[Mkguild] MK Story part 8 - the finale

Christian Okane chrisokane at optimum.net
Tue Mar 28 03:01:14 UTC 2017

   Their next encounter with the troops from Midtown came just as the group
was setting out for the day. Twenty knights on horseback stood in two lines
blocking the road. Their lances were leveled with their razor-sharp points
aimed straight at the Paladin and his group. At the front was a knight
dressed in full plate mail armor and riding a horse similarly protected.
Covering the animal was a bright yellow cloth. On it was the image of a
stylized feline that might be a lynx rearing up on its hind legs. Below that
was a pair of crossed swords. The shield in the riders left hand bore the
same heraldic emblem Edmund didn't recognize immediately.

   "Do you think our meeting them is an accident?" The woman asked.

   "No," Edmund answered calmly. "They want to show their dominance in this
area by forcing us to turn back."

   "This is starting to become annoying," Terry muttered.

   "This already is annoying." Edmund stood up in the saddle and turned to
his soldiers behind him. "Be careful and do not let them provoke you. But
stand your ground and do not give so much as one inch. If they want a fight
let them start it."

   "They start it," someone in the ranks shouted. "We'll finish it."

   "Who is this?" Terrant asked. "I don't recognize his coat of arms."

   "A local noble," Edmund responded. "Probably sent out in haste. It's too
soon for them to have come directly from Midtown."

   "You cannot pass without the permission of Lord Donel," the man said.

   Edmund didn't answer for a moment but seemed to ponder his next actions.
>From experience Terry knew her leader was trying to decide what to do next.
Suddenly the feline paladin stiffened and she recognized that he had made
his choice. "We of the order of Protectors have the permission of Duke
Thomas himself," he said. "We don't need Donel's permission." He gave a
flick of the reins and his horse started moving forward.

   "HALT!" The nobleman ordered nervously and reached for the hilt of his
sword.

   Edmund looked at the young man with the hardened gaze of a predator. "Do
you want to do that? Not only will you die senselessly but so will all of
your people. Do you want their deaths on your conscience? Do you want to
shed blood here today? I don't think so. You go back to Lord Donel and
inform him that the order does not like his silly antics and interference."
Edmund slowly walked his horse past the nobleman and his troops.

*************

   The town was unnervingly quiet. Terry had been through many similar
little villages in her travels. It was a cluster of a dozen huts and small
houses all lined up on either side of the road. A small church marked the
center of small hamlet. Next to that was a house that had a weathered sign
hanging over the door announcing that it was also a small inn and store. The
sign read simply "Inn," and nothing else. Not even a name. Why bother with a
name when it's the only place in town? What unnerved her was the lack of
people. The streets should have been filled with people; farmers working
fields, herding cattle or just walking about. Instead the street was empty
and all the buildings had their doors closed and windows covered with heavy
shutters.

   "Keep on guard," Terry said out loud to the soldiers she was leading.
"But use restraint. "These people are our people now."

   "Where are they?" An archer asked. The woman had an arrow nocked as she
looked about nervously.

   "In hiding," Terry answered calmly. "What are they supposed to do when a
strange army marches into their village. "It will probably be several hours
before they realize we're not here to loot and rape any of them and come
out."

   The buildings fell away and around them was an open field tilled for
planting but still empty as it was too early in the year for planting. The
long road they were on ended in the stone wall and gate house of a small
castle.

   Calling the structure a castle was an exaggeration. It was a
forty-foot-tall round tower surrounded by a stone wall not even half that
tall. The gatehouse that pierced that wall was merely a small square
projection with a wooden gate, which at the moment was closed.

   Standing in the middle of the road were four wagons, all piled high with
gear that was being guarded by a half dozen figures. Scattered in loose
formations in the fields on either side of the road were a score of
soldiers. Terry easily picked out blue tabards on all of them, marking them
as brothers or lay brothers of the Order of Protectors.

   The column came to a halt just short of the closest wagon. Edmund and
Terry dismounted and walked forward. The figures at the wagon came towards
them and soon it was clear they were full knight-brothers of the order. They
were wearing full plate armor over which was the blue tabard with a gold
cross in the center.

   "It's good to see you brother Nicholas!" Edmund said and hugged the
knight.

   "It's good to see you brother Edmund," Nicholas responded. He looked over
the feline. "That is you Edmund?"

   "It's me," Edmund responded. "A little furrier than before."

   Edmund hugged the other knight. "It's good to see you Brother Giedrius."

   "It's been too long Ed," Giedrius responded as he looked his friend over.
"So it's true. You did go all furry."

   "I go where The Great One needs me," the paladin responded. "How was the
journey from Giftum?"

   "Fine," Giedrius answered. "We made far better progress then we expected.
We've brought six brothers and twenty-four Lay brothers but we have a
complication," the brother-knight said and pointed to the top of the tower
of the small castle. There fluttering in the breeze was the flag of Midtown.

   "Oh you have got to be kidding," Edmund snarled instinctively baring his
teeth.

   "Don't these fools ever give up?" Terry muttered.

   "Now Terry," Edmund said calmly. "These soldiers are merely following the
orders of their overlord."

   "You don't find this annoying?" Terry said. "This isn't harassment. It's
outright theft."

   "Of course it's annoying but we are supposed to be above such petty
emotions," Edmund responded. "But we can resolve this peacefully."

   "You've had issues with Midtown?" Giedrius asked.

   "The entire trip," Edmund responded. "It seems Lord Donel doesn't want us
here."

   "Any bloodshed?" Nicholas asked.

   "No," the paladin responded. "Thankfully. But it was close. Have you had
any interaction with the villagers?"

   Nicholas shook his head. "No. They bundled themselves up when we got
within sight."

   "How do we deal with them?" Giedrius asked and pointed to the castle.

  Edmunds tail whipped back and forth energetically. "I have an idea."

   Giedrius smiled broadly. "All those spots haven't changed you."

******************

The Next Day

   The troops with Edmund had been busy. When they came out of the tree line
the infantry were carrying battering rams and scaling ladders. At the back,
defended by archers and a small palisade was a catapult resting in the
middle of the road leading to the village.

   The feline paladin steered his horse towards the castle. The animal moved
slowly and deliberately as her rider sat as still as a statue; eying the
fortress with the cold gaze of a predator, whose form he now had. When she
was within fifty yards, the horse stopped without Edmund making any obvious
motion of touching the reins.

   "You have stolen," Edmund stood up straight in the saddle. There was a
dangerous light in his eyes. "STOLEN the property of the Order of Protectors
the direct representative of the Patriarch and the Ecclesia. YOU DARE to
deny us our rightful property."

   "This castle is the rightful property of Midtown and we will protect it
to the death," came a voice from the castle walls. The speaker was trying to
sound bold but Terry noticed a faint edge of nervousness.

   The paladin shook his head slowly making sure the gesture was overdone so
all within eyesight would understand. "No. What you mean is that Donel
decided to take what wasn't his to take."

   "Lord Donel . ." The man started.

   "DONEL IS NOT HERE!" Edmund interrupted. "He is not going to come riding
over the hill to your rescue like some child's tale. You. Are. Alone."
Edmund said those last three words in cold, clipped tones that seemed to
ring through the air.

   "Lord Donel will come with an army." The nobleman countered.

   "Good," Edmund said simply. "I can settle our issues with him face to
face like a true knight. But that's for the future. Now we will deal with
you and take back what is rightfully ours." He drew his sword making the
movements slow and exaggerated so that it was clearly visible to everyone.
He pointed the tip of the blade at the castle. "Now. Do you yield and give
up the fortress and all in it or do we take it by the sword? Surrender now,
honorably and you will all go home to your families. If you refuse and we
have to take back our home by force and that will place you outside the
Great Ones mercy." He paused a moment and then leaned forward. When he spoke
it was in a surprisingly friendly tone. "Now what will your choice be? Life
or death?"

****************

   The column filed out of the tower and trough the small gatehouse in
silence. No one spoke and they made few gestures. Last to leave was their
leader. The man was dressed in his full platemail armor that had been
cleaned and polished. The tabard over the armor had been cleaned and
pressed. He rode a roan mare who had a caparison covering it completely. The
cloth was dark blue and emblazoned with gold griffons. When the nobleman was
even with Edmund the paladin held up a hand bringing the man to a halt.

   Edmund pointed to where Terrant was standing. With her was the captured
scout who seemed to be none the worse for his captivity. "He is yours. Take
him with you." There was silence as the scout was helped onto a horse. Only
then did the Knightbrother speak.

   "Tell Lord Donel," Edmund said slowly. "These idiotic interruptions are
becoming annoying. If he wishes to discuss matters with us he can come here
and we'll discuss this face to face. We will gladly talk to him and explain
our rightful ownership of this place. If he wishes to dispute it more
harshly, well then the order will deal with him. Permanently."

   The other noble didn't speak but simply nodded. Then he turned his horse
to follow after his troops.

   Edmund waited till the column had passed through the village before
speaking. "Stealth my friend. Please follow them and be sure they don't try
something bold and stupid."

   Stealth nodded his head. "I have my squad following them already." He
looked at the tail end of the retreating column. "They'll be back
eventually."

   Edmund sighed and nodded. "I know."

The End