[Mkguild] Life III: Entrance of the Parasite - B

Jack Moore jackthefrilledlizard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 00:53:10 UTC 2017

Life III: Entrance of the Parasite - B

The man was tall.  Both Lew and Endylen were bellow average height, so
people in general looked tall to them.  But he was bizarre in other ways.
His face was a pale, pasty white.  His eyes were sunken in and his skin was
sallow.  The face was the only part of him they could see.

The man was dressed in billowing black clothing, covering him from head to
toe.  His head was wrapped in a black shawl, with a leather headband
holding it in place over his head.  His hands were hidden by black gloves,
but they could see long and narrow fingers outlined within.  The thought of
those fingers talking her made Endylen shiver.

“We need to get away from him.” Endylen said.  “We need to get out of here
now.”  The man’s eyes were hungry.  He looked at them not as people, but as
cattle to be slaughtered.  Lew though felt his muscles seize up staring at
this man.

“We need…” Lew’s mouth dried.  He had been born in Metamor and then left,
living for years as a mercinary.  He had fought in battles in armies he
didn’t know, for causes he didn’t care about.  And in those earlier years
he had been so afraid.

Fear in battle is not fear like other situations.  It’s that moment where
time slows and you know death is immediate.  Your mind flashes through
hundreds of possibilities until you latch onto one that might bring you out
of this.  Then the adrenaline takes over.

Sitting here Lew was back to the way he had been on the battlefield.
Except the adrenelne didn’t come.  The man in black walked up to Lew, a
smile on his face.

“Good morning good sir.  Perchance your destination be Metamor Keep?”

“Lew, let’s get out of here.” Endylen said.

“Right.”  He snapped the reins and the horses...stayed put.  The man in
black had his hand on the neck of the left stallion.  The horse whinnied
but the man shook his head.

“Let’s see, wagon full of stuff, smell of smoke and driving through the
woods early in the morning.”  The man smiled, “You’ve survived a fire I
take it?”  Endylen scooted closer to her husband.  “Don’t own much I
notice.”

“Yeah we survived a fire.” Lew said.  “We’re heading to the Keep.”  The
man’s face lit up.

“What a coincidence!  Me too!  You’re going to give me a ride!” His eyes
narrowed.  “In fact, I like this wagon.  Give it to me.”

“Excuse me?” Lew glared down at him.  “This is my wagon.  Get away from my
horses, or you will regret it.”  Behind him, in the back of his cart, was
Lew’s sword.  A sword he hadn’t used in quite a long time, though he could
still kill this man if he needed.  The man in black grinned again.

“Your sword is rusted and your arm is out of practice.” He said.  “When you
lost that arm in the Midlands I know how relieved you were to not have to

The reins slipped from his hands.  Lew couldn’t say a word, just stare at
this man with confusion and fear.  Unbeknownst to him Endylen had the same
expression.  The man smiled.  “My name is Peccavi.  And yes I know your
name.”

“H-How?” Lew stammered.  “I’ve never seen you before.”

“Because I know everything about you!” Peccavi cackled.  “Before you were
born, I knew how you’d die.  I know about the fire that took your home, I
know how isolated you two are from your only child, I know the battle that
took your arm away Lew.”  He grinned at them.  “And now the two of you get
to escort me to Metamor Keep.  It’s a great privilege to escort someone of
my value.”

“We’re not escorting you anywhere.” Endylen said.  Now Peccavi frowned.

“You will escort me to Metamor.”  Both Lew and Endylen felt his sugar
coated words slide into their minds.  And both (with effort) pushed them
out.  “Let me into your cart now.”

“Get away from us.”  Lew said.  His arm began to drift towards the back of
the cart, towards the sword.

“I was told you Keepers were strong willed.” Peccavi said.  “Strong enough
to resist me, of course not I thought.  And yet, here you are doing it.”
 He paused.  And then began to smile. “I’m actually excited for the first
time in quite a long time! Good job!”

Before Lew could grab the sword, his wife leapt forward.  Sparks crackled
off the edges of her fingers and she slapped the hindquarters of their
stallions.  The horses reared and...then silenced.

“If I can override human will, animal is nothing.” Peccavi said.  “Though
thank you for demonstrating just how weak your magic is.  I was
underestimating just how pathetic you are.”  Endylen slowly slid back,
trying to comprehend what happened.  She stared at her fingers, as if this
would strengthen her magic.

“Anyway, bored now.”  Peccavi grabbed Lew’s shirt as he grabbed for the
sword.  Endylen watched her husband lifted over the pale man’s head.  She
didn’t scream though.  Fear raced through her but Endylen concentrated it
into one shot.  One thing that might-

“Don’t move.” Peccavi said.  “Hands at your side.”  Her arms pinned
themselves to her body.  Fear had focused Endylen’s mind, but it had also
weakened her will.  Now all she could do was watch her struggling husband.