[Mkguild] MK Story Journey's part 7

Christian Okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Mon Mar 27 02:16:05 UTC 2017

   The group had pulled off the road and were deployed in an empty meadow.
The wagons were tucked under a pair of trees that occupied one corner. The
infantry arrayed around them in a tight circle of protection.

   Next to one of those wagons was Stealth, Edmund and Terry standing around
the captured scout whose hands and feet were bound.

   "What do we do with him?" Stealth asked.

   Terrant and Edmund looked at him for a moment.

   "An excellent question," Terrant commented. "We could send him back to
Metamor under guard."

   Edmund shook his head. "Too long a distance. We could release him and
send him back to Midtown?"

   "Release him?" Stealth asked. Surprised. "He tried to kill me!"

   "Good point," Terrant responded. "And he undoubtedly has a lot of
information about us."

   "But killing him is not an option," The paladin ordered.

   "Agreed," Terrant added.

   "He'll make a good bargaining chip," Stealth commented. "We can trade him
for something or someone."

   Terrant smiled at the prisoner revealing a surprisingly warm and
beautiful face. "Dear. It seems you are going to be a guest of the
Protectors."

   "Once we get there his usefulness will be over," Edmund responded.

******************

   The bishop's office was well appointed but not overly so. The furniture
was not new but it wasn't overly old. It was just old enough to have a
feeling of weathered dignity and grace. Pictures graced the walls. Mostly
portraits of various clerics and priests. Kenward noted one empty spot over
the fireplace which held a cheery fire that took the chill off the room. The
wall in that spot was slightly discolored in the shape of a rectangle. The
ghostly memory of a painting that had hung there until recently.

   At first glance the most noticeable feature of Bishop Tyrion Verdane was
his red hair. Cut short as dictated by the rules of his order. It topped a
body that was slight and thin almost to the point of being frail. He was
sharp contrast to well muscled form of the Knightmaster and Senior Knight
commander. But Kenward noticed that although the body was frail the bishop's
face had the look of a hardened soldier. His eyes looked that over with a
strong gaze.

   "Your Grace," Father Goward said and pointed to the Knightmaster. "This
is Sir Godric Neville Kenward, Knightmaster of the Order of Protectors."

   "Your Grace," The Knightmaster said and bowed to the bishop. "It's a
pleasure to meet you."

   The Father pointed to Harrick. "This is Lord Jacob Harrick. Senior Knight
commander of the Order of Protectors."

   Jacob Harrick bowed to the bishop. "Your Grace."

   The bishop bowed. "Thank you for coming." He pointed to a corner of the
room where several chairs and a table were arraigned in a group. "Please be
seated."

   "Thank you," the Knightmaster said as they sat down.

   "How was your journey here?" The cleric asked. "Any trouble?"

   "No," Kenward responded. "The trip was pretty calm thankfully."

   "After the recent troubles, any calm, however brief is a real blessing."
Bishop commented.

   "We are still trying to get a clearer idea of how emotions are going,"
Kenward responded. "But I have ordered all brothers to restore peace and
protect the innocent regardless of what their faith is."

   "I believe that protecting the innocent is in your order's founding
charter," the bishop commented.

   "It is," Kenward answered. "But occasionally we need to be reminded."

   "I've heard rumors that you are traders," the Bishop asked. "Selling
souls and indulgences. Forgiveness of sins."

   The Knightmaster shook his head vigorously. "No," he said with a strong
hint of anger. "Never would we do that. But there are charlatans who claim
to be of the order and the Ecclesia who do trick people out of their money."

   The bishop sighed and shook his head. "I am all too aware of such evil."

   "The order attempts to get rid of them but for every one we arrest
another seems to crop up," Harrick commented coldly.

   "Some evils just resist all attempts to eradicate them," Kenward
commented/

   "Is it true that your order has no financial or material support from the
Ecclesia?" The Bishop asked.

   "The order is self-sustaining," Kenward said with some pride. "But
through honest work and trade. It holds numerous farms and businesses that
grow or produce many things but the largest crop is mustard."

   "Mustard?" The bishop asked. Surprised. "The spice?"

   "Yes your grace," he answered. "I have been told that the Order's mustard
is sold all over the Midlands." The man smiled. "One new customer is
Sathmore."

   The bishop looked at the priest. "Sathmore?"

   "It has become very popular there as of late," Kenward said with a touch
of humor. "Rumor is it even graces the Imperial table in Elvequelin."

   The bishop shook his head. "Does the imperial family know where it comes
from?"

   "I cannot confirm it," the Knightmaster answered. "But they are not
stupid. They must know or at least suspect. Aside from not labeling it as
coming from our order we make no effort to hide the source. We sell it to a
Sathmore Follower merchant in Ellcaran who takes it across the border and
sells it to a Sathmore Lightbringer merchant. They sell it to a prestigious
spice house in Elvquelin itself."

   "That is convoluted," the bishop said with a shake of the head.

   "Indeed but it works," Harrick responded. "Evidently they have been doing
such cross-border trading for generations."

   "We are actually encouraging the trade," Kenward explained. "It means
there are more things crossing the border than raiding parties."

   "Now that is a good thing," the Bishop commented. "It is sure to cut down
on the violence. It means the two groups are doing more than just robbing
and killing each other."

   "Every little act of peace helps," Kenward responded.

    "Our relationship must be redefined," The Bishop announced suddenly.

   "Redefined how?" The knight asked coldly. "We are not your personal
troops. To be at your beckon call. That is what caused so much trouble with
your predecessor."

   The response from the bishop was not what he expected. The cleric nodded
his head. "Until now we have been ignoring each other," the bishop explained
slowly. "Each acting as though the other didn't exist. That must change. We
all walk a different path in life but we must work together to do the Great
One's work. We must coordinate our actions if we are to keep what recently
happened from happening again."

   The Knightmaster relaxed a little. "It would benefit everyone if we did
work together. So long as our independence of control aside from the
Patriarchs alone is assured."

   "Agreed," the bishop responded carefully. "But my own authority and that
of the cardinal must be respected."

   "Of course," Kenward said slowly. "We always respect the authority of the
Ecclesia."

   "I have been pondering some ideas," the Bishop said slowly. "Recent
events have brought something to my attention. You have no official presence
in Marigund."

   "We have in the past," he answered. "It simply agitated things. We do
monitor the country closely. Thankfully it has been peaceful as of late."

   Things are never truly peaceful in Marigund." The bishop commented. "But
the country is quiet. At least for the moment."

   "Nowhere in the Midlands is it truly peaceful," Kenward commented. "There
is always trouble somewhere."

   "All too true. But I am thinking it is time for the order to maintain a
permanent presence in the city," the Bishop explained.

   "Is that wise?" Harrick asked.

   The bishop held up a hand. "Please hear me out. Not a large one. A small
hospital and charity ward. This will not only help the needy but it will
show the order and the Ecclesia in a good light."

   Harrick pondered the suggestion. The bishop had not ordered him outright
but put it as a suggestion. As a separate organization, the Knightmaster was
not bound to follow the cleric's orders. A fact many previous Knightmasters
had fought fiercely to maintain. The only person whose commands they had to
follow was the Patriarch. Still, when someone of the bishop's rank suggested
something you considered it an order. Even if Marigund wasn't even in his
diocese.

   What impressed him was that the bishop had not outright ordered him. That
showed a degree of diplomacy sadly lacking in many nobles and clerics.

   "There is considerable merit in the idea excellency," Kenward responded
slowly. "But it is sure to cause trouble."

   The Bishop leaned forward. "There is undoubtedly a degree of risk
involved. There is a risk of causing some unrest. But it is a risk worth
taking. Things are changing in Marigund and we must help things along. Guide
them."

   "Guide them?"

   "You are aware of the recent troublesome events at the Mages Guild
there?" The bishop asked.

   The knightmaster smiled and laughed. "You have to be more specific. The
mages are always causing some trouble. But I assume you mean the recent
events with the automaton."

   "I do," the cleric responded. "Do you know all of what happened?"

   "Brother Delacot has sent a lengthy report on all that he knows of
Madog." Kenward answered. "But I am lacking more information on the new one,
Salona."

   "What really happened? The leaders of all four faiths met together
peacefully," the bishop asked. "PEACEFULLY. And they actually agreed on how
to deal with the issue."

   "Peacefully?" Kenward asked. Surprised. "Peacefully?"

   "All four groups agreed on a course of action," the bishop added.
"That's never happened before. Ever." There was a touch or surprise in his
voice.

   "Remarkable," was all the knight could say in response.

   "Indeed," the bishop answered. "The cardinal himself has taken a special
interest in this. He was involved."

   "This does change things," Harrick commented. "This is an opportunity we
cannot pass up."

   "In the aftermath of the Questioners visit there last year and now this,"
Kenward commented. "It is a good idea that we keep a closer watch on things
there. We cannot let events get ahead of us."

   The bishop nodded his head in agreement.

   "A Knightbrother and a dozen lay brothers to start with," Kenward
commented. "We could obtain help from among the locals. That should allay
many fears."

   "Just one?"

   "The order is already spread thin," Kenward answered. "But I am thinking
a Wandering Brother. Perhaps brother Culman. He is from Marigund."

   "That would be most helpful," the Bishop commented.

   "Too bad Brother Delacot is occupied," Kenward answered. "He has
experience there. He too was born there."

   "The curse at Metamor has taken him," Harrick countered. "He is no longer
fully human. That would cause issues."

   "Considering that city," Kenward laughed. "In Marigund he might blend in
easily."

   "The curse at Metamor?" The bishop asked. "What has he changed into?"

   "A racing cat. A cheetah," the knightmaster answered.

   "Interesting," the bishop commented. "Has it effected his vows to the
order?"

   "No," Harrick responded a little too forcefully. "Not only is he a
Knightbrother but he is also a paladin. And the strange magic of Metamor
hasn't changed that."

   "The body is just a shell," the bishop commented. "What matters is the
soul within."

   Kenward stood up and walked over to the fireplace. He looked up at the
spot where the portrait had hung but was now empty. "What became of the old
bishop? We have heard ugly rumors about Ammodus."

   The bishop shook his head. "We are still examining what happened. But
measures have been taken to be sure it doesn't happen again. Once the
corruption had been removed he was asked to step down as bishop. It was felt
to be the best path for peace."

   "It will take a lot of effort and a long time to unravel the damage and
pain he caused," Kenward commented.

   "And what of Ammodius himself?" Kenward asked.

   "After his removal Ammodus requested that he be allowed to live a
monastic life. Somewhere distant and isolated," The new bishop responded.
"That request was granted."

   Kenward nodded his head. "I understand. If there is some way that we can
help please feel free to ask."

   "Thank you," the bishop responded. "Together I think we can achieve good
things."

*******************

   The two knightbrothers were silent until they had left the bishop's
palace and were making their way back to the monastery.

   "Well," Kenward asked slowly. "What do you think of him?"

   Harrick nodded. "Soft spoken but there is a certain steel to the man's
soul. I think he will make an excellent bishop."

   "I think if his father believes he can easily control him." Kenward
commented. "The Duke is in for a rude shock."

   "He certainly has a lot to do," Harrick commented. "Unraveling the damage
his predecessor did."

   "We also have a lot to do," Kenward added.