[Mkguild] Life As We Know It IX

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 03:51:29 UTC 2017

Life As We Know It - IX

Remmie while all this was going on was finishing up her errand.  Srgt.
Tibble had had her deliver a package to another Watch House, some leger of
criminal crap.  Didn’t matter, not to Remmie or the guy she handed it off
too.  What mattered was doing what Janelle asked her to do.
Because she was still the greenest on the Watch and got the crap work.  So
getting to do anything else to break up the tedium?  Fucking awesome.
Now though that errand was done and Remmie was taking the long way back to
the Watch House.  The long was meant stopping by every building she could
think of currently under construction.  Right now it was the Jolly Collie
Ru-inn (she laughed at her pun).
“Alright Remmie, you’re the soon to be brilliant detective you know you
are.” She grinned.  “Intelligent, courageous, very humble and able to pull
off the sexy scale look like no other reptile.”
The Jolly Collie had been reduced to rubble in the Yule assault.  Now it
was being rebuilt, though very slowly.  When your owner also leads the most
prestigious secret military unit in Metamor, they tend not to have time for
things like reconstructing an inn.
“Wish Janie was here with me.” Remmie mumbled.  “She’s got a thing for
Misha Brightleaf.”  She pretended she didn’t but Remmie had seen her
checking him out.
The Jolly Collie currently was a hive of tents, torches, pulleys, ropes and
people.  Lots and lots of people hard at work rebuilding the Inn.  They
milled about without staring at her.  Remmie had to jump out of the way to
avoid a very muscular goat-man-thing carrying a bundle of wood.
'Alright where do I start?' Looking around, almost all of the workers were
muscular humans and animals.  All but one, a young boy who was talking to a
pair of dogs with saws.  When they left, the boy began directing other
workers. 'I’m going to say you’re the foreman aren’t ya?'
“Excuse me?” The young boy looked up.  “Hey, my name is Remmie LeBeau.  I’m
a Warden, see?” She held up the lantern on her tabard.  The foreman turned
away.  Remmie splat her hand on top of his head and spun him back around.
“Do ya mind?  I got construction that needs to be done!” The boy said.
“Oh hush fuzzbutt.  I’m looking for the contractor in charge of rebuilding
the Jolly Collie?”  The boy scoffed.
“Well keep looking.  We’re just the ones handling the frame work.  There
are lots uh people working.  They want the Keep rebuilt and they want fast,
so we all got work to do.  Look, talked to ya, now leave.”  Remmie ignored
him and kept talking.
“Few days ago my boss saw a bull-guy carrying some wood in a not broken
part of the Keep.  She needs to find him, so I’m doing her a favor.  I
need—“ The boy held up a hand.
“Lady, there are like six contractors in three blocks.  We’ve got people
constantly coming in and out.  Some of the people here today I just hired!
I can’t remember everyone who walks by.”  Remmie sighed.
“Yeah, same answer I keep getting.”  She smiled though.  “Thanks anyway,
you guys do good work.  The Keep is going to look great again I bet.”  Now
the boy looked sad.  As Remmie started to leave, he spoke up.
“Tell me about the guy you is looking for.” He said.  “I dunno if I can
help…”  She grinned.
“Thank you so much!” Remmie chirped.  “Well, we don’t know his name.”  The
boy gave her a withering look.  She bit her bottom lip.  “Yeah not the best
situation.  But we know it’s a male we’re looking for.  And a bull, a black
bull who was carrying wood.”
“Gods lady do you-“ The foreman froze in mid sentence.  He scratched the
side of his head.  “Did you say a black bull?”