[Mkguild] MK: Homecoming (3/3)

cokane8116 at aol.com cokane8116 at aol.com
Sat Jan 16 21:55:41 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: C. Matthias <jagille3 at vt.edu>
To: Hallan Mirayas <hallanmirayas at hotmail.com>; Metamor Keep <mkguild at lists.integral.org>
Sent: Sat, Jan 16, 2016 1:57 pm
Subject: Re: [Mkguild] MK: Homecoming (3/3)

>     Their defense was tiered, one layer upon
> another.  Wolfram carved Long Scout symbols
> into the trees on the edges of the clearing,
> pressing his hand on the bark next to each to
> leave a familiar scent should Drift have
> forgotten the meaning of the symbols.  Misha
> assembled the pieces of Drift's battlestaff,
> Whirlwind, and wedged it into a cleft in one of
> the rocks.  After the fight in the storm the
> staff had been too damaged to repair but Misha
> had brought it anyway.  Charles hung a Metamor
> banner on it and Saroth asked a gentle breeze
> to keep the rampant stallion insignia
> visible.  Merai and Tychicus prepared more
> forceful surprises in case the memory jog went
> badly.  In the middle of it all, a pan sizzled

>    Finally, they needed to draw the Beast's
> attention, to bring him to them on their
> timetable rather than his own.  Once they had
> finished their preparations, Wolfram had the
> answer to that: a curving ram's horn plated
> with brass on the inside.  Misha's brow
> furrowed as he looked from it to its mirrored
> twin on Wolfram's head.  "Is that, by any chance, your own horn?" he asked.
>
>     "The one Drift broke off, yes.  Pascal repaired it for me."
>
>     "And you didn't get it 'repaired' back onto your head?"
>
> Wolfram shrugged.  "Waste not, want
> not.  It'll grow back, and I get a story and a battle horn out of the bargain."

That's another awesome thing about being an
anthro.  I love that Wolfram did that.  :-)

>     Faint crashes in the deep forest heralded
> the approach of the Beast, growing louder with
> alarming rapidity.  Charles flicked out his
> Sondeshike and moved closer to Merai.  His ears
> lowered and his whiskers backed.  "I hope this
> plan works, Misha.  I only survived my last
> fight against him because I had... help.  If he
> does not remember, this will not end
> well."  Turning his back to the clearing and
> the fire, Charles watched their backs should
> the approaching beast circle around to come at their flanks.

True on two levels.  Yajakali stopped one
attack.  Another ensured Charles survived because
for one moment Drift recognized him.

>    Treetops started vanishing on a
> straight-line approach from the northeast,
> clouds of leaves and limbs erupting into the
> air as their trunks were shattered or smashed
> down.  Misha tightened his grip on Whisper and
> bit back the 'me, too' in his mind from
> becoming anything more than a heartfelt
> prayer.  "Here we go, people.  Stay focused and
> work together.”  Everyone’s turned, save the
> rat, toward the path of destruction rapidly
> approaching.  Misha saw even Charles glance
> back over his shoulder briefly.  The fox took a
> breath and tightened his hands upon the haft of his axe.  “Saroth?  Now."

Yeah, the treetops vanishing is a great visual too.

>     With a gesture from the weather dragon a
> breeze uncoiled itself from around the fire and
> raced out to meet the onrushing beast.  It
> carried a message, a very simple message, yet
> one that stopped the Beast in his tracks; the
> smell of cooking trail-biscuit.  Silence
> settled on the forest like an uneasy fog.  Ten
> of the longest seconds of Misha's life followed
> before Merai broke in.  "He's moving again,
> slowly this time.  I think he's
> circling."  Elemacil lowered, its point
> tracking on the Beast, and a moment later Merai
> amended an affirmative, pivoting in place to maintain her facing.

I like how they are reaching out to him here.

>     The ram banged a pan against his
> shield.  "Hey, Drift!" he yelled.  "Yes, you,
> out in the forest!  Stop sneaking around and get in here!  Dinner's-"
>
>     A cavernous growl interrupted him.  In the
> shadows of the forest, a pair of golden lights
> appeared.  A red mouth opened into a snarl
> beneath them, lined with darkly gleaming teeth
> and a tongue stained black with lutin
> blood.  The head of a monstrous wolf resolved
> itself from the darkness, its glowing golden
> eyes showing neither pupil nor white.  A
> crimson paw the size of a draft horse's hoof
> emerged into the light, followed by its
> fellow.  With the arrogant hauteur of a
> conquering king and the narrow-eyed suspicion
> of a combat veteran, the War Wolf of Revonos
> strode into the clearing.  This was a creature
> that expected an attack at any moment, expected
> to utterly destroy those who tried, and dripped
> with the blood of his enemies to prove his capability.
>
>     Exchanging a glance between them, Saroth
> and Tychicus began to applaud.  This had been
> Charles' addition to the plan.  If Drift felt
> like he was still in the arena it would be the
> spectators who applauded, not the
> combatants.  There was no contest of might to
> be had from spectators.  It worked; the wolf
> froze in confusion with one paw lifted
> mid-stride.  The two dragons were the only ones
> with hands free to clap but, unasked for,
> Wolfram let out a whoop worthy of the Summer Festival.

And a very clever addition too!  For the first
time in all this I think Caracark is confused.

>     The beast's head snapped around, locking on
> Wolfram like a lodestone to iron.  Golden eyes
> bored into the ram for a long moment, then
> opened suddenly wide.  Ears rose, pulling its
> head upward out of an aggressive snarl.  Its
> jaw sagged open and its lifted forepaw dropped
> back to the ground, bracing as if the earth had
> suddenly begun to shift like a swaying ship
> deck underneath it.  Silence descended on the
> clearing as the applause faltered.
>
>     "Drift?" Misha spoke quietly.  He hadn't
> meant to, but the name slipped past his lips before he could stop it.
>
>     The effect was instant.  Ears flashing
> straight backwards, the Beast flinched as if
> from a blow, then froze as every muscle in his
> body went iron-taut.  For a moment, nothing
> moved in the clearing except the faint wafts of
> frost that passed for the Beast's breath.  Then
> slowly, as slowly as an iron statue being
> dragged over barren rock, the wolf's head
> turned from Wolfram.  Tychicus and Saroth
> passed under its scrutiny with barely a
> flicker.  Merai warranted a tightening of the
> eyes, a strangled, agonized whimper.  Charles
> evoked a snarl and a shiver of pelt as muscle fought muscle.  And then

>     Kill him.

And the Beast has found its target.

>     To the end of his days, Misha could never
> say how he dodged that first strike.  All he
> knew for certain was that one moment he had
> been staring into the wolf's eyes from across
> the clearing, and in the next heartbeat Whisper
> rang in his hands as its flat smashed across
> the leading edge of a red blur.  The axe rang
> in his head, too, a cacophony of warning tones
> that he had no time to process.  He had
> sidestepped, but not enough: even with those
> deadly jaws diverted, the huge war-wolf's
> shoulder sent Misha spinning to the ground,
> just barely missing a disemboweling sweep of a
> massive paw already coated in the gore of
> countless creatures. The fox tumbled a few feet
> onto his back, the world swimming briefly out
> of focus before a huge, black-toothed maw
> loomed over him, teeth bared for the kill.

Whisper is your friend, Misha.  You do not know
how many times you owe it your life.

>>>He knows it! It pays to carry a 3000 year old  magic artifact!

>     Gloved hands jerked Misha to his
> feet.  "On- on your feet, sir." Shock stumbled
> Wolfram's words, but Misha paid him no
> attention.  Drift had slalomed through the holy
> wards and weakened patches of ground that Merai
> and Tychicus had made as if he could see them.  How- ?

I'm hearing Sarah Conner tell Kyle Reese, "On
your feet, soldier!"  I'm sure that wasn't
intentional, but it's what sprang to mind.

>     The wolf wheeled around, paws splaying, and
> Misha's eyes widened.  He'd seen dragons take
> that stance before.  "Cover!" he yelled, and
> tackled Wolfram to the ground as the Beast's
> maw opened.  As the rest of the party
> scattered, Tychicus mirrored the beast's
> stance, robe dropping away as he grew.  His
> chest ballooned with indrawn breath until the
> moment the war wolf's stomach tensed, and then
> dragon's fire and hell-born ice crashed
> together between them like the fists of
> giants.  With a thunderous, ground-shaking
> roar, each nullified the other.  Fog exploded
> from the collision of extremes, the roiling
> cloud instantly whiting out visibility to a
> bare handful of strides.  The evenly matched
> contest lasted only a second before Tychicus'
> fire blasted suddenly unopposed, coring a hole
> through the cloud and lighting distant trees on fire.  The wolf had vanished.

Naturally, he knows when his attacked is matched;
no sense wasting energy when it won't work.

>     "Drift?  Are you-"

Misha, you really need to stop doing that.

>     A wedge of Longfugos force slashed through
> the air a fraction of a second too late to
> intercept the blast, but it drew the Beast's
> attention.  "Merai!  Wolfram!" Charles yelled
> as he ran into the assault path.  "Get Misha
> out of that ice before he
> suffocates!"  Spinning up his Sondeshike as a
> shield, he turned his full focus on the beast
> before him.  Filling his lungs as full as he
> could make them, he shouted, "Drift Edward
> Snow!  You know me!  You know who I am!  We met
> in the Arena of Blood, where you saved my life!  Now help me save yours!"
>
>     The Beast snarled.  Was this tiny creature
> a fool?  He faced Carcarak!  The Beast of
> Revonos!  The foremost servant and chosen
> champion of the Lord of the Sundered
> Shield! Not even the lowest, most witless of
> imps would dare to bring a shield into his presence, and this... this...
>
>     Rat...

Recognition!  It was only a week ago after all!

>     "You don't need to fight anymore- we are
> both free!  Our chains are broken!  Come back to us as family!  Come home!"
>
>     With a deafening roar, the Beast erupted
> into sudden, brutal violence.  Thrashing about
> like a hooked fish, he slammed his head against
> nearby boulders hard enough to crack stone, bit
> his own limbs until bone gleamed, and churned a
> bloody circle into the earth around
> him.  Tattered flesh and shattered bone healed
> as quickly as Charles remembered, only to be
> torn and broken anew in a mad paroxysm of
> self-destructive fury, and Charles backed away
> in shock in spite of himself.  His shielding spin faltered.

Not quite the reaction Charles hoped for, but a
few moments fighting himself is good for Misha.

>      Had Charles' reactions been any slower, he
> would not have caught the sudden shift from
> thrashing to strike.  The flurry of force
> punches he hurled into the Beast's path split
> the wolf into three directions as it dodged,
> but the ones that sprinted left and right
> shattered into snow spray almost
> immediately.  Only the one who had leaped
> skyward landed whole, staggering and
> panting.  Many of the hits had landed, but it
> only seemed to make the beast, if possible,
> even angrier.  Gathering his feet back under
> him in a bound, the war wolf hurled himself,
> jaws agape, at Charles.... and at the same time
> held back, inhaling for another blizzard.
>
>     With only a fraction of a second to deduce
> which threat was real, and the tattletale chain
> obliterated in the earlier explosion, Charles
> set himself for a Longfugos air slash to
> counter the blizzard.  The farther wolf looked
> solid and real, while the leaping one flickered
> and shimmered as if not able to fully
> solidify.  He guessed correctly: the pouncing
> beast passed right through him with barely a
> chill.  But then the far one, mid-breath,
> flickered and faded and Charles had just enough
> time to hear movement behind him before two
> massive hindpaws slammed into his
> shoulders.  Adamantite-coated claws knifed into
> his back, lifting him from the ground and hurling him across the clearing.
>
>     Saroth, returning to the fray, swerved out
> of a swooping side attack to pluck Charles from
> midair, unconscious and bleeding.  He winged
> away, getting the rat to safety, but the
> Beast's open maw tracked on them, preparing to
> blast the bronze weather dragon from the sky.

That's twice now I've let you beat my character up.  You owe me big time. ;-)

>     Merai lifted a hand in a warding gesture, a
> glowing barrier sphere rising up around her,
> but the shadow-wreathed servant of the Lord of
> the Sundered Shield cleaved through it with
> contemptuous ease.  Arriving in a blur of
> speed, darkly gleaming claws carved apart the
> light like swords, shadow and light tangling
> and dissipating in smoky swirls and
> eddies.  Frosted teeth bared to bite, but Merai
> and Elemacil were waiting.  The holy sword
> flashed, forcing the hellbeast to flinch away,
> and Merai swung with all her strength, guided
> by the sword's spirit toward a decapitating strike.

Nice to see something actually hurt him.

>     Wolfram charged into their midst, bulling
> shield-first into the Beast's shoulder.  Teeth
> snapped shut on air instead of priestess, and
> white fire furrowed the wolf's cheek and ear
> rather than spearing through his
> brain.  Carcarak rolled with the tackle,
> snarling over his stolen kill, and launched
> Wolfram into the air with all four paws.  As
> the swordless fighter land in a clanking
> sprawl, the Beast turned away with a dismissive snort.
>
>     It was a mistake he would regret only
> seconds later.  As Carcarak inhaled to freeze
> Merai and Misha in one blow, Wolfram's hooved
> foot slammed upward between the Beast's hind
> legs.  The building icy blast choked off in an
> anguished spray of frozen shards.  In instant
> response, one hind foot lashed out, catching
> the frantically backpedaling ram across the
> shield like a thunderstroke.  With that much
> power behind it, even a glancing blow smashed
> Wolfram off his feet, nearly wrenching his
> shoulder out of socket.  The Beast followed a
> moment later, whirling and pouncing with a
> murderous roar.  Metal-clad teeth cleaved into
> the ram's upraised shield, crumpling it around
> his arm like cheap tin foil.  His blazing eyes
> promised to cleave that arm apart and then rip
> out the stump, then do the same to the other
> arm, then each of the legs, and then...  He
> didn't get the time.  Wolfram gritted his teeth
> against the pain, seized Carcarak's ear with
> his left hand, and slammed his horned head
> against the beast's brow.  It didn't do any
> damage, but the forgotten familiarity of the
> move bought the ram a moment's pause.  He put
> it to best use.  "Payback for when you kicked
> me there, Drift," Wolfram growled, his face
> dripping with blood from the Beast's gory
> fur. "Back in training when we first met.  Remember?"

And this is why we love Wolfram. :-)

>>>That is a great scene! :D

>     Then Misha broke free of his
> fast-disintegrating ice prison.  He hefted
> Whisper into a crossing block.  "Drift-"

Misha?  SERIOUSLY?

>>>Seriously!

>     Drift whirled, death in his eyes, and
> slammed his jaws shut on the black axe's
> shaft.  The runic weapon struck back instantly,
> ripping life energy from the beast like a
> wolverine eviscerating a rabbit.  Carcarak,
> desperate to stay alive, pulled every last drop
> of daedra energy from the broken linking spell
> embedded in the collar around his neck,
> devouring every spell and enchantment ever
> woven into it or through it.  The collar,
> overstrained far beyond anything for which it
> had ever been designed, flared white-hot for a
> tenth of a second before detonating, hurling
> Misha, Whisper, and the War Wolf in three separate directions.

This is why you need to carefully read the safety
precautions for a Runic Weapon before touching it.

>     Silence fell, broken only by the TCHOKK of
> Whisper burying itself two feet into a boulder as it landed.

> Cradling his right arm carefully across his
> stomach to avoid all of the sheared and
> crumpled edges of the destroyed shield wrapped
> around it, Wolfram struggled to his feet,
> muttering something he'd probably have to
> confess to Father Hough later.  His body ached
> and his shoulder screamed at him with every
> nudge or shift, but it still compared favorably
> to getting thrown through a wall.  Merai
> dropped the energy shield she had re-raised
> around her, her arm nearly finished thawing,
> and Misha levered himself upright, both looking
> about as bruised as Wolfram felt.  "I'm getting
> too old for this," the fox grumbled as he
> pulled Whisper cleanly from the rock.

 Saroth
> landed in a whirl of wings, still carrying
> Charles.  The rat wobbled drunkenly when the
> dragon set him down, but gestured that he would
> be okay.  His mail would need to be replaced,
> as would the padded undershirt, but together
> they had taken the brunt of the claw strike:
> the rat Sondeckis had been too light for the
> wolf's double back-kick.  Only Tychicus
> remained insensate, and even his eyelids were beginning to flutter.
>
>     And in the middle of them all, his
> blood-soaked fur charred and blackened where
> the collar had been, the mighty Beast of
> Revonos lay sprawled in limp-limbed oblivion.

And he made a satisfying whump when he hit the
floor!  Excellent combat sequence and an
excellent and enjoyable next chapter in Drift's tale!