[Mkguild] MK Shadows of Past and Present part 2

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Mon Mar 23 16:49:33 UTC 2015

Here is part 2 where things get stranger.

I do want to thank Stealth for all the help he gave with this and putting up
so many questions!

Chris

The Lurking Fox

*************

   The pair stood off to one side and stared in amazement at the world
around them.

   The forest with its overgrown ruins was no more. Nothing more than a
confused and oddly pleasant memory. In front of them and all around them
were the tall stone and brick buildings of a prosperous Suielman city. The
plaster over the bricks was bright and white and the stone lined streets
were clean and well swept. But although the buildings were amazing what
truly dazzled them were the people. The streets were filled with men, women
and children moving about. Some were walking, some talking and still others
moving among the stores and buildings on daily errands. All of them were
dressed in clothing of a style that had fallen out of use when the empire
collapsed under invading lutins over five centuries before. The two living
Keepers were in a world that had been dead for centuries.

   Stealth turned to speak with Nestorius and stopped.  He stood there for a
moment unable to speak. Where the black furred lion morph had been was now a
stranger. This man was the same height as Nestorius but was dressed in a
tunic and pants both of blue and edged with an intricate design in silver. A
small, gold and silver emblem was on the front of his tunic. On the belt at
his hip was something the Metamor mage had never carried; a simple short
sword. "Nest? Is that you?"

   The stranger nodded and the voice that spoke clearly belonged to his
leonine friend. "Yes." The man bowed. "My apologies. I should have warned
you."He  reached into a pocket and pulled out a mirror. "You had best take a
look at yourself."

   With some trepidation Stealth took the mirror and looked into it. The
figure that looked back at him was not the cheetah morph he was. Instead a
brown haired man with a face weathered by time and the elements looked back
at him. Gone was the brown, black and green covered leather armor he had
been wearing. Instead he now had on chainmail armor that looked a little
worn and battered. Strapped to his back was a large bow and a quiver filled
with arrows. A leather strap ran diagonally down his chest running over his
right shoulder and down to his belt. On it were two, dull brass badges about
the size of the palm of his hand. Dangling from a brass and leather belt was
a short sword of a design he had not seen before. Next to that was something
he did recognize; his dagger.

   "I'm human again!" Stealth exclaimed. Then he cursed loudly. "But I'm not
myself. Who am I? What happened?"

   "We are in Camulodunum," the mage answered calmly. "Shortly before it's
fall in 150."

   "So," Stealth asked nervously. In front of him a man dressed in a plain
gray tunic and leading as donkey laden with large bolts of cloth. "Are we
dead? Or did we travel back in time?'

   The mage slowly shook his head. "I am uncertain of exactly what is
happening but we are still alive."

   "Then what is all this?" Stealth waved his arm at the strange people
around them.

   "We are witnessing the ruins as the ghosts trapped here see it,"
Nestorius explained.

   "What?" Stealth blinked and looked at the mage.

   The stranger who was Nestorius nodded his head. "All the ghosts here were
trapped when the city was destroyed. They have been reliving the last few
days before their deaths over and over."

   "And now we're in it too," Stealth said. "Reliving the last days of the
city."

   The mage watched as a merchant and his donkey slowly made their way down
the road. "Yes. We've been given the privilege of seeing this place as it
was over six centuries ago."

   Stealth let his eyes wander as he examined a shop close to them. There an
older man was busily crafting pots from clay. "I'm sure this is exciting but
we both know how this ends. How long till all this," he said and waved her
arms at the city around them. "Gets destroyed and everyone killed. Again."

   "I believe we have about one to two days before Camaludunum falls again,"
Nestorius answered. His gazed followed where Stealth was looking and he
watching the craftsman working a lump of clay on a potter's wheel. "But I
cannot be certain."

   A woman wearing a simple gray dress walked up to the potter and the two
spoke quietly. "What happens if we're still here when that ends comes?"
Stealth asked.

   The mage was silent for a moment. "I'm not sure," he said softly.

   Stealth looked at the long dead world around him that looked all too
alive. "Let's not stay and find out."

   "Agreed. As much as I would dearly love to explore and record everything
here we need to find Edmund as quickly as possible," Nestorius said.

   "So where do we start?" Stealth looked around. "Where is he?"

   "Edmund thinks he is an officer in the Vigilis so we need to look for him
in the Vigilis Argunta Comandio. The Vigilis headquarters."

   "Didn't we visit those ruins a while back?" Stealth asked.

   Nestorius nodded his head slowly. "Indeed we did. It will be fascinating
to compare the ruins of what exists now with the reality of what once was."

   Stealth looked at the strange body that covered his own. "Who am I?"

   Nestorius peered at his companion for a moment. "I believe you are a
Immunis Decanus Exploritie."

   He looked at the strange clothes on the strange body that was now his.
"And what does that mean?"

   "Decanus Exploritie means you are a experienced scout sergeant,"
Nestorius explained. "Immununis means you are immune to regular fatigue and
guard duty."

   Stealth looked at the strange clothing and armor he was wearing. "You
could tell all that from what I have on?"

   "Yes," the mage answered. "I have been studying the Seuilman as of late."
He pointed to the brass badges on his chest strap. "Two means you are a
Decanus or sergeant. One would mean you are a Veternai. None would make you
a Milos or a Tiros. The bow on your back makes you either a scout or an
archer. The chainmail armor is too heavy for a Sagittaria so that leaves
only a Exploritie."

   Stealth looked at his clothing and weapons. "You realized all that by
just looking at me? You remembered all that information?"

   "When I was sixteen," the mage explained. "I attempted a simple summoning
in class but mispronounced the seventh word in the fourth tranverbative
phrase. Instead of summoning a simple, fire spirit I summoned a fire hound."
The mage was quiet for a moment. "I was burned  over 40% of my body and
spent six months recovering. It took a dozen mages over an hour to finally
defeat the creature." He rubbed the back of his left hand and looked at it.
Examining a wound that had been physically healed for decades. "What went
wrong? I left out one letter. The one good thing it taught me was the need
to know every detail. To remember everything."

   The scout peered at the mage intently. "And what are you?"

   I am wearing the deep blue of a Vigilis," his companion explained. "The
silver edging marks me as a Tribune Artus. Roughly equal to a major."

   "You said a Decanus is the same as a sergeant," Stealth said slowly. "So
the same rank as I am back at Metamor."

   "Now that's important," Nestorius commented.

   "What does it mean?"

   The mage shrugged. "I don't know. Yet."

   "Betutius! Foslius!" A voice called out. "Hold a moment please."

   Both of them turned in the direction of the voice.

     The man approaching them was stocky but well muscled. His black hair
was cut short and the brown eyes below were filled with caution and doubt.
On his left cheek was tattooed two blue lines and on the right two blue
ones. He was wearing a shirt of chainmail armor that matches his pants. A
sword with a long, straight blade rested in a sheath that hung from his
belt. In his left hand was a round shield. Painted onto the front of the
shield was a gold greyhound running on the bottom half of the shield with a
white crescent moon on top. This was an officer of the 23rd Artinea,
Exploritium, an Auxilia unit. Once the Auxilia units had been considered
inferior to the legions, merely meant to supplement the true soldiers in the
legions. But centuries of working and fighting side by side had erased the
differences. And Auxilia was now merely a title meant to invoke memories of
past glories. "Betutius, Foslius, you've returned."

  "I think that is us," Stealth muttered under his breath.

   "I am glad that you have returned unharmed," the officer said and looked
at Stealth. "How did your mission go?"

   Stealth was at a loss for words for a moment. "It went well enough. I got
back alive."

   "I see," the man commented slowly. Unhappy with the answer. "So, are the
rumors of the massing Lutins are true," the man asked nervously.

   The man who was Nestorius simply nodded. "They are true but we've
defeated them before. We'll do so again."

   The officer gave a forced smile. "I'm glad you came back safe. Good day
to you sir." Then he turned and walked away.

   Nest watched the auxiliary leave and then paced back and forth.  "We
appear human to them. We are seeing the same illusion they are."

   Stealth turned his gaze down, to the mage's back, there he could see a
jet black tail darting about, completely unobstructed by the ancient robes
they were protruding. "Our Seuilman illusion isn't perfect and our real
bodies can poke through."

   Nest rubbed his nose, "fur and muzzle, our human selves are concealed to
us?"

   The cheetah Immunis nodded, "Until such time as you shave and lose
weight."

   Nest nodded his head. "Of course this brings up another question. If our
Seuilman clothes aren't physical to us then how can we stand in buildings
that don't exist anymore, hold

weapons that don't exist, etc."

  "Well," Stealth said slowly. "All this," he waved his hands about. "Is
part of this whole recreation or story. And since we are in it we can
interact with all of it."

   "That doesn't explain how we can interact with people who are dead and
move about in a city destroyed  for over five centuries," the mage asked.

   Stealth shook his head. "That isn't important right now. What matters is
how do we get out and back to our own time."

   "Of how I do not know,"  The mage answered. "Until then it is best we go
along with the illusion placed on us. They do allow us to move about
unhindered."

   "All right," the scout answered reluctantly. "What's my title again?"

   "Immunis Decanus Exploritie." came the answer from the figure who might
be Nestorius.

   "Could that name be any longer?" Stealth asked sarcastically.

   Nest gave a short growl of laughter. "The Seuilman did have a love of
long and grandiose titles."

   Suddenly Stealth felt a warmth and a tingling sensation from his hip.
Looking down he saw that the hilt of the dagger that hung there was glowing
a light blue. He drew the dagger out and examined it.

   The weapon rested easily in his paw while he reflected, waited and
watched. He turned it over and over. The gold and black marble glistened in
the light and the whole blade glowed with a blue light.  Stealth had found
the weapon in the ruins some months before and carried it with him since.
But he had barely given it a second thought. The weapon had shown no magic
or powers till now.

   He stared at the dagger for a long moment unsure of what to do or say.

   "Is that the dagger you found in the ruins?" Nestorius asked. The mage
was looking at the weapon but keeping a respectful distance.

   Stealth simply nodded in answer without taking his eyes off the dagger.

  "Has it ever done this before?" The mage kept examining the weapon but got
no closer.

   "No, never. Neither in the ruins nor out of them. It did change my armor
into something completely different. I never considered it to have any other
purpose."

  "Well," the mage said slowly. "It seems we have discovered another one."

   "Are there other powers?" The scout asked nervously.

   "Undoubtedly," the mage answered. "I can study the blade in detail when
we escape here."

   "If we escape." Stealth looked at the mage for a moment and then back at
the blade. "Edmund had said I was fated to find the dagger," Stealth said
slowly. He held the dagger up at eye level. "I don't believe in fate. But I
do believe something is happening here and somehow we're all involved."

   "Indeed," Nestorius said calmly. "It seems someone or something is
guiding us."

   The scout leaned closer to his friend. "Who?"

   Nestorius shrugged and shook his head. "I do not know. The more we learn,
the more I understand how little we truly know."

   Stealth, still holding the dagger in his hands turned and was rewarded
with the glow of the blade growing brighter. He stopped moving and turned
back in the direction he had come and the light dimmed.

   "Interesting," the mage commented. "It seems the blade is guiding us
towards something or someplace."

   "Where?"

   Both looked in the direction to magic blade was pointing but all they saw
was the city with its hustle and bustle.

   "One way to find out," the mage answered. "To follow it and discover for
ourselves but first we must find Edmund."

   "Where is Ed now?" Stealth asked.