoria and dread filling his
thoughts. Even before the rise of the waning
crescent moon the rat slipped from those quilts,
draped his fur and tail in a cloak, and left his
wife to her slumber with only a parting kiss
blown from his cleft lips and hurried along on
its way with a cupped hand resting atop his heart.

Kimberly had taken to leaving a single witchlight
in a hooded lantern hanging on the wall outside
the door to their bedroom to give them just
enough light to see by should they arise before
morning twilight. Only a sliver of the lantern
was open, and though it was enough for a rat's
eyes to find their way, Charles never had need of
it. He covered the slit with one hand as the
other lowered the thick forested tapestry lest
any light spill into their bedchamber. With one
last smiling twitch of whiskers towards his
beloved, Charles turned and crossed the barely lit main room of their home.

He climbed the stairs up to the second floor and
paused. Another hooded lantern revealed the
wooden and cloth toys, all in the guise of
various animals, strewn across the floor where
his children had left them; most of the wooden
toys showed signs of gnawing. His scalloped ears
lifted to the sound of four little rats all
asleep and snoring in their high-pitched voices.

His heart swelled and his steps carried him into
the room, careful not to trod upon any toy, until
he peered through the curtain on his sleeping
children. Not enough light shown within for him
to make out details but he still watched them.
None of his four children stirred, each laying
curled on their sides tail to nose. A smile
stretched his snout and his chest swelled with
warmth as he gazed. How little they were and how
dear to him. Two eager boys and two darling girls. His children.

Charles lingered in their doorway for several
minutes before letting the curtain fall. He
walked back to the stairs and continued to climb
through the darkness. After a minute of taking
each step one at a time, the claws of his toes
touching but not nicking the wood, light
blossomed above. He came around the final curve
to the balcony overlooking the Glen and rested
his elbows on the railing. Though it was Spring,
the air at so early an hour was very cool and he
pulled the cloak tighter about his chest. He drew
the tip of his tail around one leg to keep it warm.

The trees were too thick to see what sliver of
moon had risen in the southeast, but he could see
the glimmering stars in patches. Through one he
found the milky band of midnight light crossing
the sky and stared into its depths. The rich
scent of pine filled his nostrils even more than
the scent of rat clinging to his cloak.

He could not help but ponder what he'd endured
and witnessed but a few hours before. So much
horror and anguish, and yet a single glimpse of
beauty was greater still. Would he ever truly
understand what it all meant? He'd seen the edge
of glory his youngest Ladero enjoyed, and now
knew a daunting secret about his eldest. Did his
little Charles scamper about the dreams of his
littermates? Or did he enjoy one of his own? Would his father ever know?

The starry depths had no answers. A southern
breeze stirred the branches, obscuring the
numinous light, but the rat did not turn. He
watched as they stilled, listening to the first
cries of birds eager to welcome the morning. He
idly wished he had taken up a pipe habit, for
such heady thoughts as his seemed best with a bit
of burl in his fingers and a trail of smoke teasing his nose.

Today was the first day in thousands of years
without the shadow of Marzac. Yet the stars shone
as they always had. And, Charles thought with a
smile and a twitch of his whiskers, it was always
so no matter the danger. The gift he'd received
had lasted for the barest of moments, but the
love and grace she'd given were always there.
Everything good, even his own love, was an opening for it to pour through.

“Thank you, Eli,” he whispered. “I love you.”

And though he continued to speak until the sky
brightened and those stars faded to blue, long
tongue brushing against long teeth with each
word, heart and mind lifted so he never felt the
wood beneath him, he remembered not a word.

----------

Malger could not sleep.

After leaving the rats, he returned to the
Mountain Hearth Inn with Misanthe. The vixen was
quiet and other than prepare him a small chaser
of wine, honored his unstated desire for privacy.
The marten sipped the chaser while standing on
the balcony, one claw touching the crescent moon
hanging about his neck. Too much had happened for
him to return to slumber and the Dream. The deal,
bartered and broken, to hear more of it, to even
have his goddess try and explain the barest whisper of it, would be too much.

So he stood in the cool night air of Spring
listening to the susurrus of the forest breeze
and the occasional stirring of the sleeping
village. In his home of Sutthaivasse there was
boisterous activity throughout the night; from
some noble or wealthy merchant enjoying a
decadent party, to the dockworkers loading and
unloading cargo, something was always happening.
Even in Metamor Keep for most hours of the night
one could hear some strain of music or laughter
and always the shifting of the guards along the walls wary of an attack.

Not so in Glen Avery. There were always scouts
watching the forest and the road, but what little
noise they made was obscured by the breeze and
the rustle of needles and fresh-grown leaves. It
seemed to the marten there had been more to
listen to while on the road with Murikeer and
Elvmere than greeted him in the Glen. If not for
the occasional bird there would have been nothing to listen to at all.

In the silence his ears filled with the voice of
his goddess. “All found the paths upon which to
take their journey, my dear.” He could not blame
himself for the turmoil of hours past. “Tell only
one, Malger, who awaits with you. He has
prepared, and knows what to do.” And now,
exhausted from so much use of magic, the skunk
mage Murikeer had retired to enjoy a well-earned
sleep. Many other words she'd offered came to
him, but her final rang in his ears loudest.

Still the massive crow, ice-blue eyes touching
the rat child as he lay sleeping on the cold
stone alter, the echo of Malger's question of his
fate ringing, her black beak open. “The child
remains his. But,” her wing stretched and the
sharp talons brushed across the boy's fur with a
caress incongruously tender and warm from those
wicked black edges, “one day he will have no
choice and must let the boy come.” Her voice
filled with delight, so odd from her frightful
visage and in such a forbidding place, “He
Dreams, Malger. And with strength. You will need
to help him; his father and mother as well.”

He'd risen from the dream to inform Murikeer, and
then slipped back down to find altar and child
gone. From the vantage of Nocturna's realm he
watched in the way the gods watch, two shadowy
figures passing through realms he could not
glimpse or understand, just as he'd watched the
defeat of Marzac nearly six months before. Though
he did not know what it was Charles had endured,
he had recognized the moment when the corruption was finally broken

And when he reached the end, his mind turned back
to the moment Charles entered the prepared cellar
to begin the dream anew. Malger took a deep
breath and pushed it aside. After four reminisces
he could stand it no longer. There was a little
rat child, only a year old, who could Dream! He
brought to mind what he had seen a few days past,
the tree rising up over a vast black pit – the
corruption he now understood. There had been
something else watching, something small; it had
fled the moment Malger turned his gaze toward it.
The rat child perhaps, trying to see into his
father's dreams unknowing of the dangers?

He welcomed the distant pounding of horses hooves
from the road. Even though it took a full three
minutes before the riders became visible at the
far end of the Glen commons, the sound was enough
to distract his thoughts. A trio of riders burst
into the Glen at full gallop and only slowed as
they neared the rocky hillside in which both
brewery and inn made their home. A quartet of
large witchlights trailed them, illuminating the
road before them and making it easy to see who they were.

Malger sighed in relief and waved his arm once,
before cupping his hands over his snout and
shouting toward them. “Rickkter, Kayla, Kozaithy! Up here! The Inn!”

----------

He wasn't surprised to find a feral fox tucked
under his chair watching as they all gathered in
the inn's empty commons. Misanthe had said little
since they returned to the inn but she had ever
kept a watch on the marten. Now, as a
sour-looking raccoon and cheerful but exhausted
pair of skunks settled down at the end of their
long ride, he realized how glad he was she had
not said anything to him just yet. Malger needed those moments of silence.

Rickkter scratched the oaken table with one claw
as if punishing it for not having a mazer of ale
ready for him. “So I'm told we aren't needed here after all.”

Kayla's tail swung behind her, and though weary,
her voice was filled with delight. “I felt it
when it happened. It was like I could breathe
again. I never understood how deeply Marzac had
touched us and was still touching us. Now it's
gone. Charles defeated it. We're all free!”

The white-furred skunk Kozaithy looked about the
room for somebody who was not there. “I'm sorry I
couldn't find you both in time. At least now
everyone we love is well.” The last was a question for Malger.

“Murikeer was a great help in this fight. Without
him aiding Lady Kimberly and helping her reach
out to Charles, we might not have won. Once all
was done he went to his rooms here to sleep, for
the effort had sorely taxed him.” He gestured at
the ceiling and rooms beyond with one arm.
“Charles returned to his family to do the same.”

Kozaithy relaxed. Rickkter snorted and scowled.
“Well, since there's nothing for us to do, I'm
going to go raid the innkeeper's larder for
something to drink and then find a room with a bed to sleep in.”

Kayla lashed her tail. “Rick!”

Rickkter stood up from the table and stretched
out his back, striped tail flat against his legs.
“I'll pay him back in the morning. The innkeeper
should have come out to greet us when we arrived so it's only fair.”

Malger tapped his thumbs together and narrowed
his eyes. “What's wrong, Rick? Aren't you glad Marzac is gone?”

“I just rode as fast as I could for four or five
hard hours, if I read the stars right, to come
rescue the rat and we were too late. Marzac
stripped my soul from my body for six months, it
made me an invalid, humiliated me, and has made
me feel useless in all sorts of ways while people
I love suffer. And not once have I been able to
even so much as give it a punch in the nose. And
now it's gone and I'll never get the chance.” He
shook his head and took a step toward the door to
the innkeeper's stores. “Yes, I am glad Marzac is
gone and no mistake, but I'm just too damn tired to feel good about it.”

“Rick!” Kayla stretched out her arm, but the
raccoon stalked toward the larder anyway. She
sighed and shook her head after he was gone. “He
wasted no time in coming here; he really did want to help.”

“You do not have to apologize for my sake. I know
he wanted to help. But maybe he's right. We'll
all feel better after some sleep. And, Kayla, if
our good innkeeper Jurmas should complain I will
set the matter straight. He has two young
daughters; he needs his sleep too! So go be with
him and then take your rest. Kozi, Muri readied a
room for you when you returned; you'll know which
one. I'm glad to see you safely returned and I
know he'll be glad to have you back. For now,
Rick is right, it is time all of us get our sleep.”

Neither skunk chose to argue. Nor did he press
his suggestion with either, standing up to leave
them to whatever they decided. And with a little
fox trailing his feet Malger climbed the stairs
back to his room to see what sleep and dream would hold for him.

----------

Kimberly found him still on the balcony not long
after the sun's rays pierced the forest gloom.
She carried a steaming cup of tea and he blew
across it several times before risking a sip.
“Thank you, my love. How did you sleep?”

“Better than you I guess. How long have you been
up here?” She gestured at the balcony and trees
around them but did not leave the doorway.

“A few hours; I'm not sure. We will sleep much
better tonight. Are the children awake?”

“Not yet,” she lifted her cup and lapped at the
acerbic tea. “This needs more honey. I don't know
how you can enjoy it like this.”

Charles chuckled and then lapped it with his
tongue, sprinkling a few drops on his whiskers.
“I grew up with it, I suppose I just learned to
enjoy it.” He stepped to her side as he flicked
the tea drops off with a twitch of his jowls. “It
is Sunday, and even after we say our prayers, I
will stay here with you and the children. I
expect our friends will stop and visit to see how we are doing.”

Kimberly nodded and smiled. Charles gazed at her
in the dawn light and felt his heart beat faster.
She had donned a thick robe to guard against the
cool Spring air, but beneath she was already
attired in one of the comfortable blue dresses he
had bought for her. Nestled in her bosom was the
amethyst stone she had taken to wearing a few
days ago. Though she had refused to tell him
anything of it, he knew it had played some role
in his rescue. He resolved never to ask.

He reached over and cupped his fingers behind her
ear, touching the soft flesh with tender strokes. “My Lady, I love you.”

Her dark eyes filled him and were filled by him. “I love you, my knight!”

Charles squeaked a laugh and nearly spilled his
tea. “I love it when you call me knight.”

She leaned her head against his chest. “I love calling you knight!”

He slid his arm down her back and held her close
as the cry of birds and the movement of Glenners
below welcomed the new day. When they remembered the tea it was already cold.

----------

James and Baerle were the first guests to arrive;
they did so not long after the children were
awake. The opossum helped Kimberly keep the
excitable rat children attentive while James
assisted Charles in leading them in Sunday
prayers. Once complete they enjoyed a breakfast
of oats and honey and then the children were
allowed to play inside. Other than a brief visit
to the stables to tend his pony Malicon – in his
taur form so he could give both of his sons a
short ride – Charles never left his home.

While he and James discussed ideas for the
Narrows as little rats scampered about their legs
the next set of guests arrived. “Kayla!” Charles
shouted with delight at seeing the skunk whom he
had journeyed to Marzac stand at his threshold.
“Come in! Come in! Rick, Muri, Kozaithy, please,
all of you come in and make yourselves
comfortable. Is there anything we could offer you?”

“I can have a fresh pot of tea steeping if you'd
like,” Kimberly offered before turning to the
children. “Now why don't you all say hello to our
guests and show them where they can sit.”

Both Kayla and Kozaithy gladly let Charles's boys
show them to the long couch facing the unlit
hearth; the pair of skunks complimented the boys
on their chivalry and made their whiskers stand
on end with delight by calling them 'sirs'. Muri
was well-known in the Matthias home and so
Charles's second daughter Baerle rushed to grasp
his hand and lead him to a chair where his tail
could swing free. Rickkter was a stranger to
their home, and so his first daughter stared up
at him and he back at her for a few seconds
before the raccoon held out his paw and allowed the girl to lead him within.

“Tea would be lovely,” Kayla replied and then
patted little Charles on the head before turning
to the raccoon. “Aren't they so adorable?”

The raccoon shrugged. “I suppose.”

Kimberly returned from the kitchen a minute later
and smiled to the one-eyed skunk. “Are you well, Master Muri?”

Murikeer rubbed his forehead with one hand and
offered a smile in return. “I am a little sore
still, but knowing we, you both, triumphed last
night makes it seem as nothing.”

“It is... we... I... ” Kimberly stammered for a
moment before falling into the surprised skunk's
arms, her eyes brimming. “Oh, Muri, thank you!
Thank you! Without you we... we...”

His surprise lasted only a moment before the
skunk wrapped his arms about the lady rat's back
and held her gently, his churring voice soothing
and compassionate. “My Lady, nothing I did would
have helped if not for your deep love for Sir
Charles, your husband. You won him back. You.”

Kimberly caught her breath and stood up, brushing
the tears from her eyes, her expression grateful
and embarrassed. “Oh look at me, I'm going to get
your tunic all wet.” Two little rats, her girls,
gathered at her legs and grabbed her skirt as
they looked up curious why their mother would be
crying. She smiled at them and cupped their
snouts in her hands. “Oh, your mother is fine.
Just a little something in the eye.”

Murikeer smiled at the little girls and then
snapped his fingers; a bright flame danced at the
tip of his claws. Their eyes went from worried to
excited, and they squeaked as they tried to
snatch at the flame which danced around their little fingers.

“Well,” Rickkter grunted as he stretched his toes
and looked around the Matthias home, noting the
tree rings on the floor and ceiling as if trying
to count them, “I guess we won't need to meet
every week now. I was tired of hanging around the
Keep waiting for Marzac mischief anyway.”

Charles carried his little boys over to admire
Murikeer's dancing flame while his wife returned
to the kitchen to prepare the tea. “I suppose
not. I have the Narrows to tend now. What of you, Rick?”

Kayla slid a little closer to the raccoon and
favored him with wide eyes. “Aye, Rick, what of you?”

“Honestly? I want to get away from Metamor and
find some brigands or Lutins or something I can
kill. I've been cooped up too long. After we
return to Metamor I'll talk to Misha and George
and see if there is anything promising I can help
with.” He turned his head toward the skunk at his
side and offered her a faint smile. “I am sorry
but I am not spending another week on my tail.”

Kayla walked her fingers up his chest as she
leaned into him. “I expect you to bring your tail back home safe.”

Rickkter offered a roguish grin. “Just my tail?”

She poked his nose with a claw. “It's a start!”

Baerle and Kimberly returned from the kitchen
bearing trays with a steaming teapot and a dozen
cups, not all of them the same size. All four
children came rushing over, squeaking for
whatever it was their Mommy brought. Kimberly
shushed them as she did her best to hold her tray
level. “Quiet, quiet, you four! There's enough for all of you.”

Charles and James picked up two little rats each
and despite some squirming kept them still long
enough for Kimberly and Baerle to begin serving
tea to their guests. Murikeer passed his cup to
Kozaithy before accepting one for himself. As he
did so he glanced at Charles and asked, “What
will you be doing with Marzac gone?”

“Tending the Narrows,” Charles replied as he
positioned his daughters on either knee. “I would
like to build a Keep there so we have another
fortified defense in the north of the valley. But
it will take many years and much planning. For
now it will be enough if I can keep Glenners and
Lakelanders from fighting over it. I suppose
you'll continue work on the villa?”

The skunk nodded. “With visits around the valley
as time and need permit. I would enjoy showing
any of you the home Baron Avery has gifted me if you wish.”

“We'll be returning to Metamor after we've had
one more bite to eat,” Kayla noted with a
grimace; but her snout then opened into a warm
smile. “But I know we will return to the Glen in
Summer. For now I have my duties for Andwyn to
resume; I cannot tell you how grateful I am he
has been so understanding of all things Marzac.”

“Don't let him overwork you,” Kimberly suggested
as she finished pouring tea for her children.
“Baerle, please don't spill your cup!”

As the little child squeaked an objection, Kayla
laughed and waved one hand. “Oh, I look forward
to it. Organizing reports of Lutin movements will
be comforting after all of this. All I expect to
see is any last reports on the refugees coming to Metamor.”

Kozaithy lifted her snout, eyes fill with delight
and concern. “I should head south to visit those
living in Iron Mine. There are more of my people
there than the town can take. I want them to know
the cities in the north of the valley will welcome them too.”

“I could use some to come and help cultivate the
Narrows,” Charles said after taking a long sip of
tea. It was not the acerbic blend he preferred
but had a light sweetness palatable to most
beastly Keepers. “We can discuss our land after
you have visited them, milady.” The appellation
made her blush in the ears. The rat looked into
his tea cup and for a moment pondered the eddying
ripples. Cascades of reflection and refraction
through the dark drink settled into a distorted
image of his friends sitting across from him,
until his boy Erick nudged his elbow and stirred the tea again.

He patted the boy between his ears and then
lifted the tea high. “I would prefer wine for
this, but you, my friends, are here now and this
is what we have. I know you must return to
Metamor soon and do not wish to delay you any
further. But, I want to thank each of you for
coming to my aid both last night and in the days
before. I could ask for no finer friends. I am
honored to call you friends, as well as many
others who cannot be with us today. Thank you.
Eli's blessing be on each of you. If you call on
me, I will be there for you. I will be there for you!”

His friends lifted the tea high, as did his
children after a moment; they did not understand
but it seemed right to do so. Rickkter offered
the rat a bemused grimace as he lifted his cup. “Even me, Charles?”

The rat tilted his head and met the raccoon's
gaze. A part of him wanted to dredge forth the
animosity he had long felt for the Kankoran, but
there was no strength to it. Instead his whiskers
twitched as a smile stretched his snout and
cheeks. “Aye, Rick, even you. Especially you.
Thank you. May many happy days killing brigands
afar and homecomings sweet with skunk await you!”

Kayla hugged her perplexed raccoon tight, neither
caring as they spilled their tea.