[Mkguild] Life III: Entrance of the Parasite - A

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 01:15:53 UTC 2017

AN: Next chapter ready to go, trying to set up something bigger.

Life III: Entrance of the Parasite - A

At the same time two reptiles were beginning their day, two figures in a
horse pulled wagon were moving through the valley.  They huddled beside
each other on a cart with a wheel about to break, both buried under a
threadbare blanket.  Their horses were mixed breed stallions, both on their
last legs.

The two smelled heavily of soot.  In their wagon strapped down was their
furniture, pots, bedding and anything they could save from the fire.  It
wasn’t much but it was something they could hold onto.  The two figures
were themselves like their possessions, coated black and barely holding
together.

The husband sat on the right, a bush monkey shorter than his wife.  Born in
Metamor, earlier in life he had left to make his fortune.  He returned to
Metamor with experience as a mercenary, a new wife and one fewer arm.

The wife on the left towered over her husband, despite her species being
small as well.  A screaming hairy armadillo, her body jumped with every
bump.  She was a housewife, many times cook and mage of very limited
abilities.  She had come to Metamor with her husband, finding the valley to
be uninteresting.  Then fourteen years later the place became cursed.

Metamor became a lot more exciting after that.

The two traveled to Keeptown, where their daughter (Former son) currently
lived.  They both shivered in the cold mist of the morning.  Both were
tropical mammals and both hated winters in the valley.  But leaving was
impossible as an anthro furry creature, so they learned to live with it.

“It’s too quiet out here.” The wife said.  Her name was Endelyn.  Her
plated black was coated in long hair that stood up when she was
frightened.  Her black eyes scanned the tree line.  She could hear movement
in the branches, squirrels and other feral animals.  But not an movement,
her eyesight was rather dreadful.

“It only seems that way.” The husband said.  His short pink nose trembled
with every breath.  “We’ve never gone through the valley before people were
out before.”  His name was Lewes.  His vision was much better and unlike
his wife he wasn’t scared.  Just kind of bored.

Endelyn didn’t respond.  She scanned the shadows that criss crossed the
path.  The area they rode was worn bare by hundreds, if not thousands of
feet, paws, hooves and whatever other kind of limb their was crossing it.

“I just feel really nervous.” Endelyn said.  “We’re all by our selves out
here, no one knows where we are.”  His wife’s tail reached for his.  He
brushed her away.

“They know we’re on our way to Keeptown.” Lew said.  “That’s all that
matters.  Don’t worry.”  The reins of their cart he held in his right arm.
Lew unlike his wife hadn’t been sad to be cursed, hoping his left arm would
regrow.

Sadly bush monkeys are not reptiles.  The arm was still a stump.

Endelyn’s ears twitched as they passed through a thicket.  Above them tree
branches formed a canopy, blocking out the early golden daylight.  She
could hear everything happening around her.  She drew in closer to her
husband, who pushed her away again.

The valley in the early morning is both beautiful and eerie.  In the
distance you see smoke from homes and buildings come to life.  Around you
are trees and dense undergrowth.  In places you see stone remains from
things that once were, now being reclaimed by the Earth itself.

“What do you suppose that is?” Endelyn asked, pointing to a structure in
the woods.  “Or what was it?”  Lew turned where she was pointing.

Between two trees was some kind of stone remnant.  Possibly a pillar beside
a stone wall?  Something, they couldn’t tell what.  Dirt coated it and
vines encircled it.  The structure was held in place by the overgrowth on
it.

“Maybe a building.” Lew said.  “Probably a really old building.”

“Who built it?” Endelyn asked.

“No idea.  I don’t know much about what was in this valley before Metamor.”
He said.  “It’s old I bet.  Probably really old.”

“Looks like our house.” Endelyn said.  “I wonder if it burned down too.”
 Lew didn’t say a thing.  “It could be our house.  I hope everyone got out
alright.”

“Whoever was here is long dead.” Lew said.  “Can’t think about it, let’s go
on.”  As the cart continued on its way Endelyn could see two sparrows land
on the ruin.  She thought it was like Metamor, old, damaged, non-falling
and full of animals.

“I’m nervous about going to Keeptown.” Endelyn said.

“Why?” Lew asked.

“I don’t like cities.” She said.  “You know that.  I liked our house, it
was quiet.  And we were all alone.”  Lew leaned into her now, rubbing his
head against her shoulder.  “Seeing Ally more will be great.”

“We won’t impose on her for too long.” Lew said.  “As soon as we find a
place to live near her, we’ll move out.”  Endelyn smilled.

“I hear in the Keep, new homes grow out of the wall.” Lew snorted. “I know,
sounds crazy don’t it?”

“I can believe it.” Lew said. “Who knows, we’ll see it all first hand.”
Endylen smiled.  Then her eyes narrowed.

“Lew, who’s that over there?”  Her husband turned to where she pointed, to
a gap between two trees.  And from between the two trees emerged a man,
dressed all in blank.  Lew’s one hand clenched the reins harder.

The man was tall.  Both Lew and Endylen were bellow average height, so
people in general looked tall to them.  But he was bizarre in other ways.
His face was a pale, pasty white.  His eyes were sunken in and his skin was
sallow.  The face was the only part of him they could see.

The man was dressed in billowing black clothing, covering him from head to
toe.  His head was wrapped in a black shawl, with a leather headband
holding it in place over his head.  His hands were hidden by black gloves,
but they could see long and narrow fingers outlined within.  The thought of
those fingers talking her made Endylen shiver.