[Mkguild] Divine Travails of Rats - Pars IV. Infernus (v)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Mar 8 19:41:42 UTC 2015

---------

Metamor Keep: Divine Travails of Rats
by Charles Matthias and Ryx

Pars IV: Infernus

(v)

Saturday, May 12, 708 CR

Charles rubbed his hands together to wipe the
feel of it from his flesh as he lifted his gaze
to the condor. He yearned to reach out and
embrace him, even as part of him wanted to batter
him about the skull with his Sondeshike. All he
managed in the mix of such confusion was a long-breathed name. “Baldwin.”

The former Long Scout lifted his beak and backed
a single step from him. His voice was coarse and
grating. “Charles Matthias. I recognize you even
with the scarred face. I recognize you even
without that cloak.” He stood and stretched out
his wings and for a moment the rat recalled the
Raven Queen's nightmarish presence, but it was a
fleeting similarity; one quick to flee. There was
a measure of insubstantiality about the condor
that made him only a pale shadow to the Raven.
There was no danger to his soul from this dead thing.

Charles met the condor's stare and then gestured
along the road. “The path for your redemption is
this way. Come with me, Baldwin. I entreat you as one Long Scout to another.”

The suggestion made the bird sneer. “I betrayed
them and no longer bear their emblem. Do not waste such honors on me.”

“You regret your betrayal?”

Baldwin laughed, a horrible screeching sound that
grated his ears. He backed his soft,
saucer-shaped ears beside his head and drooped
his whiskers. But before he could amend his
question, the condor took a step forward along
the road, curious eyes cast in that direction.
“Of course I regret it. It ended with my death!
My name is now a curse amongst the Longs; of that I am sure.”

“Your name is never spoken.”

The condor glared forward and folded his wings
along his back. His beak bobbed forward and back
with each step, dark eyes turned inward,
smoldering over those words. Charles walked an
arm's length at his side, while his master
followed only a pace behind, unobtrusive but
ever-present in the rat's mind. No words or ideas
were suggested to him to help him; for the moment
Qan-af-årael acted only as a confidant bulwark of
strength. Against Baldwin no such strength need by assayed.

“Never?”

“Not since your funeral. Your family was told you
were killed during the defense of Long House as
was everyone else. The Longs all know, as does the Duke, what really happened.”

Baldwin fluttered his wings but said nothing for
several seconds. Charles stared past the top of
his red-skinned head at a human being driven
through a grinder, curls of black mucus spilling
forth like sausage. He did not avert his eyes,
but let them glide across the scene until they
passed to a new machine. The road continued
beneath his paws, the distance remaining
uncertain before them. How far had they come
already? How long had it taken to find Baldwin again?

With an indrawn sigh the condor remarked. “Misha
was honorable in that at least. He knew I had
been estranged from my family and still shielded
them.” He squawked and hunched forward. “I don't
suppose he is sending them my pay?”

Charles shrugged. “I have not lived at Long House
since February of last year so I cannot say what
arrangement Misha has made.” Neither said
anything for a few paces and so the rat ventured
the question that had lain on his heart from the
moment he had heard the news almost a year and a
half-before. “Why did you do it, Baldwin? Why did
you betray the Longs and Metamor?”

The dead Long Scout tilted his head back as if
staring into the sky to offer Eli an uncouth
opinion. “Arrogance. Greed. They both played a
role. I was commander of a company of soldiers at
Three Gates. I'd just been promoted a few months
before. And then I was turned into this, this...”
He thrust out his wings toward the path ahead as
if they were an abomination. “I became the condor
you see now. Metamor's armies were decimated and
my company was mostly dead; my second had died a
dog with an arrow through his neck only a moment
before the counter curse restored what little of
our man-shape it could. Our forces had to be
reorganized. A week after Three Gates my command
was gone and I was tasked with aerial patrols.”

Baldwin hunched forward again, though his wings
were still partly extended, the claws at one end
twitching and grasping at the air. “Misha
Brightleaf asked me a month later to join the
Long Scouts. My combat skills and my bravery at
Three Gates marked me as a good candidate. I
eagerly accepted. I was the very first he asked –
the very first! – and I knew I would be leading
my own team once we had enough scouts to make a
second. Instead, when the time came, he put Craig
in charge. And when Misha no longer led the teams
himself, he raised Lisa – a woman born and now a
child! – to Team Leader. I who had proved my
mettle and proved my ability even before Three
Gates was left without any distinction; I was the
flier and that's all I would ever be.

“I told Misha many times that he needed to bring
more fliers into the Longs but he refused.
Mammals always prefer other mammals! So, for all
of this, I found myself resenting Misha.” Charles
grimaced and nodded as he listened. He recalled
Baldwin griping that he was the only flier
amongst the Longs one of the few times they had
shared drinks together. The conversation had
ended not long after when a bunch of dogs caused
a ruckus at the Deaf Mule that had everyone
fighting and then most everyone singing. Baldwin
had been a new friend in those days; simpler days
before all of his cares and woes.

But Baldwin did not give him time to reminisce.
“Two years before I was killed, I was met by one
of Nasoj's spies and offered gifts merely to
listen to his offer. It is a hazard we Long
Scouts face, but, as angry toward Misha as I was,
I did not do what I should have done. I kept the
gifts and said nothing of the spy. A year later
and the spy returns with more gifts. This time,
full of resentment, I listened. And within days I
became a traitor. I gave up Craig and Caroline.
Honestly, I didn't care if Craig lived or died; I
hoped Caroline would die just to make Misha suffer.

“In the end when it was only Craig who suffered
death I even thought perhaps now Misha would
finally give me what I deserved, command of my
own team. I even told myself I would find a way
to benefit from such a position, passing more
information to Nasoj's men, and from them
receiving word of Lutin encampments they did not
care about that I could claim credit for
routing.” The condor snorted, a disgusting sound
that seemed more a retch. “But even that was not
to be and that woman Laura was given Craig's
command instead. In that moment, when asked to
help with the winter attack, I gladly promised to
bring Nasoj's men into Long House in exchange for riches and power of my own.”

He swung his head back and glared down his hooked
beak at the rat. “And that is the traitor you wish to redeem.”

Charles took a deep breath, the sound of talons
and claws striking metal beneath them the only
echo in the endless, cavernous building. For
several seconds he pressed his tongue against the
back of his incisors, pondering how pride had led
to resentment and finally to hatred in the
condor's soul. This bird, once a faithful
defender of Metamor and who had shed blood for
her had turned to her enemies for the power and
riches he thought he deserved. Could he be redeemed?

His right eye flicked upward toward Qan-af-årael
who was already watching him. Deep blue eyes in
the midst of his ivory-limned face and flowing
black hair never wavered in their regard for him.
They were both sentinel and master, seeing into
the rat's heart and mind to guide it, but also
seeing beyond the rat to all who would threaten
him. Charles felt in that intense and yet soft
glance a powerful assurance that stilled the
nascent anxiety that had crept into his heart while listening to the condor.

Resolute, the turned his snout to fix the bird
with a gentle smile. “Baldwin, do not doubt me
when I say that all of us can be redeemed from
our sins. You have done much that is horrible, but you can still be redeemed.”

The condor offered a guttural squawk. “How,
perchance, do you think it possible? I am already
in the grasp of the daedra and cannot leave.”

“Not as you are, no,” Charles agreed, one eye
noting the lip of the funnel beyond the next
stretch of machines. No sign of the demon imp's
sliced body remained. “But a truly selfless act
done for one whom you have transgressed will
suffice. By that you will be redeemed and by that
you will be free of the daedra's traps. And when
you do this, you will know peace in your heart
and love for your fellow Keeper that you once
knew.” Charles offered him a genuine smile and added, “My friend.”

Baldwin half turned his head and something burned
in his eyes. Contempt? Incredulity? Charles did
not have time to ponder before the bird swung his
face away. In a low warble the condor said, “We were never friends.”

“I thought we were.” Charles drooped his whiskers
and eased a pace away from Qan-af-årael to walk
closer to the former Long. “I wanted to be.”

“You were just one more instance of that damn fox
ignoring my merit. I pretended with you and with
all the others.” A bitterness filled his voice as
he half-turned his head to stare at the last
machine before the funnel. It was formed by a
series of pistons driving down into a narrow
chambers. Several humans were crushed together in
each chamber, pulverized bones piercing through
flesh along arms, legs, and what used to be
chests. The black tar squeezed from every pore
and what remained of their faces, smeared across
the glass or pounded into the hollow cracks of
bones and sinew of their fellow damned, were
locked in perpetual screams. Baldwin said nothing
as he gazed hard at each. Only when they passed
the very last of them and the chamber opened up
around the funnel into which Charles had to
convince Baldwin to fling himself did the condor
speak again in a low, reedy tone. “I was your enemy.”

Charles stopped a pace from the lip of the funnel
and his master paused two paces further back. He
could feel the Åelf's scrutiny with both eyes and
mind. The presence within him assured him of one
thing; he would not belong to Agemnos. In that he
would trust. “Enemy then, perhaps. But now you
can be a true friend, Baldwin. We need go no
farther than this.” He gestured at the funnel and
the turning gears at its base.

Baldwin's beak followed where the rat pointed and
his eyes narrowed as he inspected the sloping
walls and iron gears, each tooth coming to a
sharp point, interlaced with dozens of others in
a vicious combination. They turned no faster tan
a water wheel in mild current, but no human
strength could balk those gears in their course.
All flesh that fell to those teeth would be
ripped to pieces. And from the look of disgust
and trepidation in the condor's eyes, Charles saw that he knew it too.

“What is this place? Why did you bring me here?”

“This is where you will redeem yourself, Baldwin.
Beneath those gears is the passage I need to
follow to leave this realm. I am searching for
the soul of my son who was stolen from my family.
If I have any hope of finding him I must pass
through that gateway. But Agemnos has blocked it
by that machine and the only way for it to open
is if a mortal soul passes through the machine
first. I was told I could only free one soul and
I chose you. If you wish to leave this place and
to make amends for all that you have done in your
treachery, you need only fling yourself into this
machine for my sake. Please, Baldwin, it is my only hope.”

The condor blinked, stared at him, tilted his
head to peer down into the funnel, and then
stared at the rat again. His voice warbled with
incredulity. “I would never have leaped into such
a pit even before I turned against Misha and
Metamor! I certainly will not do it for you, Charles!”

Charles ground his molars together even though
he'd expected such a refusal. “You have no other
choice. There is no way for you to leave this
place. You can either return to the vats where
you will be processed into their soul tar so that
nothing remains of you, or you can leap into this
pit and while suffering greatly, still retain
some part of yourself as you go Beyond. If you
remain, you can never be redeemed and will never
know peace. You will be nothing but a traitor.
But if you go then you will know peace and your
name will be spoken of with love and admiration.
You must see the wisdom in that.”

Baldwin thrust out his wings, the right catching
the rat beneath the snout. “Peace? Peace! There is no peace for the damned!”

Charles winced from the pain but did not show it.
“You don't have to be damned.”

The condor glared at him, turning away from the
funnel and stepping forward, one talon scratching
at the metal floor. The sound grated in his ears
and made his whiskers and tail droop. “I. Am.
Damned!” His words were uttered with such fire
that his whole frame seemed brazen. Shadows
stretched across the machines, flashing darkness
over the mouth of the funnel. Charles stepped
back, his toes resting in the silhouette of his master thrown upon the floor.

His thoughts flew back to the Åelf, a sudden
anxiety filling him that needed strength. A
single plea flew through his thoughts and into the other. Help me.

The reply, a gentle caress that settled within as
a fallen leaf settles upon the surface of a still
lake, came without hesitation. I will, Núrodur.

He felt his master's long, slender fingers rest
upon his shoulder. A slight push was all it took
to drive the rat forward three steps until the
long shadow of the Åelf touched the condor as
well. Charles extended his arms, palms
outstretched, claws spread away as much as he
could, a calm resolve overcome his countenance
and manner. His voice felt deeper and words
seemed to flow from the presence and across his
tongue as if he were but a sieve for water.

“Baldwin of Metamor, hearken to my voice.” The
condor had begun to turn away in disgust when
those words struck him. His wings, spread wide as
if he were ready to take flight in the endless
building, lowered and the little clawed fingers
he bore at the end quivered. His dark eyes in
ruddy face paled and remained transfixed. The
skin twitched as if he yearned to fling himself
into the funnel merely to escape the rat's powerful regard.

“You are full of bitterness. All your life you
were denied what you believed should be yours.
You let that bitterness turn to hatred and you
struck at those you admired and loved. You still,
in your diseased heart clamor for Misha's
approval. You want it. You need it. And you
cannot have it and that rankles you more than any
other raving pain these machines do to you. You
know I am right. Speak it! Admit it! You hate him
because you still want something from him.”

Baldwin almost stumbled backward, but the strange
power that filled Charles, Núrodur of the Lord of
Colors, held the bird Keeper firmly in place. The
funnel yawned a few paces to their right, the
gears buzzing as they spun one against another.
Dark eyes trembled, and he shook his beak back
and forth. “No! I... I cannot... I...” Baldwin
tipped back his head and let out a hideous
screech that made the air shimmer. The light
twisted around them in that moment, but they
remained beneath his master's shadow.

Charles reached out and clasped the bird on the
shoulder, gripping him tight, his claws digging
into his dark feathers. “Tell me. What do you want from Misha?”

Baldwin yanked backward but the rat felt a power,
different from his Sondeck, but seemingly endless
in its potency, tighten his muscles even firmer
than stone. The condor gasped, struggling and
heaving his chest, but he could no more lift it
than he could his wings. The air felt heavy, and
before him the bird began to wither. “I... I want... I...”

The rat relaxed his grip for a moment but did not
let go. His eyes brightened and in a soft voice, he said, “Go on. Tell me.”

“I... I want...” Baldwin swallowed and took a
deep breath, eyes closing. A tear perched at the
edge of one lid. “I want him to see. I want Misha
to see that I can do more than just fly. I want
Misha to see that I can plan and that I can lead!
I want Misha to see that I am worth the coffers
of Metamor and worth the rank of captain I was
denied! I want Misha... I want them all to see
that I am an extraordinary warrior and leader! I
want it! I wanted it more than anything!”

Charles gripped the condor on the shoulder, and
then pulled him forward. His other arm wrapped
about the bird's neck as he drew him into a tight
embrace. Baldwin, the words finally free, fell
against the rat's free shoulder and gasped a
series of squawking cries, weeping for each
bitter loss that had curdled his heart. Charles
breathed deeply as he held the shaking bird, a
tingling energy passing from him and through the
mottled and battered feathers of Baldwin's neck
and back. Behind him and within him he felt his master smiling.

With one last firm hug, Charles eased the condor
back for a moment and then unclasped the cloak
from his shoulders. Baldwin still trembled and
stared in confusion as if he could not decide if
he was more angry with himself or with the rat so
he did not notice Charles hold out the torn cloak
with the crossed bow and axe heraldry for the
Longs face up. “You may have this back and
reclaim your honor, Baldwin. Misha will see that
you can do more than just fly. Misha will see
that you are a leader. Misha will see that you
are a great warrior. You will battle your own
fear and defeat it. You will battle your own love
of your life and defeat it. And you will do it
all to come to the aid of a fellow Long.”

Baldwin blinked and his wing-claws stretched out
to touch the fabric, dark eyes only beginning to
see the heraldry he'd once proudly worn offered
to him again. His voice, warbled and subdued,
murmured, “I cannot take this. I am not worthy of it.”

“You are,” Charles assured him, extending it
closer so that the end of the cloak brushed the
condor's chest feathers. “Now come, don this and
serve one more time as a Long. Redeem yourself. I
will speak of you and what you do this day to
Misha. He will praise your name until he has no more breath to speak.”

The power flowed through him from his master, and
Charles took the cloak and draped it between the
condor's wings. Baldwin, trembling and uncertain,
was unable to resist. The rat clasped it around
his neck and then unfurled it down until the torn
ends reached half-way down the bird's tail
feathers. With one hand pressed upon Baldwin's
back, he guided him to the lip of the funnel.
“Only one thing remains, my friend. Step over the
threshold and open the way for me to reach my son. Be a Long Scout again.”

Baldwin gazed downward and his breath caught in
his chest. “And there will be peace in my soul?”

“Everlasting peace.”

The condor bobbed his head in a quick nod and
then closed his eyes tight. He stretched out one
leg over the emptiness and then stumbled in
place. He blinked and then trembled, his voice
confused. “I cannot... something is there. I cannot go down.”

His master's voice was sure, but for once he did
not feel a smile, only a resignation to that
assurance. You must push him. Agemnos will not let him go willingly.

Charles pressed down on Baldwin's shoulders. “I
will help you.” The condor stumbled at the sudden
shove, his talons breaking through whatever
barrier had kept him out of the funnel. He tilted
forward, wings spreading but smacking uselessly
against the metal on either side. Charles tensed
his legs to steady himself, but the exaggerated
momentum carried him forward until they were both
sliding down the funnel. A hand grasped his tail
and a squeak of protest escaped his throat before
they were brought to a jarring stop, Baldwin's
talons scraping the metal cone inches above the
serrated gears. The whirring roar of each tooth
grinding against one another made his muscles ache.

Baldwin's eyes went wide in terror and he tried
to brace his talons on either side of the funnel.
The metal was too slick for his wings or wing
claws to find any purchase, but his talons did
seem to hold him back for a moment. “Wait!” he
squawked, shaking his head back and forth as he
scrambled. “I... I can't! Not like this!”

Push. I have you, Núrodur.

Charles said nothing as he pressed firmly on the
condor's shoulders, shoving him down the last few
inches toward the machine. Baldwin shrieked and
clawed and scraped but he slid down beneath the
rat's paws. For a moment it appeared that his
fellow Long Scout had managed to brace himself
with his legs cock-eyed a hair's breadth above
the twisting maw of gears. But then a tooth
clipped one of his talons and his leg slipped out from under him.

Baldwin screamed, wings stretching upward to try
and grasp Charles, but the rat pushed his claws
away each time, offering his friend a wan smile
between gentle presses on his shoulders. The
machine chewed on his yellow scaled legs,
spitting droplets of black tar against the side
of the funnel as it ground the bone and flesh to
mash. The condor's eyes were wild and desperate, fixed on Charles with a plea.

He will be at peace when this is over.

Charles could feel the blood rushing to his head
as he dangled by his tail. Each time he pressed
on the condor's shoulders he felt for a moment as
if he were standing on his hands, and then the
machine would draw his friend downward another
few inches. The jagged gears groaned and strained
as they bit through bone, rending the flesh and
sending it every direction in a ghastly spray.
But even though it seemed as if the fountain were
red with blood and bile, when it struck the metal
walls of the funnel it was black as ink.

Despite having his legs chewed up to his thighs
into shreds by the machine, Baldwin still
struggled as if he possessed all of his strength.
Desperate, the condor stretched his wings and
flapped up and down. But the funnel was too tight
and all he managed was to smack his wings against
the enclosing walls like a butterfly trying to
bore a hole through a stone wall. Each time it
seemed as if he had driven himself free of the
clenching metal, but then either he would sink
back into its jaws, or the rat would stretch out
his arms and shove him back down.

The machine chewed through the last of Baldwin's
yellow scaled thighs and ripped into his tail
feathers, sending a torrent of dander into the
air that made the rat's whiskers and nose twitch
as if tickled. Charles shook his head once and
then pushed down again, even as he felt his
master easing him a little further down in the
funnel to give him better leverage. Though the
Åelf gripped him by the tail, he felt no pain
there, nor strain in any of his muscles. He
winced only at the spectacle of his fellow Long
torn apart by Agemnos' blasphemous machine.

He will be at peace.

The gears lapped at the torn edge of Charles'
Long Scout cloak now draped across Baldwin's neck
and shoulders. And then the fabric pulled taut as
the threads were severed and stretched. The
condor started to twist as the machine pulled him
in to his waist, the last remnants of his tail
torn free and splattered as shadowy ichor on the
walls of the funnel, across the axe in the
heraldry, and even onto Charles' arms. There it
stayed and stained his fur. The rat ground his
molars together and ached for something to gnaw
upon as he pushed harder, his arms now stretched nearly straight.

Baldwin managed to lift one of his wings and
hooked one of his claws in the rat's tunic. His
dark, beady eyes locked onto the rat's own, his
voice a quivering thing filled with an
indescribable agony. Every mote of flesh devoured
in the pitiless jaws of the machine still
suffered even though severed and pulverized. The
black tar now smeared the walls so thoroughly
that there was no purchase anywhere. It drained
into little openings between the teeth of the
gears, but even more slowly than the machine
consumed the bird, so that undulating ripples
wound their way down, as of layer upon layer of
molasses dripping and coursing through itself.

Hoisting himself up a few inches through sheer
force of will, Baldwin brought his hooked beak
inches from the bottom of Charles' snout. It was
enough for his words to be heard. “Charles! Please! Have mercy!”

You are.

The strength in that assurance warmed him ad
renewed the strength in his limbs. He
straightened his back as much as he could, and
nodded at the condor whose lower half was being
churned through the black-stained gears that
shimmered in the strange light and hummed as they
spun. He pitched his voice and though he did not
shout, he knew his words would be heard. “I am.
You will know peace. Thank you, Baldwin.”

He tightened his grip on the condor's shoulders
so that his claws bit into the flesh and shoved
downward with all of his strength until his arms
could go no further. Baldwin's claw tore through
the rat's tunic and cut a rivulet of blood down
his right arm as he struggled to keep hold. But
his torso struck the gears and his whole frame
stiffened as they bent him down, pinching his
belly to his spine, and erupting all of the flesh
there in a fountain of black. The tar shot
upward, smearing the condor's beak and the rat's
forearms and hands. No pink flesh was visible
anymore. For a moment the slickness burned like
lye, but the pain subsided into a vague discomfort within a blink.

Not so Baldwin whose turned his head from side to
side attempting to snap his beak at the rat's
arms. Charles felt the hard edges of the condor's
beak brushing against his arms, but nothing more
than that. The gears pulled him downward to his
chest, his wings shredded behind him and sucked
down into the dark confines, ripped feather by
feather apart. The Long Scout cloak tore into
four sections as the gears pulled it in different
directions, severing the heraldry of bow and axe
until even these were swallowed and turned to
powdery ash. The clasp about Baldwin's neck
snapped from the pressure and the condor gave one more piercing wail.

Charles lost his grip on the bird's shoulders as
the machine no longer needed his help in pulling
the soul within. Tears streamed from Baldwin's
eyes and he murmured words over and over again as
the last of his limbs were chewed free and his
chest was reduced to a slimy puddle of gore on
which his head wobbled. Charles inclined his ears
forward and his heart beat faster as he heard the
words wept into the fall of night. “I'm sorry!
I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Forgive me! Forgive...”

The gears ripped into his neck and the condor's
head bounced once before falling between two of
the spinning gears. The bones snapped and the
flesh gave way, folding in on itself until all
that was left atop the machine was the mash of
flesh and obsidian gore sliding down the rat's
arms and the sides of the funnel. The machine
whirred a moment longer, now the only voice
speaking, until all of the mash and tar was drawn
within. Charles dangled, hands clasping and
unclasping as he stared at where a moment before
someone he had once, long ago, called a friend had been.

And then the gears stopped spinning. A long
series of clicks echoed within, and the gears
withdrew into the sides of the funnel somewhere
out of sight. Beneath them glimmered a silver
radiance unmarred by the black tar. Charles
breathed a long sigh and trembled. He shut his
eyes and tried to hold back the tears that
suddenly yearned to blossom there. Baldwin had
repented. He had been redeemed. He now knew peace.

I am with you. Agemnos has no hold over you.

Charles grimaced for a moment longer and then
stretched out his arms toward the silver light
shimmering beneath him. Above him he felt a
sudden tug on his tail as his master jumped, and
then both he and the Åelf hurtled downward and into the bridge.