[Mkguild] A call to adventure!

Indagare . brenner.mike at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 16:01:38 UTC 2017

It's the year 719 - do you know where your characters are? If they're not
being taken for granite, leafing around, or harnessed to another they could
be out adventuring! Lodovico Buonarroti (Lodo for short) has invented a hot
air balloon for the twentieth anniversary of the Battle of the Three Gates.
After a slight mishap, the balloon landed in front of said gates. I thought
this could inspire some folks inside the keep to see more of the outside
world.

I'd like folks input on what and who they might like to see here. I think
this needs to be a group project or, at the very least, approved by members
with a vested interest in the universe since such a trip will likely touch
upon a lot of different areas and could have unexpected consequences for
the setting as a whole.

1) Where

There are lots of places in the MK world that could be visited by an
adventuring group. I'm open to all suggestions. Even Fan Shoar and Irombi
are possible if we can come up with a reasonable way for folks to get
there. I should note that in the real world there have been successful
trips around the world in hot air balloons:
http://www.eballoon.org/flights/around-the-world-flights.html

2) When

At a minimum the story starts sometime in June of 719 - some five years
after the peace treaty with the Lutins. The minimally story itself would
take place over the course of eighty days from whenever it actually starts
(in keeping with a certain other story). It could take much longer if we
wanted it to, but I would prefer it take no more than a year in-universe.

3) How

The hot air balloon is my planned vehicle for adventure. It would allow for
faster travel than by horse or foot. It also would allow folks to view the
MK world from above and anyone involved could write a bird's eye
perspective on the lands below. *If* people want Lodo would be capable of
designing an airship capable of carrying a number of people in it. In the
real world such balloons can hold up to fourteen people and I'm sure with
some magic it would be possible to carry along various equipment too.

4) Who

At a minimum one Lodo (a colorful pterodactyl inventor) and Turik his
platypus friend (Turik was once half-lutin). I am now consigning these to
to open character status, but I can provide more information on how I see
them if anyone wants. Who *else* will become involved is up to the folks on
this list, which is why I'm inviting everyone.

5) Other

The group has been somewhat quiet. I'm hoping an adventure story could
create some excitement. To that end, if folks would be more interested in
having a rollicking adventure than something strictly canonical, the story
does not *have* to be cannon so long as it gets folks excited and
interested in writing. A couple examples would be *Mysterious Cities of
Gold* and *Pirates of Darkwater* for world-spanning adventures, though
others can be included. If anyone wants, I can copy and paste this over to
the forums too.