[Mkguild] Life III: Entrance of the Parasite - A My comments

cokane8116 at aol.com cokane8116 at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 02:32:14 UTC 2017

Hello,

   As usual the list engine doesn't seem to like me. Here are my thoughts on Jacks cool story - at least this part.

   Chris
   The Lurking Fox

******************

AN:Next chapter ready to go, trying to set up something bigger.

LifeIII: Entrance of the Parasite - A

Atthe same time two reptiles were beginning their day, two figures in a
horsepulled wagon were moving through the valley. They huddled beside
eachother on a cart with a wheel about to break, both buried under a
threadbareblanket.  Their horses were mixed breedstallions, both on their
lastlegs.

Thetwo smelled heavily of soot.  In theirwagon strapped down was their
furniture,pots, bedding and anything they could save from the fire.  It
wasn’tmuch but it was something they could hold onto. The two figures
werethemselves like their possessions, coated black and barely holding
together.

Thehusband sat on the right, a bush monkey shorter than his wife.  Born in
Metamor,earlier in life he had left to make his fortune.  He returned to
Metamorwith experience as a mercenary, a new wife and one fewer arm.

Thewife on the left towered over her husband, despite her species being
smallas well.  A screaming hairy armadillo,her body jumped with every
bump.  She was a housewife, many times cook and mageof very limited
abilities.  She had come to Metamor with her husband,finding the valley to
beuninteresting.  Then fourteen years laterthe place became cursed.

Metamorbecame a lot more exciting after that.

Thetwo traveled to Keeptown, where their daughter (Former son) currently
lived.  They both shivered in the cold mist of themorning.  Both were
tropicalmammals and both hated winters in the valley. But leaving was
impossibleas an anthro furry creature, so they learned to live with it.

“It’stoo quiet out here.” The wife said.  Hername was Endelyn.  Her
platedblack was coated in long hair that stood up when she was
frightened.  Her black eyes scanned the tree line.  She could hear movement
inthe branches, squirrels and other feral animals.  But not an movement,
hereyesight was rather dreadful.

“Itonly seems that way.” The husband said. His short pink nose trembled
withevery breath.  “We’ve never gone throughthe valley before people were
outbefore.”  His name was Lewes.  His vision was much better and unlike
hiswife he wasn’t scared.  Just kind ofbored.

Endelyndidn’t respond.  She scanned the shadowsthat criss crossed the
path.  The area they rode was worn bare by hundreds,if not thousands of
feet,paws, hooves and whatever other kind of limb their was crossing it.

“Ijust feel really nervous.” Endelyn said. “We’re all by our selves out
here,no one knows where we are.”  His wife’stail reached for his.  He
brushedher away.

“Theyknow we’re on our way to Keeptown.” Lew said. “That’s all that
matters.  Don’t worry.” The reins of their cart he held in his right arm.
Lewunlike his wife hadn’t been sad to be cursed, hoping his left arm would
regrow.

Sadlybush monkeys are not reptiles.  The armwas still a stump.

Endelyn’sears twitched as they passed through a thicket. Above them tree
branchesformed a canopy, blocking out the early golden daylight.  She
couldhear everything happening around her. She drew in closer to her
husband,who pushed her away again.

Thevalley in the early morning is both beautiful and eerie.  In the
distanceyou see smoke from homes and buildings come to life.  Around you
aretrees and dense undergrowth.  In placesyou see stone remains from
thingsthat once were, now being reclaimed by the Earth itself.

“Whatdo you suppose that is?” Endelyn asked, pointing to a structure in
thewoods.  “Or what was it?”  Lew turned where she was pointing.

Betweentwo trees was some kind of stone remnant. Possibly a pillar beside
astone wall?  Something, they couldn’ttell what.  Dirt coated it and
vinesencircled it.  The structure was held inplace by the overgrowth on
it.

“Maybea building.” Lew said.  “Probably areally old building.”

“Whobuilt it?” Endelyn asked.

“Noidea.  I don’t know much about what wasin this valley before Metamor.”
Hesaid.  “It’s old I bet.  Probably really old.”

“Lookslike our house.” Endelyn said.  “I wonderif it burned down too.”
 Lew didn’t say a thing.  “It could be our house.  I hope everyone got out
alright.”

“Whoeverwas here is long dead.” Lew said.  “Can’tthink about it, let’s go
on.”  As the cart continued on its way Endelyncould see two sparrows land
onthe ruin.  She thought it was like Metamor,old, damaged, non-falling
andfull of animals.

“I’mnervous about going to Keeptown.” Endelyn said.

“Why?”Lew asked.

“Idon’t like cities.” She said.  “You knowthat.  I liked our house, it
wasquiet.  And we were all alone.”  Lew leaned into her now, rubbing his
headagainst her shoulder.  “Seeing Ally morewill be great.”

“Wewon’t impose on her for too long.” Lew said. “As soon as we find a
placeto live near her, we’ll move out.” Endelyn smilled.

“Ihear in the Keep, new homes grow out of the wall.” Lew snorted. “I know,
soundscrazy don’t it?”

“Ican believe it.” Lew said. “Who knows, we’ll see it all first hand.”
Endylensmiled.  Then her eyes narrowed.

“Lew,who’s that over there?”  Her husbandturned to where she pointed, to
agap between two trees.  And from betweenthe two trees emerged a man,
dressedall in blank.  Lew’s one hand clenchedthe reins harder.

Theman was tall.  Both Lew and Endylen werebellow average height, so
peoplein general looked tall to them.  But he wasbizarre in other ways.
Hisface was a pale, pasty white.  His eyeswere sunken in and his skin was
sallow.  The face was the only part of him they couldsee.

Theman was dressed in billowing black clothing, covering him from head to
toe.  His head was wrapped in a black shawl, with aleather headband
holdingit in place over his head.  His handswere hidden by black gloves,
butthey could see long and narrow fingers outlined within.  The thought of
thosefingers talking her made Endylen shiver.

   Chris
   The Lurking Fox