[Mkguild] Life As We Know It XII

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 03:54:24 UTC 2017

Metamor Keep

March 31st 707

Janelle
Lt. Triche I would later find out had been working on a letter requesting
more funding, more men and more supplies for our badly depleted Watch
House.  My Lieutenant was a good man doing very important work.  That’s why
I feel so bad at slamming the door open and rushing in before Sebastian got
there.
Triche’s head jerked up as the two of us blew into the room.  “Corporal
what the hell is going on here?”
“I’m sorry sir but I need to speak to you right away,” I said as quickly as
possible, “We arrested a prisoner today who has been accused of working
with Nasoj—“
“And who I will be taking immediately,” Sebastian interrupted, “Because if
said prisoner is she represents a security risk—“
“Security we in the Watch provide for the Keep!!” I snapped, “I arrested
her and I will have the time to question her—
“You can question her if we let you but we will have her first!”
“I will not allow you to compromise my investigation!”
“And I will not allow you to put your investigation over the safety of
Metamor—

“ENOUGH!” Triche yelled, slamming his fist against the desk.  This finally
got our attention.  “I was very hard at work when you two came in here
squabbling like children.  Corporal, I do not appreciate my people fighting
with strangers in my office.”  Triche sat back in his chair and took a long
breath.  Now he turned to the Linsang.  “You, I don’t even know who you
are.”
“My name is Sebastian.” The Linsang said.  “I work for Andwyn and was
recently informed that you happened to arrest a prisoner involved with
Nasoj during the Yule assault.”
“How?  How did you find that out?” I asked.  “I hadn’t had time to tell my
Lieutenant yet and you people found out first?”
“Information is our business.” Sebastian said, “And we happen to be very
good at it.”
“And yet you failed to realize we’re not letting you take that prisoner.” I
said.  Again Triche banged his fist against the desk.
“Enough, enough arguing.  Janelle tell me everything.”  Sebastian glared at
me as I began to deliver my story.  I explained everything, the woman and
the mob, the witness and the claim that Chamomile worked for Nasoj.
“Which is why Andwyn sent this specimen here to extract her.” I said.
 “They think that she works for Nasoj.  Or is a spy or something!”
“We don’t assume anything. We gather intellignce.” Sebastian said.  “Anyone
though who is claiming what she has is either dangerous or insane. We
determine which. As such we have priority here and I will be taking the
prisoner immediately.  Lieutenant please prepare for her release.”
“I will do no such thing.” Triche said, staring at Sebastian like he
couldn’t comprehend what the Linsang was saying. “I will investigate this
matter myself.  If I find it credible, then I will release this…what’s her
name?”
“Chamomile sir.”
“This Chamomile to you Mr. Sebastian.  And not a minute sooner.”  I could
see the fur on the back of the Linsang’s neck bristle.  “How did you find
out about her before I did?”
“I’ll be waiting.” Sebastian said, before spinning and exiting the room.
Triche mumbled several profanities under his breath before sitting down
again.
“I don’t think Keep intelligence takes us seriously.” Triche said.  “Then
again, why should they?  Duke Hassan doesn’t take us seriously, the knights
don’t take us seriously, the Longscouts don’t take us seriously and the
civilians don’t take us seriously.  Let’s add Intelligence to the list.”
 He looked me in the eye.  “Janelle, you know I value your opinion.”
“Yes I do.  Thank you sir.”  I could feel myself standing stiffer.
“Then before I go down, do you think this woman is a spy or saboteur?  Do
you think she is of any threat to the Keep?”  I looked away.  “Corporal!”
“Do I think she worked with Nasoj?  Possibly, I don’t know.” I said.  “Do I
think she is of any danger?  Only to her self.”  That raised Triche’s
eyebrows.
“Really?  Now that’s interesting.  Take me to meet this Chamomile.”