[Mkguild] Remembering a friend part 3 finale

cokane8116 at aol.com cokane8116 at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 06:18:37 UTC 2016

Here is the 3 and final part.
The whole original funeral idea came to me in a odd way. Benedict Arnold - the name most synonymous with treachery. He served with great valor for the revolution before turning traitor. He was instrumental in winning the battle of Saratoga. When a monument to the battle was made in the last century all four American leaders involved were remembered. Three have statues with their names. But for Arnold is only an empty niche. No name or statue. And where he was wounded is just the message "Here fell an American Hero."

   Stalin and the Soviet Union also had a history or erasing people.

**************************

  Long Hall was remarkably quiet at this hour of the day. The vast hallthat is at the heart of Long House should have been filled with various scoutsmoving about or training.  But the newerLong scouts or those hoping to be Longs had all been sent elsewhere by theirLeader. What had happened would be explained to them later. Misha had made surethe hall was empty except for thirteen including George.

  The group was standing at attention in the middle of the hall close toone side. Misha stepped into his office for a moment. When the fox returned hehad a green bundle under one arm and two other smaller bundles in each hand.These bundles were colored a dark brown. The fox handed one brown bundle toCaroline and the other to George.

  The Long Scout leader took place at the head of the group. "Leftface. Forward march."

  A door on one side of the vast hall led to a set of broad stairs leadingdownward. Without breaking stride, the group made its way through the doorwayand downward.

  To Edmund the corridor hadn't changed. The stone walls looked the sameas before. And yet the atmosphere felt lighter, nowhere near as oppressive.

  Edmund heard soft footsteps behind him. At first he thought it was justechoes of their own footfalls. Suddenly he realized that he was hearing justone set of footsteps and not many. The paladin paused and looked behind him.Back in the shadows he glimpsed a figure that seemed to be made of wisps ofsmoke and glimmers of light. Even so he recognized the figure. The paladindidn't speak but just nodded his head in acknowledgement.

  The ghostly figure seemed to smile and nod a barely visible head inresponse.

  He wasn't sure what to do at first. But the group of living mournerskept moving. So Edmund and his ghostly companion followed after it. Both movinga quietly as death itself.

  The trip continued deeper into the bowels of the keep as the Longs Keptwalking. Their two guests; one living and one dead trailed along behind.

  The stone blocks of the keep gave way to natural stone as they madetheir way into the tunnels hewn from the living rock itself. Suddenly thetunnel ended in a blank, stone face. Set into the wall on the left was anarchway. Through that lay the tomb of Baldwin. Edmund remembered the doorwaybeing plain, bearing only the words "Here lies one of our own," andnothing else. Beyond it the room had also been unadorned except for an equallyplain sarcophagus.

  But things had changed. The sides of the doorframe bore a modestdecoration of birds flying. Over the door the words had changed as well."Here lies Baldwin Gryphus. One of our own."

  Misha held up the green bundle he was carrying. Finbar took one edge ofthe and slowly walked backwards. The bundle unraveled into a very large greenbanner bearing the white crossed bow and axe. The symbol of the Long Scouts.

  Moving slowly and carefully they placed the flag over the coffin. It waslarge enough that it completely covered the coffin leaving only the endsexposed.

  He walked to the end of the sarcophagus at the foot of which lay a swordand a bow. Both broken into pieces. Misha leaned over and picked up the partsof the bow.

  Caroline came forward. In her hands was an unstrung long bow.

  Misha took the bow from his fiancé and handed her the broken pieces. Thescout gingerly placed the intact weapon onto the coffin atop the banner. Thenhe picked up the two parts of the ruined sword.

  Caroline stepped back and George stepped forward. In his hands was asword.

  Misha gently took the intact sword and gave George the broken one.

  "With this act I restore you to our ranks Baldwin Gryphus."And then he placed the sword on the coffin, on top of the banner.

  Misha gently laid a hand on the end of the sarcophagus. "Rest inpeace Baldwin."

  He stepped back two paces and turned to the assembled scouts. "LongScouts. Dismissed."

  Slowly the group filed out moving past their leader. George lingered ashe passed. "Don't stay here brooding too long. I'm buying at theMule."

  The fox gave a yip of laughter. "We won't."

  The old scout stared at him for a moment than nodded and walked away.

  The rest had left and only Misha, Edmund and Caroline remained.

  Edmund walked up to Misha and stood next to him. "That was nicelydone at the monument. Simple and yet solemn."

  "Thank you," was the scout's answer.

  "One question," the paladin asked. "Why in the middle ofthe day? You could have done that at night and no one would have known. Bynight fall the entire Keep will be talking about it."

  "And what will they be saying?" the fox asked enigmaticallywithout taking his eyes off of the tomb.

  "They'll remember his name and that he was a Long who died in theYuletide attack," The paladin responded.

  Misha glanced at the paladin. "And?"

  Edmund pondered that for a moment. Few outside the Long Scouts knewabout Baldwin's betrayal. If he had not happened upon the funeral processionthe paladin himself wouldn't know either. "And nothing else."

  "They'll assume he died a hero," Misha said. "Like allthe others on the monument. They'll remember his name but not his deeds. Bothgood and bad."

  "The truth has a way of revealing itself," the feline commented.  "His betrayal will be discovered."

  "Eventually," Misha answered. "But no time soon."

  "Did he have a family?" Edmund asked. Changing the subject.

  "Parents, brother and two sisters," Misha answered. "Buthe was estranged from them for a long time."

  "Do they know?" Edmund asked.

  "No, we never told them or anyone for that matter," Mishapaused. "But they probably suspected what happened to him."

  "What happened to his family."

  Misha shrugged. "We were never in touch. He lost a brother in lawin Winter Assault." The fox pointed to a spot higher up on the monument.  "His name is over there."

  "Sad," the paladin said. "How is the widow doing?"

  "We've taken care of her and the two children," the foxresponded.

  "Why?"

  Misha looked at the paladin and tilted his head to one side."What?"

  Edmund looked at the fox. "Why are you taking care of the family ofa traitor?"

  "Because we promised to take care of his family," Mishaanswered, "No matter what happened."

  "So," Edmund said slowly. "Even as you were trying toforget him you were remembering him. In a sense."

  Misha didn't speak at first but just looked at Edmund for a long moment."So many questions. So many things I'd like to say to him."

  "Why don't you tell him yourself," Edmund said. "He'sbehind you."

  Misha spun around. His eyes grew wide and his fur stood out. He staredat the figure with a mixture fear, confusion and excitement.

  The bird looked no different than when Misha had last laid eyes on hisbody. It looks as if he was still alive. The feathers were still visible,neatly arraigned as always. Except on his chest where the spear that had killedhim had penetrated past the rib cage onto right into the heart.

  His mind drifted back to all the times they had been together. All thegood and bad times. How often had they gone out to the north. Facing thedangers together. How often had they spent the night relaxing and having fun?How many drinks had they shared? How often had they shared meals? For weeks hehad thought of only Baldwin the traitor. Now he thought of Baldwin the friend.

  The ghostly Baldwin came to attention and brought his hand up slowly ina salute. "Sir," came a whisper.

  The air grew noticeably colder and he shivered uncontrollably for amoment. His breath came in short gulps that misted into small clouds when ithit the cool air.

  Dazed. Misha returned the salute.

   "I'm sorry," the shade said in avoice as soft as a night breeze.

  A thousand different things that had been going through his mindvanished. Gone were the questions along with the anger. They just didn't seemto matter anymore. It didn't matter why he did it. All that remained was regretat the loss of a good friend and compatriot. "We all do things that welater regret," Misha said slowly. "Things that felt right but turnedout all wrong. I should have treated you better."

"We're both sorry," the spiritanswered. "So much I should have done and so much I should havesaid."

  "The past is the past," Misha said quietly. "It will dous no good to worry about it."

  The fox wrapped his arms gently around Baldwin. The figure felt cold butreal. He felt the cold limbs wrap around him as well. "I wish you well andthat the Great One grant you the peace and happiness you deserve."

  "May the Great One grant you a long and happy life," thespirit responded. And with those words Baldwin vanished leaving Misha holdingempty air. As his last words faintly echoed in his ears.

  "Now perhaps we can both rest easy," Misha said softly.

   The end