[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XXIX

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 03:13:44 UTC 2017

Life As We Know It - XXIX

Six Hours Remaining

Janelle
Getting a new set of white pants for my tabard is usually easy.  Sadly,
when you’re on a time crunch, nothing easy.  So I wore the pants with the
big ink stain on them.  My tabard thankfully still looked fine, just thread
bear.
When I leave for work, I let my son sleep.  This morning though I knelt
beside him.  Gently I stroked his fur and nudged him awake.
“Mama?”  He whispered, eyes bleary.  I smiled.
“You can go back to sleep in just a second.  Kaysar, do you know why I
spanked you last night?”  Kaysar sulked and said nothing.  “It’s not
because you spilled the ink.”
“N-not?” Kaysar asked.
“No.  It’s because you didn’t listen.  I couldn’t play last night.  I’m
sorry but I couldn’t.  And you didn’t listen, that was very bad.”  Now
Kaysar was starting to sniff.  I stroked his fur some more
'“Just because I was mad doesn’t mean I don’t love you.” I kissed my son’s
head.  “I love you so much Kaysar and I promise we’ll play tomorrow, okay?”
“Kay ma’ma!”  Now his tiny arms grabbed my scaled body in his tightest
hug.  I need to leave…but that can wait for a few more moments.  There are
few blessings quite as wonderful as holding your child and feeling his love
for you.
“I’m so glad you’re here Kaysar.” I whispered.  “Eli really did bless me
with you.  I wish I could remember that more often.”  I kissed his
forehead.  “Tonight I’ll be back for you.  I promise we’ll have fun.”  I
gave him another kiss and let him fall back asleep.  I had a case to close.

The deadline ran out at noon.  I still had six hours.  It was early enough
in the day that the sun hadn’t risen yet and the air was still damp from
the rain last night.  I’d slept eight hours, but I still felt I had over
slept.
“No.  If I don’t sleep, I don’t work well.  Don’t guilt yourself.” I
whispered, banishing those feelings to the back of my mind.  The Keep was
dark and relatively quiet that morning.  The clouds from yesterday had
cleared and the sky was a pale violet.
On my way back to the Watch House this time I made my way past the
Shoeshine Inn.  The two story building looked dark, except with lights
flickering from a few small windows.  I paused and looked up at Chamomile’s
window.
“You hid something.” I mumbled.  “You hid it really well.  I know you did.
Something is missing from there, I just don’t know what.” I rubbed my eyes.
 “I’ve been looking at this puzzle for too long.  Nothing makes sense
anymore.”
The Watch House in contrast was lit up and familiar.  And as a nice change
of pace, Remmie showed up right as I did.
“Hey Janie.” Remmie smiled at me.  “I figured you’d want me here early.
Plus getting up early meant the sun wouldn’t be out.”  Her green eyes were
rimmed with red and her hands rubbed the side of her spotted head.
“You look horrible.” I said.  Remmie forced a smile.  Her tabard looked
wrinkled, belt hanging loose.
“Well I went out drinking last night with Sebastian—
“You took Sebastian out drinking?” I asked.  “I should have guessed from
your appearance.  Sebastian works for the enemy!”  Remmie gave me a simmer
down gesture.
“Yes well I wanted to get to know him.  And uh, maybe get some info from
him.  Maybe Intelligence knew something about Chamomile?”
“You mean you attempted to get Sebastian drunk, get information out of him
and in turn undermine Andwyn?”  Remmie nodded.  “Warden, I’ve never been so
proud of you.  Did he tell you anything I could use to arrest Andwyn?”
Every fantasy in my head ended with Andwyn arrested by me.  And then the
Duke, or Misha, or a few others rewarding me in bed.
“‘Fraid not.” Remmie said.  “But I did learn Sebastian is still new at
this, that’s why he’s on prisoner retrieval duty.”  I nodded.
“Makes sense, Andwyn won’t waste a valuable spy on something this simple.”
 I glanced back at the Watch House.  “Warden, let’s continue this in our
planning room.”