[Mkguild] MK Story Shadows of ther Past and Present part 4

christian okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Sat Mar 28 06:21:30 UTC 2015

   They stood in the courtyard for a moment, blinking as their eyes adjusted
to the bright light of day.

   "Which way does the dagger lead?" Nestorius asked.

   The scout pointed to a squat building that stood against the curtain wall
on the opposite side of the courtyard. "That way."

   The two Keepers made their way across the courtyard well aware of the
people looking at them. They moved at a carefully calculated pace. Moving
slow enough to not draw attention to themselves but also fast enough to also
not draw attention to themselves.

   The one door to the building had two soldiers standing guard. People were
rushing in and out past them. Stealth and Nestorius simply walked past the
sentries who took no notice of them.

   They found themselves standing in a large hallway with corridors leaded
off left and right and a set of stairs leading upwards. All were clothed in
marble that once had been white and brilliant but was now weathered and
grayed from long use. People were hustling about on their own errands and
paid the two no notice.

   "Where now?" The mage asked softly.

  He glanced at the dagger. "Up."

   They stopped at the head of the stairs. For all the activity going on
below them this floor was quiet. The corridors that headed off to the left
and right were empty.

   Their footsteps echoed loudly as they walked along the marble floored
hallway. They stopped as the hallway ended in a door that blocked any
further advance.

   "We need to find Edmund. Why don't we wait till we're back in the present
and look for this place?" Stealth asked.

   "I've tried," the mage answered. "It's not there in our time. We visited
it remember? All we found was waist high rubble. The dagger led us here for
a reason. What we need is inside there, now," Nest said and pointed at the
doors. "Past those locked doors."

   The two stared at the door for a long moment. The door was of a wood as
dark as nightfall and banded with steel straps. In the center of the door
was a narrow, rectangular shaped depression. Nothing else was on the door,
not even handles or hinges.

   "So," Stealth said slowly. "How do we get inside?"

   "That I do not know," Nestorius answered. "The magic protecting it is
impressively strong. It's been a long time since I've seen wards this
powerful and complex."

   "The Seuilman were here for over five hundred years," Stealth commented
as he looked at the door. "Plenty of time to do all sorts of powerful magic.
Can you get past it? You are a powerful mage."

   "Perhaps," the mage answered. "But it will take a lot of time and study."

   "And that will take longer than we have I'd imagine." Stealth intoned.

   The mage shrugged. "Not sure. But it took me three years to work my way
past the wards that are underneath Hareford."

   "The lutins will be able to get through it in a much shorter time,"
Stealth responded. "But we won't live to see it. Perhaps we could order the
ghosts to open it?"

   "Unlikely our subordinates would have the means to open it, any more than
we do," the mage countered. "And they are liable to ask us why we want into
a place that's locked against us. And the lutins didn't get past the wards.
They simply burnt the entire building down."

   Stealth examined the entire length and width of the door. "They must have
a way to get in. Someway to open it."

   "There must be," the mage answered. "Usually a password or a key of some
sort."

   "This door doesn't have a lock or a keyhole."

   "It doesn't have to be a literal key to fit into a keyhole." Netorius
answered. "With magic it could be almost any object that the lock and
warding spells are aligned with."

   The scout looked at the odd shaped depression in the door. Stealth
unsheathed the dagger and stared at it. He compared the dagger to the door.
"Is it that simple?" Stealth placed the weapon into the depression and it
fit perfectly.

   There was a soft click and the door swung open silently.

   "Sometimes it IS that simple," Nestorius commented and patted his friend
on the back.

***************

   The officer walked slowly through the market. Outwardly he was the very
picture of calm and poise. But inside his mind was in turmoil. So many
different ideas and memories were running through it.

   The Decanus Exploritie had spoken of a woman named Bridgette. It was an
old Centli name even one empress had born it. And it was the name of a
Centli goddess. He personally knew no one by that name and yet it seemed
familiar. An image of a woman came to his mind but it was oddly not human.
Her body was covered with short, thick red fur. The body under the fur
looked like a foxes down to the pointy ears and long, bushy tail. What
really caught his attention was her legs which were long and spindly. It was
like she was walking on fur covered stilts. To him that look was wrong and
yet it felt right.

   Suddenly the busy market with all its people was gone. In its place was a
dark and brooding forest. Gone was the stone, vaulted roof overhead replaced
by tall trees rising up into the sky and blotting out the sun. The hard
granite floor was gone, Underneath his feet was a thick carpet of leaves and
dirt. He used a boot covered paw to push aside the debris and he caught a
glimpse of grayish stone underneath that might be the remains of a stone
floor. The forest was silent, only the lonely cry of some bird pierced the
quiet.

   Then suddenly he was back in the market again with all its people and its
lively noise.

   He shook his head and tried to dispel the ruinous images from his mind
but they wouldn't go away. He looked at his hands and saw them covered with
golden colored fur with black spots. "Why are my hands covered in spots?
That's wrong." a part of his mind said. "No, that's right. I'm a cheetah and
they have spotted fur."

   The man looked at the world around him. So familiar and now yet so alien.
"Who am I?"

******************

   Stealth looked around at the racks and shelves that lined the room.
"Where are we exactly? Looks like a library."

  "That's exactly what it is," Nest looked through the various scrolls
carefully. "It's an archive where older messages and orders are stored.
There is a lot of important information here!"

   Stealth looked at the row upon row of racks holding scrolls. "There must
be thousands of scrolls here."

   The mage looked up from the scroll he was reading. "At least five or six
thousand. Too long to look through them all. We need to concentrate on the
most recent messages. That will provide the information we need."

   "But what is that information?" Stealth asked.

   Nest shrugged. "I don't know but if the dagger led us here it must be
important." He walked along the rows before stopping in front of one. He
pointed to a date painted onto the wooden rack. "These are less than a month
old."

   The mage was silent for several minutes as he searched through different
scrolls. Then he tapped one scroll in particular. "This one has some
important information. It's an order to allow the Vertansula full access to
the Castra Prenturio, which I believe is the city fortress. It also lists a
building and several chambers underneath the fortress. And this is an exact
quote 'To be supplied with anything no matter how strange or disagreeable it
might be. And none are to be allowed there under immediate death.'  It is
signed by Falernus Crudicus Tuditanus. The governor of the whole province."

   "The Vertansula were mentioned in that mail we found last time weren't
they?" The scout asked. "Any idea who they are?"

   The mage gave a shake of the head in response. "No. I believe they are
mages or some sort of magic using creatures."

   "We already knew that. Whoever they were or whatever they were doing they
didn't want anyone else to know," Stealth commented. "And that's not good."

   Nestorius nodded his head. "Agreed. But this tells me exactly where we
need to concentrate our investigation," the mage said, sounding pleased with
himself. He pointed to another scroll that  was resting next to the first.
"But this one has a list of items that their guests would need. Some of the
items can only be described as evil."

   Stealth tilted his head to one side. "What do you mean?"

  "One of the items requested is three virgin girls and three virgin boys no
more the eleven years of age."

   The scout shook his head. "What did they do?"

   Nest shook his head slowly. "I am not sure but that and the other items
on the list do give me some clues. I believe they were trying to summon
something."

   "Could it be the Shadow Fox?" Stealth asked. "We know he was bound here
to protect the city and the people in it."

   "I don't think so," was the mage's response. "The Shadow Fox is powerful
but he is as trapped as the ghosts are. Also you would never need a live
sacrifice to summon something like the Shadow Fox. There is something more
powerful involved."

   "Can you talk to the Shadow Fox? He might have more information?" Stealth
asked.

   "The Shadow doesn't talk to me. He only communicates with Edmund," The
mage carefully returned the scroll he was holding back to the rack it had
come from. "Also I believe the Shadow doesn't understand what happened
either. I think he was summoned separately and was trapped when the curse
took effect."

   "Now that idea makes sense. It seems that the more we learn the more
questions we have," Stealth commented.

   "We are advancing," the mage answered. "We know that the cause of all the
trouble is something the Seuilman did in 150 and that it happened in the
main fortress. That tells us who, when and where. That's more than anyone
else has accomplished in over five hundred years."

   Stealth didn't answer for a moment. He turned and looked at his
companion. "Why us? Why have we managed to do all this when no one else
could in five centuries of trying?"

   The mage shook his head and shrugged. "I do not know. Something has
stirred up the ghosts. Everyone at Hareford has told me that. And nothing
like what we are experiencing has ever happened before. But what I do know
is that somehow it involves you and Edmund."

   "It involves all three of us," Stealth added. "You were on that map too."

   Nestorius smiled revealing large leonine teeth. "Indeed. But we are still
missing pieces to this puzzle. There is some information we do not have as
of yet."

   "Unfortunately the undead is not my area of expertise," Nestorius
responded. "For that we need Edmund back."

   Stealth came to a sudden halt. "I have an idea about Edmund. What rank is
he?"

   "He is a Duplicarius," Nest answered. "Equal to a captain."

   "So as a Tribune Arturis you out rank him! You can just order him to
follow us out of the city. He has to obey our orders and go with us!"

   The mage smiled. "I like that idea. It's simple and to the point. Once we
are done here we will retrieve our friend."

  "Let's not take too long," Stealth said. "The lutins certainly aren't
going to wait."

****************

   They replaced the scrolls in their proper racks and reluctantly left the
room. The doorway was closed up properly and the duo made their way down to
the ground floor and out of the building.

   Slowly the pair walked along the courtyard, though the gate and out into
the city proper.

   "What do we do now?" Stealth asked.

   "We retrieve our friend and leave this place," the mage answered. "Wait!"
Nestorius exclaimed and suddenly stopped.

   Stealth came to a halt. "What? Something wrong?"

   "That's the sword!" Nestorius said excitedly.

   "What?" Stealth asked and looked around nervously as his hand reached for
his sword hilt. "What do you mean?"

   The mage pointed up the street. The crowd parted and a figure slowly
walked past.

   This man was tall, with the dark brown hair that was carefully cut and
coiffured. It was showing some gray in spite of obvious attempts to dye it.
He was dressed in a long, blue robe that stretched down to his sandaled
feet. The robe was edged with  the silver and gold lines around its border.
He moved at a slow, deliberate rate and his face was a solid mask of calm
and determination. What caught Stealth's attention was the sword that hung
from a loop on his belt. It was a simple thing with a long, straight blade
and hilt. What was unusual was the entire weapon was pitch black in color
and devoid of any decoration or enhancement. The blade was not in a proper
sheath but seemed to be hanging from a small loop of black chain that hooked
over his belt. He'd never seen a sword carried like that. Everyone kept
their swords in a sheath to protect it from the elements.

  "That sword. It's all black, like Misha's axe," Stealth commented.

   "That is Ka-Staru," Nestorius answered. "One of the Five Sisters."

   "What?" Stealth looked in the direction the mage pointed. "You mean like
Misha's axe and Rickkter's dagger?"

   The mage slowly nodded his head. "They are part of a set of five weapons
all created at the same time. Their look is unique and unmistakable."

   Stealth looked at the weapon for a moment. "That does look like his axe.
Do you think seeing that was an accident?"

   Nestorius slowly shook his head. "No. The Five are too powerful to just
accidentally appear here. Nothing involving them happens by accident."

   "So what does it mean? What is it doing here?" Stealth asked without
taking his eyes off the sword and its bearer. "And the Axe and Dagger are
BACK in the valley in the modern age. Why? How?"

   Nestorius stared at the blade intently as if he could gain the answers
they needed that way. "Those are excellent questions but I don't know the
answer to any of them. But I will find out."

   The sword wielder moved down the street at a steady, deliberate pace and
was effecting an air of calm and unconcern, as he was just out for a
pleasant stroll. But it didn't quite work. The man's hand never left the
hilt of his sword. The smile on his face seemed forced as if painted in or
carved in stone.

   "What is he doing? Stealth asked. "It's like he is showing off."

   "He is," came a calm voice. "Curule Falernus is aware of the unease among
the people. He is deliberately acting calm and cool to ease their fears."

   Both turned to see Edmund standing there. The man had his arms folded and
scowling at them.

   With slow and with deliberate steps the officer walked toward them. "Who
are you two and what are you doing?"

   Nestorius opened his mouth to speak but Stealth cut him off.

   "We don't have time for this," the scout snapped.

   He waved to some Vigili who were standing nearby. "This traitor is
preaching for a false god, detain him."

  The officer gave a wave of the hand and the Vigili stopped. He scowled at
the two. "Why are you doing this?"

   "You don't belong here," Stealth snapped. "None of us three belong here."

   "This is not our time or place," Nestorius added. "You are Edmund
Delacot." He pointed to himself. "And I am Nestorius Sentilus." He then
pointed to the cheetah scout. "And this is . . ."

   "My friend Stealth," Edmund said finishing the mage's sentence.

   Stealth looked at his friend. "Ed? Is that you?"

   The paladin nodded and smiled. "It is. I have regained my mind."

   Stealth hugged his friend. "It's good to have you back!"

   Edmund returned the hug. "It's good to see you!"

   He turned and hugged Nestorius. "I am glad to be back. I have recovered
my memories but I am confused as to where I am. Are we in the past?"

   "It's hard to explain," the mage answered.

  "That means he doesn't know what's going on," Stealth added.

   "I have a good grasp of what is happening but this is neither the place
nor the moment to explain," the mage answered. "The short explanation is we
are in Camulodunum in CR150. A day before its fall. We must be free of this
ghostly city immediately."

   Edmund seemed to ignore his friends and stared off to the north. The
other two turned and followed suit.

   The entire northern sky was lit up as bright as the dawn. Flames shot
high into the sky and seemed to envelope everything.

   "We're too late," Nestorius muttered. "The invasion's begun!"

   "No," Edmund countered. "There is still time! We just need to get out of
the city."

   "Just?" Nestorius commented incredulously and pointed to the north. "You
do realize there are two hundred thousand lutins out there?"

   "We do not have to defeat all two hundred thousand, just the few in our
way," Edmund paused for a moment and looked around. "We are on the Strata
Margentus. It will take too long to go to the east or west gates. That
leaves north and south. Since the Lutins are to the north I suggest we go
south past the forum and the Castra Prenturio."

   "NO!" Nestorius shouted and waved his arms. "We have learned that
whatever cursed these woods was instigated in the Castra."

   Edmund closed his eyes for a moment and slowly shook his head. "Why
doesn't that surprise me."

   "We cannot condemn people for something done six centuries ago,"
Nestorius commented.  "At least till we find out exactly what they did."

   "Can we concentrate on the important thing, How we are trapped here"
Stealth said. "And getting out of this doomed place."

   North," Edmund folded his arms. "With south out we can only go north."

   "Towards the Lutins?" Stealth asked, surprised.

   Edmund nodded. "And hope we can escape before they seal off the city."

   Nestorius pointed to the two Vigili who had been standing quietly through
all this. "You two are being reassigned. Take your family's and head south.
I want you out of the city within the hour."

   "Sir?" the one vigili asked. "Our assignment is here."

   "I AM REASSIGNING YOU," the mage countered. "I don't want everyone
concentrated all in one place. Take yourselves and your families to
Alguntia."

   The man slowly shook his head. "I am needed here."

   Edmund took a small quill pen and a piece of parchment from a pouch. He
hastily scribbled something on parchment. "Those are your orders. Take
yourselves and your families to Alguntia. You should be safe there."

   "We don't want to be safe," the second countered. "We want to do our duty
and help."

   The paladin smiled and nodded. ":And you are doing your duty," he said in
a calm but firm tone. "Whatever happens here the people in Alguntia need our
protection. Now take yourselves and your family and GO!"

   "What about you?" The Vigili asked. "Are you coming?"

   "Not yet," Edmund countered. He gave the man a pat on the back. "Don't
worry. I will not be here long."

   The two Vigili slowly walked away talking quietly to each other. Suddenly
the horizon lit up with an immense explosion sending even more smoke
billowing into the sky. The men started walking faster and then broke into a
run. In moments they vanished into the crowd.