[Mkguild] Bearing the Wolf-Touched (2 of 4)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Jan 14 22:15:06 UTC 2016

Part 2 of 4.

Metamor Keep: Bearing the Wolf-Touched
by Charles Matthias

May 16, 708 CR

They found a third of the Glen had gathered by
the lake to welcome the dragons. Baron Avery was
there with Angus the badger at his side holding a
conversation with the larger of the two dragons.
The two Avery boys were straddling the same
dragon's back and pretending they were soaring
through the sky; another dozen Glen children
scampered about his long tail and toes, or
cavorted with the younger dragon who kept his
wings tucked in tight as he pranced about the
shore. Charles beamed on seeing his own children among them.

As they rode out of the woods and came into view,
the younger dragon lifted its head and in a voice
both familiar and strange, cried out, “Charles! James!”

James, ears lifted high, broke into a warm smile
as he beheld the dragon. With a braying laugh, he
murmured, “It's Lindsey. He really is a dragon!”

Charles took a deep breath and waved his arm as
they approached. Behind the youthful dragon he
saw his wife anxiously observe their children
scampering over a creature almost big enough to
swallow them whole. She met his gaze and the
tension in her eyes eased. “Lindsey? Is that
you?” Charles called out. He drew back the reins,
bringing his pony Malicon to a stop a dozen paces
from either dragon. Malicon stomped his hooves,
as did the horses his friends rode, all wary in
the presence of such large reptiles.

The gray-scaled dragon bobbed his head and spread
his jaws in a wide-smile. “It is! How do I look?”

Charles could only stare and stammer until he
chuckled. With a bemused smile stretching his
snout, the rat spread his arms wide and nodded.
“You look magnificent; you make a very handsome
dragon, Lindsey. I never... never would have
guessed it. Are you still a child?”

Lindsey turned his head toward Pharcellus whose
purple-flecked golden eyes cast between the Lord
of the Glen and his younger brother. When he
glanced back he bore an expression none of them
could discern. “Not as Jessica made me, no. When
I became a dragon I was only half this size! A
day before we left Fjellvidden, Jessica's spell
shattered and I swelled in size; thankfully I
wasn't flying or I know I would have crashed.
Pharcellus tells me I am as big as a dragon my
age would be, so,” he seemed to shrug his wings, “here I am!”

James blinked, nostrils wide with a smile, as he
slipped down from his mount. “As old as you were as a man?”

“More or less,” Lindsey admitted, a shifting of
his chest suggesting a dragon's shrug. He lowered
his neck and gave little Baerle a lick behind the
ears. She squeaked and scampered into her mother's arms.

Garigan took the reins of all three steeds while
Charles and James approached with swift step.
Lindsey leaned back on his haunches – long tail
tripping a few Glen children who laughed and
tumbled back to their feet only to try and jump
the dragon's tail as it swung past again – and
spread his arms wide. He was large enough both
rat and donkey could hug him at the same time without bumping snouts.

Warmth filled his vermilion-touched gray scales.
Smooth along his neck and shoulders, Charles held
tight with joy at the reunion. Lindsey's head
bent down and he could feel the underside of the
dragon's jaws touching his back. While the rat
had ridden dragons in the past, and had savored
slipping the bonds of earth to touch the face of
the heavens themselves, he had never actually
hugged a dragon as a man hugs his dearest
companions. His heart trembled and he felt a
subtler transport no less profound than the
embrace of sky, perhaps even moreso.

A little voice broke his hold, though it only
made his heart grow. “Dada! I play with dragon!”

He let go of Lindsey and turned to pick up his
daughter Bernadette who stared at him bright eyed
and unafraid. “Would you like to give the dragon a kiss on the nose?”

Bernadette's whiskers backed against her snout
and her tail curled against his arm and side.
James laughed while his two boys tugged on the
rat's tabard begging their turn. Lindsey blinked
and tried to smile at the little rat without
revealing any fangs; it was an awkward expression
at best but it made Bernadette giggle. Charles
lifted her gentle and sure, while Lindsey leaned
his snout forward until she could reach. Her nose
touched the narrow snout where the nostrils
flared and then she giggled again, her whiskers twitching all over.

Lindsey patiently waited as Charles lifted his
two sons in turn so they could give him a kiss on
the nose too. Kimberly brought Baerle and after
her brothers had their turn, handed her to
Charles for one more dragon's kiss. His children
had not even had all of their turns before other
Glen children began begging a similar boon from
their curious parents. But Lindsey lowered
himself back to all fours and sidled next to the
rat. “There is a reason we came here to the Glen
first, Charles. You're the only one who might be
able to help him.” Lindsey stared off into the
woods near where they stood and the rat followed his gaze.

He knew the pose before he recognized the
distorted face; easily mistaken for a Follower at
prayer, the figure was bent over hands clasped
together over his chest, one a fist and the other
a cup to hold it, while a placid detachment ruled
the lines of the face and the stress of the
muscles. It was the pose of a Sondecki seeking and exploring their Calm.

It was his childhood friend Jerome Krabbe.

And yet it was not.

Jerome did not sport triangular, black-furred
ears, nor did he possess a long, lustrous black
tail. His friend did not stand upon four-toed
paws with legs shaped like a dog's haunches, nor
were his arms covered in patches of fur with
fingers ending in claws. And his fellow Sondecki
did not have a cleft lip with long red tongue
dangling between fangs befitting a beast.

And yet, this was Jerome. The vision Ba'al had
shown Charles had been true, at least as to this
dreadful metamorphosis the vile thing called
Gmork had wrought. His heart fell from its
elation as he stepped from the dragon's side toward his childhood friend.

“Garigan, attend me please,” Charles said, never
letting his eyes waver. The cry of children fell
behind him; the murmuring words of Lord Avery and
the booming reply of Pharcellus were lost amidst
the forest din. He felt the ferret's presence at
his right side as a stirring against his whiskers
and a green-clad, gray-furred shape at the edge
of his vision. The creature in its Calm was all
he could truly see. No other Glenner dared approach.

His tongue moved, and with it sprang forth the
Song of the Sondeck. Its contours were joined by
Garigan only a second later, and they lifted
their paws across the loam, roots, and stubble
toward the beast in Calm. Jerome's ears turned at
the sound, and his face distended, nose darkening
as a snout stretched forward. In only seconds the
face of his friend dissolved into a black-furred
wolf's head. Touches of silver gave the beastly
visage an aura of nobility, but it was still not
the face of a Keeper. Charles knew several wolf
Keepers both at Metamor and the Glen, but there
were subtle differences in the brow, the position
of the eyes, the width of the cheeks and
thickness of the neck all lacking in the Sondecki.

The wolf tilted back its head and howled with
them the Song of the Sondeck. Charles watched the
rest of his friend's body dwindle inside the
tattered remnants of his robe. Arms lowered
before him as fingers drew backward, paws
pressing into the hard earth a moment later. His
chest barreled outward even as it shrank and
coated itself in the same silvery-black fur
adorning his face. The robe melted into his now
lupine shape until no trace of the man remained.

Two Keepers and a wolf, all Sondeckis, sang
together the ancient song heedless of whoever
might listen. And as they sang, both Charles and
Garigan studied their friend. Unlike more
conventional mages, neither possessed mage-sight;
the ability of either Jessica or Murikeer to
manipulate the threads of magic as a weaver
worked the threads of cloth was beyond them or
any Sondecki. Rather they could sense the Sondeck
as a presence within which they extended past
their flesh as they willed. The curses of Metamor
had touched the Sondeck only subtly; Charles had
needed to find a new Calm, but with only a little
practice had recovered all of his former
abilities. What they felt in Jerome was much different.

To the very core of his being the Sondeck itself
had been corrupted. What should have seemed to
them as the flesh within flesh was the pelt of a
wild animal. The refined touch of a human finger
was the sharp prick of a claw. There was nothing
human remaining in Jerome's Sondeck.

Charles felt his heart tighten even within the
beauty they shared; little wonder Jerome had become a wolf to howl the Song.

The rat leaned toward his friend, reaching out a
hand to touch him on the shoulder – physical
contact would allow him to pry deeper than mere
projection alone. His fingers brushed fur...

Jaws snapped shut, spit flashing in the air,
golden eyes bonfires in the night of Jerome's
black fur. The attack had been so swift the rat
still stared in shock even after the thunder-clap
of those snapping jaws faded into echoes. Garigan
had his arm around the rat's shoulder, having
yanked him back as fast as the strike had come.

The Song cut short, Charles gasped, his voice
choking in his throat, “Jerome! It is I! Charles!”

The wolf stared back, silent for a single moment,
fangs glimmering beneath stretched jowls, before
recognition came. The eyes closed and the snout
shrank back. Paws stretched to fingers, the robe
collapsed out from the black fur, and the posture
shifted upright. The almost-man sat upon beastly
haunches, head hanging low, and wept. “Charles,”
the voice was Jerome's; at least it had not changed. “Charles, help me.”

“I must touch you. Will the beast strike?”

“I am the beast, Charles. I will not strike.”
Jerome closed his eyes, pressing a tear from
each, and the faint lines of a Sondecki seeking their Calm returned.

Both Charles and Garigan took a deep breath and
the ferret let his master's arm go. Charles
smiled thanks to him and then stepped closer.
There was an exposed patch of human flesh at the
base of Jerome's neck; the Sondecki robe, had it
not been in tatters, would have covered it.
Charles took a deep breath and then laid his palm
down. Jerome's ears lifted and his tail
straightened, but he otherwise kept still.

He felt deeper.

Darkness surrounded him. He crouched on a floor
of dank stone and a bad air lingered, poisoning
his lungs. The bitter taste of iron was fresh on
his tongue. Something approached, awkward as it crawled on all fours.

He felt a breathless rush through the forest; fir
and pine pressed close on either side, their
branches brushing his sides, needless scattering and catching in his fur.

Good sand shifted beneath his feet, warm with the afternoon sun.

His limbs turned and twisted in the practiced
ease of many years; his breath came in controlled
intervals, each timed with every lifting and setting of his arms.

His body stretched as he propelled through the
cold air, arms before him ready to greet and grip
the earth to push him into his next bound.

A face peered out of the woods, eyes golden, fur
gray, with an arm outstretched clutching a
faintly glimmering bauble. The jowls curled back
in a smile, and the jaws stretched wide, reaching
for him. A long, slavering red tongue flecked spittle across bone-white fangs.

Charles yanked his arm from Jerome's shoulder and
realized he was trembling. Garigan had his arm
about his shoulders trying to still him. The
rat's tail lashed and thumped against the ground
as he collapsed into a heap, long toes splaying
inches from Jerome's haunches. The mostly-wolf
Sondecki kept still for several seconds more,
before a man-like visage drew back the snout and
regarded the rodent with at first a hopeful
glance; but this decayed into one of sullen
remorse. He averted his gaze and whimpered.

“Master, are you well?” Garigan asked; a subtle
power flowed from the ferret's paws and into the
rat's arms, calming his quivering muscles.

Charles could offer no answer. Transfixed by what
had been his friend but now was wolf-beast he
felt a horror. In the space of not quite three
months this deformation had been perpetrated.
Somewhere beneath the fur, the fangs, the claws,
and the madness was the man. Either whatever
powers Gmork had were not able to efface it
completely, or Gmork had not finished what he'd begun.

Neither mattered for Charles; he could do nothing for Jerome in any case.

“Master?”

Charles sighed and shook his head, before lifting
an eye toward the ferret. “Nay, Garigan. I am not
well. Jerome needs Sondecki healers and I know
not of the art. His very Sondeck has been
corrupted. There is no one – not a single soul –
in all of Galendor who can restore him.”

If Jerome was disturbed by the rat's words there
was no sign. His furred ears remained alert but
did not turn to catch their words. His eyes were
closed and did not tremble. What was left of the
snout continued to whimper but nothing more.

The rat's heart clenched as he remembered what
another Sondecki had told him from the doorstep of Heaven.

But very soon you will have the chance to aid two
who suffer greatly. One of those you have already
met on your journey. The other is a dear friend
we both know. When he comes to you, the time will
have arrived for you to set aright the wound that
broke us all. You will know it, never fear.

The wound... broke us all. All... Ladero, Krenek,
Jerome, and Charles. They had arrived in
Sondeshara at same time as children and had
progressed through the ranks together. All had
remarked on their deep friendship It lasted until
the day Charles fled never to return.

Never.

His claws pressed into his palms and his tail
twisted beneath him where he sat. Had he a
chewstick between his incisors he would have bit
it in two. Charles pushed himself back to his
feet and thrust his tail behind him. For one
moment he felt a terrible fear, the same fear
which had kept him running for years and what
drove him to hide at Metamor; this fear made him
a rat, gave him whiskers, fur and a tail. This
fear drove Krenek in search of him where he fell
into the hands of Marzac. This fear kept him away
when Ladero was slain. This fear made him lie to
the man who needed him now when he'd finally been
found and who had put his own place in the
Sondecki Order at risk to protect him.

The time had arrived for him to set right this
wound. Charles intended to never return. Now he must never fear.

“Garigan, please stay with Jerome. I must speak
to my wife.” The ferret nodded, eyes widening for
a moment before a hardness filled them. He
stepped closer to the beast-man and crouched at
his side, a gray cloud passing before a black storm.

Charles emerged from the forest to find little
had changed. Children romped around the dragons
who kept still aside from an occasional nudge
with snout and tail to keep little claws or fangs
from harming their wings. Glenner parents watched
closely though their anxiety had long since
passed; these were friendly and gentle dragons.
Many younger Glen scouts also stood close by,
each eager to touch the dragons once they saw an
opening. Charles forced a smile to his snout as
he was greeted by many friends with whom he'd
served; he stopped only to address the dragons.

“Lindsey, Pharcellus,” their heads swung toward
him, large eyes bright and focused. He felt an
involuntary shudder echo through his fur. “Thank
you for bringing my friend here. You were right;
I know what must be done. Please stay with him
for now as he still needs your help too.”

“We have already vowed not to leave him until we
know he will...,” Pharcellus began before one of
the Avery boys jumped and grabbed him around the
neck, yanking his head back down. The dragon
responded by belching a cloud of smoke at the young squirrel.

“Until he will be well,” Lindsey finished for his
older brother. “He is our friend too, Charles. Never fear.”

He smiled and half-turned so he could see his
wife among the other parents watching. Never
fear. He stepped toward her and put a hand upon
her wrist. Her eyes met his, uncertain. One hand
reached up to the purple stone at her neck.
“Milady, there is something I must tell you. Let
us take a walk around the lake.”

He offered his arm. She slipped her hand through
and together they passed out of the crowd and
began a quiet walk, the chorus of Spring and the
rippling of the water covering their whispered voices.

----------

“Sondeshara!” Kimberly exclaimed, one hand
clutching at the stone as her step carried her a
half-step to her husband's side. Up till then
they had pressed so close even their tails
brushed across each other with their stride; the
sudden separation brought a chill to his fur.
“It's so far away! I.. I cannot even imagine how
far it must be! Charles, my Charles, why do you have to go there?”

“The only people in all the world who have the
ability to heal Jerome are there, my Lady.” He
stopped and turned, grasping her hands in his and
pressing them tight. There was an apology in his
voice, but firmness too. His eyes found hers and
kept them, trembling little things in need of
warmth and assurance. “There are three choices
before us. If we all remain here, Jerome is
doomed to be a beastly slave to a monster for the
rest of his days. I cannot leave him to such a
terrible fate! I will not! His only hope is at
Sondeshara; there he will have Sondecki healers
who understand how to mend his wounds. Either I
accompany him to Sondeshara or I send him on
alone. Either way I will end up in Sondeshara.”

Kimberly shook her head, fighting to draw back
her hands. “Nay, how can it be? My Charles, how will it be?”

“Jerome was sent by the Sondeckis to find me and
bring me back. He choose not to and has gone into
hiding of his own. And now it cost him dearly. If
I were to send him to Sondeshara alone the other
Sondeckis would learn from him where I am anyway.
One night, months, a year or more from now, they
would come here and steal me away with none the
wiser. You would wake to an empty bed with no
trail to hunt. I would spend the rest of my days
in Sondeshara a prisoner; we would never see each other again.”

Her whiskers flattened against her jowls and she
wormed one hand free. She beat at his fists, her
eyes wetting with tears. “But if you go I still will never see you again!”

“Nay, my Lady!” He caught her hand against and
held it to his chest, pulling her in close. He
stroked his fingers across the soft flesh of her
ear and drank in her scent, one filled with fear.
“You will not lose me. If I go back with Jerome,
whatever sentence is meted out in recompense for
abandoning the Sondeckis will be the less. But,
aye, there is a chance I will never be allowed to
leave Sondeshara again. I will not be parted from
you or from our children. The only way is for you
all to come with me to Sondeshara.”

Her jaws opened and he could see her mouthing the
words, “Come with you...” as she stared with eyes
as wide as any rat could offer.

“Aye. If we all go, then no matter what happens,
we will be together.” Charles draped his arm
behind her neck and touched his nose to hers. “I
will not be parted from you or the children
again. I was gone far too long to fight Marzac. I
must take Jerome to Sondeshara. It will be a
wonderful adventure for the children to see new
lands. And you can learn about where I come from,
my Lady. I can show you the beauty of the desert and its mountains.”

Kimberly's claws pressed against his chest. “But,
Charles, this is our home! Here, the Glen. You
want us to leave with no hope of ever coming back?”

“Want? Nay! I want to stay here for the rest of
my life. But I cannot, you cannot ask me, to
condemn Jerome to this fate. Did you see him, my
Lady? We merely look like beasts. He is one. His
only hope is to return to Sondeshara.” He
swallowed and pulled her tight against his chest,
snout nuzzling one ear as he whispered. “I have
lived every day for the past ten years with the
fear the day had come when the Sondeckis would
find me and drag me back for punishment. The only
hope we have of making this our home and of
spending our lives together, my Lady, is to go to
Sondeshara together as a family. If they see me
come willingly, and if they see you and the
children and what Metamor has made of us, their
hearts will be opened to leniency.”

“Can you be so sure?”

He said nothing for a moment. Across the lake
they could hear the laughter of the children
including their own as they cavorted with the
dragons. Charles turned his ears to listen for
several seconds; the sound of the forest was
always there around them, but now it was the
whispering background – a mere stage upon which his children played.

His voice cut through their squeaks of delight
with the gentlest of breaths. “I am sure it will
help. I am not sure we will be able to return,
but I cannot imagine the Sondeckis have fallen so
far as to be without compassion. The man who
drove me from them is dead and I know what he
wanted to make of the Sondeckis was resented and
resisted by others. I have hope, my love. I am
not certain, but Eli did not give us certainty in
this life. He tells us not to be afraid. I am
more afraid of staying here than of going, my
Lady. Our family will be safe. We will not be torn asunder again.”

Kimberly trembled against his chest for a moment
and then slipped free. She continued the walk
around the lake, her snout lowered, eyes lost in
contemplation of the rocks and grass at her toes.
Charles stayed by her side but said nothing more.
Together they walked in silence for a few
minutes, bringing them three-quarters of the way
around the lake before his wife finally found words to say.

“You are not giving me a choice. There is nothing
I can say to keep you from going to Sondeshara.
And even if there were, if what you say of your
friend is true, I would not say it. You are too
good a man and I love you too much to ask you to
abandon him. But, Charles, oh, Charles, you speak
of a voyage dreadful and long! How will we keep
our family safe there and back again? How will we
help our little boy with his dreams? Will we come
back here? I don't want to lose our home.”

“I don't want to either, but it is something we
must risk. What we will not risk is losing each
other. Nor will we risk harm to our son. I do
have an idea...” Charles told her. By the time
they made a full circuit of the lake she agreed.

Several eyes were upon them as they returned to
the cavorting children and the friendly dragons.
Charles smiled to James and Lindsey before
striding to where Lord Avery and Pharcellus
spoke. “Pharcellus, my friend, I have a little favor to ask of you.”