[Mkguild] Life As We Know IT XXXIII A

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 02:52:16 UTC 2017

AN: Hoped to get more of this edited but my brain is mush.

Life As We Know It XXXIII A

One Hour Remaining
Finding a piece of evidence that clinches your theory is good and all, but
usually when you find it you won’t know right away you have found it.  Such
was the case with this journal.  Remmie and I spent a lot of time just
going over the journal.  From there we went back to the Watch House and
showed it to Triche.
Triche sent us to talk to Isaac and we went over everything again.  No one
ever considers a lot of Watch work is just passing information on, but it
is.  I’d love to see a troubadour sing songs about the chain of information.
“So would Chamomile’s plan have a chance at all to work?” I asked.  Isaac
looked up from her journal.
“Not a chance in hades.” Isaac said.  “Our mages have worked for years on
this problem, they didn’t do it and they had access to…everything honestly.
This plan was doomed to horrible failure from the moment she arrived. It’s
the rambling of a crazy woman. I have no idea how she didn’t see it.”
“Because she is a crazy woman.” Isaac looked at me curiously.  “This plan
was so badly put together, the only reason could be it was deliberate.  I
think she believed her plan could work, but I also think she hoped it would
fail.”
“But if it failed the best thing that could happen happen was she’d be
cursed and stuck here.”
“Or she’d be made as someone who worked with Nasoj and be executed.” I
said.  “Either one would have been a kind of victory.  And I intend to
prove it.”  Isaac sighed.  Triche, who had been sitting in the corner,
chose now to speak up.
“I wish you luck Corporal.  I don’t see Sebastian not taking her away even
if you do.” Triche said.
“Are you sure you don’t want to handle this sir?” I asked.
“No Corporal.  It’s your case, you handled it and you solved it.  You
should get the denouement.”  I nodded.  “Now let’s go see Chamomile.”  The
three of us exited, finding Remmie waiting outside of Triche’s off us.
 “Warden?”
“You think I’m going to miss this?” Remmie said.  “You’re either drunk or
crazy.”  Triche smiled.  The four of us walked down the stairs to the
prison hall.  My stomach churned slowly, then into a frenzy as Tibble
allowed us into the hall.
Sebastian glanced up as I entered from his stool.  His eyes were red rimmed
and glazed.  I stopped to talk to him as the other three walked down to
Chamomile’s cell.  “You found something didn’t you?”
“Not exactly.” I said.  “And I’m not going to stop you from taking
Chamomile.  Once I have finished you may take her.” That raised Sebastian’s
brow.  “I must also worry you though, you might not want to take her.”
“I’ll see about that.” Sebastian said, standing up.  I left him and
rejoined my group.  The seat in front of Chamomile’s cell was empty.
Triche gestured.
“It’s your show Corporal.” Triche said.  I smiled.  It is my show. Show
everyone Janelle.  I sat down.  Chamomile glanced up from her bed.
“I see I got the whole party here.” She yawned and stood up, rubbing her
eyes.  “Is it time for me to get taken away for my crimes?  Are you going
to threaten me with execution?  Torture?  Bringing out—
“Stop it Chamomile,” I interrupted.  “Enough is enough.  I know you’re
lying to me.”  Chamomile gave me an incredulous look.
“You know, I’m surprised.” Chamomile said.  “You’d assume someone who is an
enemy of Metamor Keep finally telling the truth would make you happy.  I
guess nothing makes you happy does it?”
“You’re not an enemy of the Keep.” I said.  “I don’t know if you ever were.
I know that now you’re a broken woman. You’re someone who thinks she can
fix herself if she finds redemption.”  Chamomile tried to laugh it off but
I kept talking.  “You’ve not found it either, so I know what you want now.”
“And what is it I want?” Chamomile pulled her stool over, sitting across
from me.  Our eyes locked. “You think you know what I want?”
“Yes.” I said.  “You want to die.”  Chamomile went silent.  “I’m not wrong
am I?”  She didn’t respond but averted her gaze.  “I’ll continue then.”