[Mkguild] Life II: Dreams and Desires - B

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 01:21:30 UTC 2017

Life II: Dreams and Desires - B
Mrs. Aubrah entered right as I sat down at the table. Within seconds I had
a small breakfast placed before me.
“I never asked for you to fix meals for me and my son you know.” I said.
“I know dear, but you were exhausted yesterday. You need food.” Mrs. Aubrah
smiled, “Besides, it makes me feel useful.” I nodded.
“Speaking of useful,” I untied my coin purse, “I have at last been paid.” I
handed her the late payment, plus what little extra I could afford. The
money vanished into one of the pockets of her massive housecoat.
“I wasn’t going to press ya, especially since you’re short on money.” Mrs.
Aubrah said, “But thanks anyway Jane.” I smiled. “So, what’s on your mind?”
I hadn’t said a word and she knew. How on Earth did she know? My tail
thumped against the ground.
“You mentioned if I needed a night off you would watch Kaysar?” She nodded.
“I need that night off. Tonight, after work I have to have the night off.”
The desperation in my voice surprised even me. Mrs. Aubrah’s eyes widened.
“Is something wrong? Has someone died?” I shook my head. “Is it about your
promotion?” Excitement creeped into her voice. “You about to be Sergeant
Janelle?” I wish it was that simple.
“I can’t say.” I replied. “My errand I need to take care of is one of a
personal nature. But it has to be done tonight. I have information I must
act upon. And I am so sorry for springing this on you at such a late date
but-” She raised a paw.
“Save it, save it. Janie, in the time I’ve known you the only things you
ever talk about are work and your son. If anyone needs a vacation day, it’s
you.” I frowned.
“I have more in my life than work and my son.” I said. The binturong gave a
laugh.
“Janelle, your entire life is about Kaysar and the Watch.” And my powers,
but she didn’t need to know that. “You need some fun in your life before
you go crazy.” I rubbed my aching forehead.
“I have lots of pleasure in my life.” I said. Remmie said the same thing, I
have no friends outside of work. I began to dig my finger into my tabard. I
don’t need to worry about this, I need to focus on my job and my son.
“Maybe you do.” She said to me. “But you’re only...I wanna say human but
the tail ain’t helping.” I rolled my eyes. “You got to have some fun Jane
before you go crazy. So go out, have a blast. Kaysar will be waiting when
you get back.”
“Thank you.” I said. “This is not strictly for fun though. I have to find
someone today and will need tonight to speak to them. And it’s rather
important I have this meeting.”
“I say hit the Tent Mule.” Mrs. Aubrah said. “It ain’t rebuilt yet, but
it’s nice and you can sit down and talk to someone.” I nodded.
“I admit I haven’t been to the Mule in a while…” 'And a casual setting
might make him less nervous.' “I will take that under consideration, thank
you Mrs. Aubrah.” She raised a finger. “Something else?”
“You are going to come back after work and change right?” I raised an eye.
“Jane, you don’t meet someone in a uniform, and you’ve got a black crotch.”
Well new pants cost money which was in high demand and low supply.
“I suppose I can change.” I said. I owned two other outfits, one of which I
wore to Mass. Still, she had a good point about my pants. 'Not being
dressed as the Watch can’t hurt. I’m not his captor, I’m his friend. “I
only own two outfits.”
“You should buy some more.” She said, “You need something besides that old
uniform.” I smilled.
“No I understand, but I can afford clothing for me or my son. And Kaysar is
growing, so I help him.” That silenced her.
“...That’s good for you. I’m sorry for overstepping, I just want to help.”
Mrs. Aubrah said. “If there's anything else I can do, tell me.”
“You’re a good friend.” I said. “Sadly I have to get going. Kaysar is
asleep, we were up past his bedtime so he should be asleep for a while.” I
tied my coin purse back and gave my son’s former wet nurse a wave.
I had a long day ahead of me.