[Mkguild] Patrol VI

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:35:07 UTC 2016

AN: This one is killing me because this is my first section writing Misha.
Oh God...

Patrol VI

Nemo had for the last few days explored the city, looking for potential
sources of income for when he transformed. Today though he had stayed at
our home with a feeling of...something off. Just something off the entire
time.
"Am I changing?" He held up his hands. "I...I think I am but...maybe not. I
won't change right away..." I walked in and found Nemo still examining his
hands.
"Yes they're dirty and need to be washed." I said. "The problem is we can't
get clean here and this city smells like animal shit."
"I can manage to stay clean." Nemo said. "You're dirty because you haven't
changed your dress in a week." I rolled my eyes. "You have a hatchet?"
"I ran into...someone I met before." I said. "She, or is it he, let me
borrow it. She said we could always use a hatchet." I shuddered at the
thought of needing it. "Uh, I gotta return it after we get back..." I
sighed. "Am I betraying Isenport?" Nemo raised an eye-brow.
"Okay of all the things I expected you to ask, that was not on the list. No
I don't think you are."
"Am I becoming a part of Metamor Keep by going on patrol?" I asked. "I
don't want to. I don't want to give in to living here. I really don't want
to accept it." Nemo rolled his eyes.
"James, we're living here now. You don't have to like it, but they've
agreed to shelter us. You can afford to repay them for their kindness.
They're not asking for much James." I sighed.
"Yeah I guess. I don't want to do this though." I retreated into my room
before Nemo could say anything. "I don't want to repay them..." I closed my
eyes and sank to the floor against my door. "I don't want to die here. I
don't want to die."
With my eyes closed I could still see perfectly. Only now I could see my
death in the forest. My burial here, I'd die forgotten in a city of
monsters.
"Maybe if I keep my eyes closed time won't move on." I knew that wasn't
going to happen, but I kept hoping anyway.

I waited with dread for night. That gnawing sensation that makes each
minute turn into a stone in your stomach. When night finally came Nemo had
to drag me from the confinement of my room. He carried his glaive Qual, I
carried Aaryn's hatchet. The sun hung low and the air felt cool.
"You could have left me behind." I grimaced.
"Everyone in Metamor Keep must do some kind of mandatory service. Besides
you've been on that bed for so long you're in danger of merging with it." I
rolled my eyes at this.
When you're in the Long Scouts, you get the Long Hall to stay in. You get a
band of people to support you. You take respect and praise away from the
harder working and deeply under appreciated Watch (at least according to
someone close to me).
When you go on a mandatory patrol, you get a day notice and a location to
meet a group of total strangers you'll be stuck with for the next day. In
my case I was told to meet my party by a gate (damned if I can remember
which one) and to bring food and a weapon.
At least I think that's what I was told. This is not the part of the story
I remember. No what I remember was coming up.
As we arrived at our destination I was greeted by four figures of varying
species standing together. Nemo informed me that six of us would be on this
stupid Patrol, four people who had never been before and two Long Scouts.
This was before I knew who the Long Scout were.
Now of the four people there, one was a meerkat looking completely
uncomfortable holding a bow. One was a brown and black canine...thing,
female and with breasts desperately trying to escape her top. One was an
older human male who didn't talk at all. Then came the fourth one.
This was the one leading our patrol and the only one with any experience.
He was a fox. I've hunted enough of them to recognize one from a mile away.
He wore black; he carried an impractical looking axe. Or was he carrying a
bow? Meh, I'll say both.

Misha always seems like a walking armory to me. I still remember what he
looked like when he saw me. His face was scared and his eyes cold as stone.
They focused on the two of us as we approached.
I should mention before I continue, my friend, that Misha Brightleaf was
well known in the Keep, or at least it seemed that way. He was well
respected. People liked him. To all those people I warn you to stop reading
now.
Oh Misha Brightleaf. Oh how you annoy me.
In Isenport there is a red wax stamp merchants use called the Mister Nasty
stamp. They put it on jars to let illiterate customers know this jar holds
deadly poison that should be stayed away from. Misha if I had my way, you'd
wear one on your forehead.
For now all Misha did was cock his head at my guise. He scratched his
muzzle in confusion.
"Uh you are here for the patrol right?" Why else would we be here twit.
Misha's eyes weren't on Nemo, just on me. You'd think he'd never seen a man
in a dress before.
"We don't have to be." I said. "We could turn around and leave right now."
"Yes we are." Nemo said over my protests. "I am Nemo and this is my charge,
James of Isenport." He said it automatically in his usual professional way.
He'd said those words a thousand times but he left a few words out.
I'm just James of Isenport. My stomach dropped. Not future Lord of
Isenport. Already this and the stupid patrol put me in a bad mood.
"Okay..." Misha said. "I was told to expect two men."
"I am a man!" I snarled at them, "I ain't lost my dick yet!" Nemo actually
facepalmed at this. Misha looked bemused. "What!?"
"Well we're going to be going into the woods north of the Keep and you're
wearing what looks like a big dress. That's going to rip, I'd go put on
pants."
"It's not a damn dress! It's a sarong!" I shouted at him. "I am not
changing a thing!"
"Hey!" Misha snapped back. "Don't you yell at me. You want to wear a dress
in the woods? Fine, you'll pay for it." I rolled my eyes. Misha I noticed
visibly clenched "We're leaving now. I gave you a chance."
I took a chance to examine my two anthro-companions for this forced death
march. The one closest to me was a meerkat. He had tan colored fur badly
tangled with twigs and dirt streaked throughout. His eyes were orange and
playful. His cloak was a tattered forest green, also streaked with dirt. It
only went down to his knees, his legs extended past the hem of his pants by
a few inches.
The meerkat had a crossbow in his hands that he rubbed occasionally.
Peaking out from over his shoulder was a quiver half empty. I hoped I
wouldn't see him have to use the bow tonight. He seemed ready for anything.
His name was Bos.
The female canine only came up to his chest. Her fur was smooth, freshly
combed and a red-honey color. Her eyes were dark blue and her lips held in
a small smile. Her hands were clasped behind her back and her shoulders
were stiff. She wore dark leather armor with a short sword tied to her
waste. Her name was Shema.
Bos and Shema, like Aaryn, would be in my life for years to come. They
would be two of my most stalwart companions. More importantly they would be
two of my best friends. And thus they met me saying the only appropriate
thing at the time.
"Are you a dog or some shit?" I asked the female. She laughed.
"I had to do some research but I am a dhole." She extended a clawed hand.
"My name is Shema." I raised my hand but dropped it before they could see
my new claws. "uh, this is my first patrol. I believe everyone except our
vulpine leader is here for the first time."
"I guess." I said. "I don't want to be here."
"Ah yoo'll geh ussed to eeeh-t!" The meerkat said, slapping me on the back
and almost causing me to fall over. I don't know what surprised me more,
the slap or that accent. I did a double take.
"Excuse me?"
"Ih'll be fun tonight." The meerkat smiled. "Ah'm Bos. Yoo?" What accent is
that? This was a man no matter where he was on Earth, he'd always be
foreign.
"My names is James, future Lord of Isenport." I said. "You may address me
as James or better yet, not at all." Both of my companions frowned. It's
the belief of nobles that people are happy to put up with their crap just
for the chance to bask in their presence. This idea is wrong. "You two are
armed as well, are we going to be in danger?"
"I was attacked the day I got here." Shema said. "I think that's reason
enough to be armed."
"Besise scale-tail" Bos said with a grin, "Ihs fun shoo-in arrows!" He made
a mock archery stance to emphasize the point. The sound of clapping
interrupted us.
"Hey, we're leaving." Misha said.