[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars V. Ascensum (o)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Jun 5 19:21:25 UTC 2015

Here is the final section of Pars V!  I will
begin posting Pars VI after I get back from the
TSA-Bash next weekend.  Pars VI is the final part
of this mammoth story that Ryx and I have been
working on for the last two years.  I really
hope  you have all been enjoying it!

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars V: Ascensum

(o)

Saturday, May 12, 708 CR

The next terrace was all a road of stone rising
upward at an angle even steeper than the last.
The stone was shaped to offer little steps and
landings on the way up around the mountain, and
now Charles could see through his Master's eyes
that the path definitely curved about it. The
mountain itself was finally narrowing.

Along the rock at the base of the cliff wall lay
men in women in boundless number. They lay face
down with their arms prostrate before them. Their
lips moved to speak but no other part of their
body seemed capable of motion. His Master walked
well clear of each of them as they ascended the
path. Charles could feel the edge brushing
against the shadow and the depth beneath them
should they fall. And yet he knew that they could
not fall. Those who ran below had never tripped
and hurtled downward. It was not possible for the
souls here to ever go back; they could only go
forward and so it was for Charles and his Master.

As they slipped past the prone figures Charles
felt their words touching the ground, and through
the shadow felt their shape. It took some time
for him to distinguish between the voices for
they did not speak in rhythm. Rather each spoke
at his or her own pace, which garbled the words
into what seemed a senseless morass. But
eventually, focusing his feelings on only parts
of the shadow, he was able to make out what it was they each said.

Adhaesit pavimento anima mea

Adhaesit pavimento anima mea

As he made himself listen to the words and try to
make sense of them, an image other than what his
Master showed him flowed into his mind.

He peered into the deeps of a cave set in a
desert hillside, where only a feeble lantern
brought light. A cold night was without, the
heavens sprinkled with stars. Within the warmth
of animals and their stink pervaded. Straw rested
upon the stone to give them a meager bed. Wooden
slats had been arranged to keep them from
escaping. A man and a woman reclined within,
their faces filled with a rapturous joy.
Something small stirred within the feed trough
filled with bundles of coarse wool into which
they gazed. In the distance song filled the air.

Charles felt an ache in his heart and a fire in
his flesh as the scene slipped away from him. He
knew the story, and he knew he had loved the
story. But it was gone and he held only scraps.
Why could he not remember any of these things
anymore? What had happened to him?

The rat burrowed deep within himself to find
whatever he had lost. And yet, just as there was
a wall in his mind to keep the pain tearing his
eyes apart from overwhelming him, there seemed
only to be empty shelves were once his memories
had been stored. His journey had been long, and
each step had crowded out more and more of what
had been there before. How far had he come? Where
had he even begun? He knew he had not always been
climbing the mountain. He knew he had seen
friends in terrible anguish before this. Their
names? Wes... no, it was gone too.

But there was one thing he knew he could find. At
the core of his being it still remained, a fist
clenched tight and marked with a sword. Perhaps
all that he had forgotten lay within its grip.

False. He...

The word came unbidden and startled Charles. It
had not come from his Master. The voice was different and yet familiar.

He scampered through the shadow, concentration
destroyed, and stared out through his Master's
eyes at row after row of people. Men and women of
all shapes and sizes muttered their prayer into
the ground. He could feel their want, their
desire, their groping and grasping need for
something, anything. It fixed them more firmly
than any bindings could upon the ground, faces
turned from the light that did not burn their backs.

Charles pondered them for only a moment before
sinking back within his own thoughts. He touched
each of the empty shelves where memories had once
been stored. Nothing had changed. The journey up
the mountain was all he could find, and even then
details were uncertain. How long had he been
climbing? There were only three terraces more but
how many had they already ascended?

He felt his Master's presence filling him and
with it the determined focus and purpose to which
they had undertaken. Charles lowered his snout to
the shadow and snorted hot steam against the
stone as he crawled up the stone path. The cries
of the people sounded now like moans through his
paws and through the shadow film. The view of the
path grew in clarity with that presence, but this
time no words were shared. Charles wished he
would hear some. Any words at all. They had once
mattered so much to him, but now he did not know why.

Does Núrodur need them for this?

I... I do not know, Master.

They will return. Be not afraid. Abide in my
shadow and you will be safe, Núrodur Nuruhuinë.

He remained on all fours and allowed himself no
thoughts for a long time even after the presence
of his Master receded from his mind. There was
nothing in it to find anyway. Only the hand
remained there for him to inspect. It seemed to
him that it was sinking into a well where it
could no longer be seen. The rat, turned his
thoughts from the vision of the path and the
people strewn across it and let his arms and legs
move him forward but nothing more.

The clenched hand. The sword. These he pondered.
What were they? Why had he born them in the
center of his being all his life? Questions and
questions circled his thoughts until even they
were lost in a maelstrom of insensibility.

Beware.

The vision of the path receded to a single mote
of light. All that existed was a plain of endless
darkness surrounded by walls of stone that
stretched to the heavens. In the midst of that
plain was a single well with a single rope
descending into its depths. A small, brown rat
circled the rim of the well, gazing downward at
the clenched hand marked by a white sword that
rested at its base. The rat gripped the rope in
its tail and claws and scrambled down into the
damp well that stank with putrescence.

A miserable sheen of slime coated the bottom of
the well, and the rat rubbed its paws back and
forth to rid itself of that muck. It scratched
its ears with a hind paw, and brushed out it
whiskers until it felt an acceptable measure of
cleanliness restored. And then, curious at the
brightness of the hand, it nibbled at the fingers
and clawed with its little nails to pry up even a sliver of flesh.

A light, warm and crimson exuded from beneath the
fingers. A sound like a drum throbbed within. The
rat pulled and bit with all its little strength until something slipped free.

The sun-warmed man garbed in purple robe kept one
eye on the boy as he spoke with the father. The
father bore an unpleasant moue as he attempted to
arrange his wares on the demonstration table for
the people in the small fishing village south of
Glazebrook. The boy tried not to look like he was
paying attention to the affairs of grown-ups by
staring at the mighty towers of Glazebrook and
beyond them the southern reaches of the low-lying
Amrigane mountains still green with mid-Summer trees.

“How long, Master Matthias, has your son
demonstrated such remarkable strength? He carried
this table by himself. He should not be able to do so at his size and age.”

The father grimaced, his brown mustache twitching
and his arms trembling with the urge to rush the
robed man away. “He's always been a precocious
lad. Now if you'll excuse me I...”

“Just a moment more, Master Matthias. I do not
mean to be a burden to you. But I must ask, does
your son have difficulty controlling his temper?”

The boy scowled at the suggestion and then turned
his head to watch the fishermen prepare their
boats for the evening on the nearby wharf. The
robed man, the Sondecki, had been watching him!

The father scoffed, “He has a temper, but many
boys his age do. No I must insist...”

“Forgive me but I have another question. Does your son like to fight?”

“Of course! Of course! He has silly dreams of
being a knight one day. Now please!”

The boy cast a quick glance back and saw that the
man in the purple robe had lifted his hands in a
calming gesture. “I will take up only a moment
more of your time, Master Matthias. I would like
to ask something of your son if you would permit me.”

“Fine! Fine! But stay out of sight of the wares; you'll frighten my customers.”

The robed man slipped behind the table and smiled
to the boy. “Do you know what I am, young man?”

He liked being called a man and so smiled. “You
are one of the Sondeckis, Mern.” The last was a
title of respect given in those lands when
another was not known. The boy had never met a
Sondeckis but he and all in those lands knew of
them; they were warriors for justice and defenders of the down-trodden.

“How right you are. Now, what is your name?”

“My name is Charles!”

The Sondecki took the boy's hand in his own and
held it gently. “Well, Charles, I would like you
to do one thing for me. Close your eyes and
imagine your heart. Can you do that?” The boy
nodded and closed his eyes, picturing his heart
beating in his chest. “Now, put everything you
know and love into your heart. Imagine everything
filling it to the brim. Fill it up, leave nothing
outside of it. Everything you are, everything you
know, and everything you will should be inside this heart.

“Now, enclose the heart with a single hand. Close
it tight and let nothing escape. Can you do
that?” Again, the boy nodded, willing everything
he could think of, and everything he loved, his
father and mother, their horses, their wares, the
green trees, the grass, the mountains and rivers,
and all the stories he yearned to hear about the
evening fire when his family shared its nightly
meal. Everything went into his heart.

“Now I want you to put a mark on that hand. You
choose the mark. Have you done that? Good. Do not
tell me what it is just yet. Keep the secret just
a moment longer. Now... open up the hand.”

The boy did as he was told and a smile crossed his face.

“Do you feel calm?”

“I am, Mern. I feel calm!” For the first time in
ages he felt no anger or frustration, no sense of
disquiet to make him anxious or disagreeable. He
was calm like a morning lake touched by fog. He
was as still as the mountain rock. He did not
even yearn to boast of this joy to his mother or
father to whom he had always told every little triumph.

“Very good. I am glad to hear it. Now, Charles,
tell me... what mark did you choose for the hand about your heart?”

“A sword! I chose a sword, Mern!”

The robed man smiled and stood, patting the boy
on the head. He turned back to the father and
coughed to get his attention. The boy's father
grimaced beneath his mustache. “You should be
proud of your son, Master Matthias. He is of the Sondeckis!”

Charles blinked and willed the hand to close
tightly again. The well and plain were no more.
The pinprick of light swelled back until he felt
as if they were his own eyes. The walls pressed
tight against his mind and he felt his limbs
sloshing through the shadow as if wading in an
ankle-deep pond. He blinked open his real eyes
and for a moment saw light fill them. There was
the mountain path and its parade of prone bodies
all moaning their sins and their prayers into the
rock. The shadow touched none of them.

His Master stopped and turned to face him. Núrodur... are you all right?

But Charles ignored the question for a moment,
his eyes, his true sight, marred by the cloud of
ash, nevertheless beckoned him toward the figures
of men. One in particular called to him. The
sound of the voice, rough and impatient, the
blonde of the hair now gone white at the edges,
the mustache filled with gray, the arms once
thick from lifting and carting goods from village
to village now weak and empty, all of it was known to him.

“Father?” Charles called to him, turning in the
shadow to stretch out a hand toward the man who
he'd only known for seven years. “Father? It is I, Charles, your son! Father!”

He does not hear you, Núrodur. Núrodur! The shadow!

But Charles could not hold back. He jumped out of
the shadow to where his father lay prone, eager
to touch him one last time. Eager to tell him of his love one last time.

And then writhed on the ground, his flesh a
living flame and his scream echoing in his mind
until all he could hear and think was the
shattering of glass. Brilliant crimson plumes
engulfed him and then everything went black and
all went silent and only the flame abode in him.

Núrodur?

Flame! Pain! All is dark!

Núrodur? You are safe again. Listen to my voice.

He did not move so much as shift, awareness
following the voice back through a maze of
flaming walls on every side. But the flame gave
off no light; it was too hot for even that to escape the burning.

Núrodur Nuruhuinë. Follow my voice. Follow me.
Abide in the shadow. You are safe there and only there. Come, Núrodur.

And he did. Núrodur followed the voice, the
command, the call that he received. He knew the
path beneath him again. He knew the sensation of
bodies prostrate against the cliff wall. He knew
the pool of shadow beneath him. He knew the sound of his Master's voice.

It is only a little further, Núrodur. Your son awaits.

Yes. That he knew too. His son. He followed
after, his touch scorching the stone black and
sending up rivulets of smoke. His voice hissed
and wheezed, his mouth hanging agape. All else
had been effaced. Núrodur Nuruhuinë followed his Master.

----------

Wednesday, June 23, 724 CR, Early Evening

To Charlie's astonishment, his father crumpled
atop the saddle blanket and bale of hay, tears
streaming from his eyes. The golden horse stabled
behind him lowered its head and nudged him with
its muzzle. Charlie set the empty goblet aside
and took the few steps to where his father wept.
He knelt and put a hand on his father's shoulder.
“I... I'm sorry. You saw... you saw your father there...”

Baron Charles Matthias let out another gasp and
then shut his eyes tight. He rubbed his hands
across them, fingers trailing through the scarred
rent over his right eye. “I did. I saw my father.”

Charles looked up slowly, anguish writ plain upon
his rodent muzzle, whiskers backed and ears flat
while the golden horse brushed its broad nose
against the back of his neck. “Until that moment
when I raised my eyes and saw him as he had
become, I never realized that I had forgotten
what he looked like! Charlie, I had forgotten!”
With a shaky hand Charles rested the pad and claw
of one finger against his temple. “But, to this
day, I have only to close my eyes and I see him
as I saw him in that moment. Not the man who
stared with anger at the Sondeckis who took me
from the market stalls, but the frail man of age
and weariness. And I wonder; did he know what
became of me, Charlie? What became of his son?”

He lifted one arm to pat the horse on the snout
and then pushed himself back up. He offered
Charlie a feeble smile. “I had not seen him since
I was seven years old. In the Southlands, when a
child with the Sondeck is discovered, they are
sent to Sondeshara for training. Some families
will go with them, but mine did not. I never saw him again. Nor my mother.”

Charlie had seen into the dreams of many a Keeper
who had lost father or mother to war, accident,
or illness. It was a misery that always drove him
to find a good cup. He had never imagined his own
sire suffering from so bitter a loss.

“Have you never searched for her?”

But his sire shook his head. “If she lives she is
somewhere in Kitchlande. That country is vaster
than the Steppe. It would take me years to search
it and I have not the time. Nor can I leave
family for it. I can merely hope and pray for her
sake. And my father...” his voice choked up again
but he took several deep breaths and stilled the
tremor. “For my father I pray every day. I have Liturgy offered for him.”

“Does the rest of the family know?”

“Only your mother. Do you.. have any more of that wine?”

Charlie glanced at the cup he'd left on the floor
and shook his head. “I can fetch more for you, Father.”

But Charles shook his head. “No, it is fine.
There is not much left to tell. Let me compose
myself and I will continue. Sit, my son. We're
almost there.” Charles cast his gaze down,
folding his hands upon his lap, and took a long
breath. “When I was seven, Charlie, a man took me
away from my family because of the power that was
born to me.” Charles spoke without raising his
gaze. “I have the Sondeck; you have the Dream. In
that, are we – you and I – so very different?”

Charlie ran his fingers along the golden horse's
mane for a moment as he gazed at his father. He
did not know what to feel anymore. With nothing
else to do, he took out his chewstick and gnawed while he sat and listened.