[Mkguild] Delivering a Friend (1/1)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Dec 24 13:32:13 UTC 2016

Merry Christmas everyone!  My present to you all
is my latest tale of Metamor Keep!

Part 1 of 1

Metamor Keep: Delivering a Friend
By Charles Matthias

Wednesday, June 6, 708 CR

“Earl Tarkas Kardair reports the Kestrel's Wing
is more than adequate for their needs in Salinon
and Lady Deya Thores is confidant they have found
all the listening enchantments and spy-holes;
she's left a few active so Otakar thinks he can
spy on them. Jaime Verdane should now have over a
dozen pieces of the message, though they suspect
Otakar knows the jackdaw is from Metamor. Tarkas
is requesting advice on how to proceed.”

Kayla lowered the parchment on which she had
condensed the last week's worth of reports from
the ambassador to Salinon and lifted her gaze to
Metamor's chief spy. Andwyn the bat dangled from
an iron grill affixed to the ceiling, a
half-eaten peach gripped in the claws on his
right wing. He narrowed his eyes and in his
high-pitched but quiet voice replied, “We knew
Otakar would have mages observing the Verdane
heir in his donjon; our spy's secret could not be
kept forever. If Otakar is taking no action
against him then they should continue providing
the message pieces. Make sure the jackdaw knows
to find as many different approaches as he can; a
swift arrow can be excused as a soldier trying to
feed his family. We have no other way to protect him.”

The skunk scribbled the bat's words on the same
parchment. Her hand reached toward the ink pot
and paused, “How long will it be before they have
given Jaime all of the message? And what then?”
Andwyn did not share all his secrets with her,
but he rarely demurred when she asked. She had
served Prince Phil as assistant for a few years
before the rabbit returned to Whales, and had
never once betrayed a confidence. Andwyn knew she could be trusted.

“A few months more,” the bat replied. He took a
bite from the peach and stared past the skunk as
he chewed. “The message will be complete by early
next year at the latest. After will depend on
Jaime and to a certain extent on Otakar. Earl
Tarkas's negotiations are not merely a front and
who knows what might come of them. And there's
always Duke Verdane; I doubt he will act, but a
desperate father is capable of desperate things.”

Kayla nodded. She knew of both Midlands dukes
only by what she had read from first Phil and now
Andwyn's spies. Both were good men in certain
ways, and she suspected each would put the good
of their people before their personal ambitions.
But they were ambitious; Verdane had nearly
swayed Giftum to his side, while Otakar had
snatched Bozojo and Jaime in a single stroke, all
the while playing friend to Metamor. Neither
would hesitate to strike at Metamor if they thought it would benefit them.

She finished writing down Andwyn's instructions
and set the parchment aside. Another waited in
her hands. “Next we have news from Arabarb. The
southern coasts are still controlled by the last
of Calephas's men. One of the commanders has
organized the forces and is proving difficult to
rout; they've taken refuge in fortresses along
the coast and have pressed the fishermen into
their makeshift navy. Our friends in Fjellvidden
control the Arabas river and have freed the lands
to the north and east, but with Summer, many of
the men want to protect those lands, herds and
crops. They may not move until Winter or next Spring.”

“What of the mountain pass?”

“Our forces should be arriving in a week to help
clear out any of Calephas or Nasoj's men still
holding the pass.” Kayla felt her heart flutter;
Rickkter was one of the Keepers leading soldiers
and scouts to the northern mountain pass. It
would be many months before he returned home, but
after all he'd suffered she would never have
tried to stop him. “No word on whether Fjellvidden has marshaled their forces.”

Andwyn took another bite and frowned. “We will
need to send more men. It takes too long for word
to reach us from Arabarb. I must...” he turned
his head and then gestured with his free wing for
Kayla to set the parchment aside. When the Curses
turned her into a skunk she had marveled at how
much better her hearing and sense of smell had
become. She felt deaf compared to the bat.

He walked two steps along the grill and with his
free wing pulled a lever set in the ceiling. The
shutters to the single window folded open
allowing the warm midday air to flow. Kayla set a
hand on the parchment to keep it from fluttering
in the sudden breeze. A few seconds later a white
barn owl landed upon the casement and grew in
size until small hands and a human quality touched its face.

“Alban,” Andwyn greeted his spy. His voice was
neutral, but his small eyes regarded the owl with
what Kayla had come to recognize as fondness. “What have you seen?”

The owl tilted his head on its side – Kayla tried
not to cringe – and hooted, “All is well in
Metamor. Two creatures are coming down from the
Barrier Range toward us. A white gryphon and a little man upon his back.”

Kayla's heart leaped in her chest and she sat up
straight. She yearned to ask for more details.

Andwyn bobbed his head. “How far away are they?”

“They are following the road from Lyme Regis so perhaps an hour or two.”

“Thank you, Alban. Continue your watch and your
payment will be in the usual place. Worry not
about these two; they are friends to Metamor.”

“Oh, I remember them,” Alban assured him before
shrinking back to his smaller form and leaping
from the casement. Andwyn stared after the owl
for a moment before pulling the lever. The
shutter closed with a heavy metal clank.

“This is unexpected,” Andwyn noted as he turned
back to Kayla. “Go. I'll review the summaries
myself. I'm sure your friend Jessica will want to know too.”

“Thank you, Master Andwyn!” Kayla took only a few
seconds to finish organizing the parchments
before leaving the bat's office. She started
running once the door closed behind her.

----------

After months of flying, Abafouq felt he was an
extra lump of feathers and fur on Guernef's back.
His fingers cramped as they clutched the leather
strap wound about the Nauh-kaee's neck and chest.
His short legs were bruised from bracing against
the inside of flapping wings. But it was not
those wounds which hurt most. What had he nearly done? What had Guernef!

They followed the ridge of mountains northwest
from the cliffs, descending out of the cold
glacial air he'd braced for the last three months
and many years before. He savored the touches of
warmth it brought and dared to lift his head to
peer through his master's ear tufts. Where the
valley narrowed he could see the resplendent
spires of Metamor Keep. Spread before those
towers like an elegant gown was the city on the
ridge and on the hill below down to the river and
small lake. For a month they dwelt there with
their friends. Abafouq had longed to return one
day, but he never thought it would be so soon. He
felt excitement and a sullen dread, but mostly excitement.

With the last ridge of mountains at their right,
the castle and its town seemed a small jewel
nestled within the folds of a magnificent
formation. But once they passed the mountains and
there was nothing but forest between them and the
Keep he felt its immensity. His eyes alighted
upon the central tower and its belfry. He
shuddered at the barest memory of the Shriekers,
the Marquis and his allies, and the dread Censor
bound within. Even their final victory could not efface the fear.

A dark speck moved toward them from the Keep.
Abafouq only saw it when Guernef tucked his wings
and dove to the same height. Once Guernef
returned to a glide he loosened his fingers and
stared at the speck. It took almost a minute
before he saw it was a black-feathered bird.
Another minute and he recognized her.

“It's Jessica!” he shouted. Guernef flicked an ear but did not turn his head.

The hawk flew toward them for another minute
before circling in wide arcs. When they reached
her she swooped in beside them, screeched into
the wind, and then dove a little ahead and toward
the Keep. Guernef followed, banking his wings
every few seconds so as not to overtake her.

Jessica guided them to one of the grassy fields
on the northern side of the Keep near the
fortifications overlooking the edge of the ridge
and the forest beyond. Waiting below them was
another familiar face, a lady skunk reclining
against a hand cart. Jessica landed next to her
and swelled in size. Guernef swept past, beat his
wings several times, and then settled down.
Abafouq waited for the Nauh-kaee to fold his
wings before letting go of the leather strap; he
stretched his legs to work out a cramp and then
climbed down. He bent forward and ran his fingers
through the soft grass and felt a laugh burble from his throat.

Looking up he saw Jessica and Kayla crouching
over him. His laugh erupted and he thrust himself
into their arms and wings, savoring the touch of
the skunk's soft fur and the hawk's gentle feathers.

“Welcome back to Metamor, dear friends,” Jessica cawed.

----------

Kayla had brought fresh food and drink in the
hand cart. In addition to bread, cheese, and
fruit, there were strips of jerky and even a hunk
of salted but uncooked mutton Guernef devoured.
For drink she brought a pitcher of milk and a
small bottle of wine. Abafouq accepted the milk
at first but knew the wine would be gone before he dared stand up again.

“It is so good to see you both again,” Jessica
said, sharp eyes capturing both Binoq and
Nauh-kaee without moving. “We did not expect to see you again so soon.

“Nor did we,” Abafouq admitted as he reclined in
the grass. Free from the mountains, he'd stripped
the heaviest furs from his chest and legs and
piled them behind him for a pillow. He tore a
chunk of bread but did not eat it. “Where be the rest?”

Kayla sipped her wine and gestured toward the
northwest with her snout. “James is at the Glen;
he will be very happy to hear you've returned.
Charles, Lindsey, and Jerome left for Sondeshara almost two weeks ago.”

“Sondeshara? Why?”

“One of Nasoj's mages, a creature called Gmork,
cast a terrible spell on Jerome. I tried my best
but could not remove it. Charles believes his
only hope is to return to Sondeshara. What Gmork
did touched the very core of his being, his
Sondeck. I could see it but nothing more.”
Jessica fluttered her wings as she spoke. Kayla
felt the frustration in her voice; it was all too common in the last month.

“Then may the bears guide them,” Abafouq
murmured. “Let me then say one thing we all know
to be true. We have each thrown off the corruption of Marzac.”

“You felt it too?” Kayla asked.

Both Binoq and Nauh-kaee nodded, but it was
Guernef who answered them in his screeching
voice. “We had already begun our journey back
here when we were roused in the early hours
before dawn by a gasping. The wind lifted us
without wing. A harshness to its touch we had not
even noticed was gone. We both knew Marzac's final hold on us was defeated.”

“How did it affect you?” Kayla asked. “You saw what it did to me.”

“And I,” Jessica added, “tried to use what
remained of Yonson's hyacinth to change the
curses. It wanted me to use them to control all of Metamor.”

“Yajakali did wish to make the human race into
beasts like yourselves,” Abafouq mused. “I am
thinking all of our temptations were about subjugating others.”

“They each had a focus. Mine was the hyacinth.”

“And mine the dragon swords.”

Jessica nodded to the skunk and continued. “James
had his bell, Charles his son, and Lindsey had
the memory of Zhypar. We never learned what tempted Jerome. And now...”

“We may never learn.”

Abafouq frowned and finished off the loaf of
bread. He eyed the array of fruits on the platter
in the grass between them. “I faced my corruption
not long after we left Metamor three months ago.
He was being in my dreams and in my wakefulness
too. No matter where I turned I kept seeing him
stand next to the Sentinel of Forgiveness in
Qorfuu. My effaced name he showed me, taunting me
with it. He assured me my people would never
accept me. I... I was tempted to prove him wrong.
I would make my people take me back.”

He leaned against his furs and gazed at the
towers. “Two months ago I could no longer tell
dream from waking. I fell from Guernef's back and
didn't even notice. All I could see was Qorfuu. I
had a hammer in my hand, and with it I pounded
Kifqunan's head into the Sentinel of Forgiveness
until his bone filled all the cracks of my name.”

Kayla blinked, a bit of peach half-way to her muzzle. “Kifqunan?”

“One of the elders of my people. It was he who
arranged for my banishment seven years ago and
who ensured I would be marked as unforgivable by
my people last year.” Abafouq closed his eyes,
hands balled into fists. His short but stout
frame trembled. Jessica stretched out her wing
and brushed her feathers across his shoulder.

“We are your friends, Abafouq. You are safe now.”

The tension eased from the Binoq's shoulders and
a moment later from his arms. “Thank you,
Jessica. I will not say all else of what I saw.
After my tumble, Guernef helped me wake from the
corruption. To free myself I had to give up. I
hope a way can open to see my family again, but I
have no more hope to see Qorfuu. It is not my
place to change my people... I am not so wise.”

Kayla reached across the platter and gripped his
other arm. “You are wise. And you are a better
man – Binoq – than those who cast you out.”

“I thank you both again.” Abafouq took a deep
breath and sat up; both skunk and hawk returned
to where they had been. “I thought I would return
to Guernef's cave high in the Tabinoq, but even there I could not go. Guernef?”

The Nauh-kaee stepped forward and sat on his
haunches. His wings draped across his back and
his black beak and golden eyes regarded them with
both majesty and shame. “I too was tempted. Not
with taunts but thanks. The old crow came to me
and thanked me for freeing him from Marzac.”

“The old crow?” Kayla asked.

“The one coated in fire; the one we defeated
outside the Chateau. The old crow.”

Jessica bobbed her head and Kayla sucked in her
breath. “Vissarion came to me and said the same.”

Guernef nodded to the skunk. “The old crow knew
me as the wind, and he knew the wind as himself.
I listened. Abafouq had no home and the time had
come for a choice. The old crow urged me to keep
Abafouq and make him walk the Paths of the Sky.
But he advised me not to tell him. If not for the
scrap of the prophet's words drifting from ash I
would have obeyed. And so we returned here.”

Kayla blinked as she picked up a piece of cheese.
“I... I do not understand any better what the
corruption did to you than I did before you
spoke! Guernef, what are the paths of the sky?”

But the Nauh-kaee turned his face away and said nothing.

Abafouq finished a strawberry and shook his head.
“I only understand it in part. I am thinking I
would not be as you see me if I had walked them.
What I know is when we reached the plateau, the
same plateau where Guernef rescued us with
Nak-Tegehki, he told me what I must do to remain
with him. My place is with stone, not with sky,
and so we returned here instead.” The little man
cast a quick glance at the Nauh-kaee. Both Kayla
and Jessica felt sure there was far more to the tale.

Jessica cawed. “Are you both here to stay?”

“I am,” Abafouq replied. “Guernef must return to
his people. He is the Kakikagiget and has already
been gone too long from them.”

The Nauh-kaee did not turn back, but he did
speak. “I will stay long enough. I will not leave
until I know you will be well.”

Abafouq smiled to the Nauh-kaee so widely it
seemed his entire body was smiling. “Then I know I will be well!”

“What will you do?” Jessica asked.

“I be a mage. A different sort than those living
at Metamor, I am thinking. I will do as your
people do and trade my skills for food and a place to sleep.”

“You can stay with me for now,” Kayla offered.
“Rickkter is away and I would enjoy the company.”

His smile for the skunk was not as large, but no
less happy. “Thank you! Being we have settled
such matters, you must tell us more of how you,
our friends, fare. Where has Rickkter gone? And
have you wed your lovely hawk? Please, tell us all!”

For the rest of the afternoon the four friends
reclined in peace, eating the pleasant morsels,
drinking the milk and wine, speaking of the happier times ahead.

----------

With the days of the solstice near, by the time
afternoon led to evening all of the friends were
exhausted and ready for sleep. Moreso Abafouq
after so many months of journey; the last hour of
conversation was already a mystery to him. Kayla
offered him a place to stay in her quarters until
he could find one of his own, and Jessica offered
Guernef a place warm and comfortable while he was
visiting. But the Nauh-kaee demurred and so they
left him in the field to tend to himself. After
returning the hand cart and the empty platter
she'd borrowed from the Deaf Mule, Kayla escorted
Abafouq to her modest quarters inside the Keep.
She only had the one bed, but she arranged a
sleeping pallet in one corner with an array of
cushions and quilts she only used in the Winter. “It is not much, but...”

“It is more comfortable than anything I have
enjoyed since I left Metamor three months ago.”
Abafouq thanked her and after another bit of wine
to relax themselves they retired for sleep.

But sleep was something the Binoq found he could not have.

Up to the moment he laid down he was certain he
would fall asleep right away. But when he
snuggled into the quilts his eyes opened and
stayed open. Light slipped around the edges of
the tapestry covering the window, and it was
enough for his eyes to count the stones and
wooden beams in the ceiling and trace the path of
the mortar holding it all together. He attempted
to lose himself in the network of lines, turns,
and crevices, but no matter how far he wandered
his eyes always returned to the spot above his
head where two cross-beams neared but never quite met.

It was not the smell. Every animal-morphed Keeper
had some sort of unusual smell about them, but
Kayla's musk was particularly unpleasant; or it
would have been if a little spell didn't mask the
worst of it. He had enjoyed her company for many
months and had grown used to the way her
particular tang made his nose itch. And though it
was stronger within her quarter than he'd ever
experienced before, it was all the more
comforting for its unpleasantness because it meant his friend was near.

But there was something missing.

After an hour staring at the ceiling, and after
he could hear Kayla's churring slumber, Abafouq
slipped from the quilts and quietly eased out of
her quarters. The hallway beyond was narrow and
straight; it had been a broad intersection when
they arrived. He shook off his disorientation at
the Keep's peculiar magic and began walking.

After a few minutes of halls marked by the
occasional tapestry, banner, or decorative statue
of some ancient king, Abafouq reached a long
spiral staircase twisting up into darkness. The
darkness alone caught his attention; the subtle,
quiet magic of Kyia always had lanterns or
torches every twenty to thirty paces in the rest of the Keep. Why not here?

He produced a witchlight behind his head and
started up. The stairs turned to the right and
were broad enough three grown men could stand
abreast. Having spent his entire life in the
mountains, Abafouq found them an easy climb.
After he settled into a rhythm they became
relaxing. Every step led him up. Lift one knee.
Set down one foot. Lift other knee. Again and
again. On all sides was cold, gray stone. A Binoq could savor it.

The stairs, after many minutes of climbing, ended
in a wooden hatch which he pushed upward. He
gasped when he saw the four brass bells around
the central pillar of stone and the open air of
night through the four large gaps in the tower
walls. He blinked and shook his head. Where else
but the belfry did he think he had been going?

He walked toward the opening nearest the hatch
and stood, flexing his fingers. A year ago he had
braced himself in the same spot, weaving a
magical construct to pierce the vortex of magic
Yonson had erected to trap them within. He could
hear the echoes of his friends grunting and
crying out as they battled the Shriekers and
Marzac's dread wizards. He shuddered at the
memory of the Marquis's laugh. He could still
feel the pain from the card he'd been forced to touch.

Abafouq walked around the bells, a part of him
afraid of what he would find on the other side of
the belfry. He trembled with each step, a part
certain he would see a golden censer dripping
with malice. Instead he gasped in relief when he saw his friend.

“Guernef! Why are you in this place?”

The Nauh-kaee glanced at him, blinked hard avian
eyes, and then turned his resolute stare upon the
bells larger even than he. “The same as you. Remembering.”

Abafouq came to his friend's side and rested a
hand on his shoulder where the feathers met the
fur. “I am being glad to see you here. I... I do not wish you to leave.”

Guernef said nothing. This would not be the first
time in their journey they had spoken of parting
ways. It had been the rock upon which all of
their words had rested in the days since throwing
off Marzac. Almost seven years ago he was
banished from Qorfuu; it was then he had sought
the Nauh-Kaee out at Qan-af-årael's command and
after nearly freezing atop the mountains was
rescued by them. Guernef became his protector and
brought him food and taught him to survive on the
forbidding peaks. At times he felt a colleague to
the white gryphon, but at others he felt more a
servant and even at others a kept animal. And yet
Guernef was his friend, no matter his beastly
guise or manner. When Guernef left Metamor he
would be taking a part of Abafouq with him.

The Binoq's gaze followed his friend's. The brass
bells were broader than the Nauh-kaee and even
when a sudden wind coursed through the belfry the
bells were unmoved. He could not help but recall
the carillon James had dropped on Zagrosek in the
Chateau. But were they had oozed a conscious
malevolence, these merely carried the taint of memory.

“What do you see?” Abafouq asked. With so little
light even the brass appeared dull. Other than
their shape the Binoq could see nothing in them.

Guernef stretched out his wing and brushed it
across the top of Abafouq's head. “I see the
place where ancient winds sought to drive the
clouds yet to come back to the sea. Those winds
are gone, their touch only in the whispers of
memory. New winds will come, a breeze, a
blizzard, they will come. I listen to the winds,
and am carried by them. You are strong; they
buffet you but as the mountain you do not move.”

The avian beak and eyes turned, capturing Abafouq
with his characteristic intensity. “I see a Binoq
who must remain so. The Path of the Sky is mine
and I have walked it. The wind may shelter the
stone for a time, and even may wish to abide and
be as stone for a time, but it must go and return
as it will. You are my friend, Abafouq. This
parting will not be our last. But you have
friends here too. Stone is never alone.”

Abafouq rested his hand on Guernef's beak and
then leaned his face in. He laughed, chest
tensing, eyes closed tight to keep from crying.
The surface of the beak was hard and though
smooth in appearance, was crisscrossed with
subtle cracks. Never before had he clutched the
Nauh-kaee's head so. Guernef spread his wing
across the Binoq like an awning. Despite the cool
mountain breeze the two friends felt nothing but warmth.

And together they stayed until the first light of
an early Summer's dawn made the bells glisten
with radiance, pure and bright with Metamor's pride.