[Mkguild] Life II: Dreams and Desire - E

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 23:49:44 UTC 2017

AN: Long day today, money is a vile curse. Finally ending this chapter
though.

Life II: Dreams and Desire - E

Yes, the first time the Duke became aware of my existence was from a
screaming pika who broke into his toilet. This is my life.
“Of course that’s how he’d find out about me.” I mumbled, “Why wouldn’t he?
Was his reaction…”
“The Duke was furious I was told.” Moss said. “Assume your morning routine
was interrupted by three people who somehow broke into your toilet. How
would you feel?” Goddamn it Tamir. “Anyway this criminal requested to speak
to you. I happened to know your Lieutenant, or at least I met him once, so
I escorted them here.”
“Thank you Sir Moss.” I said. “I hope they weren’t too much trouble.”
“Just loud.” He said. “Though I wish they had been imprisoned. Then this
wouldn’t have happened.”

“Yeah but all of their crimes fall under the perview of Mean Justice.” I
said. “Not much I can do there. Though this time they broke into Duke
Thomas’ bathroom, that’ll probably be worse for them.” Is it even worth
mentioning the Duke brought this incident up the first time I met him in
person?
“I was not there when they were discovered” Moss said, “But I’ve been told
the Duke couldn't believe this happened."

“If he was me, I’d sadly not be very surprised.” I said. “This is what life
in the Watch is like I’m afraid.” I returned my attention to the guild.
“You three could have been killed. Never mind what you idiots were
thinking, I can guess that. You were breaking into a castle filled with
guards eager to use their swords.”
“But we had to!” Kuno said. His eyes were pleading and his ears folded
back. “The Duke’s been silent lately, we got attacked four months ago,
things are fucked up in MK!” I glanced over to the knight.
“What our leader is doing is irrelevant to you.” Sir Moss said. “And if you
ever attempt something like this again, you won’t walk out. What is to be
done with these three right now?”
“I don’t know.” I said. “Our Duke makes justice complicated. For now I was
planning to just hold them in a cell, at least until a punishment can be
decided. Is that ok with you?” Sir Moss frowned.

“It’s not what I had in mind, but it’s acceptable for now.” Tamir started
screaming but the knight and I had stopped listening. Srgt. Tibble locked
the door behind us, keeping the contagious stupidity locked away.
“You know, the people here aren’t blind.” I said. “I heard from a few
sources our leader is acting bizzare, dancing with a transgender knight at
the Equinox.”
“That was at a ball for knights, how did you hear about it?” Moss asked.
“You’re not a knight.”
“I’m also not a Long Scout and I know who they are.” I said. “One thing you
learn as a member of the Watch, the people of Metamor are observant, and
fantastic at gathering information. If something is being kept from them,
it will get out. They might not know the whole story, but they will know
something is happening.” Sir Moss didn’t respond.

As I lead him to the exit, I wondered about this knight. Every little scar,
every knick in his ears was something. When he walked he kept his hands
clasped behind his back, but when he was started his hand was on his weapon.

I Tapped his mind of course, and found nothing. No thoughts, no
observations, not even annoyance at being dragged down here to deal with
the morons. All I felt was instinct, inlaid knowledge from years of
experience.

'No wonder he’s a knight.' I Tapped a little harder, pushing a little
deeper. Moss hesitated and then shook his head.

“I apologise, I suddenly have a headache.” I pulled myself free of his
mind. Just because you’re in there thoughts doesn't mean you won't have a
physical effect. “Something about the air in this place perhaps. It’s
rather dusty.”

“Yeah, the cleaning crew had to take the week off in 702 and they never
came back.” I said.

“Still no excuse for dirt and grime.” Sir Moss said. 'Smartass.' “Warden
Janelle-”
“Corporal.” I corrected.

“Sorry, Corporal Janelle. Why did you join the Watch?” We stopped at the
door. Sir Moss turned to face me. “You’re observant and have a remarkable
memory. Surely their are other more fulfilling rolls you could find in
Metamor. Ones that aren’t dead ends.”
“Because I wanted too.” I said. “Besides, their are plenty of opportunities
for advancement in the Watch. And here I can do some good.” Moss scoffed at
that. “Did I say something funny?”
“The Knights do important work. The Watch is a redundancy.” Moss said. “One
who’s purpose becomes increasingly difficult to pinpoint. You claim you
provide a valuable service, but what is it exactly you do?” I grit my teeth.
“We keep order in the Keep.”
“The Knights do that.” Moss interrupted. “And they can actually dispense
High justice. You can not. And they command respect.”
“Which the Watch does not?” I growled.
“Be sarcastic if you like.” Moss said. “But ask yourself this question, why
is the Watch always underfunded? Why does no one respect them? And why
isn't anyone suggesting a change?” Now I was pissed.
“Listen you obnoxious…” I stopped myself from yelling. I took a deep
breath. Then I Tapped his mind again, this time with enough force to burrow
deep inside.
I just told you about what a bad idea that was. And trust me, it is an
incredibly bad idea to do what I did. There is no excuse for it, I’m not
making one. I just want you to know in that instant I snapped.
Three things matter to me, my abilities, my Watch and my son. Insulting any
of the three is an exceptionally bad idea. When a member of the Fellowship
of the Egg called my son a milksucker I had to be pulled off of him. I only
take the belittling of my Watch a little better.
Sir Moss winced in pain as a severe headache overtook him. No doubt he was
confused as to what was going on, but I didn’t care. 'What are you hiding
you fur-covered ass. Images assaulted me, all the things he was trying to
suppress in his mind. Ah there we-'
I stumbled against the wall. The link between our minds shattered. Sir Moss
opened his eyes, panting heavily.
“What on Earth was-was that?” He held up a shaking finger, “Was that you?
What did you just do?” I couldn’t respond to him. I stumbled away back down
the hall as he called for me. “Corporal Janelle! Corporal! What did you do
to me?”
My mind was blank. I couldn’t feel anything, couldn’t even think. I flew
through the halls, avoiding the few Wardens in them. Past Tibble, who
called out to me, and up the stairs.
'No no it can’t, that had to be wrong…' There was a light under Triche’s
door. I haulted at the threshold, unable to burst in on my commander. It
can’t, can’t I have to be wrong. I mean, it can’t be what I think it is
right?
I opened the door. Triche sat at his desk, face down staring at a ledger.
His ears perked to life as I entered. He glanced up as I took my seat
across from him.
“Corproal Janelle?” Triche asked. “Tibble has your assignment for the day.
Is there something else you needed?” I blinked. “If there isn’t I must tell
you I’m rather busy.” I nodded.
“Don’t worry, it won’t take long.” I said. “I just have one question.”
Triche leaned back in his chair. He shrugged.
“Ask away.”
“Thank you sir.” I said. “When were you going to tell us that our charter
was being revoked?”
This was going to be a very long day.