[Mkguild] Trust V

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 18:10:26 UTC 2015

AN: Shorter section today. Again thanks Matthias for Sir Egland, I hope I didn't butcher him too badly here.
Trust - V
I don't remember much of the trip back home. Sir Egland helped me walk because I was really drunk. At some point we were back at my door and he was knocking and I was trying not to vomit again.
 "Coming!" Nemo called out. The door opened. Nemo's smile morphed into a frown when he saw me. "I'm going to assume you didn't buy any food."
 "Does this man live here?" Sir Egland asked. "He says this is his home but I didn't trust him to walk."
 "Yes this is his dwelling. Come on in." Nemo sighed. "Thank you for bringing James home mister?"
 "Sir, Sir Yacoub Egland." He ducked down when entering so his antlers didn't get stuck in the door. "It's no problem." I mumbled some protest about needing help. "Your...ward? Whatever he is, was causing a ruckus. He's been drinking too much and he vomited on my tunic." Nemo winced.
 "Yeah he does that. Sorry." Nemo took my arm and lead me over to our table. He poured me into a seat. "Thank you again. Do you have a viola with you for a reason?"
 "I couldn't leave it behind. Carrying him with one hand and this with my other was not easy."
 "You're playing is sh-shit!" I stammered. Egland ignored me.
 "You could have left James there." Nemo said.
 "I am a knight. A knight is obligated to help people, even when they don't want it." I didn't want it. I wanted both of them to go away. My head was beginning to pound. "Anyway, it wasn't so bad, was it James?"
 "Fuck off!"
 "That's his way of showing thanks." Nemo said. The two sat down also, both ignoring me. "I can get you a new tunic, or at least pay to have that one cleaned."
 "I'd appreciate it." Egland glanced over at me. "It's interesting how badly he's taking his transformation." "Did you handle it well?" Nemo asked.
 "I wasn't thrilled but I accepted it as Eli's will. I moved on with my life." I laid my head against the table and clenched my eyes shut. "James if you want to survive, you'll have to do the same."
 "Don't need your advice." I mumbled. I couldn't see it but I suspect Sir Egland rolled his eyes at this.
 "Well I'm glad I got him home." Egland said, returning his attention to Nemo. "May I ask, who did you serve?" Nemo frowned.
 "I served James family as a body guard."
 "That's not what I meant. Who did you serve as a knight?" I looked up.
 "Nemo? You were a knight?" My man became visibly uncomfortable at this revelation.
 "How did you...acquire that information?"
 "I didn't." Egland said. "I just assumed you were-something about how you hold yourself or maybe a level of dignity you carry. You are a knight, aren't you?" Nemo looked distressed but gave a small nod.
 "The man I was, he served as a knight. That man is dead. And it's been an indefatigable effort to make sure he stays that way. So I was a knight, currently no I am not."
 "Well then, who did 'that man' you were serve under?" Sir Egland smiled. "Before coming to Metamor Keep, I served the Patriarch as-
 "You served as one of the thugs of that deceiver?" Instantly all respect vanished from Nemo's gaze. "That egregious false messiah? You damned cretin!" Now Sir Egland looked angry.
 "I protected Patriarch Akabaieth with my life, a good and holy man. I served as a Yeshuel with pride, I will not have it disparaged."
 "With pride? You served the great devil with pride? How can you feed yourself that lie?"  Nemo laughed and Sir Egland was looking really pissed. I was grinning, because I was a bratty little shit back then. "I want you out of my house." Nemo continued. "You will get no money from us, nor any more interaction. Now leave." He pointed to the door. Sir Egland ignored him. "I told you to leave!"
 "If I'm correct, this isn't just your home, it's James' home also, isn't it? James, do you want me to leave?" "No way." I laughed. "This more fun then I've had since I got to this shit hole."
 "And I would love to keep you having fun but I do need to be going." Sir Egland turned to me. "But I have one last thing to say. James, you told me repeatedly today you are noble, you are the son of a noble, oh so noble."
 "I am noble." I said.
 "Then prove it. You claim to be noble, so be noble. Stand for what is right, accept the things you can not change and be noble. Change yourself James." Sir Egland stood. His massive body and antlers were framed against the light of the fire.
 "I don't need to change." I mumbled. "Can't, don't want to."
 "You can. I believe you can." Egland smiled. "I'm cheering for you James. Your body has changed; your soul will also." He nodded at Nemo and me. "Goodnight James and...associate." Nemo grimaced.
 "Thank Eli that's over." Nemo said as soon as the door shut. "Don't speak to that elk again. He can't be trusted." I shot Nemo a glare. "What?"
 "What did the Follower's do to you?" He sighed. "Nemo, I am really drunk but you were being a dick there. Sir Egland was nice."
 "Anyone who serves the Patriarch doesn't deserve to be called Sir." Nemo growled.
 "Yeah you're acting like a jackass." This is a rare moment my friend. I agree with my past self. Nemo seemed surprised by my bravado here. I ignored him and laid my head back down. "You think I can change?"
 "Excuse me?"
 "Yacoub said I don't have to be this me." I yawned. "I dunno, need sleep. Night night." Nemo said something but I don't really remember. I was asleep in seconds."
AN: This is the scene I was most worried about going wrong. So most thoughts needed here.